Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FA: *TJAX*Davis, Clingan, RJ, McCoy, DJ, RC, McGlynn, EJ, Moore, Jordan, BMeri, Rogers, Hatcher, Geathers, Sharpton, Porter, Hayward, Lauvao, Roberts

DC9

As I said the other day I would be happy for Merriweather to come back for the right deal. I think thats an excellent contract we've gotten for him personally. He'll come good for us this year and you can quote me on that!

Really hoping we pursue Calvin Pryor as others have said and that the Clark deal is still on. That'd make us start looking half respectable at the position. 

I'm really impressed with how this FA has panned out to be honest. The Penn signing is a big one and if we can get the Daniels one done also I think we've got a proper coup there. 

Your comment that I first responded to was that Gruden will have a different running game this year because he won't have an "old man" like Green-Ellis as his RB this year. Since BJGE was 27 and 28 in the two years Gruden coached him, those are the relevant numbers, and Morris will be 25 at the beginning of the season and turns 26 before the end of it. My numbers were perfectly valid, your posts are just nonsense.

I won't waste any more of my time on this, but try to make your posts a little less ridiculous in the future, OK?

27 and 28 at RB = a few years away from a sharp decline.  RB's don't have the same shelf life as QBs and WRs in this league.  If you want to act like that's not the case and respond with uncalled for condescension and unearned arrogance, that's on you.

Ask Bengals fans what their feelings are regarding BJGE and you'll hear the same responses:  "Getting up there in age.  Plays like an old man, need more Bernard".

your post suggests they had to have someone to the point they would be desperate for a draft pick.  But in fact they've got one guy on the roster who's never played and another who had had a year to learn.  That's reason not to be

Gauging desperation is up to you.

But clearly the FO has a need at SAF otherwise why would they have pursued Mitchell early in the off-season process?

And re-signed a marginal SAF?

I don't think the book is closed on Rambo and Thomas but at this point they are not starting caliber players and neither is Gumbs but there is no one else on the roster. 

They're still working on a long term Rak deal. You fully dead yet now? :P

I'm saving the picture from GHH's sig, in preparation for his inevitable demise.

Someone must save the Sexy Rexy sig for posterity.

Do you know why the FO wasn't looking at Decoud and Clemons?  I thought someone (perhaps you) mentioned that coaches didn't think Clemons fit.

Clark's offer is still on the table.

Best news I've heard so far today. 

Lest we forget...We were headed for a historically bad secondary much of the year with the safety position group being the poorer group. Reed Doughty was our best and most consistent safety. I love Reed but that speaks volumes about the group. Aside from being a below average to average safety Meriweather consistently tacked on penalties for his ridiculous head shots. He's one head shot away from a multi-game suspension. 

So far we've swapped out Josh Wilson with Tracy Porter (decent upgrade) and Doughty may be on his way out in terms of "upgrading" our secondary from last year. I'm not a fan of seeing Meriweather in a Skins uniform but he is certainly a better SS than FS. People can say what they want about "interchangeable" but there is a noticeable difference. We are still lacking a competent FS on our roster. 

Tarik El-Bashir ‏@TarikCSN 24s

Just spoke to Robert Griffin III at the Ed Block Awards and he said "it's safe to say" he will NOT wear a knee brace in 2014. #RedskinsTalk

i just cant help but think he will work as hard and as much as it takes this off season and come back to set the world on fire. Frankly ill be disillusioned if he flounders again this year but i just cant see it happening.

I also think it's quite crazy that a significant amount of people are so worried about Alfred's future because of the RB group in Cincy. Did Gruden have a say in drafting Bernard? Absolutely. But Bernard was also a very highly rated RB coming out and was almost certainly the highest rated player on their board, if not he was close to it. 

Once you have a player like that of course you are going to use him. And yet Gruden still stuck with about a 50/50 use of Green-Ellis vs. Bernard. Morris is very young and has racked up almost 3,000 yards in his first two seasons. He is in no way at risk of losing snaps or being replaced. Yes coaches like to use certain personnel groups and create matchups. But I doubt Gruden sees Morris as slow RB that can't produce that he'll need to replace. He used Bernard more as a change of pace and I think Helu brings that to the table very nicely. I don't see why people read so much into "average height of receivers" and things like that. A scheme doesn't necessarily require taller receivers or things like that. 

Bottom line: Morris is a huge asset and I trust Gruden sees that and will use him rather than look to replace him (whether that be any time soon or at the end of his rookie deal).

For me, it's simple. The Meriweather signing is a cheap "just in case" signing so we're not going into the season with absolutely no one at Safety other than guys we hope develop. The fact is, he played decently enough after about week 8 or so and we know what we've got with him. Heck, we can cut him to little affect this year if we want.   

However, the Meriweather signing becomes an A signing to me if we get Clark as well. That means we've got a good FS who is better at coverage than anyone we've had there the last 4 years and Meriweather at SS is a steal for only 1 million even if he head hunts and gets penalties, lol. You could certainly do a lot worse than him at SS for that much money.     

For me, it's simple. The Meriweather signing is a cheap "just in case" signing so we're not going into the season with absolutely no one at Safety other than guys we hope develop. The fact is, he played decently enough after about week 8 or so and we know what we've got with him. Heck, we can cut him to little affect this year if we want.   

However, the Meriweather signing becomes an A signing to me if we get Clark as well. That means we've got a good FS who is better at coverage than anyone we've had there the last 4 years and Meriweather at SS is a steal for only 1 million even if he head hunts and gets penalties, lol. You could certainly do a lot worse than him at SS for that much money.     

I'm 99.99% sure that Merriweather was a backup plan in case Clark didn't pan out.  Just from what I've read.

Hate Merriweather and i'm disappointed that ass is still on the team.

Tarik El-Bashir ‏@TarikCSN 24s

Just spoke to Robert Griffin III at the Ed Block Awards and he said "it's safe to say" he will NOT wear a knee brace in 2014. #RedskinsTalk

I didn't think that was a question even if Shanahan stayed.

i just cant help but think he will work as hard and as much as it takes this off season and come back to set the world on fire. Frankly ill be disillusioned if he flounders again this year but i just cant see it happening.

and if he plays poorly, i am going to start thinking he is a fluke and it will be time for us to search for a new QB

I'm 99.99% sure that Merriweather was a backup plan in case Clark didn't pan out.  Just from what I've read.

Hate Merriweather and i'm disappointed that ass is still on the team.

Clark's offer is still on the table according to TK and he has yet to sign with anyone else, so I'm hoping the FO is smart enough to see the potential in a Clark at FS and Meriweather at SS pairing. 

Hypothetical. We sign Ryan Clark and Donald Penn. The 34th pick rolls around and Calvin Pryor, Kelvin Benjamin and Zach Martin are there. Who do you pick?

Martin is exactly the type of guy this line has missed for so long, and would be a fantastic piece to build a future line around (along with Trent). However, since we've added a FA OG, looks like we'll be adding a FA RT, and we believe we have an in house solution at the other Guard spot in Gettis or Ribs, it's hard to justify using our top pick for another OL. I think he's the best of those talents though for BPA purposes, and I'd love to have him. I actually think he'd be our second best OL on Day 1.

However, with no FS and no #2WR, and both the other options being first round talents and not reaches, I could see going with them. I'd probably go Pryor hoping to grab a big WR like Bryant or Moncrief later.

Good news. 

We can sign whoever we want in FA but the reality is if RG3 doesn't get back to his rookie year health we haven't got a breeze trying to compete with the Eagles. 

Eagles were not that good last year and with some extra film on the team, I expect them to be no better this year.

Archived