Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Officiating

RichmondRedskin88

Maybe there was some helmet contact from the blocker, but it wasn't used as a weapon (spear). He didn't drive with his helmet. Watch his arms and you'll see that he PUSHED into the guy a bit. The Redskins player was turning to run upfield, and his momentum made him susceptible to a more serious hit than if he had had a chance to take a step or two THEN get hit. You can't ask a blocker to wait for him to take two more steps THEN throw a block. Apologies for not using player names. I don't know either by name enough. 

That is simply not accurate.  I have slowed down and re-watched a bunch of times, and I'm trying to be as objective as possible here.

Re-watch the vine someone posted earlier in the thread.  http://nesn.com/2013/10/cameron-lawrence-blindsides-redskins-david-amerson-leaves-him-with-concussion-celebrates-video/

As the returner approaches the 20, Amerson is watching him and trying to move toward the hole.  Lawrence sizes him up, sets his base and gets in position to deliver the blow.

Amerson is going horizontal across the field around the 21 as one of the announcers starts to circle him with the telestrator.  Lawrence plants his feet and bends his knees.  His arms are bent and in at the chest.

Lawrence then lowers his head and explodes into the block.  Other than maybe a hand/wrist, the first thing that touches Amerson is the crown of Lawrence's helmet straight into his earhole.  His arms follow.  The shove comes after the contact from the helmet.

h2h_zpsfb8693d1.png

That picture clearly contradicts what you saw.  THis isn't some incidental helmet contact.  It is driving with the helmet.  Any "push" was minimal or non-existent at that point.  It's helmet first, then shove. 

I'm not asking a blocker to wait or whatever.  THat's not really relevant.  What is relevant is that it was a helmet to helmet shot where he led with the crown.  A dangerous hit, precisely what the NFL has focused on eliminating, for exactly the reason that it's overly likely to cause concussions

I will say I didn't think he was jumping celebrating the hit.  I think he was celebrating the return.  But that's neither here nor there. 

I don't think there is any conspiracy either. In fact I don't think more calls go against us then other teams.  

What I do think happens though is once in awhile the calls that do against us seem to be momentum shifting type calls. Not just us, the entire NFL.   The league needs to do a better job to facilitate a system so when this kind of stuff happens the officials can have ample time and even a replay booth to make sure the call is correct.

I can agree with that. Giving the officials the option to take a step back and discuss/review any of their calls would be a nice feature of replay. Maybe not something that can be challenged (I understand that some things are not challengeable), but it would be nice if the officials had the option of going to replay during the "zebra conferences" to make sure they get it right.

Also, I think these calls tend to seem big because only good teams do a good job of overcoming them. I cannot recall off the top of my head, but I'd be willing to bet that we overcame plenty of momentum-shifting calls to win games. We were clicking on all cylinders and probably just put it in our rearview mirror.  

Nice post.

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2013/10/dwayne-harris-86-yd-punt-return-td-video/

There is the video, that wasn't a block in the back it wasn't even a shove it was touching someone on the back for a split second. No way should that have been flagged

Saw this post the other day but didn't get around to responding. I felt the need to come back to it, though, because it's one of the more laughable posts I have ever read. 

I don't know what you think the guy was doing with his hands on Paul's back (drying them, maybe?) but he clearly pushed. If you watched that video that you posted, you would see he clearly forced him (if even by a small amount) past the play. He went from being lined up to hit the PR to going just past him. There really couldn't be a more textbook case of a block in the back.

The fact that you seem to think a player can put two hands in the back of a defender and that the refs should then ponder whether he shoved him hard enough to throw the flag is a joke. Again, blocks in the side are routinely called and yet a Cowboy shoving a guy directly in the back with both hands, right in plain sight, is somehow let go. It's as bad a no-call as I've seen.

That is simply not accurate.  I have slowed down and re-watched a bunch of times, and I'm trying to be as objective as possible here.

Re-watch the vine someone posted earlier in the thread.  http://nesn.com/2013/10/cameron-lawrence-blindsides-redskins-david-amerson-leaves-him-with-concussion-celebrates-video/

As the returner approaches the 20, Amerson is watching him and trying to move toward the hole.  Lawrence sizes him up, sets his base and gets in position to deliver the blow.

Amerson is going horizontal across the field around the 21 as one of the announcers starts to circle him with the telestrator.  Lawrence plants his feet and bends his knees.  His arms are bent and in at the chest.

Lawrence then lowers his head and explodes into the block.  Other than maybe a hand/wrist, the first thing that touches Amerson is the crown of Lawrence's helmet straight into his earhole.  His arms follow.  The shove comes after the contact from the helmet.

h2h_zpsfb8693d1.png

That picture clearly contradicts what you saw.  THis isn't some incidental helmet contact.  It is driving with the helmet.  Any "push" was minimal or non-existent at that point.  It's helmet first, then shove. 

I'm not asking a blocker to wait or whatever.  THat's not really relevant.  What is relevant is that it was a helmet to helmet shot where he led with the crown.  A dangerous hit, precisely what the NFL has focused on eliminating, for exactly the reason that it's overly likely to cause concussions

I will say I didn't think he was jumping celebrating the hit.  I think he was celebrating the return.  But that's neither here nor there. 

