Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Shanahan Press Conference: "I haven't made a decision on the starting QB **UPDATE** per John Keim: Cousins will start

Boss_Hogg

Our win loss record is remarkably poor considering we are the second best rushing team in the NFL. It doesn’t seem that that would be possible however our defense and special teams give up way too many yards.

Mike has told Dan that he doesn't want to be here?

You may not realize it, but you're straw-manning our argument as being about RG3 not winning games, when really it's simply that the O (and specifically, the passing game) looks pathetic.

RG3 isn't winning games, it's true.  But I'm not even mad at him about that.  I think even a very good QB would struggle to go more than, say, 9-7 with the amount of big plays our special teams has given up.  Bad defense can be compensated for with good offense.  But bad defense, combined with epicly bad special teams is probably too much to overcome even with a top-tier offense.

But the passing game has really struggled.  And a lot of that, if you look at the coaches' film, is because the QB won't throw the ball to open receivers.  If there are linebackers underneath the throw, he will hardly ever throw the ball.  If the receiver is about to flash open, but is still in the process of making his break, he will hardly ever throw the ball.  This isn't about being a film guru - you can literally see on the film that RG3 is looking at the receiver and refusing to throw.

So why not throw in Cousins and see if the offense actually looks better?  Maybe we don't need to bring in multiple new OL.  Maybe what we have is enough to win football games as long as the QB is decisive with the ball.

Don't overthink it?  I would hope everyone does more thinking: Shanahan, Snyder, RG3, etc. so that they can fix the problems rationally as opposed to believing every rumor that's out there and making rash emotionally charged decisions.  Lack of thinking is what got us here in the first place.

Dan is already doing that. The Snyder of old would have fired Mike at the 3-6 point last season. What in god's name does RG3 have to think more about? He hasn't done anything wrong. He's nothing more than a pawn in Mike's game. 

What actions?

The "supposed" (lack of denial on his part) that he was ready to quit last season; and the benching of RG3. That's really all you need to see. The RG3 benching is nothing more than a shot at Snyder. 

Mike wants to stay, yet is deactivating a guy he used 4 picks to acquire less than 2 years ago?

Yet is healthy.

He can be fired for that alone.

If he was the wrong pick, a dumb move, then it's still simple. Sorry Mike, we don't trust you any more to make trades nor draft players. What is to stop Mike from using 4 more 1sts on someone in April?

I can say I want Mike to stay.  Is it true? Nope. Talk is cheap.

Mike clearly does not even trust himself to look after RG3 and nothing will change if he is here next year. Mike has clearly not protected him well (think Seattle), and is claiming to be afraid of injury now.

He will assemble his fly weight OL and the dangers will still be there. With his son still calling the wrong plays. I do not expect Mike to change one thing if he is retained.

Dan is already doing that. The Snyder of old would have fired Mike at the 3-6 point last season. What in god's name does RG3 have to think more about? He hasn't done anything wrong. He's nothing more than a pawn in Mike's game. 

The "supposed" (lack of denial on his part) that he was ready to quit last season; and the benching of RG3. That's really all you need to see. The RG3 benching is nothing more than a shot at Snyder. 

So he’s going to bench Robert, tank the season, go 3-13, get fired, and then go out next year and attempt to get another head coaching job in the NFL while killing his son’s career. Gotcha. That makes sense. I swear you guys have not thought your conspiracy theories out very well.

So he’s going to bench Robert, tank the season, go 3-13, get fired, and then go out next year and attempt to get another head coaching job in the NFL while killing his son’s career. Gotcha. That makes sense. I swear you guys have not thought your conspiracy theories out very well.

So I take it you think Shanny is telling the truth when he says he's "shelfing" RG3 to prevent an injury and have him ready for the offseason? Whatever helps you sleep at night brother.....

Edit: And this is coming from the same coach that kept him in the seattle game until the wheels came off, and played him in week 1 despite the obvious fact that he wasn't ready. Yeah, I'm buying that explanation.....

Mike wants to stay, yet is deactivating a guy he used 4 picks to acquire less than 2 years ago?

Yet is healthy.

He could fired for that alone.

If he was the wrong pick, a dumb move, then it's still simple. Sorry Mike, we don't trust you any more to make trades nor draft players. What is to stop Mike from using 4 more 1sts on someone in April?

I can say I want Mike to stay.  Is it true? Nope. Talk is cheap.

Mike clearly does not even trust himself to look after RG3 and nothing will change if he is here next year. Mike has clearly not protected him well (think Seattle), and is claiming to be afraid of injury now.

He will assemble his fly weight OL and the dangers will still be there. With his son still calling the wrong plays. I do not expect Mike to change one thing if he is retained.

How could Mike get fired for benching Robert when the move was OK'd by Dan and Bruce? With all due respect you really should get your facts straight before you post. You haven't posted anything correct so far.

So I take it you think Shanny is telling the truth when he says he's "shelfing" RG3 to prevent an injury and have him ready for the offseason? Whatever helps you sleep at night brother.....

