Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FA: *TJAX*Davis, Clingan, RJ, McCoy, DJ, RC, McGlynn, EJ, Moore, Jordan, BMeri, Rogers, Hatcher, Geathers, Sharpton, Porter, Hayward, Lauvao, Roberts

DC9

I agree you don't need stars everywhere but as I said, this is not a team with elite players, we don't have the AJ Greens, Richard Shermans, Earl Thomas, elite pass rushers, etc.  Maybe Trent, and RG3 in a bounce back year.  But IMO we are lacking stars/elite players.  We got some good players mixed in with "guys".  While I understand and like the FO approach so far.  From a short term point of view, I don't think adding more "guys" will make the team anything special.  But am ok with the long term methodical approach -- we need to find our elite players in the draft.  

to much focus on the physical freaks these days.  Plus Sherman and Thomas play in a secondary that everyone acknowledges plays dirty.

http://es.redskins.com/topic/376513-wsj-the-seahawks-grabby-talons/

Could the FO even afford him last year?

My guess is he's asking more then they are willing to or project they'll have available to pay if they go after some of there other wants like Penn or Daniels. But the idea that the FO is not interested in from a purely talent perspective doesn't make sense to me. At a minimum Clemons must want 2.5 mil + bonus because that is what he played under last year. And if Mike Mitchell can get 5/25 (even though he's really making 3 mil this year) I'm sure Clemons wants something similar since they're roughly on the same tier talent wise.

He went for a 2.75 1 year contract.  If they liked him, I'd assume they could have fit him in.    I've heard no mention of any interest him in the off season, to one of your earlier posts, yeah its possibly signings and interest go below the radar, and yeah who knows maybe its going on now very quietly.   But we do tend to hear noise about their interest in players eventually at least most of the time.

Just because the FO may not be interested doesn't mean they are right, as I pointed out multiple times if you go through their signings in the 2-5 million range during the last four years, they don't come across as super shrewd judges of talent, they do much better when they spend more.  Of course the law of averages kick in -- you spend more, you are more likely to get a better player.  But again, got no issues with their approach, am cool with it so far.  If they didn't sign Hatcher, I wouldn't be.     

Or you have a GM smart enough not to waste chunks of cap space on nothing.

got to have 11 on the field.  And if someone is JAG then he's more than a bad player.  Just a guy means nothing special about them not that they're a liability

He went for a 2.75 1 year contract.  If they liked him, I'd assume they could have fit him in.    I've heard no mention of any interest him in the off season, to one of your earlier posts, yeah its possibly signings and interest go below the radar, and yeah who knows maybe its going on now very quietly.   But we do tend to hear noise about their interest in players eventually at least most of the time.

Just because the FO may not be interested doesn't mean they are right, as I pointed out multiple times if you go through their signings in the 2-5 million range during the last four years, they don't come across as super shrewd judges of talent, they do much better when they spend more.  Of course the law of averages kick in -- you spend more, you are more likely to get a better player.  But again, got no issues with their approach, am cool with it so far.  If they didn't sign Hatcher, I wouldn't be.     

I hear yah.

I guess I put far less faith in the rumor mill about who this team has interest in. How many of the people they signed were discussed as targets before hand? Hatcher, Hayward, Lauvao, Roberts, Sharpton Porter. And how many of the rumored interests were signed?

You are probably right in as much as if they wanted Clemons he could be here right now, but the same could also be said for Mitchell if they wanted him all they had to do was pay.

I guess all I am saying is we can't know who they are/aren't interested in. But, at the same time you could be 100% right that the FO isn't interested in Clemons, although imho they should be.

It depends on whether or not they think Pryor is their guy.

I was surprised that Penn made it here.  Probably just using us for leverage.

Oh snap... five to six teams?

Loser...

according to his agent. . . sincerussell only knows of the raiders.

Anyone else uncomfortable with the fact that Reid came out and said someone from the org. Said Sharpton was "just a guy"?

Even if he was just a guy... Should our org. be leaking that to anyone? Should Reid be flaunting it? If Reid is full of it than he's got his own issues, but I'm not very comfortable with leaks post Shanahan...

Anyone else uncomfortable with the fact that Reid came out and said someone from the org. Said Sharpton was "just a guy"?

Even if he was just a guy... Should our org. be leaking that to anyone? Should Reid be flaunting it? If Reid is full of it than he's got his own issues, but I'm not very comfortable with leaks post Shanahan...

My initial thought was that he was primarily brought in to be a special teams ace, with the potential to maybe get some pt if he shows well in camp.

So I'm not sure if "Just a guy" means that he's an average special teamer or an average LB. And yeah, I'm not sure why anyone in our FO would leak that (to WaPo of ll places) in light of the serial leaking back in December.

Reid has always been a douchebag. 

I think he still gets crap for finally becoming a good guy last year and picking us to go 12-4... that'll take a while to burn off that donut.

He's not in the OP because we didn't sign him.

I guess I can put a little blurb in there. He was re-instated almost two months ago, though Po.

