Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Xbox One Vs Ps4

DM72

I've heard on a podcast recently that 343 Industries won't have Halo 5 ready by this fall, it'll be out the holiday season of 2015. Instead, they will have an updated version of Halo 2 Anniversary.  <_<

Yeah, I did hear something about that as well.  I'm a Halo guy so anything is better than nothing, which is the main reason I will buy an Xbox One.  I really only play a few games anymore.  The Halo, BioShock, and Gears of War series.  Every couple of years I will buy the newest version of Madden.  I don't get a chance to play much, so when I do I play something that I am for the most part familiar with so I don't have to relearn the controls all the time.  lol

Destiny does look pretty awesome, and it's too bad for Microsoft that it will be on both systems.  Halo is what made Xbox.  Destiny won't do the same.  

Regardless, competition is good for everybody, so let the war continue. 

Exactly

Microsoft and Sony are going to be fighting this war for a long time. Neither system is going anywhere.  

Unless you are a collector I see no reason to keep your games as dusty shelf show pieces rather then get $12-25 bucks off the next game you buy.

I've traded mine in to Best Buy and Gamestop quite a few times.  If it's a game I beat and I will probably never play again, why not save a few bucks.  

I've heard on a podcast recently that 343 Industries won't have Halo 5 ready by this fall, it'll be out the holiday season of 2015. Instead, they will have an updated version of Halo 2 Anniversary.  <_<

HALO 2 in HD will be sweet, try Titanfall imo will be the Halo of this generation. Halo 5 sometime next year maybe fall I am thinking, I am not rushing it. For shooters your going to have Titanfall, Destiny, the next COD, Battlefield 5 and Halo 2 LOADED 2014. HALO 4 2015 and GEARS 2015 to 2016.

XBOX is where its at for shooters always have and always will be, Resistance and Killzone can't match,  HALO, Gears, or Titanfall. Playstation owns platformers and action adventure games for sure.

Correction: Nintendo owns platformers.

I got Mario World 3D last week and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze yesterday. I'll just say that playing both of those games on the Wii U has been fun. 

Just my two cents, but If you have kids that likes to play video games, and you haven't brought them a Wii U (if you can afford it), you are a bad parent. :D

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/02/17/metal-gear-solid-5-ground-zeroes-is-1080p-on-ps4-720p-on-xbox/

Microsoft is going to get the brakes beaten off them this round. It's the inferior system many Devs say and have said all along and now the proof is coming out. Also, most games aren't even exclusive anymore as they are coming to PC as well like titanfall so the Xbox one is 3rd in terms of multiplatform games. Pretty much all the gaming sites, streamers and people I know that played the titanfall beta on Xbox one and PC say PC is easily the definitive version of the game. xbox one is also the more expensive console and they gimped their gaming capabilities to add a bunch of gimmick stuff. Hope Microsoft learns their lesson for next round because I can't see how they will catch up. As stated, there won't be many exclusive games coming to the Xbox one because they will be released on PC as well. If anything I'm happy about both consoles because they are so similar to PCs now its easy to port to PC or develop on PC and downscale to consoles. More games on PC & Steam makes me a happy gamer.

I doubt the difference in power between the Xbone and the PS4 will really have much of an affect. Still too early in the generation to declare the Xbone out of it, but Microsoft really needs to give gamers a reason to want the kinect that they've decided is an essential part of the console, driving up the cost.

Like you, though, I'm more of a spectator watching the two duke it out while I sit here with my PC. Seems to me like they've kinda forgotten the reason so many people use consoles rather than PCs. They're fighting over who's the most powerful and trying to be all-in-one media machines. They're losing the affordability, simplicity, and the optimization to get the most out of the hardware. The PS4 and Xbone use what, 3-3.5 gigs of RAM for the OS? I'm also curious about the decision to go to oct-core processors, because last I knew, it was rare for a game to even make use out of 4 cores, much less 8. Did they do that to satisfy hungry operating systems, or are we actually expecting games to start making use of 8 cores?

