Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Shanahan Press Conference: "I haven't made a decision on the starting QB **UPDATE** per John Keim: Cousins will start

Boss_Hogg

I'm a major lurker on this board and I May get roasted for this, but here I go.

Up until an hour ago I wanted shanny's butt out of DC with Tyler polumbus under one arm and Chris Chester under the other. But I just watched the presser from today and I gotta tell you all, my mind is changed. I think the media has kicked up a lot of ****, and because shanny has one year left on the contract and the team is at 3-10 and playing their worst ball arguably ever, it was easy to buy into it. But mike just stood in front of redskins nation and owned it all. He owned Seattle (which goes along way with me). He was open and speaking honestly. He didn't hide from anything and certainly didn't seem like a guy who wants out. Before this year I was very fond of him and where this team was headed. This year has been the PITS, no doubt and I won't be able to forget that quick enough. But after what I just saw. Let Snyder and shanny talk at the end of the season. If dan brings him back, I'm all for it. I actually prefer it. We never let people finish what they start here. Having a healthy rg3 and some free agency money for the first time in years may greatly benefit. Think back to last year and how awesome that was. I'm not letting anyone off the hook or giving a pass, but let's let him finish what he started. There is no guarantee a new coaching staff is the answer either ( though Haslett NEEDS to go ). If mike is fired in the end, so be it. As of now I hope he stays and gets a chance to right the wrongs. Boy o boy what a year huh? The things we do for this team LoL

HTTR BABY!!!!!!!!!

If Cousins plays like the fourth Q of the cheifs game and is just average and unable to sustain drives, don't go anywhere, Just own it.

It's a good move regardless of how Cousins plays, and the fact that you think I have to "own it" reveals a lot about how stuck you are in the frenzied fanboy mode that has overtaken our fanbase.  "Own it"...as if missing those 3 games is going to forever destroy RG3's career, and I'll forever be losing sleep at night, wondering why I destroyed such a prosperous career by wanting to see somebody different for 3 games at the end of a 3-10 season.

It's a good move if Cousins does well.  It's a good move if Cousins does terribly.

Why?

Because without making this move, how do we know why the offense sucks?  Is the OL ****ty, in which case holy **** because we need to replace 4 starters on that line if so.  Is the scheme ****ty?  In which case we need to replace our OC and likely HC.  These are huge, drastic moves that will affect our franchise for the next 2 or 3 seasons.

But what if it really isn't any of that, and it's actually the QB?  What if it's just 1 player?  Then replacing 4 guys on the offensive line, the HC, and the OC is a waste.  All that money, down the toilet.  Because if it's really the QB, all that money we waste on a new OL, and all that time we waste getting a new coach and new system installed, won't really change all that much.

So how do you find out if it's the QB?  Take him out for a few games and see if the problems magically go away.  Sure, Griffin loses 3 games of his "development".  That's peanuts compared to our franchise losing 2-3 offseasons worth of free agent acquisitions, when there wasn't really all that big of a problem in the first place.

So if Cousins sucks, so be it.  That means we really do have an emergency here.  But at least we know for sure.  If he's good, then RG3 was likely a big part of the problem.

And i think both Snyder and Shanahan understand Snyder's rep of being a meddling owner that Snyder would probably like to avoid coming back.  it's probably taking everything in Snyder's power to hold back and lay low.  But if Shanahan keeps pushing, Snyder won't have a choice.  

It's funny we're now at the stage where the consensus is swinging to the view that Dan is too slow in sacking a HC and we should dump Shanahan mid season.  If he follows it up with an Allen/Brown combination to get our new coaching staffs in it will be a big step forward.

From his view point this off season's regime change is a good one.  Lot's of CAP and existing young stars to generate interest after a crappy season, and as a fan he has the chance of a quick turnaround back to winning ways.  These players won a division and we're gonna add 4 or 5 good starters to them and good coaching.

