Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Xbox One Vs Ps4

DM72

50 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

ok, I got you. Agree on all counts there. I didn't realize Shadow had a new developer. That makes me nervous. To be fair, I actually don't care about the trilogy story/Trinity aspect of it. I just want another kickass game like the first two.

As for Halo 

Hide contents

Agree again there. The multiplayer is great and the campaign is just not on the level or the previous games. I was really looking forward to seeing Chief deal with Cortana's sacrifice and how that changed him. "Promise me when this is all over you'll realize which one of us is the machine" I thought that meant something. Then the hunt the truth stuff made it seem like there was an ONI coverup and Chief had gone rogue which I could speculate was due to Cortana.

When Blue Team, his family,  was announced to be in it...i thought this would be a very personal story for Chief, a darker continuation of 4's story. And there was just none of that. Locke and his team were meh. The whole Chief going rogue stuff was just a slight misunderstanding. The AI rebellion...WTF. I'm pretty sure they are backed into a corner now and the story is destination ****ed beyond repair. They need to hire new writers stat. 

Spoiler

Yes, and I thought they'd made some progress in getting better writers when they brought in former writers from Bioware. But those guys left after a year or less. It just seems like 343 has too many chiefs and not enough indians. Too many writers trying to write their own narratives, and it's not cohesive at all. Who wrote Locke into this story, and who thought this completely unproven lead character was worthy of getting more screen time than MC? 

I feel better that it seems they've listened to fans, and the game not coming out yet suggests they want to make sure Halo 6 is great. I hope it's like what Sony did with their Santa Monica studio and God of War 4. After a lackluster GoW3, Sony told them what they showed them simply wasn't good enough. So they went back and reinvented the God of War series. I think it's going to work out because this latest one looks awesome and will probably sell well. Although I don't want the gameplay to completely change like they did GoW4, I do want new experiences in my campaign. 

58 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Damn I didn't know there was a Heavy Rain remastered. Gonna have to get that. Definitely a top 10 PS3 game imo.

For me, best game so far on PS4 is Witcher 3. Still gotta go back and play it, for all the DLC and extra story missions and stuff.

I have Witcher 3 on Xbox, still haven't played it yet. 

And yeah, Heavy Rain remastered is exactly as it was on PS3. Which is great, and also not so great lol. Story is still awesome, but the QTE is still janky and the controls are outdated. But I enjoyed it, got the best ending this time around. 

50 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

I like Heavy Rain's controls.  Fight me.

Do you also like waterboarding? Lol. Those controls were awful man. I legit believe most of the people who had a protagonist die was simply due the game not recognizing their QTE commands. I don’t remember any games in recent memory that forced you to hold a button down to walk. 

4 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

Do you also like waterboarding? Lol. Those controls were awful man. I legit believe most of the people who had a protagonist die was simply due the game not recognizing their QTE commands. I don’t remember any games in recent memory that forced you to hold a button down to walk. 

The controls made sense for what the game was attempting to accomplish.  The tension, confusion, and difficulty of actions to pull off fit the structure of the game.  And they did a pretty good job with using the same buttons for similar actions so you could anticipate which button might be coming up based on visual cues.

4 hours ago, Gamebreaker said:

Reveal hidden contents

Yes, and I thought they'd made some progress in getting better writers when they brought in former writers from Bioware. But those guys left after a year or less. It just seems like 343 has too many chiefs and not enough indians. Too many writers trying to write their own narratives, and it's not cohesive at all. Who wrote Locke into this story, and who thought this completely unproven lead character was worthy of getting more screen time than MC? 

I feel better that it seems they've listened to fans, and the game not coming out yet suggests they want to make sure Halo 6 is great. I hope it's like what Sony did with their Santa Monica studio and God of War 4. After a lackluster GoW3, Sony told them what they showed them simply wasn't good enough. So they went back and reinvented the God of War series. I think it's going to work out because this latest one looks awesome and will probably sell well. Although I don't want the gameplay to completely change like they did GoW4, I do want new experiences in my campaign. 

I have Witcher 3 on Xbox, still haven't played it 

And I thought I was bad... ?

It's awesome, though. Definitely high up there in terms of all time games for me

Shame about Heavy Rain, if that's true. I'm pretty sure I got close to a perfect ending the first time I ever played it, but it was probably luck, because the second playthrough, the lead detective OD'd and I panicked and made it worse, ending with the Origami Killer roaming free at the end.