Thanks for the reply, and I certainly appreciate everything you have put into the OP.... But haven't seen a single source saying he is reinstated. ...his own thread doesn't really know anything. ...last I saw was his agent saying he was not being reinstated by the opening of FA. personally don't care much if he's back or not....but thought I'd missed something while driving today. Hail.

Didn't we already know that?  You don't pay "Just A Guy's" very little.  We have several JAG's who are, right now, competing for a starting spot.  Hayward, Sharpton, Robinson, and theoretical draft pick in May.

Actually, I think Robinson has the potential to be more than JAG...but I get your point.

Thanks for the reply, and I certainly appreciate everything you have put into the OP.... But haven't seen a single source saying he is reinstated. ...his own thread doesn't really know anything. ...last I saw was his agent saying he was not being reinstated by the opening of FA. personally don't care much if he's back or not....but thought I'd missed something while driving today. Hail.

Yeah, I'm am pretty confident he's back for camp.  How affective he's going to be is up to him.

Nah, Reid was more or less Captain obvious in regard to Sharpton being 'jag'. I don't consider that a knock against the guy. You need jags to fill out your roster and sometimes jags can help the team win.

I agree you don't need stars everywhere but as I said, this is not a team with elite players, we don't have the AJ Greens, Richard Shermans, Earl Thomas, elite pass rushers, etc.  Maybe Trent, and RG3 in a bounce back year.  But IMO we are lacking stars/elite players.  We got some good players mixed in with "guys".  While I understand and like the FO approach so far.  From a short term point of view, I don't think adding more "guys" will make the team anything special.  But am ok with the long term methodical approach -- we need to find our elite players in the draft.  

Alfred Morris is a elite back. 

I hear yah.

I guess I put far less faith in the rumor mill about who this team has interest in. How many of the people they signed were discussed as targets before hand? Hatcher, Hayward, Lauvao, Roberts, Sharpton Porter. And how many of the rumored interests were signed?

You are probably right in as much as if they wanted Clemons he could be here right now, but the same could also be said for Mitchell if they wanted him all they had to do was pay.

I guess all I am saying is we can't know who they are/aren't interested in. But, at the same time you could be 100% right that the FO isn't interested in Clemons, although imho they should be.

Just glad Brown did not get a GM job and is here to grade the Free Agents.

Nah, Reid was more or less Captain obvious in regard to Sharpton being 'jag'. I don't consider that a knock against the guy. You need jags to fill out your roster and sometimes jags can help the team win.

I am with KD on this one, I have a problem with him saying "someone paid by the Redskins told me that".

But typical laziness from the WaPo... instead saying why like a good columnist would, he just cites someone from within the organization.  Even though it was probably Larry Michael.

I agree that the idea he's a role player isn't a knock. The phrase "just a guy" isn't a flattering term, though.

Someone in the org shouldn't be saying that stuff to anyone. Especially in that wording.

I have to wonder if anyone actually did. But I'm not happy that I honestly have to think about it.

Just curious...when did Clark become SOOO good. Guy makes 1 pro bowl as a replacement, is 35 years old and almost without doubt will not be laying his body out for this game ever again. 

He can't wait to land some media spot, and I don't know why because he never has anything interesting to say and was just a cut above mediocre.

People pulling for a 35 year old safety...give me Woodson or Champ as a convert. Ryan Clark needs to fly a kite IMO

I feel the same way. I had high hopes for him, but those tweets and almost a need for attention is rubbing me the wrong way. I'll pass. Rather keep Meriweather and Thomas/Rambo and run w/ our guys.

There is 1 free agent that i would like the skins to pursue.  Jacoby Ford.  I think he would do great for us for PR and KR

I thought this too when I first saw he was going to be a free agent but then I was pretty shocked when I looked at his career stats. I know stats for the most part do not tell the whole story but I feel they're pretty accurate (or at least enough so) on returns. 

Last year was actually the first time in his career he's returned punts. While 9 returns for 77 yards is better than anything we could put together last year, it's nothing to write home about. What is something to write about is the fact that he fumbled 3 times. Literally 1/3 of the time he touched the ball he put it on the ground. 

Ford was something of a stud as a kickoff returner when he was a rookie several years ago, returning 3 for TD's out of 53. Unfortunately he also put 3 of those balls on the ground. He's had two seasons since his rookie year (he was injured all of 2012) and has only had 22 returns for 1 TD 1 fumble and an average of about 25 yards per return. 

If you would have asked me off the top of my head I would have been pumped to sign him as a returner but it seems my memory consists only of his rookie year as a kickoff returner because he's been pretty poor at kick and punt returns since. 

He also puts the ball on the ground at an alarming rate both as a special teamer and a receiver. Not even sure I'd take a flyer on this guy. 

http://www.nfl.com/player/jacobyford/497288/careerstats

I agree that the idea he's a role player isn't a knock. The phrase "just a guy" isn't a flattering term, though.

Someone in the org shouldn't be saying that stuff to anyone. Especially in that wording.

I have to wonder if anyone actually did. But I'm not happy that I honestly have to think about it.

Could have been taken out of context

Archived