Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Shanahan Press Conference: "I haven't made a decision on the starting QB **UPDATE** per John Keim: Cousins will start

Boss_Hogg

I'm not saying that Shanny isn't trying to cover his butt, he probably is.

But, is it so hard to believe that he really wanted Griff to finish out the season (to get him all the reps he could get), but after watching our play the last few games, he started to rethink the situation a little bit about shutting Griff down?  

Or, do we think he shut down Griff without talking to Bruce or Snyder as a shot at Danny?

The first scenario seems more likely.  The second one seems to be more entertaining.

If RGIII didn't win the heisman, wasn't the #1 overall pick, wasn't ROTY, etc, everyone here would be jumping for joy and wondering why this didn't happen 6 weeks ago.  He hasn't played well all season, I know every game I have watched, at some point I was asking "why not give Kirk Cousins a shot, couldn't be worse".  I know he lost a lot during the offseason, I for one do believe he felt the need to come back early to save his job.  I believe Kirk Cousins is a better fit for the offense Mike Shannahan and Kyle run, I think Mike used the excuse of "I want to protect RGIII from injury" to do something he has probably wanted to do for awhile, which is play Kirk Cousins and see what he can do.

If Kirk plays like we all think he can, then this offseason can be spent either trying to trade Kirk or open it up to a true competition.  Maybe that is what needs to happen.  RGIII came here not having to fight for anything, he was annointed the starter the minute he was drafted, now, we will see how he reacts to having to compete for the starting job.  It is a problem with a lot of young players, instead of earning something, they feel entitled to it.

The more i hear, the more I think that behind the scenes there is more of a consensus on these issues then the media wants to admit, because in that case it takes away their ability to sensationalize the situation and paint every party involved against each other.

If you ignore the media and just listen to what is coming from the team itself, it certainly sounds like everyone is on board with this decision. Even Robert sounds surprisingly understanding of the situation and isn't resisting it publicly. (Privately who knows, but that would not be surprising for a starting QB anyway).

I am not saying everything is swell, or that Shanahan will be back next year, but as far as the decision to start Cousins for the last 3 games go, I don't buy in to the media's hyping of this as anything more then what the team is telling us.

So Shanny kept stressing the Chiefs only had 2 sacks in their last 5 games. Guess he forgot coming into that game that KC was top 10 in sacks and the only reason they had so few was because 2 of those games were against Peyton Manning? Where does Atlanta rank in sacks coming into this one you ask, 27th. They have 27 sacks all season. 8 sacks over the last 5 games and 5 of those came last week against GB. But right, he's worried he could get hurt playing in a dome, on field turf, against the 27th ranked team in terms of sacks. Makes perfect sense to me!

Man I hope anyone of you attending the Dallas game gives him concerted HELL from the stands to let everyone know just how we feel for this rat has done to our franchise. 

Hail.

Oh, you know he's gonna be able to hear me on Sunday! :angry: I'm so pissed, and the only thing keeping me together at this point is meeting up with the Atlanta chapter of ES!!!

There is one possibility nobody has considered

That Shanny is shelving RGIII because of the beating he is taking and he wants him healthy going into OTAs. ;)

In all seriousness at this point in the season I actually like this decision. Lets find out what cousins is worth, lets rest RGIII and protect him, and lets play for the highest 2nd round pick we can get. I actually really like this idea

I agree.  I'm not bothered by it at all.  Whatever has been done is done and very few things could correct it. 

- If it's the middle finger to Dan...well, Shanahan was probably on the way out anyway. 

- If theres' problems between Mike and RG3...well, who cares because Shannahan was probably on the way out anyway.

- If he's really trying to keep him from getting destroyed...well, he's probably thinking for next year and it's a smart move to play Cousins

Regardless, at least this gives us something interesting to watch.  From this point forward (hopefully), one of two things will happen:

1) Cousins will flourish and the HC next year could trade one or the other

2) Cousins does nothing behind the garbage on roller skates we call an O-line and we can finally stop hearing "We need to play Cousins"

(and for the record, I loved the Cousins pick despite what the rest of the area was saying)

Besides...the local media was getting bored and this bought them AT LEAST another two weeks of BS to sling around, if not an entire off season.

Somewhat related, here's a not so outlandish prediction:  Shanahan quits or is fired, Bears don't re-sign Cutler, both re-unite somewhere next season, possibly Houston or Tennessee.  (I don't believe the reports that the Texans will not hire him if he's fired)

My thoughts .. I'm beyond tired of the people calling for Shanny's head.  It doesn't matter what he said you guys will twist it into him being the biggest lying POS coach ever.  He wants Griff to have a full offseason of work.  He had a gut feeling last year during the game to pull him and didn't, which he openly just admitted he's still beating himself up for.  He obviously has a gut feeling it's best to sit him. 

That's the end of the story.  Everything else is the media and people with ulterior motives trying to read into his words to make another story or blast him in any way possible.  Every Shanny hater on here sounds exactly like a young Snyder to me.  You're just as guilty at doing what you've blasted him for all those years.  I can only hope that Snyder has learned from his mistakes unlike yourselves and try to keep this franchise stable.

Oh, you know he's gonna be able to hear me on Sunday! :angry: I'm so pissed, and the only thing keeping me together at this point is meeting up with the Atlanta chapter of ES!!!

I have mentioned today on here, which you probably missed, I fear Georgia won't of seen such carnage that your first game without your QB will Sunday since the burning of Atlanta in Gone With The Wind. 

And I don't say that flippantly. 

Hail. 

Man I hope anyone of you attending the Dallas game gives him concerted HELL from the stands to let everyone know just how we feel for this rat has done to our franchise. 

Hail. 

I'll be one of the 100 Skins fans there.

I don't think our voices are gonna be heard with the 80,000 Cowboys fans in attendance.

After watching that ... All I can say is WTF jus happened ?? He took all the blame for Seattle injury .. And said he has all the power and said he had Bruce and dans endorsement a week ago to shut rg down... Madness

He most certainly did not. He made it sound like he was while throwing Andrews under the bus and talking about how Robert lied to him about it.

Slam the coach on an internet forum.  Screaming at him while he's trying to manage a football game does not help the team.

Dude. The team has quit on him and the season regardless. Players aren't stupid. they know how to get a Coach out. And that's on the field of play. Witness the last few games. 

The season's done. He's done. 

Hail. 

I like the decision now because I don't want someone obviously at odds with the QB calling plays for him.

It might result in him getting off to a hot start like 16/17 1 TD in a half then being forced to run the triple option in the second half on the way to a season high 12 carries.

Wait whut? That already happened in the Giants game? Whoops.

Yeah I'm all for the shutdown of Griffin.

Archived