Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rumor: Redskins To Pursue Art Briles (MET)

HateNMyEyez

I'm probably the only one who thinks this is a terrible idea.

It's probably the single worst thing that we could do. I would rather welcome back Shanahan for his fifth year. It already seems like RGIII is the only voice of dissension or non-support of the current regime. They fire said regime and bring in RGIII's college coach? I can't see any current players or those around the league viewing that as anything positive. It would only make RGIII look even worse and if we didn't have success under Briles, both he and RGIII would likely be run out of town.

Personally I'm leaning towards Whisenhunt.  He was great with Ben in Pittsburgh and was able to get Arizona to a SB with a cheap ass owner.  And he hired the right guys on defense as the Cards have had a good, solid defense while he was head coach.  Plus Rivers is having one of his best years as a QB in SD.

He played sandlot football in a conference that doesn't play defense. He was physically superior than 95% of the people on the field at any given time. Not the case anymore. The 300 pound guys chasing him now are only a little bit slower than he is.

I think hes much faster than the 300 pound men chasing him, even when hes not fully healthy. He is still physically superior to most of the people on the field, as far as speed is concerned. The only thing that MAY be holding him back is this injury as far as that concerned and he should look much better on that front next year. 

Regardless, that doesn't have anything to do with that im trying to say. He is extremely bright and talented. That has not changed between this year and his school days. What has changed is his confidence/ knowledge in what he is running. Im of the opinion that in that regard, Shannahan failed him. That's all. 

I dont think it will happen:

I have people asking me all the time if he’s going to go to this place or that place, and I tell them every time, ‘Look, he’s not going anywhere,’ ” said Ken Bailey, a Houston attorney and one of Briles’s closest friends and confidants. “His roots are too deeply entrenched in Texas soil.”

It’s only natural that Briles’s name has been batted around on sports-talk radio and Internet message boards in regards to open jobs — or probably-will-be-open-soon jobs or might-just-under-certain-conditions-become-open-jobs — from Seattle (University of Washington) to Austin (University of Texas) to Washington, D.C. (the Redskins).

In the case of the Redskins, this appears to be at least partly a case of the transitive property gone awry: That because Briles is close with former Baylor and current Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III and because Griffin is tight with Daniel Snyder, the owner is compelled to make a play for Briles in the event Mike Shanahan is gone at the end of this season.

To the frequent questions about potential interest in him from other schools, Briles has consistently stated how happy he is at Baylor — which, just to be sure, recently gave him a 10-year contract extension — and how his only focus is on winning the rest of the Bears’ games this season, beginning with Saturday’s regular season finale against Texas. A question about potential NFL interest gets the same response.

http://www.washingto...76b2_story.html

Personally I'm leaning towards Whisenhunt. He was great with Ben in Pittsburgh and was able to get Arizona to a SB with a cheap ass owner. And he hired the right guys on defense as the Cards have had a good, solid defense while he was head coach. Plus Rivers is having one of his best years as a QB in SD.

Wiz would be a good hire...

So would Lovie...

At least they could stabilize things. They really aren't innovators...but very solid leaders

I think a large majority of people are going to think Briles and see spurrier 2.0. I think that is a bit of an unfair assumption to make. I think if you bring in a guy like Briles you need to have a GM who is great ar bringing in personnel. I think Briles is great coach and could succeed in the NFL given the right circumstance (GM being a big factor in that).

I do think that danny has learn a thing or two from his past failures. I think Bruce Allen is a good influence on him since he was a part of a successful regime in Tampa.

I think the best thing for us to do moving forward is to have Bruce help him bring in a GM that is better with personnel and Bruce to move to a VP role with the team.

My hope is that Snyder takes his time in the process of hiring a GM and coach. I think you look for the guy who is going to get the most of Robert because the guy has tons of talent and I think it's just a matter of a coach that can get it out of him.

Another tough year for us Skins fans, but I love the fact that we all stick together. It's going to be an interesting few months.

HTTR

I saw this rumor on bleacherreport yesterday and mentioned it in another thread.  Horrible, horrible idea.  Just another move to hold RG3's hand and make sure he is happy.  Cater to his every desire and deal with that huge ego he has.   

Also, guess what, RG3 IS A BAD PLAYER RIGHT NOW.  There is no denying that.   

Kinda like Luck getting his old college coach or Tannehill getting his old college coach? Catering to your franchise QB is only a bad thing in DC. I'd consider Briles, but still, he wouldn't be my top choice.

Kinda like Luck getting his old college coach or Tannehill getting his old college coach? Catering to your franchise QB is only a bad thing in DC. I'd consider Briles, but still, he wouldn't be my top choice.

But you have to admit that hiring a HC is quite different from hiring a coordinator. And you have to consider the current climate around Ashburn would create a very difficult perception that would be an instant obstacle for both Briles and Griffin to overcome. Also, Mike Sherman already had NFL experience.

But, I would love to hire Phillip Montgomery.

Uh, let's not rewrite history here.  Both Spurrier and Gibbs left on their own accord.  Neither was anywhere close to being "forced out."  The end of Shanny's tenure is yet to be played-out, so he may be, but definitely not the other two.

Also,  Gruden's and Cowher's salaries are in the mid six digit range, not "millions."   And, especially for Gruden, they have several days a week that they have to work, not just one, and that doesn't include travel time.

