Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Shanahan Press Conference: "I haven't made a decision on the starting QB **UPDATE** per John Keim: Cousins will start

Boss_Hogg

He better go ahead and bench Jordan Reed too because he might get concussed again, and might as well bench Garcon too so his foot doesn't act up anymore. Oh, and "shut down" Orakpo too, because you never known when that pectoral is going to tear again.

Oh, wait, I forgot that this is just another way of saying "cardiovascular endurance." As others have already correctly pointed out, why start RG3 in the freezing snow, where the ground is harder, against one of the top defenses in the league, only to bench him in a dome against one of the worst defenses? He's such a liar it's sickening.

You're not comparing the value of any of those players to Robert are you? I hope that you're not.

Pretty sure he's kept Jordan Reed out for 3 games for precisely that reason. And as Shanahan explained in his presser, the quarterback is a unique position, and RGIII is specifically in a unique position himself, compared to Orakpo, Riley, et al

Honestly, I can't imagine the vitriol that would be spouted here if Shanahan kept RGIII in for the next 3 games and he suffered another debilitating injury. Another ACL, possibly ending his chances of ever reaching his ceiling. People would be accusing Shanahan of putting Griffin in the way of injury when there was nothing at stake, from not learning from his mistakes (Seattle game), for trying to bolster his career win-loss record and HOF credentials.

It's crazy. It's not like Griffin is improving -- outside of two drives against the Giants, he's been playing bad football for a month. The majority of the season really. And he's NOT getting better with these precious reps - his yards per attempt the last 3 weeks are 6.3, 6.5, and 4.5 - his worst 3-game stretch of the season.

The risk of RGIII suffering another devastating injury is marginal. It's marginal. But that marginal risk is still not worth whatever could possibly be gained from him playing these next 3 weeks.

That's a false premise, IMO.  There's a HUGE difference between the Seattle game and now.  Huge.  If he were gimpy right now, that'd be one thing.  He's supposedly 100%.  A 100% young QB needs to be playing through adversity.  If he's getting hit too much, there are ways to avoid that and he needs to learn how to not take those hits in a game and make better decisions.  I'm not one that thinks there's nothing to be gained from RG3 playing the last 3 games.  And he's not gonna learn anything running the scout team.  

Finally got around to listening to mike's presser today. He said much more than he usually says, and what he says makes more sense than anything else I've been hearing.

Watch it, if you haven't. Do you really get the impression he is lying?

I think this is as open as I've ever seen Mike. Sure the team stinks and he gets the blame for that, but I'm not buying the Shanahan conspiracy anymore after seeing this.

I will add it is amazing the amount of credence we put in unnamed sources. There have been times I thought ES was the "source with knowledge of the situation."

Kirk said the right things in his presser, nothing really to see there. The Shanahan and RG3 ones were just odd to me though. Shanahan more or less taking blame for the Seattle game, being open and seemingly "honest" and overall talking a lot more than usual. Plus, I'm sure it's been touched on, but did anyone notice and/or find it strange how many times Robert mentioned coach's authority in his presser? Can't be an accident. I think I counted 4 or 5 times in the short amount of time he talked. It's like they script this stuff and the media and fans are the ones getting played. I don't know what to think anymore. 

Finally got around to listening to mike's presser today. He said much more than he usually says, and what he says makes more sense than anything else I've been hearing.

Watch it, if you haven't. Do you really get the impression he is lying?

I think this is as open as I've ever seen Mike. Sure the team stinks and he gets the blame for that, but I'm not buying the Shanahan conspiracy anymore after seeing this.

I will add it is amazing the amount of credence we put in unnamed sources. There have been times I thought ES was the "source with knowledge of the situation."

It's hard to differentiate fact from fiction when someone lies as much as Shan.

After reading several posts "believing" that garbage that spewed from Shanahan's mouth yesterday, I have some ocean front property in Oklahoma I have been dying to unload for the right price....all of you Kool Aid drinkers message me and I will hook you up.

Complete bs on his part and I have been on this board defending this guy in the past. No longer will that happen, I cant wait for this guy to pack his notebook and his ipad after all that is all he has in his office and heading out the door.

After reading several posts "believing" that garbage that spewed from Shanahan's mouth yesterday, I have some ocean front property in Oklahoma I have been dying to unload for the right price....all of you Kool Aid drinkers message me and I will hook you up.

HOLY CRAP!  U HAVE OCEAN PROPERTY IN OKLAHOMA?  I R INTERESTED!  SURFIN IN TEH TORNADO WEATHER IS AWESOME!  SOUNDS LIKE IT'S MY LUCKY DAY!  KOOLAID IS GUD TOO!

A big part of which problem?

Our offense that can't score points despite facing pansy defenses every week and having Pro Bowl quality talent at each skill position, including all pro talent at TE and RB.