20 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

And I thought I was bad... ?

It's awesome, though. Definitely high up there in terms of all time games for me

Shame about Heavy Rain, if that's true. I'm pretty sure I got close to a perfect ending the first time I ever played it, but it was probably luck, because the second playthrough, the lead detective OD'd and I panicked and made it worse, ending with the Origami Killer roaming free at the end.

Yeah, I got the perfect ending this time but back on ps3 it didn’t turn out that well. First try I got the father arrested, the FBI agent killed, and the reporter had to save the day. The second time I got the father arrested again, everyone else killed and the Origami killer got away. It’s defintiely a game that can be unforgiving with the QTE. 

My first Heavy Rain attempt:

Managed to get everyone to the right place.  Missed a couple clues for the father (refused to murder anyone and maybe didn't cut off his finger), but managed to get enough clues to make an educated guess as to the location.  Had the reporter make a call to the detective after surviving the explosion Indiana Jones style in the fridge, telling him where to show up.  Took out the killer in the fist fight.  Only thing avoiding what might be considered the best ending was that Papa-bear and reporter didn't get together.  Their moment to make-or-break the relationship seemed rather inappropriately timed (seems like father would be a bit too concerned with his missing child to be getting it on) so I did not pursue that angle at that moment, but it seems there was no other opportunity.

Oh, and I did shoot that one guy as the detective.  I panicked at the end after I had thought I managed to de-escalate the situation.  Made me feel like ****, especially after the partner started holding that over my holier-than-thou head.

7 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Since this seems like a general console thread, can we talk Switch in here?

Anyone have Kirby?  Debating getting it so I can play it on a flight this weekend.  It's only like an hour each way though lol.

Dont have Kirby. I keep trying to talk my nephew into it so he can tell me if its any good. I need me an old school, gameboy no color, classic ass Kirby and im pretty sure thats not what that is. 

Far Cry 5 is pretty great, but it is taking me forever to earn enough money to buy the most badass guns.  This is probably more related to my style of play than anything wrong with the game (I have an aversion to killing animals that aren't attacking me and the concept of conserving ammo is entirely foreign to me, so I spend a lot of money on more ammo and explosives.  Especially explosives).  

This is also my first exposure to microtransactions.  I bought spent like $20 for some silver bars (because why the **** not) and literally have no idea what to do with them.  

On 4/2/2018 at 6:55 PM, PokerPacker said:

I like Heavy Rain's controls.  Fight me.

You seem to like the contrarian role so this isn’t surprising 

2 hours ago, Mournblade said:

Spiderman PS4 set to release Sept 7 2018. THAT game looks pretty awesome, can't wait for it.

Have no idea what I'm going to be playing this summer though.

Yeah gameinformer is doing their cover story on it in May so should have a lot more info soon. 

God of War seems like one to hold over for the summer. I’m intrigued because the combat looks better and the story seems to be a stronger focus. Could never get into the other GOW games 

12 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Yeah gameinformer is doing their cover story on it in May so should have a lot more info soon. 

God of War seems like one to hold over for the summer. I’m intrigued because the combat looks better and the story seems to be a stronger focus. Could never get into the other GOW games 

God of War comes out at the end of this month. I'm only going to be playing it on weekends; still, I don't think its going to be that long a game, probably 2-3 weekends tops. In fact Far Cry 5 should be a much longer game.

I'm sure there some pretty cool titles coming out this summer, I'm not just aware of any atm.

(btw Momma when you play UC Lost Legacy skip the "tokens" quest (at the beginning) which is annoying as hell and just play the main quest.

Its an awesome, awesome game.)

24 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I'm trying to come up with an example that proves I'm not, but I'm coming up blank.

I prefer to think of myself as an outlier, though.  I don't dislike things because other people like them (I think), I just have very different taste than most people (better taste, that is :)).  For one thing, I definitely like games to do something different, and I think that is where a lot of my contrarianness stems from.  So many games try to appeal to the broad audience which means you get a lot of games doing a lot of the same thing and a lot of people like it.  But I want to see something different that I haven't seen before.

Heavy Rain was an example of something different.  Sure, it could have controlled like every other 3rd person game out there, but I thought their choice in control scheme really added to the narrative making you struggle in similar ways the player-character is supposed to be struggling.  I thought the controls became fairly intuitive as the game went on and I was able to anticipate a lot of the quick time events because of how they had continually reinforced what button is usually associated with what kind of movement.  And by making the entire gameplay like this, it doesn't take you out of the flow of the game to throw QTEs at you like games past that just randomly popped a QTE at you to press some random button that makes no sense to press other than they tell you to press it.

