Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rumor: Redskins To Pursue Art Briles (MET)

HateNMyEyez

I argue Griffin was a better passer under Briles than under Shannahan. 

I'll argue that Griffin didn't see one defense under Briles that comes even close to speed and skill of the defenses he's seen under Shanahan. And we're talking about a coach that didn't even draw up a playbook for his team.

My thoughts on Briles: 

Would his offense translate to the NFL? Yes, I think it could if he is willing to tinker with it a lot. I suspect he would be successful. But there is certainly the risk that he would flop. 

Should the Redskins hire him? No. For the following reasons:

Risk- unknown translation of the offense. Unknown desire for Briles (spent all his life in Texas, how is he going to handle adversity in DC?) 

Message- For as much bull**** as the media spits out about Griffin's power and influence over Snyder, this would reinforce that narrative and basically make it indisputable. Do other players buy in to Briles with that perception? Do they play hard for Griffin, as the leader of the team, with the perception that he is above them and untouchable?

Qualifications- Briles has been wildly successful in college.  There are numerous other candidates that have been successful in college AND the NFL, or just the NFL, that I would like to see hired way before Briles. Bill O'Brien has to be the #1 choice given his history with quarterbacks, successful playcalling with the Patriots, and his leadership at Penn State in an incredibly difficult time for that school.

I'll argue that Griffin didn't see one defense under Briles that comes even close to speed and skill of the defenses he's seen under Shanahan. And we're talking about a coach that didn't even draw up a playbook for his team.

This is also true. But i just think he looked more comfortable overall in games at Baylor. You didn't see him overthrowing wide open receivers or completely missing them. He looks confused on the field with us. Thats not all his fault. You don't call plays your players cant execute. And i think thats where Shannahan has failed us. 

Not saying just because he was good in school he has to be good as a pro, but i dont think his talent just evaporated either. 

All my opinion tho. Not the most XO guy on this board. 

IF a legitimate GM were hired and a thorough interview process was conducted and on those merits Briles was chosen as the head coach, I could get on board. I wouldn't be a huge fan of it either way but that is the absolute only way it might work. Otherwise, it just reeks of RG3 pandering.

RG3 doesn't need his college coach, he just needs a coach he can trust. He doesn't trust the Shanahans because after putting his body on the line they didn't meet him halfway or help him at all in the playcalling after the injury, plus the Seattle game plus the numerous shots and leaks at Griffin this season. 

You don't like it because of what the media or certain fans feel about it? That kind of thinking is not going to help this team. RG3 doesn't run the team, but he is the best player on the team. I am for any move that improves our best player, regardless if it hurts people so called insecurities. 

For the record when has RG3 done anything negative towards the team?

Hail

I don't like it b/c that's how I feel about it....I think the media will have a field day w/it also...but they will do that regardless...

No...RG3 hasn't done anything that I am aware of that's negative towards this team..I like RG3...he is the best QB we have...

I am for any move that improves our TEAM....it's a team sport..shouldn't we improve the team as opposed to just 1 player? I know very little about college teams..I don't watch much college football...so perhaps I shouldn't have commented in this thread...it's just my opinion...flawed as it may be...I think people in general will view it negatively..not that it matters one way or the other what folks think...especially me..lol

I'm probably the only one who thinks this is a terrible idea.

No, I think it stinks to hell and back...but it's exactly the kind of move Snyder would make. After it fails miserably, look for Snyder to offer Bill Cowher $10m/yr to return to coaching and offer him full control of personnel.

Thank you, OP :)

It is a small thing, but helps keep the craziness to a minimum.

As to the rumor, i also think it would be a terrible idea, smacking of desperation, ripe for failure and ridicule. 

Robert needs a safer option

If we look NCAA, I'd like o look at Penn state's bill O'brien..  he's got high level NFL experience, he's taken hold and stabilized a program that was absolutely destroyed.

If we go NFL assistant coaches, maybe Panthers DC Sean McDermott.

i do not want a retread, i don't care about 10 or 20 year old rings. It's a new game, and guys like Cowher or Gruden have been out tooooo long.

~Bang

There is no basis for the certainty of this thread title. LaCanfora at no point says anyone told him the Redskins would go after Briles. At no point does he say he has any factual reason to believe that they will. It's just a guess. And the report from cbs is LaCanfora, by the way.

He has every right to guess. It's part of his job. But when he says "likely to" or "expected to", he's doing just that, guessing. And guesses aren't facts.

You were the first to get it. In no way, shape or form did LaCanfora say he had inside information.

Of all of the baseless coaching rumors, this is the most ridiculous.  He makes $4M a year in Waco - which translates to about $20M in DC.  He has a 10 year contract, which will take him to age 68.  He's lived his entire life in Texas.  Why would he take a job where Spurrier, Gibbs and presumably Shanahan were ingloriously forced out before their contract expired?

Ditto for Gruden and Cowher.  They both get millions for working one day a week, 26 weeks a year,  If they go back to coaching, they can get much more stable jobs.

Why would he take a job where Spurrier, Gibbs and presumably Shanahan were ingloriously forced out before their contract expired?

Ditto for Gruden and Cowher.  They both get millions for working one day a week, 26 weeks a year,  If they go back to coaching, they can get much more stable jobs.

Uh, let's not rewrite history here.  Both Spurrier and Gibbs left on their own accord.  Neither was anywhere close to being "forced out."  The end of Shanny's tenure is yet to be played-out, so he may be, but definitely not the other two.

Also,  Gruden's and Cowher's salaries are in the mid six digit range, not "millions."   And, especially for Gruden, they have several days a week that they have to work, not just one, and that doesn't include travel time.

It would be a horrible decision.  RG3 doesn't need to be spoiled.  He needs to learn how to be an NFL QB.

True, his post game comments were pitiful. I've grown very tired of the excuse making by Griffin. If he were as good as he thinks he is he wouldn't continue to not make the throws necessary to win. The head coach does not control what Griffin does with the ball. I'm sick of hearing his excuses.

On the other hand I do believe that this teams best possible chance for success would be to reach into the college ranks for the next coach. We need to bring in a coach that knows the crop of rookies better then most because that is how this team is going to turn around. Whether that is Baylors coach vs another doesn't matter. Retreads running the show once again aren't going to get it done

What I would love for my own devious intentions is for Snyder today to come out and fire Mike and promote his son to interim head coach. Why? Because it would divide those two men and answer the burning question would Kyle make a good head coach?

Mike has gone on the record as saying he would not fire Kyle so why not go to Kyle today and say, your getting a 3 game audition for head coach. Your Dad is fired, you can stay or leave now but if you want a chance at NFL head coaching here is your one shot. Take it or your fired too. If it doesn't work out with Kyle then fire him at the end of the season, if the team responds give him another year to prove he can do this.

I would hate for the season to end now and not answer some of the questions this team has like could Kyle ever be a good head coach, is Griffin really the answer once everyone stops making excuses for his bad play, can Kirk Cousins QB this team better then Griffin, at this point in the season we fans need some answers. The Texans went to Case Keenum to get that answer, We fans need a reason to watch the next three games and need some answers. Otherwise we are just wasting more time

Archived