Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rumor: Redskins To Pursue Art Briles (MET)

HateNMyEyez

i do not want a retread, i don't care about 10 or 20 year old rings. It's a new game, and guys like Cowher or Gruden have been out tooooo long.

~Bang

This is where my feelings are...  Lets get someone young and hungry in here.  I am tired of having these vetern coaches that looks like the game has past them by...  Redskins are clinging on to these past prime coaches as much as they cling on past prime players...

I would like to see Briles as an offensive coordinator in the NFL, but the leap of going from Waco to Washington would give anyone whiplash. I'm not sure Waco even has a daily paper at this point (Note: they probably do). And he could have won 90 straight games out there and Baylor would still be the #3 college football story here. Heck, in Houston, the Cougars get more coverage.

It's hard to explain how low Baylor ranks on the football heirarchy in Texas - even when RGIII was here.

I think a Texas football Top Ten would look like this:

1. Cowboys

2. UT

3. Firing Mack Brown

4. Texans

5. Aggies

6. High School Football

7. Johnny Foo'baw

8. Baylor

9. Texas Tech

10. Mrs. Saban was talking to an Austin real estate agent last week

Others receiving votes: TCU,  Junior high football, Houston Cougars, Oklahoma Sooners, Setting Mack Brown on fire, SMU, Pee-wee football, Battle of the Piny Woods, Mrs. Saban was in a furniture store in Austin last week

It would be nice to hire a coach who would come in and have an open competition at all positions including QB.  If RG3 is picking our next hire, the resent from his teammates and outside the organization will get louder.

I don't know how to feel about this...too much catering to Robert, which quite possibly is already a huge part of the problem?

IMO doesn't matter, we gave away a kings ransom for the right to draft Griffin and have to exercise every avenue to make that a successful gamble. We are really in a dangerous place right now as a team and fanbase

If Griffin were to fail and not become a good pocket passer or get injured again the team not only lost in the short term but it will sink this franchise long term as well. We hadn't risked taking a QB in the first round of the draft since Jason Campbell in 2005 because of getting burned by the last time we took a first round QB who busted - Schuler in 1994. The cost of missing on Campbell and Schuler had lasting effects much greater then the immediate loss of picks and hurt the psyche of this team and fanbase. The team has not had a franchise QB in decades and over the past 20 years has only drafted 3 QB's in the first round.

If Griffin misses like Schuler and Campbell did before him we as a team likely would not draft a 1st round QB for many more years. Can this fanbase which has been beaten and abused by the amount of failure happening here the past 20 years withstand another almost 10 years before trying to find that Franchise QB again should Griffin fail?

The Griffin I have watched this year does not look to be making strides in his game fast enough to show me that without the read option he is the answer to Franchise QB. He stares down his receivers, he makes too many inaccurate throws, he is too quick to rush, and he is careless with the football. That is a tall order for any one person to fix. I hope Griffin can fix his game, I am losing my faith that he will be able to. If getting him back on track means getting him a coach that understand him and can get the most out of him then I support it and think every fan should support it. There are no guarantees and this sort of move is just another gamble. The only question is probability of success rate. If it's less then 50% then it's a bad move.

Public perception be damned, I don't care if Griffin were babied by the team and ownership as long as Griffin does his job and his job is to win football games. His job is not simply to just show up for work, he has to perform and he has to win. His job performance the past few weeks (cant believe someone said he played well against the Giants earlier) has been a failing grade. The coaches job is to scheme, the players must execute. Griffin has not played a full 60 minute game of football this entire season and needs to get his stuff together.

No thanks on Briles, it's another Spurrier waiting to happen.  As for LaCantReporta, he has done this crap all the time, from the days of him covering the Caps for the Post.  Half or more of his 'inside information' turns out to be false and erroneous.  

I think it would be worse then Spurrier.  This team will never be productive and will only exacerbate the problem that Robert gets special treatment.  Even if it may not be true, perception is everything.  There will be a lot of resentment in the locker room with a college coach trying to bring an unproven system into the NFL and with little buy in from the guarded veterans. 

NO THANKS.  Worst idea, ever. 

Worse than overpaying for Mark Carrier?

Worse than hiring Steve Spurrier without giving him a quarterback?

Worse than hiring a QB coach to be your offensive coordinator and then promoting him to head coach when no one else wanted the job?

Worse than buying a popular fan message board and making it "official?"

I'm not sure this would be one of the ten worst decisions of the Snyder Era.

I saw this rumor on bleacherreport yesterday and mentioned it in another thread.  Horrible, horrible idea.  Just another move to hold RG3's hand and make sure he is happy.  Cater to his every desire and deal with that huge ego he has.   

Also, guess what, RG3 IS A BAD PLAYER RIGHT NOW.  There is no denying that.   

I don't want another retread. I want a coach hungry to get to the top of the mountain, not someone who has been there already.