There's another game that came out last year that a lot of people panned because of the unintuitive control scheme that I really liked: Snake Pass.  It's not so simple to move as just press forward and move forward.  But more intricate controls really requiring you to slither and wrap around things and think like a snake.  I really appreciated the attempt to change the way we think about moving.  Only take a bit of practice before I got the feel for how to move around and movement became second nature with so much better depth of control vs simplified control schemes.

Perhaps my ability to articulate why my opinion differs from others is proof I'm not really a contrarian, but just somebody with a rather different view on things?

37 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I understand you and I didn’t mean that negatively if that’s the way it came off. 

That makes sense too about heavy rain but didn’t you dislike BOTW which was something pretty different in regards to that franchise. Trying to remember, maybe I confused you with another poster tho 

I didn't take it negatively.  In fact, I have wondered to myself if I am a contrarian.  I certainly understand why somebody would think so.

And yes, I do rate BOTW as my least favorite 3D Zelda game.  The thing with Zelda is, with pretty much any of them, you can say it is something different for the franchise.  Each of them really brought something new and unique (well maybe Twilight Princess was created more in the mold of OoT, but don't you dare say bad things about my precious!).

OoT was the original.
Majora's Mask condensed the exploration into small regions with a groundhog-day mechanic bursting with well-done side-quests.  Oh, and the masks.

Wind Waker got rid of Hyrule Field completely replacing it with sailing the ocean.  Also some new battle mechanics with QTE-type counter-attacks and being able to pick up enemy weapons.

Twilight Princess... improved on OoT's gameplay and replaced WW's QTE counter attacks with the hidden techniques to manually perform those types of attacks.

Skyward Sword had the tight motion controls and a more linear-progression map where the world was a big dungeon.  Also brought sprinting for the first time.

So you might say that part of what I love about the franchise is that it doesn't just fall back on old habits; each game brings a very unique flavor.  The problem I had with BotW wan't that it was different, but how it was different.  I didn't care for the weapon durability issue.  When the Sword That Banishes Evil can't even slay an overworld enemy without breaking (sorry, temporarily running out of energy), you have a problem.  That one issue had a bit of an avalanche effect through the game.  The "reward" for exploration was a weapon that you'd get maybe a couple uses out of, so that was rather unfulfilling.  Combat became something to be avoided as you'd find yourself breaking weapons and shields leaving you worse-off than before.  Even interesting fun things like shield-surfing came with having your shield break, so you avoid doing even that.  All of that stemming from just one game mechanic choice.

I didn't like the lack of money or other useful resources gathered, either.  In the past, you'd get money and ammo and such from killing enemies and cutting grass and whatever.  but now you get useless items that you then have to craft into useful items that you then have to track down somebody to sell them to so you can then buy arrows so you can go into combat.  That's too many steps between me and feathering some Bokoblins.  I don't want to sit down and craft things all day.  That's one of the things that turned me off about Monster Hunter (talking about when I played Tri on the Wii; don't get me wrong, I had some fun, but micromanaging of collecting and crafting stuff before going out on a hunt detracted from the experience).

The narrative was lacking.  The dungeons were non-existent (no, shrines do not count).  The progression of finding new items to open up new possibilities wasn't really there.  Horses were practically useless since they couldn't take you up a mountain and wouldn't join you once you got to the other side; had to go back to a stable to get one rather than just whistling for Epona wherever you are and she comes running.  Speaking of mountains, climbing became the bane of my existence.  Especially when it started to rain.

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

How come none of you maw****s in here talking Fortnite?

I love Fortnite, but I got burned out on it fairly quick, haven't played in 4-6 weeks.  It's technically still in early access and the full version hasn't come out yet.  I did just read they did a big patch update end of March, added some more content, so I might hop on it tonight or this weekend.  

For me, it got too repetitive due to the limited content one had access to.

16 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Far Cry 5 is pretty great, but it is taking me forever to earn enough money to buy the most badass guns.  This is probably more related to my style of play than anything wrong with the game (I have an aversion to killing animals that aren't attacking me and the concept of conserving ammo is entirely foreign to me, so I spend a lot of money on more ammo and explosives.  Especially explosives).  

THULFII.gif

Everything must die. Everything

Archived