Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Shanahan Press Conference: "I haven't made a decision on the starting QB **UPDATE** per John Keim: Cousins will start

Boss_Hogg

He got asked a direct question of whether he believed the reasoning and he went all around actually answering the question.  It's a yes or no question.  If you believe it, you'd just yes and move on.  If you don't believe it, you tap dance around actually saying what you feel  which is that it's BS, so as not to cause trouble.

He answered it precisely how he should have answered it. You make it sound as though it's a bad thing. 

I'd love for Snyder to walk in in the middle of Shanny's presser, go up to the microphone and say "We need to end this press conference a bit early. All non-Redskins personnel please leave. Mike that includes you."

Yeah, and goodluck getting any coach worth a damn to come here.

Say what?

Yes Griffin led this team to a 3-6 record last year so he can get some credit there

Then he led this team to 3 straight wins over all the teams in the NFC East. Credit there

Then he led this team to an 8 point defecate to the Ravens and was injured. No credit there since it was Cousins who led that come from behind win against Baltimore in a game that looked to be lost and it was Cousins who won that game in Cleveland. No credit to Griffin for either of those

Then Griffin won the last two games. Credit there

Score card from that 7 game win streak in reality is that it's

Griffin - 5

Cousins - 2

Oh come off it, dude. Griffin doesn't play defense. Both he and Cousins had 1 TD and no INTs that game. If you really want to split it up then it is 5.5 to 1.5. 

Say what?

Yes Griffin led this team to a 3-6 record last year so he can get some credit there

Then he led this team to 3 straight wins over all the teams in the NFC East. Credit there

Then he led this team to an 8 point defecate to the Ravens and was injured. No credit there since it was Cousins who led that come from behind win against Baltimore in a game that looked to be lost and it was Cousins who won that game in Cleveland. No credit to Griffin for either of those

Griffin - 5

Cousins - 2

Looked lost? RG3 got hurt on the final series as we were driving right down the field.

And pretty sure the word you're looking for is deficit, not defecate. We didn't **** 8 points

So the defense isn't good and the special teams is historically bad, but everyone decides lets just criticize the offense? If thats not what you and other posters are trying to do, then lay off on constantly defending the other parts of the team and actually lay some blame their way. No where yet have I really heard many fans open discuss those issues since everyone would rather pile on either is RGIII or the Oline. Yes, the offense has had trouble, but they're literally the only side of the ball that gets any flack it seems.

Really, no one here has stated or mentioned anything about the defense.  There has not been 1 game where the offense has played 4 quarters of good football, not one.  Our defense / special teams are equally as bad.  The prolblem lies in the fact that people want to give RG a free ride, want to excuse everything bad on the offseason and/or his knee injury.  The offense has been adjusted to allow him to progress as a pocket passer and he has failed at that. 

I am not saying he is a bust, I love RGIII and happen to believe his potential is through the roof, I also believe he needs to spend more time on learning the ins and outs of playing QB and less time in front of TV cameras doing commercials or interviews.

This whole thing is just plain gross.  However, I do feel like sitting Griff is in our best interest going forward.  Our team is in total disarray right now, and he's not gonna gain anything by playing the last three games.  His best days are ahead of him.

I'll be disappointed if he doesn't travel with the team.  That would be a terrible idea.

Good luck to KC.  I hope he plays well. 

Griffin sacked or scrambled on over 20% of his pass attempts vs the Chiefs.

Cousins?  6%.  Same DL.  Cousins faced blitzes (he just adjusted the protection to give himself time), too.  Cousins isn't perfect - he needs to step up into the pocket instead of drifting to the left.  But if history is any indication, our sack numbers are about to go way down.

That is a blatant inaccuracy. The Chiefs dialed back their blitzes and put in BACKUPS when we put Cousins in. 

I voted yes.  RG needs to sit.  Not lose his job, or be 'benched' for bad play, but he needs to sit.

I've reserved comment, because I didn't want my emotions to get the best of me. I feel as though this may be a good move in the long run, albeit we have been given an unbelievable reason as to why.  I'm stoked to see KC play, but not like this.  We'd all rather him get reps in when we're up by 35 in the 3rd QTR.  RG needs to work on his skills, maybe have to relearn how to play QB altogether.  I've never been through a knee reconstruction - I have no idea what it's like.  Maybe he wasn't ready at week 1, and is developing bad habits.  I don't know.

What I do know is that my expectations of this team have not diminished.  I expect us to be the class of the NFL.  I expect football to be played on gameday, not what we have seen this season.  Get it together and play football.  Play football for yourselves, for your teammates, hell - in spite of the coaches, just PLAY FOOTBALL.  Do not go out there and interview for a job at Wendy's, as we have witnessed now for 13 weeks.

Go out there and play for the Fans.  We haven't given up on you like the media has.  We still believe - the Washington Redskins should to.

This whole thing is just plain gross.  However, I do feel like sitting Griff is in our best interest going forward.  Our team is in total disarray right now, and he's not gonna gain anything by playing the last three games.  His best days are ahead of him.

I'll be disappointed if he doesn't travel with the team.  That would be a terrible idea.

Good luck to KC.  I hope he plays well. 

That was media drivel. RGIII said he's gonna be there to help Kirk on the sidelines.

Say what?

Griffin - 5

Cousins - 2

Oh....and also RG3 lead most of that scoring drive in Baltimore when they were down 8. After he threw that pass for a medium size gain he hobbled for about 20 yards to catch up with the team with the Ref standing beside him making sure he wasnt about to face plant and then snapped the ball and threw it away from the blitz then Kurt came in.

RG3 did a good job at the press conference.  He looks so depressed and defeated.  Man, I feel dirty talking **** about him.  I hope he comes back next year healthy and with a vengeance 

You know, purely from that standpoint, I'd LOVE these two ______ to end up in Houston. 

Man would it be UBER sweet to trample the Texans when we play next year in that scenario. 

Hail. 

Good decision Mike. This is win-win, starting RGIII accomplishes nothing. Starting Kirk accomplishes a lot. If he plays well, it increases his trade value and maybe you recoup a draft pick this year or you decide he's the man going forward. If not then nothing lost..

Makes perfect sense to me, but I guess I'm not looking at this is a bias way like 3/4ths of this board.

He answered it precisely how he should have answered it. You make it sound as though it's a bad thing. 

I don't really care whether his style of response is good or bad, I'm only concerned with the substance of it.  I don't see how anybody can take his response as anything other than "I don't believe coach's explanation, I just don't wanna make waves right now."  It was pretty obvious to me what he thought, but whatever.  

So are all you guys that are happy about Kirk starting this week going to be either:

A. Apoplectic if he struggles and whine incessantly about this being the worst team and franchise ever (Shanahan or not) and that there is NOTHING of value here?

OR

B. Over the moon with joy that the new franchise QB has been ordained off one meaningless game in a lost season?

This is a good move for the long-term of this franchise regardless of whether Kirk plays well or poorly.  It will show us whether the sack problem is on the QB or the offensive line.  It will show us whether the big play problem is on the receivers or the QB.  It will show us whether the scoring problem is on the QB or the offensive coordinator.  All of these questions have much better answers with Cousins starting a game or two than with Griffin playing the final 3.

This is a good move for the long-term of this franchise regardless of whether Kirk plays well or poorly.  It will show us whether the sack problem is on the QB or the offensive line.  It will show us whether the big play problem is on the receivers or the QB.  It will show us whether the scoring problem is on the QB or the offensive coordinator.  All of these questions have much better answers with Cousins starting a game or two than with Griffin playing the final 3.

So last year never happened? Jury is still out on Robert? :)

Archived