Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Burgold

I frequently see writers or hear people say 'untracked.'  As in, "the team needs to get untracked" to reach their goal.  WRONG.  It makes no sense.  It should be 'on track.'  It derives from train lingo, so if you become 'untracked' then you are derailed, the exact opposite of the meaning they are trying to convey.  You want to be 'on track' to reach your goal (destination).

That is and odd usage. Untracked as an adjective typically means wild with a connotation of exploring. "The untracked wilderness"

But maybe there is a more esoteric origin for using it as a verb, going back to a time when heavy equipment like tanks was transported to battle fronts primarily by rail? Equipment would have been packed up, so untracked could by a synomyn for "unpacked" or "unlimbered."

You are going to make me loose my mind.

It's amazing how common that is. I don't pronounce lose and loose the same, so I don't usually make that error.

It's vs. Its is an error I make all the time. Rule of thumb: If you can replace the contraction with it is or it has, then put an apostrophe. Then its is for possessive. Harder than you'd think to remember that though. Sometimes I'll type out a long post and then look over like 15 different usages of the word "it's" and not know if I did any of them right.

Ending sentences with a preposition.

Too many people speak this way too, so it's not uncommon to find that they are writing like they are talking. It's okay to get thoughts down, but then the thoughts need editing.  There's no more editing to get the message across like one means to.

Just the other day, I had to edit heavily to rework sentences in a variety of ways, including eliminating the dreaded (to me) sentence ending preposition.

No one can answer this for me.

It doesn't bother me that people do it, but it's crazy that no one knows why.

3 words, all similar, same meaning : Fixin', Fittin', Fin

I have never said any of those "words" when expressing that I am going to do something.

So strange to me.

Many, many years ago, my college roommate & friend (may he RIP), said to me: "I'm fin to go to eat. You ready?"

I looked at him like he had 2 heads because I had no idea what it meant. He told me and we both just started laughing. RIP Vic. I miss you...

"would of", "should of", "could of" instead of "would have", etc

Also I use to hate when people misused 'literally' except now they've updated the definition of the word to mean its own exact opposite because so many people were misusing it.  So maybe I need to get with the times...

I frequently see writers or hear people say 'untracked.'  As in, "the team needs to get untracked" to reach their goal.  WRONG.  It makes no sense.  It should be 'on track.'  It derives from train lingo, so if you become 'untracked' then you are derailed, the exact opposite of the meaning they are trying to convey.  You want to be 'on track' to reach your goal (destination).

I'm with you on this one. 

That is and odd usage. Untracked as an adjective typically means wild with a connotation of exploring. "The untracked wilderness"

But maybe there is a more esoteric origin for using it as a verb, going back to a time when heavy equipment like tanks was transported to battle fronts primarily by rail? Equipment would have been packed up, so untracked could by a synomyn for "unpacked" or "unlimbered."

No, I think it is simply just that people misheard "on track" as "untrack" just as with may of the others listed above such as "intensive purposes" vs "intents and purposes" and the erroneous version has gained ground because people don't think about what they're writing and saying and whether it truly makes sense.

One thing that drives me crazy is when I am trying to parallel park and I scrape my wheels on the curve.

Then I usually proclaim, "I'm fixin' to loose my mind after consistantly committing parking malpractice."

In other driving related news:

I hate when you are driving down the highway, and see all the litter that people throw into the medium.

wide receiver core is a good one, I read it all the time.

Too many people speak this way too, so it's not uncommon to find that they are writing like they are talking. It's okay to get thoughts down, but then the thoughts need editing.  There's no more editing to get the message across like one means to.

Just the other day, I had to edit heavily to rework sentences in a variety of ways, including eliminating the dreaded (to me) sentence ending preposition.

reminds me of the guy that was on Harvard's campus looking for the library.  "Scuse me do you know where the library's at?"

-"I can't tell you, you obviously don't go to Harvard.  No Harvard man would ever end his sentence in a preposition!"

-"Oh, sorry.  Do you know where the library's at, asshole?"

Um... intentional?

Split infinitives not the same to you?

:)

A situation up with which you shall not put...

Actually, there is no grammatic law in English against ending sentences with a preposition. It was a grammatical law for medieval latin, and some monk decided the same rule should apply to english...and so the myth spread.

No one can answer this for me.

It doesn't bother me that people do it, but it's crazy that no one knows why.

3 words, all similar, same meaning : Fixin', Fittin', Fin

I have never said any of those "words" when expressing that I am going to do something.

So strange to me.

Read the book "How the Scots Invented the Modern World." Those are expressions brought over by the Scotch Irish, along with "words" like "critters." The term redneck actually comes from an expression about people living on the border, though I can't remember offhand if it was the border between Scottish controlled areas of Ireland and the South, or the border between Scotland and England.

"literally"

seriously- i hear people say this all the time now when they are simply emphasizing a point. people on the tv, radio, people who are basically paid to talk and communicate a point. 

"the redskins LITERALLY threw the game away!"

did they? they picked it up and threw it in the trash? ok.

drives me nuts. 

speaking of people paid to communicate, but still do so poorly.....

People with conventional views must repress a gag reflex when considering the mayor-elect of New York—a white man married to a black woman and with two biracial children. (richard cohen)

conventional was definitely not the correct word......

In MMA (and boxing), when there's a uninanimous decision for someone in a close fight, a lot of new fans will say this classic line: "I think 'Fighter A' won, but it should have been a split decision." That's basically saying that you think one of the judges should have thought the opposite of you, giving the fight to 'Fighter B'. Don't say it should have been a split decision to emphasize how close a fight was. All 3 judges could score a fight 48-47 for the same person in a razor close fight.

"literally"

seriously- i hear people say this all the time now when they are simply emphasizing a point. people on the tv, radio, people who are basically paid to talk and communicate a point. 

"the redskins LITERALLY threw the game away!"

did they? they picked it up and threw it in the trash? ok.

drives me nuts. 

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/literally

Archived