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/02/17/metal-gear-solid-5-ground-zeroes-is-1080p-on-ps4-720p-on-xbox/

Microsoft is going to get the brakes beaten off them this round. It's the inferior system many Devs say and have said all along and now the proof is coming out. Also, most games aren't even exclusive anymore as they are coming to PC as well like titanfall so the Xbox one is 3rd in terms of multiplatform games. Pretty much all the gaming sites, streamers and people I know that played the titanfall beta on Xbox one and PC say PC is easily the definitive version of the game. xbox one is also the more expensive console and they gimped their gaming capabilities to add a bunch of gimmick stuff. Hope Microsoft learns their lesson for next round because I can't see how they will catch up. As stated, there won't be many exclusive games coming to the Xbox one because they will be released on PC as well. If anything I'm happy about both consoles because they are so similar to PCs now its easy to port to PC or develop on PC and downscale to consoles. More games on PC & Steam makes me a happy gamer.

For casual gamers, which is the majority of America, a game only coming on the One and PC means it's a Microsoft exclusive. 

It's way too early to say what will happen. People were this down on the PS3 around this stage of the last console generation, and they made a comeback. Anything is possible. I plan on buying both systems eventually, but everyone that I know that owns a One doesn't think it's capabilities are gimmicky. Even if they were, gimmicks worked for NIntendo with the Wii. Once the 360/PS3 games start to dwindle and gamers, not just the hardcore, start looking for a new system, features that differentiate your product from another will be seen as added value. 

Multi-platform games are always created with the weaker technology in mind. So the true test of which games will be better on which system will be determined by which system performs better(less glitches, less framerate issues, etc,.), and which system has the better online experience,. 

Either way, like someone said on the last page, I love competition. The more these two companies duke it out, the better deals they'll be for the gamers. 

Yes competition is good for everyone. Sorry if I wasn't clear but the same thing is happening with PS4 games. Most of their exclusive games are just console exclusive and will be released on the PC as well. Also, yeah 720p and 1080p might not be a lot, but if you owned both consoles which after the years go by I assume most people will, why would you buy the lesser version? It's true it will take both consoles a year or so for the Devs to get everything out of them, but there is more to get out of the PS4 than Xbox one. I guess the word "gimmick" was the wrong choice. I just see them as unneccesary. I guess mainly being a PC gamer my views are skewed in that I want my console to play video games, not have all these extra features that take away from its ability to play video games at max level. I'm sure the features are great for people that don't really use a PC, but the cost is the PS4 will most likely always have the definitive version of multiplatform games. Personally I'd rather be playing at 60 frames 1080p than be able to turn on my console and have it flip between TV, Skype and other things with voice commands while my games are running 720p 30 frames per second.

I've actually held off on getting either console seeing that 98% of the games coming out for both consoles are coming to PC and am planning to just use that $400-$500 on a gtx 780 or nvidias new maxwell line depending on when they release. Most of the games I am looking forward to ( Witcher 3, Dragon Age 3, the division, the evil within) are all coming to PC. That doesnt even take into account games like Star Citizen, pillars of eternity, wild star and Dayz that are PC exclusive. I really think steam boxes are going to take a lot of the console market share eventually and this thread will need an edit to PS4 vs Xbox vs Steam. Valves steam platform is just getting better and better and there are just so many more games available when you factor in indie titles. I know people have scoffed at indies titles in the thread in the past, but growing up playing the NES and Super NES you really dont know what you are missing being able to play new HD old school platformers, RPGs and point and click adventure games among tons of other games. What will make or break them is their controller, but it looks cool. I wont be able to judge though until its in my hands. I didnt like the DRM at first 6 years ago, but valve has added cool features to offset it and has an offline mode. The family share option to share digital games is just awesome and was one of the good things Microsoft was trying to do that they caught backlash over which sucks. Steam also is planning to allow you to trade in digital games for wallet funds sometime in the future to respond to someone earlier in this thread talking about the drawbacks of purchasing digital software. Then throw in kickstarter and allowing Devs to make niche games and interact directly with gamers cutting out publishers.... You got something special happening on PC. It allows for the Devs to get back to making games they love and not having time constraints, the same Stagnant IPs with 100s of sequels and dumbed down games to appeal to the lowest common denominator to maximize sales. I mean just look at battlefield 4 for example, a rushed out buggy piece of garbage that was released too early to make the holiday season and appease investors (who are trying to sue EA by the way).