Briles might work out with the way the NFL is heading in terms of offense. The NFL was a different NFL period when Spurrier coached in DC. Totally different NFL. It could work but at the same time, I don't want to hire him just because of RG3. I don't want any player having the type of power.

JLC is just thinking what everyone is thinking and found some anonymous flunkies to source who said it may happen. I'm not going to say Snyder hasn't thought about it, but there's no way this is already in motion. 

That being said, if we could get him for it (I don't think we can, he's building a program at Baylor and is set to have a very comfortable life there) to be OC, I'd love this. We need a more innovative offense to work with the crummy O-Line shanny has given us because of his zone-blocking scheme, and Briles' spread would be perfect for that. 

Not head coach, though. Too many proven names out there (Lovie Smith, who most of you mentioned, would be my choice) to take a flyer on a guy simply because our QB (who we're still not sure if he's worth building a team around) loves him. 

Worse than overpaying for Mark Carrier?

Worse than hiring Steve Spurrier without giving him a quarterback?

Worse than hiring a QB coach to be your offensive coordinator and then promoting him to head coach when no one else wanted the job?

Worse than buying a popular fan message board and making it "official?"

I'm not sure this would be one of the ten worst decisions of the Snyder Era.

If you'd like to get into a which smells worse debate, I guess it would be easy enough.

In 3 years people will be calling for Briles head and claim Snyder wants to win, and gave Briles every opportunity.  At least the ignorant ones will.

If you'd like to get into a which smells worse debate, I guess it would be easy enough.

In 3 years people will be calling for Briles head and claim Snyder wants to win, and gave Briles every opportunity.  At least the ignorant ones will.

True.

But really, I was just trying to set you up for a rant. You would never make it The Groundlings.

Stop!  Stop!  Stop!  Its Jason La Canfora!!  Absolutely no credibility what so ever.  He's creating his own rumor here.  Don't get sucked in.  It doesn't take a genius to realize that there would certainly be some interest in Briles when Shanny gets fired.  At this point its PURE SPECULATION and there's absolutely no reality here at this moment. 

JLC is a world class media hack!

No way, this is just to put a band-aid over the current situation at hand and possibly try to hold Robert's hand through the NFL which isn't possible. This is the top tier, we need a coach that earns respect and is tough enough to stand up when needed.

Art Briles has commented previously though that no one from the Redskins organization has reached out to him.

Exactly. Picking someone for the sake of having someone your QB was friends would lead to absolute destruction. It's reverse Spurrier. If there is anything good in Snyder's judgement, please let it be that he won't hire Briles.

If i were a mod, i'd bounce you for a piss poor thread title.

This is Jason LaCanfora GUESSING, and nothing else.

This is actually LCanfora GUESSING while yesterdays game was being played... those are retweets from his afternoon, i read them as they came across..

LaCanfora.. the treasure trove of accurate Redskins info for SO LONG..  the same laCanfora who had a thread made specifically for us to point out his incorrect BS while he was here...

Jason laCanfora GUESSES that the Redskins MIGHT go after Art Briles IF they fire Mike Shanahan.

No wonder the media acts the way they do with this team. Forget facts, making **** up from your couch works so well for our fans.

~Bang

Nailed It!  This whole fiasco is nothing but the media having fun...these guys wake up, turn on the laptop and create their own news off the top of their head and they get away with it..crazy!

So let's see The Skins suck because Snyder treats RGIII better than Cousins..Shanahan was going to quit last year after making the playoffs and even before the paloff game but stayed because he felt bad about RG's knee.....RGIII is spoiled..(Come on..that goes totally against RGIII's nature).

RGIII requested that they don't show any of his bad plays....LMAO..Lies! All of it. Doesn't even make any sense whatsoever.

You can get way with a lot nowadays as a journalist by saying "Sources tell me....." Should say "Voices inside my head tell me I need some attention..."

Whatever...

Let's see..........

Snyder makes Shanahan HC allows him to hire his son Kyle..Shanahan...Snyder Hires Bruce Allen. Snyder has been out of the limelight for years now...but it goes on..and on....

The NFL gets away with a 36 million bogus fine....completely BOGUS..if anything it proves coercion in an uncapped year..IT'S SNYDER'S FAULT.

The WP is so anti-Snyder/Redskins it's hard to believe the paper is supposed to be dedicated to the team..LOL

This is also true. But i just think he looked more comfortable overall in games at Baylor. You didn't see him overthrowing wide open receivers or completely missing them. He looks confused on the field with us. Thats not all his fault. You don't call plays your players cant execute. And i think thats where Shannahan has failed us. 

Not saying just because he was good in school he has to be good as a pro, but i dont think his talent just evaporated either. 

All my opinion tho. Not the most XO guy on this board. 

He played sandlot football in a conference that doesn't play defense. He was physically superior than 95% of the people on the field at any given time. Not the case anymore. The 300 pound guys chasing him now are only a little bit slower than he is.

Archived