Personally I'm liking the wait until the season is over approach it's looking like.  I want Kirk to look good and get traded this off season rather than next.  An extra pick in the top two rounds so we can potentially draft two starters as well as CAP space.  Ii don't want Griffin hurt not able to work with our new coaches.  If I'm Dan I might have been thinking shut down Griffin myself.

Shanahan must have talked himself out of ever working in the NFL again.  Except for maybe Mara, they're both snakes.

Thank you. It's good to see there are a few of us here that haven't completely given into conjecture and unsubstantiated speculation.

If I were you, I wouldn't waste my time with all the drivel and nonsense on this board right now.

Now is not the time for any sort of rational, coherent thought, common sense, or logic. No one is listening.

Now is the time for the whiners and screamers, with their inane babble, ridiculous conspiracy theories, and irrational hatred.

Just be like a fireman observing a giant tire fire.

All you can do is watch the board burn. B)

I find it interesting that someone would say that Kyle doesn't adjust his play calling since he successfully instituted the read option in the NFL and several teams decided it was so successful that they would copy it.

i think kyle did a good job of adjusting the scheme to suit the team needs last year. 

as far as in game adjustments, b mitch, trevor matich and cooley have all roasted kyle for lacking in that department. 

WOW! Had to work all day and avoided all the news alerts and visiting sports site.  All I have to say is the more things change the more they stay the same.  Let's review:

Disgusting on field play ... check

Coach on hot seat ... check

QB controversy....check

Basement record team dominating news headlines... check.

I don't agree with the benching personally, but I will root for Kirk all the way (how can you not?) and will ride with this roller coaster team through all the ups and downs. FML!  

It's a good move regardless of how Cousins plays, and the fact that you think I have to "own it" reveals a lot about how stuck you are in the frenzied fanboy mode that has overtaken our fanbase.  "Own it"...as if missing those 3 games is going to forever destroy RG3's career, and I'll forever be losing sleep at night, wondering why I destroyed such a prosperous career by wanting to see somebody different for 3 games at the end of a 3-10 season.

It's a good move if Cousins does well.  It's a good move if Cousins does terribly.

Why?

So if Cousins sucks, so be it.  That means we really do have an emergency here.  But at least we know for sure.  If he's good, then RG3 was likely a big part of the problem.

tl;dr

You care enough to write an impassioned essay about the situation so don't pretend to be cool as the rule about it.

I wonder what McNabb has to say about all these shenanigans by Shanahan. And I wonder what Josh Morgan and Fred Davis have to say. It's everybody's fault but Mike Shanahan. How does an NFL coach use media operatives to try to get his way like this? It's like watching a spy/horror movie gone wrong. This is unbelievable!!!

Anyone remember this thread by Old Fan? http://es.redskins.com/topic/369056-i-dont-trust-the-shanahans/?hl=%2Bdon%26%2339%3Bt+%2Btrust+%2Bshanahans

This was one bold assessment of our coaches even before the season began.

I just looked at a very lengthy post (well lengthy for me) that I made in this thread. I felt like throwing up. Especially the last part I put in there. I said Allen and Shanahan built this team to compete with "ANY" team in the league. I was so naive :(

I just looked at a very lengthy post (well lengthy for me) that I made in this thread. I felt like throwing up. Especially the last part I put in there. I said Allen and Shanahan built this team to compete with "ANY" team in the league. I was so naive :(

20/20 hindsight.  If everyone knew what this season would bring we would've all fired Shanahan after the Seattle game.  Wouldn't that have been crazy at the time?

That's why I'm still a little thinking "Why not go through another season with Shanahan?" or "12-4 and NFC Championship game" or BUST!  That's just as crazy as firing Shanahan after last season.  

Winning cures everything.  Losing breaks everything.  It's been a crummy season.

Yes just my opinion, but the media and Shanny haters seem to be blowing things so out of proportion it's unbelievable.  I can't blame them either, all the attention is keeping them busy.  I just think he is getting an unfair shake right now. 