We have other problems that appear to not have easy fixes - our defense has been bad for years, but we haven't really had the cap space to do a major overhaul and we've gotten unlucky with some key injuries that could have potentially helped it.  Our special teams is horrible, and obviously that guy is gonna get the can as soon as the season is done.

Our offense is a problem, though, there's no denying it.

So, a couple scattered thoughts...

I'm sure Shanahan is doing this mostly to give Kyle a chance to show off his offense with someone who makes quicker throws. So, no matter what his reasons are, that is playing a role. Still, I do think the number of hits is a very defendable position to take so he's covered there. In the end, I think the decision is self-serving, but I don't believe Mike has turned into an evil villain twisting his mustache while trying to destroy the Redskins in his final month.

No matter how we get to that point, having Griffin 100% healthy for the entire off-season is a positive. It's also something that I've read on this board for months now. So, we can't have our cake and eat it too. In a lost, horrible season we will at least have our young QB go through an entire off-season able to develop, not rehab. This is especially important with the new staff coming in.

I actually enjoyed this version of Shanahan much more. He took plenty of accountability for the playoff game, which was refreshing. It's too bad we didn't hear more of this over his 4 years here.

I'm oddly excited to see how Cousins can do in an extended audition. Not a relief appearance. Not a one-week sprint as a starter. But he'll have 3 weeks to prepare as the starter and play games. That will be fun to watch because I'm high on him (moreso as a member of the team than as a trade chip, but either outcome is good if he plays well).

Our offense that can't score points despite facing pansy defenses every week and having Pro Bowl quality talent at each skill position, including all pro talent at TE and RB.

We have other problems that appear to not have easy fixes - our defense has been bad for years, but we haven't really had the cap space to do a major overhaul and we've gotten unlucky with some key injuries that could have potentially helped it.  Our special teams is horrible, and obviously that guy is gonna get the can as soon as the season is done.

Not sure how to respond to the pansy defense comment but talent at the skill positions doesn't necessarily equate to success. You need talent in the trenches and on defense. We have neither.

I can't believe how many people are getting snowed by Shanahan's well shenanigans. This isn't about protecting RG3 from injury. He just trotted him out in on snow covered field against one of the leagues best defenses last week. The Redskins are facing three of the worst passings defenses in the league over the last three weeks of the season. He's stacking the deck for Cousins to leave a dumpster fire for next years coach. 

I can't believe how many people are getting snowed by Shanahan's well shenanigans. This isn't about protecting RG3 from injury. He just trotted him out in on snow covered field against one of the leagues best defenses last week. The Redskins are facing three of the worst passings defenses in the league over the last three weeks of the season. He's stacking the deck for Cousins to leave a dumpster fire for next years coach. 

No to mention Kyle called 12 QB running plays against the NY Giants a week earlier.

Safety my ass.

No one has any idea what his motives are. But, I do know that Griffin has played against 2 of these 3 defenses already so he had a shot to light them up. I don't know where Atlanta stacks up as compared to some other crappy defenses we've played, but I think it'll be an apples-to-apples comparison.

i thought i was the only one who noticed our lack of scoring vs mostly poop defenses. 

hot and cold offense (mostly cold). its mind numbing. 

offense is absolutely a problem, hopefully remedied by a healthy QB, better line, and an OC who can call plays that our players can execute. 

Ok now that the 17th horse named "our offense is bad, admit it admit it admit it admit it RGIII had a bad year" has been beaten to death, I think now we can return to saying every phase of the game has been dreadful and the team isn't well coached and needs major overhauling.

I'm sick to death of the people who feel this inner need to make sure everyone says the offense is a problem and RGIII sucked this season. Its like a disease. No one is saying that our offense is fine and perfect and we only need to fix the oline and its superbowl time.

Alfred Morris all pro at RB? I like the guy but he's possibly not even a top 5 back (AP, McCoy, Lynch, definitely, Matt Forte and Jamal Charles probably better, given that AlMo isn't a great blocker nor a threat in the receiving game at all). Reed an all pro TE seriously? He might develop into that but not now. You're also the guy who thinks we have a stud OL.

It's ridiculous the extent to which you distort reality to slam RGIII, but then, you're either ASF or one of his groupies, and let me just say that cherrypicking stills is not analysis.

Except that the people saying our offense is bad are being factual and the horde ranting that all of our problems are SOLELY due to a nefarious Mike Shanahan plot prevent us from fixing all the other problems not named Mike Shanahan this team has.

