Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Shanahan Press Conference: "I haven't made a decision on the starting QB **UPDATE** per John Keim: Cousins will start

Boss_Hogg

Of course not. If you are not 100% behind the owner, coach, and every player, you're not a true fan.

Sie werden sich hinsetzen. Sie werden ruhig sein. Sie werden nicht beleidigen das Redskins.

(No idea what that means, but it was funny as hell when it was on Family Guy.)

It means "You will sit down.  You will shut up.  You will not insult the Redskins."

And suggesting that you not scream at the coach while he's trying to coach the team to a win is not the same as saying you have to be a mindless disciple of everyone in the organization, but apparently the interpretative skills of some on this board have been shown to be a bit lacking.

He may not be, but there is a chance.

One thing a Shanahan returning scenario has going for it is that the decision won't be finalized for at least another month. Tensions tend to calm over time, and I suspect that will happen here. A few weeks from now, cooler heads may prevail and both sides might realize that one more season is in the best interest of both parties.

when were done going 3-13 with one of the worst and most embarrassing skins seasons in the history of the franchise, you really think dan is going to let him finish it out?  fans will actually stop showing up if hes still here next season.  we all joke that we all keep coming back, casual fans and a lot of the people that fill up the stadium will actually not show up.

no chance dan sits on his hands and watches that.  walk that through even further, lets say in the horrid off chance shanahan is back, and we start 2-6 or something awful, does dan just watch the same terrible season on repeat?  cant chance that.

btw, mcnabb is probably swimming in a bathtub of 100 dollar bills eating filet mignon and watching shannys press conferences on a loop just laughing until he vomits.

If he fires Shanahan, it has nothing to do with his reputation as a meddling owner. No one should blame Snyder for firing Shanahan considering his record.

Sure, I know that and you know that, no one SHOULD blame Snyder, but I'm talking about perception.  Almost doesn't matter what the truth is.  Snyder's past doesn't have the luxury of the truth overriding perception.

when were done going 3-13 with one of the worst and most embarrassing skins seasons in the history of the franchise, you really think dan is going to let him finish it out?  fans will actually stop showing up if hes still here next season.  we all joke that we all keep coming back, casual fans and a lot of the people that fill up the stadium will actually not show up.

no chance dan sits on his hands and watches that.  walk that through even further, lets say in the horrid off chance shanahan is back, and we start 2-6 or something awful, does dan just watch the same terrible season on repeat?  cant chance that.

I don't buy that. I don't think any significant number of season ticket holders will cancel if Shanahan is brought back for the final year of his contract. Especially not after the fireworks we're probably going to set off in the free agent market this off-season.

No, I'm pretty sure Dan and most of the people here will be expecting another 12 win season come next August...

It means "You will sit down.  You will shut up.  You will not insult the Redskins."

And suggesting that you not scream at the coach while he's trying to coach the team to a win is not the same as saying you have to be a mindless disciple of everyone in the organization, but apparently the interpretative skills of some on this board have been shown to be a bit lacking.

I don't think some booing as he comes out of the tunnel is out of line after the past few days, sorry. Especially when they're not playing for anything.

just would have liked Shanny to say it is also partially for performance.... for whatever reason....as well and wanting him to get/be healthy...

I mean we are 3-13 and our team is playing poortly and getting piss poor QB play.

Kirk and the team deserve to see Kirk play.

Why just anoint RG3??  It's a disservice,  make him feel like he needs to earn and keep that job with great QB play and winning games...

Superstar/Celebrity, King Boss Anointed One, doesn't help the "team" at all...as we see...

B Belicheck/Parcells would have said "he also needs to play better and have better production...we're going to see what Kirk can do"...

I don't think some booing as he comes out of the tunnel is out of line after the past few days, sorry. Especially when they're not playing for anything.

I don't have a major problem with you booing him coming out of the tunnel.

But I disagree when you say they aren't playing for anything.  They're playing for their paychecks, both present and future.  they're playing for their teammates.  Heck some may even be playing for the coach or the fans.  the chances of them playing fo the fans I'm sure will diminish if all they hear is booing though.

just would have liked Shanny to say it is also partially for performance.... for whatever reason....as well and wanting him to get/be healthy...

I mean we are 3-13 and our team is playing poortly and getting piss poor QB play.

Kirk and the team deserve to see Kirk play.

Why just anoint RG3??  It's a disservice,  make him feel like he needs to earn and keep that job with great QB play and winning games...

Superstar/Celebrity, King Boss Anointed One, doesn't help the "team" at all...as we see...

B Belicheck/Parcells would have said "he also needs to play better and have better production...we're going to see what Kirk can do"...

Because despite all the conjecture, perhaps Shanahan really doesn't want to ruin his relationship with his franchise QB (any further than it may already be depending on where you think that relationship currently stands) and while he may tell RG3 that privately doesn't feel any need to share that with the rest of the world.

I don't buy that. I don't think any significant number of season ticket holders will cancel if Shanahan is brought back for the final year of his contract. Especially not after the fireworks we're probably going to set off in the free agent market this off-season.

No, I'm pretty sure Dan and most of the people here will be expecting another 12 win season come next August...

season ticket holders are just as fickle as most normal casual fans.  theres a lot of people with excess income in this area that love having tickets for when the team is good, and consider it a sunk cost when they dont.  one of my best friends has season tickets, hasnt been to a game in a few weeks cause he just stopped caring about the hassle.  why spend all that time in traffic both ways, sit in the freezing cold, spend all that money on food and drinks, and spend an entire day watching a terrible product on the field when you can stay home and watch the same circus side show on TV?

sure dan gets the season ticket holder money upfront so thats not lost, but parking/food/drinks/merch is all lost, as is the general embarrassment at the empty giant stadium.  if you want more proof of that check out the KC game pic at half time the other day.

