Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Shanahan Press Conference: "I haven't made a decision on the starting QB **UPDATE** per John Keim: Cousins will start

Boss_Hogg

The Oline has massive problems but Robert's play has compounded it.   He does not step up into the pocket, opting to go backwards too much making it hard for the Oline to keep him clean.   He may not develop the skills to be a pocket passer.  He's super athletic and talented in his style of play.  That may never translate to him being an above average pocket passer.   They need to get back to what works for him.   It's a style he's effective in and that gives him confidence.     I wouldn't be surprised to see Cousins have a better game from the Pocket.  He has more skill with that aspect of the game.   Doesn't mean  he'll be the better long term QB,  though he may be if we insist on fitting Robert into a pocket passer. 

Not sure I'd really compare those. Plummer wasn't much of a "franchise quarterback" and they had obviously already drafted Cutler in the 1st to be the future...add to that Plummer was having a really bad year when he got benched. 

McNabb? I dunno. Was he really a "franchise quarterback" for us? I always saw him as more of a short term stopgap who Shanny thought could help us win some games before he got his guy in the draft.

Well true it would depend on your definition of "franchise QB".

He may not be, but there is a chance.

One thing a Shanahan returning scenario has going for it is that the decision won't be finalized for at least another month. Tensions tend to calm over time, and I suspect that will happen here. A few weeks from now, cooler heads may prevail and both sides might realize that one more season is in the best interest of both parties.

He may not be, but there is a chance.

One thing a Shanahan returning scenario has going for it is that the decision won't be finalized for at least another month. Tensions tend to calm over time, and I suspect that will happen here. A few weeks from now, cooler heads may prevail and both sides might realize that one more season is in the best interest of both parties.

There's no way to know that. A lot of people think Snyder hasn't already fired Shanahan only because he wasn't even considering an in-season firing before the media leaks on gameday and embarrassing display last weekend. It takes a little time to put together a plan. If we get embarrassed again this weekend and there's still a media **** storm, it could happen after this game.

Holy ****! Go read the breaking news section and see what LaConfora has to say about Shanny. I'm surprised.

On my way! Thanks for the heads up.

"Dan could care less about the other positions." - Mike Shanahan

What in the hell does that mean?

It means that Shanny felt he needed to consult with Dan about benching Griff, where he wouldn't have to with other positions.  

The quote is totally out of context.  I know Shanny is not coming back, but let's try to stay reasonable here.  I saw the presser and the comment is not newsworthy.  At all.

It means that Shanny felt he needed to consult with Dan about benching Griff, where he wouldn't have to with other positions.  

The quote is totally out of context.  I know Shanny is not coming back, but let's try to stay reasonable here.  I saw the presser and the comment is not newsworthy.  At all.

B/S. It's been taken on the way it was said.

If you think it, fine. But DON'T say it for Pete's sake. 

It was a veiled shot at Snyder to make him look worse. And it risks turning most of the guys in the locker room not a QB against the owner. 

Double whammy win/win for the rat. 

Hail. 

It was a veiled shot at Snyder to make him look worse. And it's risks turning most of the guys in the locker room not a QB against the owner. 

Hail. 

That comment won't mean one iota of anything to anyone in the locker room.  The only people who will care are the media divas and writers, just like the whole rest of this soup sandwich.

I'm just ready for it to be over.

Shanny will be gone in three weeks.  Prepare for your parade. :)

It was a veiled shot at Snyder to make him look worse. And it risks turning most of the guys in the locker room not a QB against the owner. 

Hail. 

the Redskins players are closer to Shanny than we are.  If he's worth trusting right now they'll know better than we will

I think it was pretty obvious in the press conference that Shanny was doing his best job at making it seem like everything is fine and they're just salvaging a dead season so that if he gets fired he can still get work by saying Snyder meddled and was the cause of the drama and problems. It was a good speech, but also obvious that he was going to try and put out the flames since he still wants either a spot in Canton or a spot in the NFL.

It was a veiled shot at Snyder to make him look worse. And it's risks turning most of the guys in the locker room not a QB against the owner. 

Hail. 

Yes because it makes complete sense for Shanahan to lie about talking with Snyder about sitting RG3 and continually throw Snyder under the bus in order to get fired from his $7 million dollar a year job, just after personally leaking that he almost walked away from the team prior to a playoff game.