What I would like is for Snyder, or if he is incapable of unbiased investigation, somebody with a brain to investigate all of this talk and determine what ALL the problems are with the team.  That way they can then provide this information to Snyder and he can make an INFORMED decision about firing Shanahan or keeping him, pushing to fire Kyle, Haslett, Burns, etc., improving his scouting department, locking down his people that may be spreading these rumors, etc.  I want the problem fixed right.  By laying all the blame at Shanahan's feet blindly and ignoring all the other issues with the team you set up whoever the next coach is for the same failure all the other past coaches have experienced.  For once, do some homework Dan and uncover the truth about all the problems now, so that whatever decision you make isn't going to put us in this same position 3 or 4 years from now.  If the investigation shows it truly is all Shanahan fire him.  If it shows that RG3 is the issue, determine if Mike and Kyle are able to work with him, or determine if Kirk is the answer, or fire Shanahan and bring in someone who can work with RG3.  I would love to have RG3 be our franchise QB, but I would love to be a consistent winner more, and if RG3 for whatever reason is not that guy then get me whoever will be.  If Dan himself is the issue, he should back the hell off.  If it's personnel decisions, take that away from Shanahan and/or improve the scouting department.  If it's Shanahan's personality send him to freaking charm school.

Please just be thorough and use real data to fix the problem because that's the only way this crap gets fixed.

I'm sick to death of the people who feel this inner need to make sure everyone says the offense is a problem and RGIII sucked this season. Its like a disease. No one is saying that our offense is fine and perfect and we only need to fix the oline and its superbowl time.

good! i'm sick of pointing out that our "5th or 6th ranked offense" (according to mike shanahan) or "7th ranked offense" according to some posters isnt anywhere near that good. 

so, that makes us even.

Good Lord now even JoeT has been duped by Mikes podium shanahanagans

Saying he wants Mike back next year.

Usually, when you tell you boss you want out, they go ahead and expedite that 2 week notice and get you out asap.

Why in the world would anyone want Mike back next year when he clearly does not want to even be here? To save Dan 7M?? He would more than make up that write off by getting a better coach in place for next year.

good! i'm sick of pointing out that our "5th or 6th ranked offense" (according to mike shanahan) or "7th ranked offense" according to some posters isnt anywhere near that good. 

so, that makes us even.

Our win loss record is remarkably poor considering we are the second best rushing team in the NFL. It doesn’t seem that that would be possible however our defense and special teams give up way too many yards.

Good Lord now even JoeT has been duped by Mikes podium shanahanagans

Saying he wants Mike back next year.

Usually, when you tell you boss you want out, they go ahead and expedite that 2 week notice and get you out asap.

Why in the world would anyone want Mike back next year when he clearly does not want to even be here? To save Dan 7M?? He would more than make up that write off by getting a better coach in place for next year.

Mike has told Dan that he doesn't want to be here?

Mike has told Dan that he doesn't want to be here?

I must have missed it.

Why did Mike not dispute the reports that he didn't want to be here when given the chance?

Why wouldn't those highly respected reporters he works with exclusively contact him directly, versus releasing hearsay immediately before kickoff, of all times. Or, Mike immediately reach out to them and tell them it is a lie.

Only after his leaks created a firestorm of negative publicity about him, has he back tracked in any way.  His feeble attempt to get fired, back fired. Horribly.  Dan simply is in no position to replace him at this moment. Allen is no help "what about Kyle" Facepalm, George, facepalm.

I do not trust him at this point. No matter his words, his PATHETIC record says more about him than any info his mole team can spew. 

Dont over think it. His talk is cheap. And it is dumb to retain a 3-10 coach in year 4 of a rebuild.  He could be fired for not replacing Burns, alone.

Our win loss record is remarkably poor considering we are the second best rushing team in the NFL. It doesn’t seem that that would be possible however our defense and special teams give up way too many yards.

agreed. our D and ST are really bad, clearly. 

i would say that our O ability to score points is remarkably poor considering we are #2 overall in rushing and we've played so many bad defenses. 

then again, SD had the #1 O and #1 D in '97 and didnt make the playoffs. 

I must have missed it.

Why did Mike not dispute the reports that he didn't want to be here when given the chance?

Only after his leaks created a firestorm of negative publicity about him, has he back tracked in any way.

I do not trust him at this point. No matter his words, his PATHETIC record says more about him than any info his team can leak

You must have missed what? I don't follow you.

I must have missed it.

Only after his leaks created a firestorm of negative publicity about him, has he back tracked in any way.  His feeble attempt to get fired, back fired. Horribly.

I do not trust him at this point. No matter his words, his PATHETIC record says more about him than any info his mole team can spew. 

Dont over think it. His talk is cheap. And it is dumb to retain a 3-10 coach in year 4 of a rebuild.

Mike said he wants to stay.

We still have no proof Mike is the source of the leaks that everyone pretty much agrees make Mike look bad so it makes little sense that he would leak them.

I wholeheartedly agree his record should be used as data for whether he is kept on past this year.

Don't overthink it?  I would hope everyone does more thinking: Shanahan, Snyder, RG3, etc. so that they can fix the problems rationally as opposed to believing every rumor that's out there and making rash emotionally charged decisions.  Lack of thinking is what got us here in the first place.

Archived