Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Burgold

This thread is a bit about pet peeves or at least about misused language.  I was reading the sports page this morning and once again I came upon the word "consistant."  The team or the players the writer begged needs to become consistant.

Well, damn it they have been consistant.  The Redskins special teams this year has been consistantly bad. The Wizards have been a consistantly bad team.  Players who say we need to get more consistant don't know what they are asking for... NFL Refs consistantly blow calls (against us).

Consistant doesn't = good.  Is that so hard to understand?

Certain words have flexibility, but others are constant.  Now, I know that some of you will not care about this irregardless of its truth... and I know that some of you go nuts when the word irregardless is used.  Still, this is a thread to complain about what Inigo Montoya so properly pointed out many years ago...

Our use of the English language is "Inconceivable."

What word/language misuse drives you nuts?

Also this is random, but I HATE sentences that don't make sense and arguments that aren't supported by logic.

Case in point for the first one: just saw a Chevy Silverado commercial that said, "it's second to no one in its class. And by no one, we mean Ram and Ford." I thought about this for a second, and it seems to me that if the Silverado is second to "no one" and "no one" = "Ram and Ford" then that's the equivalent of saying the Silverado is "second to Ram and Ford." I'm quite sure that's not what they were going for with that ad.

Yeah, I used to hate movie previews that would proclaim... "Beyond your imagination!"

Why in the world would I ever want to see something that I could never possibly comprehend.  If it were truly beyond my imagination it would be inconceivable (to me)

All the sudden. 

Thanks for pointing out that one. I have to work with a few jokers who are consistantly saying this.

Here is one that is not "common" but it is becoming more prevalent - Chipolte.

Dude, I love Chipolte, their burritos are consistantly huge, irregardless of the quality! Pass some extra Chipolte sauce, it tastes sooo good. I was driving down the street and all the sudden I saw a Chipolte!

No one can answer this for me.

It doesn't bother me that people do it, but it's crazy that no one knows why.

3 words, all similar, same meaning : Fixin', Fittin', Fin

I have never said any of those "words" when expressing that I am going to do something.

So strange to me.

Also this is random, but I HATE sentences that don't make sense and arguments that aren't supported by logic.

Case in point for the first one: just saw a Chevy Silverado commercial that said, "it's second to no one in its class. And by no one, we mean Ram and Ford." I thought about this for a second, and it seems to me that if the Silverado is second to "no one" and "no one" = "Ram and Ford" then that's the equivalent of saying the Silverado is "second to Ram and Ford." I'm quite sure that's not what they were going for with that ad.

Ha! Maybe this is truth in advertising...Chevy is just admitting the Silverado is third best in a really sneaky way.

Anyway, look at all you smarty-pants in here acting like you are Road scholars. Stop acting like pre-Madonnas. 

(I actually witnessed those two examples on this board.)

Loose.  Loose is NOT LOOZE.  Your pants are LOOSE and hang off your butt.  That is loose....not tight.

Redskins LOSE...that is LOOZE.

Also I *seen* that.  It's I saw that.  Try to know when to use seen and saw.

This one! OMG...it really irks me to see this...I also have a friend that uses the "are" for the word "or" b/c his accent makes it sound like "are" when he says "or"...but he writes it like that! UGH! I have told him about this numerous times and he still does it!(old "doh" smiley)...also this new 'dis' and 'dat' and 'doe'...omfg...seriously? especially if grown ppl(ppl over the age of 35 write it that way)...

BYE

Sports. in a tournament, the preferential status of a player or team not paired with a competitor in an early round and thus automatically advanced to play in the next round: The top three seeded players received byes in the first round.

---------------------------------------

Why do we call the "off week in the middle of the season" a bye?

Expression:

Leader in the clubhouse

That is not the person that is ahead part way through a season.  It is the person that has already completed their portion of a competition and is ahead while waiting for others to finish.  It originates in golf where some players finish long before others.  And usually before the players that were ahead of them going into the round. 

No one can answer this for me.

It doesn't bother me that people do it, but it's crazy that no one knows why.

3 words, all similar, same meaning : Fixin', Fittin', Fin

I have never said any of those "words" when expressing that I am going to do something.

So strange to me.

ebonics-and-language-education.gif

i'm black, so its not racist LOLOL.

I frequently see writers or hear people say 'untracked.'  As in, "the team needs to get untracked" to reach their goal.  WRONG.  It makes no sense.  It should be 'on track.'  It derives from train lingo, so if you become 'untracked' then you are derailed, the exact opposite of the meaning they are trying to convey.  You want to be 'on track' to reach your goal (destination).

Archived