I'm sure you are joking on Spurrier and Gibbs, so I won't address that.

As for Gruden and Cowher - yeah, they are in the millions.  Gruden reportedly gets $4.3M/year and Cowher reportedly makes over $3M/year.  This isn't extraordinary - Deion Sanders left CBS in 2004 because $2M/year wasn't enough for him.

But you have to admit that hiring a HC is quite different from hiring a coordinator. And you have to consider the current climate around Ashburn would create a very difficult perception that would be an instant obstacle for both Briles and Griffin to overcome. Also, Mike Sherman already had NFL experience.

But, I would love to hire Phillip Montgomery.

Yes, given the circumstances Briles wouldn't be my top choice. I was actually going to say that, if anything, I'd prefer him as an OC, but I doubt he's leaving Baylor to be a coordinator. Still, it's a shame that providing everything for Griffin to succeed is seen as taboo now. A lot of people are calling for a coach who will control him now instead of work with him like you see other young QB's getting.

Yes, given the circumstances Briles wouldn't be my top choice. I was actually going to say that, if anything, I'd prefer him as an OC, but I doubt he's leaving Baylor to be a coordinator. Still, it's a shame that providing everything for Griffin to succeed is seen as taboo now. A lot of people are calling for a coach who will control him now instead of work with him like you see other young QB's getting.

I've been advocating hiring Phillip Montgomery for awhile (15 years) now, so I agree with your thought process completely.

I assumed the reports of Kyle spending a lot of time at Baylor implied that there would be more implementation of Baylor system then we saw.

Now, is not the right time for Briles, and I have never heard anything from Briles that even suggest he wants to coach anywhere other then Baylor.

But, looking forward we need a HC or OC that knows how to coach the QB position and they're many of those people around.

Phillip Montgomery isn't going anywhere with out Art. They have coached together since Art was coaching high school ball.

No doubt they coached together for awhile. But eventually every assistant coach wants to be their own man and most of their mentors realize and prepare them for the opportunity because the same thing was done for them at some point.

I've been advocating hiring Phillip Montgomery for awhile now, so I agree with your thought process completely.

I assumed the reports of Kyle spending a lot of time at Baylor implied that there would be more implementation of Baylor system then we saw.

Now, is not the right time for Briles, and I have never heard anything from Briles that even suggest he wants to coach anywhere other then Baylor.

But, looking forward we need a HC or OC that knows how to coach the QB position and they're many of those people around.

We definitely need a QB grooming coach. One that will work with Griffin and even Cousins to develop them. We need an entire staff that has strong skills in developing players. One thing that I haven't seen often with this team are players that visibly take strides from coaching.

This is why I really like the Michigan State staff. Their entire team is built on coaching. They take 2, 3, and 4 star players that have have solid work ethic, coach them up for a few years, and they're able to compete with and defeat teams like Ohio State that are filled with 5 star recruits. Excellent coaching up there.

I think hes much faster than the 300 pound men chasing him, even when hes not fully healthy. He is still physically superior to most of the people on the field, as far as speed is concerned. The only thing that MAY be holding him back is this injury as far as that concerned and he should look much better on that front next year. 

Regardless, that doesn't have anything to do with that im trying to say. He is extremely bright and talented. That has not changed between this year and his school days. What has changed is his confidence/ knowledge in what he is running. Im of the opinion that in that regard, Shannahan failed him. That's all. 

He only runs a 4.4. That's plenty fast, but not "world class speed" that gets thrown around a lot in here. There are plenty of D lineman and linebackers that run 4.6-4.7 in the combines. That's not much faster. I understand your point. He is bright and talented. That hasn't changed in a year. But he is not physically superior to most of the people on the field in the NFL. And it took these equally talented men 1 off-season to figure out what was going on and how to shut him down. Now he will have to play QB like an NFL QB and he doesn't know how to do that yet.

If RGIII hires Briles... I mean if Snyder hires Briles... we would be the laughing stock of the league unless we immediately look great and make it to the playoffs with 10+ wins and a good passing game in Briles first season.

Anything less would yield the following reactions:

-Snyder and the organization view RG3 as more important than the entire team and let a player run the team

-RG3 is selfish and wants things to be exactly how he wants them regardless of whats best for the rest of the organization

-Tons of variations of the RG3 is ego driven/hasnt even proven himself yet/ arguments

-Kirk Cousins will probably be traded for a low draft pick or whatever we can get because Briles will be too confident that we don't need him and wants to get more players around RG3 (which is good if RG3 is the guy... but we need to only shop Kirk for a 2nd or higher IMO)

And.. I personally would have a hard time liking a team that is run by a player and a meddling owner who supports running a team around one player (who may not even be that great going forward)

So that being said.. Art Briles would be the BIGGEST COACHING RISK IN THE HISTORY OF SPORTS....a risk for the organization in which any kind of failure would ruin RG3's career for good, set the franchise back 5 or so more years, and turn away countless fans who are smart enough to know what went down.

Well, that's just how I see it.

Am I the only one who thinks the Briles' offense will not succeed in the NFL? It's built off of spreading the field through a lack of speed on the defense. The NFL is much faster and defenders can cover more ground. Plus it doesn't develop RG3 as a passer.

I agree 100%, Snyder tried that formula with Spurrier and it didn't work. Plus, Briles doesn't have a playbook!

Archived