Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Shanahan Press Conference: "I haven't made a decision on the starting QB **UPDATE** per John Keim: Cousins will start

Boss_Hogg

This is a good move for the long-term of this franchise regardless of whether Kirk plays well or poorly.  It will show us whether the sack problem is on the QB or the offensive line.  It will show us whether the big play problem is on the receivers or the QB.  It will show us whether the scoring problem is on the QB or the offensive coordinator.  All of these questions have much better answers with Cousins starting a game or two than with Griffin playing the final 3.

These next 3 games prove nothing and show nothing. Eagles are winning the division, Cowboys and Giants will probably have nothing to play for two Sundays from now, None of these teams have an effective pass rush or defense in general. All it will do is A ruin Kirk's trade value or B create a QB controversy and drive Robert to another team. Either way it will be turmoil. Thankfully the season is nearly done.

Good decision Mike. This is win-win, starting RGIII accomplishes nothing. Starting Kirk accomplishes a lot. If he plays well, it increases his trade value and maybe you recoup a draft pick this year or you decide he's the man going forward. If not then nothing lost..

Makes perfect sense to me, but I guess I'm not looking at this is a bias way like 3/4ths of this board.

So we would gain something out of this if we wasted all those picks on RG3? And let's say Kirk plays well, at best we probably get a 2nd for him. If he does play well, why would we trade him if we know we have a valuable insurance policy?

I don't really care whether his style of response is good or bad, I'm only concerned with the substance of it.  I don't see how anybody can take his response as anything other than "I don't believe coach's explanation, I just don't wanna make waves right now."  It was pretty obvious to me what he thought, but whatever.  

So what did you want him to say? Of course he's not ****ing happy. Would you be happy if you just lost your job or got a demotion?

We should ALL be rooting for Kirk. This is his chance to earn us a draft pick back and earn his opportunity to be a starting NFL QB somewhere. He's a good QB, and I think he'll do well if our OL can provide him some decent pass pro. 

One advantage I think Kirk has is that he's not a threat to run the ball. That may not seem like an advantage, but in our offense, with all of the bootlegs and PA, defenses usually won't consider Cousins a threat, and therefor won't account for him in the bootleg/PA game. With Griffin, you rarely see him come out of a bootleg or PA without the backside defender accounting for him. With Cousins, I've seen that teams(the Browns last year especially) will crash down the line, and Cousins usually has more time to set up without that defender concerned about him running. Should be interesting to watch.

So we would gain something out of this if we wasted all those picks on RG3? And let's say Kirk plays well, at best we probably get a 2nd for him. If he does play well, why would we trade him if we know we have a valuable insurance policy?

So what did you want him to say? Of course he's not ****ing happy. Would you be happy if you just lost your job or got a demotion?

I'll try to say it again, I don't care if he's happy or not happy.  That wasn't the question to him.  The question wasn't about his feelings.  It was do you or do you not believe the reasoning.  

So last year never happened? Jury is still out on Robert? :)

Last year did happen, and unfortunately the more we take into account the results of last year, the more it looks like our offense sucks this year because of RG3.

Sacks?  RG3 took a high rate last year.

Big plays? RG3 made them last year.  Better receivers this year, less big plays.  It's probably the QB who is (injured / didn't get an offseason to practice / excuse du jour)

Points?  We scored them last year.  Better players this year.  Less points.  It's probably the QB.

You don't think putting Kirk in there provides valuable feedback about who is to blame for our offensive ineptitude this season?  If we blow the doors off the other teams, clearly it was RG3's fault.  If we suck ass, then RG3 was helping us rather than hurting us, and we need to overhaul most of the positions on offense as well as the scheme.  If we're somewhere in between, it's a gray area and we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

I'll try to say it again, I don't care if he's happy or not happy.  That wasn't the question to him.  The question wasn't about his feelings.  It was do you or do you not believe the reasoning.  

Why does that matter to you? You believe in Shanahan's reasoning? Has it brought us success so far over his tenure as coach? You go what you wanted this week, be thankful.

Last year did happen, and unfortunately the more we take into account the results of last year, the more it looks like our offense sucks this year because of RG3.

He tore his ACL. Had no offseason to prepare. His head coach saw last year and wanted to quit after it. Not valid excuses? :)

Archived