Edit: And this is coming from the same coach that kept him in the seattle game until the wheels came off, and played him in week 1 despite the obvious fact that he wasn't ready. Yeah, I'm buying that explanation.....

That's it? Respectfully you should at least attempt to support your claims.

I don't know if he is capable of logical thought after reading the ignorant blathering he's trying to pass off as a post.

Snyder would have fired him last year, blah, blah, blah.  Snyder a guy who has only fired two HC's, one he inherited that should have been gone before Snyder bought the team, and one that had no experience, never mind any business being a HC, in Zorn.  Yet, he is one of the mind zombies who still tries to pass off the ridiculous myth that Snyder just fired people left and right.  The same owner that was willing to give Spurrier more chances. 

Then, he goes on to say that RGIII hasn't done anything wrong.  I'm so over the ignorance on this board and the hyped up agendas.  EVERYONE has a role in this mess.  EVERYONE.  RGIII has done plenty to help bring us to this point, including the way he started the offseason off with media speculation because of his constant running his mouth to the media.  He has had to back-peddle to the media several times in the past 8 months because he runs his mouth and says things he should not have said, especially in the way he said them.  If he was not culpable for helping the media frenzy in anyone's eyes, than those people are either blind or refusing to open them.

Then, he goes on to call the RGIII sitting a shot at SNyder.  Hint:  if you're going to take a shot at someone, you don't sit down and talk with them first and get their permission.  Seriously, the ignorance and pure stupidity around here is growing to an all time high.

Looks like Madden does not agree with it:

But his playing is going to to help him,” Madden continued. “He needs experience, he needs snaps, he needs reps, he needs to get his confidence back. And if it’s a problem of taking too many sacks and too many hits then BLOCK BETTER for him. Get some better blockers, get a better scheme, go an extra lineman sometimes, go an extra tight end, chip a good pass rusher, do SOMETHING to help him other than to shut him down. Where did shut him down ever come up in football? I never heard shut him down. I mean, that was a baseball thing — a pitch count, he’s thrown so many, now we’re going to shut him down. I’ve never heard of a football player ever being shut down. Now if he’s hurt, that’s a different story. If he’s hurt and can’t play, then we’re talking about a different ballgame here.”

And we have an integrity piece here, too,” he continued. “You can say well they’re 3-10, they’re out of it, so now they can do these things. No you can’t. This is still regular-season football. Draft order, that’s one small thing, but you still owe it to the people that are playing, that are still in the playoff picture. And when you can affect that and you don’t affect it with an all-out performance, then I think that affects the integrity of the game….If you’re in the regular season, there’s only one way to play, and that’s to play your best people to win the game, every regular season game.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/12/11/john-madden-rgiii-shutdown-is-baloney/

I wouldn't think so because Shanny sure won't be here. 

That's what I am wondering...  If Shanny is proven right by benching RG3 and saying Kirk gives us our best chance to win these next 3 games.  Is that enough to keep Shanny and if so would RG3 want to stay?

How could Mike get fired for benching Robert when the move was OK'd by Dan and Bruce? With all due respect you really should get your facts straight before you post. You haven't posted anything correct so far.

It's all politics man. I suppose you believe everything you hear??

Mike is openly admitting he is afraid to use his best player for fear of injury risk.

He is poking a stick at Dan in hopes of getting fired so he doesn't have to clean up the turd he and his son have left on the fifty yard line at Fedex. Trying to look like the innocent victim and trying to hit a jackpot at the same time.

Mike played his hand perfectly. Let's assume he was not lying when he said he cleared the benching with Dan. Allen? Why is he in the discussion again?

Let's say Dan says no. There is Dan again, meddling. Just like my mole team told you. How can i coach under these circumstances. None of this mess is my fault. Cleans up his resume for his next gig, Kyle's too.

Dan is stuck between a rock and a hard place. Shanahan is pure genius evil.

Assuming he asked Dan, that is why Dan said yes. At least he knows Kyle's bad play calling and Mikes horrid OL will not be risking physical injury to RG3. We need 1-4 new linemen, a WR, likely a TE, the defense is in shambles, our 2 best guys go invisible for games on end. We have issues.

I want Mike fired alone so RG3 doesn't have to put up with this crap for another year.

Mike Shanahan is not needed to win football games.

That's it? Respectfully you should at least attempt to support your claims.

That IS supporting my claims. Those are called facts. 

Fact: Shanahan played an injured RG3 in the Seattle playoff game.

Fact: RG3 was injured again during that game. 

Fact: Shanahan now claims he is benching a 100% healthy RG3 to prevent an injury. 

If that's not contradictory, I don't know what is. Sorry, but I don't believe a word out of his mouth any longer. And just 2 weeks ago, I was actually supporting bringing him back. But after all this....no way.

You obviously do, and have shown that to be a fact with your posts over and over again.

Example? That's not the case.

Edit: For what's it worth, I watch the press conferences, and games, and read as much as I can in order to form a thoroughly thought out opinion based on as much factual evidence as possible. 

