Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Xbox One Vs Ps4

DM72

Still can't believe that PS4 and XB1 don't support 3D blu ray.

I like blu ray for its superior video and audio quality and I do like a 3D movie every now and again.

Looks like I'll be buying a stand alone blu ray player so I can get all the functionality I want. That's a major knock on both systems for me.

Still can't believe that PS4 and XB1 don't support 3D blu ray.

I like blu ray for its superior video and audio quality and I do like a 3D movie every now and again.

Looks like I'll be buying a stand alone blu ray player so I can get all the functionality I want. That's a major knock on both systems for me.

Unless you have money to burn, don't waste your money on a Blu ray player, the technology is already on its way out.  Physical media in general has 2 years or so before it is totally dead.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2014/01/04/yes-blu-ray-is-better-than-streaming-video-but-its/

Well, the non-3D support is odd, but it says not available at launch.  Only a system update is needed.  If that's the only reason your buying a console, then I don't know what to tell ya.  And why are people so ticked off about PS3 games not working on the PS4?  Keep your PS3 and play those games if they mean so much to ya lol.  

Hell, my PS3 is now my new blu-ray, Amazon, Netflix, VuDu player for my office.  And a back-up 3D blu-ray player for my 3D TV in my bonus room.  Reason being, I have an old Samsung Blu-Ray player in my office that can't get the Amazon app.  

I'm not big on online-streaming services for games. I'd much prefer to be able to use my own computer to run the games and stream them to my own devices and not pay a subscription.

That said, I'm curious as to the kind of latency you'll see from streaming games online. You've gotta send your control signals across the internet to the machine running the software that then has to react to your input, and send the output all the way back across the internet to your machine. Online streaming is perfect for non-interactive mediums like Movies and Music, as latency does not matter, but interactive media is another issue.

The "Creative 5G Mobile Strategy", which the South Korea science ministry claims will be 1000 times faster than current 4G networks — fast enough to download an 800MB full-length film in under a second — aims for a trial service to be rolled out by 2017, and to be completed by 2020.

"We helped fuel national growth with 2G services in the 1990s, 3G in the 2000s and 4G around 2010. Now it is time to take preemptive action to develop 5G," the science ministry said in a statement. "Countries in Europe, China and the US are making aggressive efforts to develop 5G technology...and we believe there will be fierce competition in this market in a few years."

The ministry also said that the new network would allow travellers on bullet trains travelling at speeds of 500 kilometres an hour to access the internet. At the moment, the limit is 300 kilometres per hour.

Rivals currently working on 5G networks include Huawei in China, NTT Docomo in Japan, and Samsung, also in South Korea.

Looks like in the next 5 to 6 years there will be access to 5G, which is 1,000 times faster than what we have now.

Link:http://www.cnet.com.au/south-korea-building-5g-network-1000x-faster-than-4g-339346488.htm

The "Creative 5G Mobile Strategy", which the South Korea science ministry claims will be 1000 times faster than current 4G networks — fast enough to download an 800MB full-length film in under a second — aims for a trial service to be rolled out by 2017, and to be completed by 2020.

"We helped fuel national growth with 2G services in the 1990s, 3G in the 2000s and 4G around 2010. Now it is time to take preemptive action to develop 5G," the science ministry said in a statement. "Countries in Europe, China and the US are making aggressive efforts to develop 5G technology...and we believe there will be fierce competition in this market in a few years."

The ministry also said that the new network would allow travellers on bullet trains travelling at speeds of 500 kilometres an hour to access the internet. At the moment, the limit is 300 kilometres per hour.

Rivals currently working on 5G networks include Huawei in China, NTT Docomo in Japan, and Samsung, also in South Korea.

Looks like in the next 5 to 6 years there will be access to 5G, which is 1,000 times faster than what we have now.

Link:http://www.cnet.com.au/south-korea-building-5g-network-1000x-faster-than-4g-339346488.htm

faster than the current wireless broadband, sure. Also, that's South Korea, a country that already dominates us in Internet bandwidth.

Plus, in 5-6 years, we'll be looking at the next consoles.

A white Xbox One is coming. Microsoft may also release a $399 console by getting rid of the disc drive.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/29/white-xbox-one-price-drop/

They would easily make up the loss on hardware by selling digital games. They get a bigger cut of those sales.

There's also a thread on NeoGAF where an insider is dropping a lot of information. Might be getting Halo 2 Anniversary in November, Halo 5 next year.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=760013

They would easily make up the loss on hardware by selling digital games. They get a bigger cut of those sales.

White console sounds cool but why in the world would anyone buy an Xbox w out a disc drive?! It doesn't make any sense. You can't rent games or buy used games and even new games are ALWAYS the same price or more expensive digitally.

I guess it's for people that don't want discs and don't mind spending a lot more money for the same games?

White console sounds cool but why in the world would anyone buy an Xbox w out a disc drive?! It doesn't make any sense. You can't rent games or buy used games and even new games are ALWAYS the same price or more expensive digitally.

I guess it's for people that don't want discs and don't mind spending a lot more money for the same games?

There's probably a market for it. I don't believe in buying digital stuff though. I'm still buying CDs.

Blu rays and any other physical media will be a thing of the past within a couple years. These consoles shouldn't have wasted time with disks to begin with.

I can't argue with this, but currently, today, buying a system that won't use discs is a bad move. You can get any game on disc for cheaper. Either renting it, buying it used or buying it new. It will be more expensive and of less value digitally almost every single time.

I know that some people just don't care about saving the money but I will never understand that.

This feels like a dumb question already, but will the ability to stream in 1080p be something coming along soon?  I know some pay services have 1080p, but I'm wondering about Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc.  We have both netflix streaming and blu-ray disc mail service.  The streaming movies from Netflix look good in HD, but they still don't hold a candle to the picture of a blu-ray disc. 

We watched Pacific Rim the other night on blu-ray...my goodness.  :o

Blu rays and any other physical media will be a thing of the past within a couple years. These consoles shouldn't have wasted time with disks to begin with.

I really don't see that happening.  I love having a physical disk of a game or movie that I love.  I guess if hard drives become so big and cost efficient to where they can store hundreds of games and movies in HD quality and digital surround sound, then I guess it could happen.  Who knows, maybe I'm wrong.  I am a person who misses Blockbuster Video lol.

Archived