Interesting to hear Steve Young's comments on ESPN. Young is a great football mind, has played QB, has often praised RGIII and also loves Shanahan so he has a unique perspective.

Young basically said Shanahan expects a lot from his QB's even in their second year. Expects them to be able to see all receivers on a play instead of just 1 or 2.

Young feels Shanahan benching RGIII is the right move as he just isn't getting it done.

When Young was reminded that Shanny said the reason was to RGIII and prevent injury, he hesistated and blew off that being the reason.

Shanahan should just have the guts to say he is benching RGIII for his poor play and desire to see what Cousins can do instead of using the guise of trying to protect him...

Can someone tell me when this has happened before?

When a starting, franchise QB was sat for the last three games when by the HC's own admission he's 100% healthy?

This is utter, self serving madness. Nothing more. Nothing less. 

Hail. 

I think it was Shanahan, three years ago with McNabb.

And Shanahan in 2006 with Plummer and Cutler.

Only two coming to mind I'm afraid.

I haven't read all of this thread to see if anyone else agrees with me, but Shanny knows he isn't returning. We all know he or Kyle will land on their feet with another team as the head coach and/or as an asst. My guess is he wants to evaluate Cousins closely because he may want to take Cousins with him in the form of a trade if he likes him and he goes somewhere in need of a QB.

I don't have a major problem with you booing him coming out of the tunnel.

But I disagree when you say they aren't playing for anything.  They're playing for their paychecks, both present and future.  they're playing for their teammates.  Heck some may even be playing for the coach or the fans.  the chances of them playing fo the fans I'm sure will diminish if all they hear is booing though.

I don't really have an issue with them losing out after elimination, but as far as playing for the coaches or another paycheck... I don't particularly want this coach back, and a few (lot) of the players aren't worth much either way.

I think it was Shanahan, three years ago with McNabb.

And Shanahan in 2006 with Plummer and Cutler.

Only two coming to mind I'm afraid.

Not sure I'd really compare those. Plummer wasn't much of a "franchise quarterback" and they had obviously already drafted Cutler in the 1st to be the future...add to that Plummer was having a really bad year when he got benched. 

McNabb? I dunno. Was he really a "franchise quarterback" for us? I always saw him as more of a short term stopgap who Shanny thought could help us win some games before he got his guy in the draft.

I must say, I have been at work and just heard the news.  I honestly felt Shanny would not go through with benching RG3.  I was actually very surprised.  If you look at this move from anyone else' perspective, you have to be scratching your head.   Griff has not been up to form this year. However, he still has helped lead this offense to be a top ten offense in yardage per game.  They always say this is a game of inches and when you think back throughout the year, you can realize just how close we were in some of the games we lost.  Had our D been able to make a stop when needed against anyone, we would not be 3-10.  Had our Special Teams not been the worst I have ever seen, we would not be 3-10.  Had our receivers made some plays (AR against Detroit)(Sleepy Davis/ Pierre against the Giants, we would not be 3-10.  Had Kyle called games with more consistency/focus on running, we would not be 3-10.  So the answer is to shut down your reigning rookie of the year qb, a team captain for the rest of the year.  Why?  So he won't get hurt.  Well, Mike, why did you consistently allow your son to call triple option runs that got his qb nearly killed this year?  Why did you allow the media and fans to talk you into starting him at the beginning of the season when he could have used the extra time to fully heal and prepare for the season?  Sorry...starting to ramble. 

I don't have an answer, never will.  Kirk may come in a play great.  If he does, I will be glad.  I will cheer him on.  But I fear McNabb may have been correct when he warned us that the Shanny boys would ruin RG3.  

HTTR

There's a big difference in a season opening game and a 3-10 game.  A big difference.  If we were still in the hunt, Griff would be out there.

Point taken. Being stubborn and surly from the recent events....

Say he gets re-injured week 1 misses the season.

Or injured in week 16 and misses the off season.

Which is worse? 

Ok they both suck.

Mike is playing the off season grooming is more important than live fire angle, but I dont believe it to be true. We are talking 3 games, not the 2nd half of the last game.

He is by choice stripping 3 full games. Nothing that can be taught in OTAs can be taught now?

Players get injured in practice. Every. Single. Year.

Was just listening to Greg Cosell on Czaben's/Cooley's show.   He's been critical last season and this season about the offense saying it holds back RG3's development as a passer.  

He bascially said --

1. Rg3 is the no brainer starter for next season -- he's super talented

2. He thinks Cousins can avoid sacks better right now becuase he's a rythmn style passer

3. He thinks it makes no sense to bench RG3 -- he needs the reps

4.  He thinks Cousins has a good chance to light it up becuase Atlanta and Dallas pass defenses are awful 

Not sure I'd really compare those. Plummer wasn't much of a "franchise quarterback" and they had obviously already drafted Cutler in the 1st to be the future...add to that Plummer was having a really bad year when he got benched. 

McNabb? I dunno. Was he really a "franchise quarterback" for us? I always saw him as more of a short term stopgap who Shanny thought could help us win some games before he got his guy in the draft.

There isn't an answer because there isn't a precedent. No HC has ever been as dumb.

It's absolutely reprehensible that he's done this for his own self serving purpose in his pissing contest with Snyder and is hiding behind 10's health. 

Hail. 

Archived