And what would you expect Snyder to say ?

"No Mike, I insist that you play RGIII !!"

How well do you think that would go over ?

Looks like Madden does not agree with it:

But his playing is going to to help him,” Madden continued. “He needs experience, he needs snaps, he needs reps, he needs to get his confidence back. And if it’s a problem of taking too many sacks and too many hits then BLOCK BETTER for him. Get some better blockers, get a better scheme, go an extra lineman sometimes, go an extra tight end, chip a good pass rusher, do SOMETHING to help him other than to shut him down. Where did shut him down ever come up in football? I never heard shut him down. I mean, that was a baseball thing — a pitch count, he’s thrown so many, now we’re going to shut him down. I’ve never heard of a football player ever being shut down. Now if he’s hurt, that’s a different story. If he’s hurt and can’t play, then we’re talking about a different ballgame here.”

And we have an integrity piece here, too,” he continued. “You can say well they’re 3-10, they’re out of it, so now they can do these things. No you can’t. This is still regular-season football. Draft order, that’s one small thing, but you still owe it to the people that are playing, that are still in the playoff picture. And when you can affect that and you don’t affect it with an all-out performance, then I think that affects the integrity of the game….If you’re in the regular season, there’s only one way to play, and that’s to play your best people to win the game, every regular season game.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/12/11/john-madden-rgiii-shutdown-is-baloney/

I've always respected Madden's insight, but he crossed a line with the integrity thing.

I'm trying to find where he has blasted the Colts for affecting the integrity of the game by sitting Peyton Manning for the last 3 games of the season after they clinched home field advantage.

It may take a while.

I don't know if he is capable of logical thought after reading the ignorant blathering he's trying to pass off as a post.

Snyder would have fired him last year, blah, blah, blah.  Snyder a guy who has only fired two HC's, one he inherited that should have been gone before Snyder bought the team, and one that had no experience, never mind any business being a HC, in Zorn.  Yet, he is one of the mind zombies who still tries to pass off the ridiculous myth that Snyder just fired people left and right.  The same owner that was willing to give Spurrier more chances. 

Then, he goes on to say that RGIII hasn't done anything wrong.  I'm so over the ignorance on this board and the hyped up agendas.  EVERYONE has a role in this mess.  EVERYONE.  RGIII has done plenty to help bring us to this point, including the way he started the offseason off with media speculation because of his constant running his mouth to the media.  He has had to back-peddle to the media several times in the past 8 months because he runs his mouth and says things he should not have said, especially in the way he said them.  If he was not culpable for helping the media frenzy in anyone's eyes, than those people are either blind or refusing to open them.

Then, he goes on to call the RGIII sitting a shot at SNyder.  Hint:  if you're going to take a shot at someone, you don't sit down and talk with them first and get their permission.  Seriously, the ignorance and pure stupidity around here is growing to an all time high.

Agreed. I enjoy the back and forth on the issues but its disappointing when someone’s posts are totally based on rumors, assumptions, and just plain inaccuracies.

You really believe the move was OK'd by Dan and Bruce. OK. I can't believe anyone would believe any other word that comes out of Shanahan's mouth. HE has final say on EVERY decision despite trying to have people believe that Snyder is just pulling all the strings on QB moves.  Dan and Bruce are just stuck right now because they don't want to make a bad situation worse so they probably just said do whatever you want since we're firing your behind in 3 weeks anyway.

Agreed. I enjoy the back and forth on the issues but its disappointing when someone’s posts are totally based on rumors, assumptions, and just plain inaccuracies.

To be perfectly honest with you man, so do I. I am cool headed enough to carry on a friendly debate or talk about it. 

Maybe a poll should be created.

Who do you want to lead our team into the future. RG3 or Mike Shanahan. The other is gone. Take your pick. Show your allegiance.

I am stunned so many believe the beaver but think a lot of it has to do with all his off the field chatter where he has portrayed himself off as a kind old caring guy, all of a sudden. Chatter that mind you does nothing for this team on game day.

He is a tough SOB if you ask me, which is why I thought we hired him. To clean up the mess. Our record aside, it is a complete mess and was so before he deactivated his starting QB. Factoring in what may well be the leagues worst record... nuff said. Moving forward, the potential for a full on QB controversy is well on its way. Exactly my fear when we drafted Cousins instead of taking, oh, I don't know, an OL perhaps. One that can simply hold his own in pass pro.

I already know I will be annoyed at Kyle calling plays repeatedly that work well for Cousins.

Perhaps he is saving his franchise QB's psyche. You've seen him play this year, right? He should have been benched earlier, but a lot goes into the decision making when its your golden boy you gave so much for him. Saying its to protect him from injury in meaningless games, since he is the franchise, is better than saying he is too out of shape to run the hurry up, or is playing like second string at Marshall and we need to look at our other QB. But you guys are probably right. Shanny is just trying to destroy the team and everyone around him, including himself. That makes much more sense.

Archived