He did this because he knows that another owner will look at his recent 3-10 record, give up on the team attitude and continual shots at his previous owner and think, "I got to get me some of that" and pay him more than Snyder did.

Completely logical.

Had to make a couple edits to make your post more accurate. I still love when people try to use win/loss record to judge a QB.

What is the one thing any QB can do to keep his job? Win

What do you expect your starting QB to be able to do? Win

What is a QB's 1st and most important job? Win

You judge your QB's by Wins and Losses. Losing QB's costs coaches jobs as we've seen here for years. If a QB continues to lose they are replaced. Just like now. If Robert was winning the past five weeks and making it look like this was a competitive team which it's not been minus two drives in that Giants game then NONE of this would be happening. Because Robert can't move this offense and score points Coach is sitting him down.

The issue that most have is the business of "protecting him from an injury" because it's untrue.

Coach isn't coming out and telling you the real reason he sat Robert because he doesn't want to shake Robert's confidence any more then he has to.

The reason that Cousins is starting now is because Robert is not Winning, he isn't playing well, and he is still holding the team back. Coach says "Robert needs the offseason" but what he's really saying is "Robert needs time to practice so he can play better". The injury thing is simply a mask over saying Robert is playing poorly

Interesting to hear Steve Young's comments on ESPN. Young is a great football mind, has played QB, has often praised RGIII and also loves Shanahan so he has a unique perspective.

Young basically said Shanahan expects a lot from his QB's even in their second year. Expects them to be able to see all receivers on a play instead of just 1 or 2.

Young feels Shanahan benching RGIII is the right move as he just isn't getting it done.

When Young was reminded that Shanny said the reason was to RGIII and prevent injury, he hesistated and blew off that being the reason.

Shanahan should just have the guts to say he is benching RGIII for his poor play and desire to see what Cousins can do instead of using the guise of trying to protect him...

That would've been the much wiser strategy.

That would've been the much wiser strategy.

It would still of been ridiculous. 

Will Cousins be starting here next year? Not in any reality. Robert will. He's the franchise QB of this franchise. He's 100% healthy as per the coach. Yet we're going without precedent and sitting our healthy, franchise QB under the pretense of his health for the last three games of the season?

The lies through that press conference, and the last 4 days, are so thick there blinding. 

Hail. 

"Dan could care less about the other positions." - Mike Shanahan

What in the hell does that mean?

It looks like Cooley took it the same way I did.

It means that for almost any other position on the team, Shanahan could probably take any action and Dan wouldn't bat an eye brow or say a word to him. However, if he did something with the QB, Snyder would probably at least be inquiring about it or possibly having an issue with it.

And it makes entire sense. Even if someone as integral to the team over the years as London Fletcher got benched I don't think Dan would take any special kind of notice, nor would the media. However, benching your starting QB...the face of the franchise, the guy you gave up 3 picks for, the guy whose largely revitalized your customer base...is going to generate significant media attention and is probably going to cause the owner to sit up and go "Why'd you do that?"

Outside of Griffin, there is not a single player on the roster whose benching, cutting, or something of the sort would likely have a distinct impact on the actual business of the team. Which is why, as Owner...under the current agreed upon power structure...it's reasonable to believe Snyder couldn't care less about those players in regards to personnel actions. However, the benching of Robert Griffin, and what that can be construed to mean, DOES have a legitimate chance of impacting the acutal business of the team short and long term and thus IS likely to concern the Owner.

I agree, it SOUNDED badly. But I instantly understood what he meant, and it sounds like an ex-player understood it that way as well. Which, given the way Santana Moss refused to take Lavar's BS baiting all yesterday during his appearence, I imagine is how the locker room will take it as well.

Does anyone seriously believe he was on the brink of walking away before the Seattle game?

Seriously?

Hail. 

I don't.  But it's a media report so inevitably some people will take it as gospel if it adds to whatever narrative they've constructed.

I think it's more likely something annoyed him to the point he was like, "Screw this I'm done." and then after a moment (a couple of minutes or a night, maybe) to think about it, came to a more rational way forward.  Still no factual evidence to suggest what it may have been that annoyed him, but meh.

Archived