Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Shanahan Press Conference: "I haven't made a decision on the starting QB **UPDATE** per John Keim: Cousins will start

Boss_Hogg

But again, our D and St put so much more pressure on our offense. I've lost track of how many of our drives of started inside the 5 this year. Have we returned a KO out past the 30 all year? When you get behind early and then are losing the field position battle, you're asking your offense to do alot.

Yes, we're only averaging 21.5ppg. The Dolphins score .5ppg more than we do, they're 7-6 and we're 3-10. When your defense is allowing 31.3ppg, our offense would have to be averagin 4-5 TDs a game to be able to win games. Only 2 teams are scoring more than 4 TDs a game on average: Denver (39.6) and Chicago (28.3). If we traded offenses with Chicago, we'd still be getting outscored by 3ppg. That just tells you how bad our defense is.

on the first point, our offense has done a decent job all by itself of falling behind. vs beatable defenses like GB and philly we were shut out the entire first half of both games. shut out for 3 qrtrs vs philly the second game. held to 16 points vs a dallas team everyone else shreds. i would feel differently if our offense was scoring at even an average rate while our D was getting killed. remember when D hall was outscoring our O the first halves of games?

one more thing about the D, almost every team we have played is top half in the league in scoring. our offense has been lucky to play almost every game against a sub par D, while our offense has been unlucky to play almost every game vs a top half O. 

doesnt mean they arent bad, cuz they are. if we say our D puts pressure on our O, the converse is also true. if our O could score a TD in consecutive halves, our D might be less tired, they work together. if our O was more consistent, its a lock our D wouldnt look quite as bad. 

who do we blame for the minnesota loss? the D right? except that our O didnt score a point for almost the entire second half.

we can say the same for both sides. our D is bad. our O is maddeningly inconsistent, incapable of playing a complete game outside of CHI (to a lesser extent, SD). my point is that our whole team- D, O ST is all bad. 

theres just no excuse, imo, for our offense to consistently play half a game every week. 

If Kyle calls an entire game of quick passing, no option nonsense, and QB rollouts, my TV will not survive this game.

RG3 runs the above gameplan very well, even this season, and coincidentally we have leads in games where we do this.

I can't believe this is what the organization has become.

Lol which game was this?  RG3 has probably thrown less than 5 good passes from rollouts this entire season.

Lol which game was this?  RG3 has probably thrown less than 5 good passes from rollouts this entire season.

I bet we havent even had 5 straight rollouts this season. Im not talking about PA boot, which he's been getting killed on. This is straight sprint-out action, which Shanny loved with Elway in Denver.

on the first point, our offense has done a decent job all by itself of falling behind. vs beatable defenses like GB and philly we were shut out the entire first half of both games. shut out for 3 qrtrs vs philly the second game. held to 16 points vs a dallas team everyone else shreds. i would feel differently if our offense was scoring at even an average rate while our D was getting killed. 

one more thing about the D, almost every team we have played is top half in the league in scoring. our offense has been lucky to play almost every game against a sub par D, while our offense has been unlucky to play almost every game vs a top half O. 

doesnt mean they arent bad, cuz they are. if we say our D puts pressure on our O, the converse is also true. if our O could score a TD in consecutive halves, our D might be less tired, they work together. if our O was more consistent, its a lock our D wouldnt look quite as bad. 

we can say the same for both sides. our D is bad. our O is maddeningly inconsistent, incapable of playing a complete game outside of CHI (to a lesser extent, SD). my point is that our whole team- D, O ST is all bad. 

theres just not excuse, imo, for our offense to consistently play half a game every week. 

And theres no excuse for us to have a historically bad Special Teams that is literally one of the worst in NFL history.

There is also no excuse for the coaching staff not actively looking to make adjustments and shuffling to the starting lineups and playing time in a season that is lost in every position, not just the QB and RG.

There also is no excuse to having a defense allow over 30 points over an entire season. 

So while I get what you're saying, you're still boiling it down to "the offense is bad and thats what we need to focus on", when its not even the worst phase of our game.

Robert talking:

"Coach decided to shut me down, I expressed my desire to play, and he explained his reasoning."

"At the end of the day it's the coaches decision and I have to respect that."

"I'll do everything I can to help Kirk and help this team win."

"Coach wants me to make it to the off season without injury."

"Everybody wants to play, any QB wants to finish when you're healthy however it's a coaches decision and I have to respect that."

"Still blessed to be in the NFL and work with the guys in the locker room."

"I have not talked to Mr. Snyder, I never talk to him about this kinda stuff."

"I promise I'll be there for Kirk every step of the way."

"I have to continue to get better and move forward to next year."

And where did you hear that? That's not what I heard.....he said it was the coaches decision and he's not going to worry about it.

He got asked a direct question of whether he believed the reasoning and he went all around actually answering the question.  It's a yes or no question.  If you believe it, you'd just yes and move on.  If you don't believe it, you tap dance around actually saying what you feel  which is that it's BS, so as not to cause trouble.

Sacked 24x in 5 games and people think the offensive line isn't to blame?  It's all on RGIII holding the ball too long...please.

Griffin sacked or scrambled on over 20% of his pass attempts vs the Chiefs.

Cousins?  6%.  Same DL.  Cousins faced blitzes (he just adjusted the protection to give himself time), too.  Cousins isn't perfect - he needs to step up into the pocket instead of drifting to the left.  But if history is any indication, our sack numbers are about to go way down.

Cousins and RGIII said everything they needed to say.  Much more respectable than that scumbag head coach.  Cannot WAIT until he is gone.  It'd be awesome if Shanahan was fired abruptly as he was about to board the Redskins plane Sunday just for shock value.  Better yet, fire him when he gets off the plane in Atlanta.

So that just invalidates Griffin putting the Redskins in the position to win those games? Geez, you people really suck at giving guys credit when hes earned it. 

Say what?

Yes Griffin led this team to a 3-6 record last year so he can get some credit there

Then he led this team to 3 straight wins over all the teams in the NFC East. Credit there

Then he led this team to an 8 point defecate to the Ravens and was injured. No credit there since it was Cousins who led that come from behind win against Baltimore in a game that looked to be lost and it was Cousins who won that game in Cleveland. No credit to Griffin for either of those

Then Griffin won the last two games. Credit there

Score card from that 7 game win streak in reality is that it's

Griffin - 5

Cousins - 2

Griffin sacked or scrambled on over 20% of his pass attempts vs the Chiefs.

Cousins?  6%.  Same DL.  Cousins faced blitzes (he just adjusted the protection to give himself time), too.  Cousins isn't perfect - he needs to step up into the pocket instead of drifting to the left.  But if history is any indication, our sack numbers are about to go way down.

Such a massive sample size!!!

So are all you guys that are happy about Kirk starting this week going to be either:

A. Apoplectic if he struggles and whine incessantly about this being the worst team and franchise ever (Shanahan or not) and that there is NOTHING of value here?

OR

B. Over the moon with joy that the new franchise QB has been ordained off one meaningless game in a lost season?

Archived