Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rumor: Redskins To Pursue Art Briles (MET)

HateNMyEyez

If and when mike shanahan is fired according to cbs sports. Also came from Jason La Canfora as well on twitter:

Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora 11h

New contract or not, I fully expect the Redskins to pursue Baylor's Art Briles if/when they fire Mike Shanahan. RGIII is a huge Briles guy

Yes, Briles recently agreed to a contract extension at Baylor. But I would in no way rule him out if the right NFL job emerged

It is no secret how close RGIII is with owner Dan Snyder, or how fractured Shanahan's relationship is w/the owner and the QB ...

Griffin will have a voice in this process, and he is a huge Briles guy. Briles managed RGIII's health, ego and family in college.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24369054/redskins-likely-to-pursue-baylors-briles-griffins-college-coach-if-shanahan-is-fired

There is no basis for the certainty of this thread title. LaCanfora at no point says anyone told him the Redskins would go after Briles. At no point does he say he has any factual reason to believe that they will. It's just a guess. And the report from cbs is LaCanfora, by the way.

He has every right to guess. It's part of his job. But when he says "likely to" or "expected to", he's doing just that, guessing. And guesses aren't facts.

I'm probably the only one who thinks this is a terrible idea.

It's a terrible idea under the circumstances.

Briles and his OC would do wonders for 10 and this O. But given yesterday's events, you couldn't possibly hire him under this cloud. The justified speculation that the QB had picked his own HC, aside from Art being perceived as a Snyder 'yes man' would be insane.

I'd LOVE Briles here. But NOT under this cloud we've self inflicted on ourselves yet again.

Besides, if JLC claims something's happening, BANK on the COMPLETE opposite actually occurring.

Hail.

Am I the only one who thinks the Briles' offense will not succeed in the NFL? It's built off of spreading the field through a lack of speed on the defense. The NFL is much faster and defenders can cover more ground. Plus it doesn't develop RG3 as a passer.

Am I the only one who thinks the Briles' offense will not succeed in the NFL? It's built off of spreading the field through a lack of speed on the defense. The NFL is much faster and defenders can cover more ground. Plus it doesn't develop RG3 as a passer.

Wasn't this the same exact same thing said about chip Kelly?

Chip is the exception to the general rule though. I haven't watched many Philly games this year, but from talking to friends, it sounds as though he's done an amazing job at adjusting as they go along. I'm not really a fan of Briles, but more based on opinion than anything. I think there are better options. 

Whom ever is hired to run the offense, I hope that person brings a ton of the spread option to the game plan. I'm 90% convinced that is the future of NFL offenses. Look at what Chip Kelly is getting out of Nick Foles. New England, and Denver are using these same elements. With the rules changes to the NFL, I feel the spread option is ideal for todays NFL.

HTTR

I'm probably the only one who thinks this is a terrible idea.

Nope.  Put me on your side also.  This is such BS, lets bring in RGIII's college coach because he gets along with RGIII and his family.  Effing great.  I want a coach that will evaluate what players we have and who can produce and keep their mouth shut.  I want someone that can say to RGIII, son you need to be able to hit open receivers from the pocket and when you scramble not put your head down and start running.  We don't need a Mike Vick.  I want someone that will shake up that pathetic OL, spend some of the 40 million or so bucks in cap space in creating a OL that is capable of actually blocking for a pocket QB. I want someone that will hold accountable the DC if he puts a product remotely close to what Hasslet did in his tenor here and I want someone that **** slaps a special teams coach that is totally clueless.  Cowher is not available?

Wasn't the basis for this whole problem was that RG3 was getting preferential treatment? I fail to see how getting his old coach solves that.

In Snyder's reality, the problem was someone else. Hell, rg3 wasn't getting enough preferential treatment. Who knows maybe he's right....

Sweet thread. La Clownfora's hunch that any gossip fiend could formulate knowing about Griffin's college history and that the Skins will need a new coach turns into something that actually has merit. Unbelievable that posters here take those shot in the dark tweets an run in with it as if the Redskins have already planned on courting Art Briles.

BTW, not saying it is out of the real of reality that we do pursue Briles but to read tweets from a guy like JLC (who has a history of being a malcontent Redskins hater, loving to stir the pot here) that have no real basis or investigative integrity YET and passing it off of the rEdskins future plan is irresponsible. 

Hasn't the Redskins fan base learned enough about the subjective, assumptive sensationalist media this season to actually wait and have things actualize before believing everything you read?

Archived