People can keep saying he's the one creating it, but that's all assumption as well.  Just look at today, he actually gives a longer press conference, and people will run with any little hint of something they didn't like.  He's torched either way.  The media will continue to bring new "leaked" stories and the countdown to his firing will continue. 

I truly believe he's not the source of all the drama, it's the media, and this place has turned into "The Real Housewives of Skins Nation".

I'm not sure we can say these are undisputed facts.

It does sound like Shanahan was close to walking out for some reason.  I don't believe I've heard Shanahan say what the reason was.

The rumors about friction between Kyle and RG3 is also unsubstantiated by either Kyle or RG3.  Or any named source that I've heard yet.

Not sure I've heard indisputable accounts of the relationship between RG3 and Snyder.

Here are some of my undisputed facts:

- The team stinks this year.

- There is blame all around for this failure, to include the coach, the coordinators, and the players, including the QB.

- The Redskins have a bullseye on them from the media.

- Shanahan has said he's benching Griffin for Cousins the remainder of the year.

I would love to have more undisputed facts.

Are those absolutely undisputed facts?  Seems to me it was Graziano that published that story, not Schefter.  Nobody has confirmed that Kyle and Griff do not get along.  We are going on hearsay, unnamed sources, and opinions.  Here's what we DO know..

Shanahan says he would like to come back

Snyder hasn't said anything

Griffin isn't playing as well as he did last year

The defense and special teams are abysmal

The rest seems to get made up.  If someone asks a question and the coach or player doesn't give an answer, they fill in the blank however they see fit. 

do you think a HC or OC is going to say "yes, its true, we dont get along"?  you think shanny will say "no, i dont want to come back"?

i dont even know how to respond to that without sounding like a bad person. 

http://www.espn980.com/shows/the_sports_fix.php#

FF to about the 6:45 mark of schefters spot to hear specifically about griff and mike if you dont want to listen to the whole thing. but, you probably should, given your posts. 

we're not making this up. this is actually happening. 

And I wonder what Josh Morgan and Fred Davis have to say. It's everybody's fault but Mike Shanahan. 

while i was wrong about shanny, mcnabb, hanesworth, davis and morgan are/were all garbage football players with the skins regardless of shanny also being garbage. 

its not a zero sum game. 

Finally got around to listening to mike's presser today. He said much more than he usually says, and what he says makes more sense than anything else I've been hearing.

Watch it, if you haven't. Do you really get the impression he is lying?

I think this is as open as I've ever seen Mike. Sure the team stinks and he gets the blame for that, but I'm not buying the Shanahan conspiracy anymore after seeing this.

I will add it is amazing the amount of credence we put in unnamed sources. There have been times I thought ES was the "source with knowledge of the situation."

When we drafted Cousins, I thought it was a bad idea.  It showed that we didn't have faith in RG3.  Almost two years later and I still think it was a bad choice, for multiple reasons.  One, we needed to fill other areas.  We had just spent tons to grab RG3, and now we're drafting another QB?!?!  With all our other needs??  Stupid move.

Furthermore, as soon as RG3 struggles, people are going to want to see Cousins (for good reason).  We should've just stuck with RG3, and not allow for there to be any other options if we really want him to be our franchise QB. 

What's silly is that I think we should've started Cousins to begin the season and given RG3 a few extra weeks to recuperate.  I don't care what the doctors said, play it safe and let your huge investment heal up.  Don't know what the point was throwing him in there with no preseason reps.  In retrospect, that was incredibly dumb.  How do you expect RG3 to hop right into opening kickoff and start playing?  Then watch him struggle week after week.  Cousins should've been in there a long time ago. 

Basically what I'm saying is that this team does nothing right.

Finally got around to listening to mike's presser today. He said much more than he usually says, and what he says makes more sense than anything else I've been hearing.

I think this is as open as I've ever seen Mike. Sure the team stinks and he gets the blame for that, but I'm not buying the Shanahan conspiracy anymore after seeing this.