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/30/5045830/steam-65-million-active-accounts-6-million-concurrent-users

I wouldn't say most of America is casual gamers on console, steam has something like 65 million registered accounts and passed xbox live. That's a 30 percent rise in one year. Steam also has 6 million daily concurrent users. There is also no backwards compatibility issues with PC gaming. The games I bought 10 years ago still work and always will. Even the older DOS games are being brought to Steam more and more. Then you factor in steam sales and getting these triple a titles for $10-$20 and yeah, I think steam boxes are going to take a share of the console living room. Both new consoles using x86 architecture is the best thing to happen to the PC in a long time as I have a feeling in the future most games will be developed on PC and downgraded to consoles. I too don't see the point in needed more than 4 cores at the moment. If PCs don't need that many, I really don't see why the consoles need more than 4.

Damn sorry for the wall of text. TLDR: look out Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo.... Here comes steam to the living room. Competition is great and Valves Steam coming to the living room is going to challenge Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo to evolve or be crushed.

Sony will also be showing off their VR headset for ps4 at GDC in March. Should be interesting to see what that looks like.

I don't disagree with any of the benefits you've mentioned with Steam. And I would have no problem buying digital games if they were significantly cheaper but I dot see that happening with consoles anytime soon.

Steam box should be interesting. I don't see it having much of an impact since so many versions will be released(15 or so as of now?) so I think just that will cause lost interest from anyone who isn't already interested in buying a PC to game on.

Sony will also be showing off their VR headset for ps4 at GDC in March. Should be interesting to see what that looks like.

Don't get too excited. This generation of consoles do not have the ideal power for VR. You really don't want to dip below 1080p at 60 FPS. That, and with Sony's history of VR headsets, it'll cost upwards of $1000.

I don't disagree with any of the benefits you've mentioned with Steam. And I would have no problem buying digital games if they were significantly cheaper but I dot see that happening with consoles anytime soon.

Steam box should be interesting. I don't see it having much of an impact since so many versions will be released(15 or so as of now?) so I think just that will cause lost interest from anyone who isn't already interested in buying a PC to game on.

I see Steam Boxes going the way of the smart phone. There will be many companies offering Steam Boxes but really two or so that control the market.

Personally I'd rather be playing at 60 frames 1080p than be able to turn on my console and have it flip between TV, Skype and other things with voice commands while my games are running 720p 30 frames per second.

Wow, I had no idea about the resolution thing.  A quick google search led me to an article from IGN just a few days ago.  Some of the articles I've read said that Xbox One's extra features like Kinect and "sync with your tv" take separate processors to run or something like that (techy nerd talk lol), and because of that, xbone's max resolution suffers....

"Resolution is 1080p on PS4, 900p on Xbox One"

IGN did a resolution comparison for every game on PS4 and Xbox One.  PS4 runs a higher resolution on just about every game, save 3-4.   http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

Watch Dogs And The Witcher 3: Resolutions On Xbox One vs PS4 Leaked: "900p vs 1080p and 720p vs 1080"   http://www.gamepur.com/news/13713-resolution-gate-controversy-continues-watch-dogs-runs-900p-and-1080p-ps4.html

Wow, I had no idea about the resolution thing. A quick google search led me to an article from IGN just a few days ago. Some of the articles I've read said that Xbox One's extra features like Kinect and "sync with your tv" take separate processors to run or something like that (techy nerd talk lol), and because of that, xbone's max resolution suffers....

"Resolution is 1080p on PS4, 900p on Xbox One"

IGN did a resolution comparison for every game on PS4 and Xbox One. PS4 runs a higher resolution on just about every game, save 3-4. http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

Watch Dogs And The Witcher 3: Resolutions On Xbox One vs PS4 Leaked: "900p vs 1080p and 720p vs 1080" http://www.gamepur.com/news/13713-resolution-gate-controversy-continues-watch-dogs-runs-900p-and-1080p-ps4.html

Yup, that's why if I get a console for gaming it will be a PS4. It focuses mainly on.... Well you know gaming lol. Nothing really on PS4 or coming anytime soon though that makes me want to buy one. They could of had me with Dark Souls 2 since the PC release is in May instead if march... But it's on the older consoles.

Question about Xbox1, using the voice commands the Xbox automatically turns on my TV and directv receiver when it starts, but when I tell it to turn off it only turns off the xbox1. Is there a way to have it turn off everything?

Yes, In the Settings Menu go to TV/ONE GUIDE on the left and when you get there click POWER SETTINGS, There will be check boxes on which devices you want to turn off when turn off the xbox one.

Archived