I will add it is amazing the amount of credence we put in unnamed sources. There have been times I thought ES was the "source with knowledge of the situation."

I said it earlier in here when I was watching it live...to me he looked agitated, fidgety, and very defensive. That isn't usually the hallmark of someone who is being candid and honest. Either way, it doesn't make that much sense as to why now he suddenly decided that Griffin was taking too many hits. Someone asked him why he didn't bench him before the KC game since it was horrible conditions and their defense is very good and has been getting lots of sacks this year. He gave some talk around non-answer about them not having many sacks the last couple of games. Huh? That's it? 

I still don't think we're getting the real story here. What the real story IS...well we may never know for sure.

I bet car salesman love you!! :) haha!

He better go ahead and bench Jordan Reed too because he might get concussed again, and might as well bench Garcon too so his foot doesn't act up anymore. Oh, and "shut down" Orakpo too, because you never known when that pectoral is going to tear again.

Oh, wait, I forgot that this is just another way of saying "cardiovascular endurance." As others have already correctly pointed out, why start RG3 in the freezing snow, where the ground is harder, against one of the top defenses in the league, only to bench him in a dome against one of the worst defenses? He's such a liar it's sickening.

I said it earlier in here when I was watching it live...to me he looked agitated, fidgety, and very defensive. That isn't usually the hallmark of someone who is being candid and honest. Either way, it doesn't make that much sense as to why now he suddenly decided that Griffin was taking too many hits. Someone asked him why he didn't bench him before the KC game since it was horrible conditions and their defense is very good and has been getting lots of sacks this year. He gave some talk around non-answer about them not having many sacks the last couple of games. Huh? That's it? 

I still don't think we're getting the real story here. What the real story IS...well we may never know for sure.

??

He actually said he spoke to Dan last week, before the KC game, about benching RGIII. He said as much.

With the ****storm about benching Griffin now, can you imagine what it would've been like a week ago, with four games left? If nothing else, the Chiefs game might've been that last barometer.

I'd say it's more than understandable that Shanahan was 'agitated' and 'defensive' given the circumstances. Afterall, he's in the crosshairs of everyone with an opinion at the moment and he's making a hugely controversial (and ballsy) decision. I'd disagree that Shanahan was fidgety - I'd say he was as impassioned as I've ever seen him.

He better go ahead and bench Jordan Reed too because he might get concussed again, and might as well bench Garcon too so his foot doesn't act up anymore. Oh, and "shut down" Orakpo too, because you never known when that pectoral is going to tear again.

Oh, wait, I forgot that this is just another way of saying "cardiovascular endurance." As others have already correctly pointed out, why start RG3 in the freezing snow, where the ground is harder, against one of the top defenses in the league, only to bench him in a dome against one of the worst defenses? He's such a liar it's sickening.

Pretty sure he's kept Jordan Reed out for 3 games for precisely that reason. And as Shanahan explained in his presser, the quarterback is a unique position, and RGIII is specifically in a unique position himself, compared to Orakpo, Riley, et al

Honestly, I can't imagine the vitriol that would be spouted here if Shanahan kept RGIII in for the next 3 games and he suffered another debilitating injury. Another ACL, possibly ending his chances of ever reaching his ceiling. People would be accusing Shanahan of putting Griffin in the way of injury when there was nothing at stake, from not learning from his mistakes (Seattle game), for trying to bolster his career win-loss record and HOF credentials.

It's crazy. It's not like Griffin is improving -- outside of two drives against the Giants, he's been playing bad football for a month. The majority of the season really. And he's NOT getting better with these precious reps - his yards per attempt the last 3 weeks are 6.3, 6.5, and 4.5 - his worst 3-game stretch of the season.

The risk of RGIII suffering another devastating injury is marginal. It's marginal. But that marginal risk is still not worth whatever could possibly be gained from him playing these next 3 weeks.

Archived