The hit looks worse than it is because the Redskins player did not brace for impact. Look at his posture. It's completely NON braced for impact. It's as if you walked into a door or wall without putting your hands up or ducking. If you are not BRACED FOR IMPACT, you will hit the wall unprepared and will fall awkwardly.

The hit by the Cowboys player was non malicious.

Saw this post the other day but didn't get around to responding. I felt the need to come back to it, though, because it's one of the more laughable posts I have ever read. 

I don't know what you think the guy was doing with his hands on Paul's back (drying them, maybe?) but he clearly pushed. If you watched that video that you posted, you would see he clearly forced him (if even by a small amount) past the play. He went from being lined up to hit the PR to going just past him. There really couldn't be a more textbook case of a block in the back.

The fact that you seem to think a player can put two hands in the back of a defender and that the refs should then ponder whether he shoved him hard enough to throw the flag is a joke. Again, blocks in the side are routinely called and yet a Cowboy shoving a guy directly in the back with both hands, right in plain sight, is somehow let go. It's as bad a no-call as I've seen.

To say that he wasn't being pushed in the back would be like saying that a Redskins player being in the vicinity of a Dallas player on a punt play equates him blocking the guy into the ball. Oh wait...

It did seem like the Cowboys could do no wrong... but take away their 2 run backs and our fumble... Redskins 16 - Cowboys 10

The officiating was awful, but the Redskins did give Dallas three very cheap TDs.   Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm so sick of should'a, would'a, could'a.

The hit looks worse than it is because the Redskins player did not brace for impact. Look at his posture. It's completely NON braced for impact. It's as if you walked into a door or wall without putting your hands up or ducking. If you are not BRACED FOR IMPACT, you will hit the wall unprepared and will fall awkwardly.

The hit by the Cowboys player was non malicious.

It's not as we're trying to say He wanted to hurt him on purpose. I can understand when players are moving full speed at how a point of attack was probably miss judged. The result remains the same a blown call IS a blown call...However to say the hit looks worse because He hasn't braced for Impact Is completely laughable! Perhaps Sean Lee would have been fine If he had..."Braced For Impact".

The officiating was awful, but the Redskins did give Dallas three very cheap TDs.   Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm so sick of should'a, would'a, could'a.

Yeah, what I was pointing out was that no matter HOW bad the officiating might have been, we gave them 3 easy TD's. I only put that score in to show how CLOSE we COULD have been to MAYBE win it anyways if it didn't happen. I just felt all that night that whenever they drew a flag... you knew it was against us (not that any officiating was bad)... and NONE for the Cowboys who could do no wrong... uh, yeah sure.

Despite our blitzing all day and their QB constantly being under pressure, not a single offensive holding call against the Bears.  This despite the fact I witnessed our rushers literally in choke-holds from behind on numerous occasions.  And then to see us called repetitively in crucial situations where the holding was between non-existent to very minor was a bit maddening.  This happens weekly and with regularity.

Both of the Bears long scoring runs were sprung by blatant blocks in the back.  On the punt return there were 3.  No call.

And the roughing the passer on 3rd down against Orackpo?  If someone didn't get paid off for that they should have because there was nothing even close to roughing the passer on that play.

As far as the "give-back" on the off-sides on the on-sides kick?  Well, he was clearly offsides so not much of a gift.  Rule says on that kind of kick no part of your body can be ahead of the ball, his clearly was.

I thought the Orakpo roughing call was horrible, as was the holding. I have to believe that certain teams come up in "refs meetings," and they probably have the Redskins pegged as a team that holds. It's also interesting that the Skins complain a lot about the other team holding, but the refs nab the Skins.

It's not as we're trying to say He wanted to hurt him on purpose. I can understand when players are moving full speed at how a point of attack was probably miss judged. The result remains the same a blown call IS a blown call...However to say the hit looks worse because He hasn't braced for Impact Is completely laughable! Perhaps Sean Lee would have been fine If he had..."Braced For Impact".

Two completely different situations. Golden Taint blocked UPWARDS, into Lee's head.

In this game, the Cowboys player blocked forward. Huge difference.

Despite our blitzing all day and their QB constantly being under pressure, not a single offensive holding call against the Bears.  This despite the fact I witnessed our rushers literally in choke-holds from behind on numerous occasions.  And then to see us called repetitively in crucial situations where the holding was between non-existent to very minor was a bit maddening.  This happens weekly and with regularity.

Both of the Bears long scoring runs were sprung by blatant blocks in the back.  On the punt return there were 3.  No call.

And the roughing the passer on 3rd down against Orackpo?  If someone didn't get paid off for that they should have because there was nothing even close to roughing the passer on that play.

As far as the "give-back" on the off-sides on the on-sides kick?  Well, he was clearly offsides so not much of a gift.  Rule says on that kind of kick no part of your body can be ahead of the ball, his clearly was.

give it up, They are not calling holding anymore.

Seriously,,  holds have dropped off the earth, and unless it's really egregious, the hanky isn't coming out.

They don't want defense making plays on the quarterback.

You see more defensive holding calls these days, and that's a fact. 

Offense offense offense..    that is what they think we want to see, and they are enabling it to run more than ever.

There is no point yelling "HOLDING!!" as we see Orakpo's shirt being yanked over his face from behind.

You may as well yell for Icing, or back-court for all they care. They just don't call it anymore.

~Bang

Booth review yesterday really pissed me off.  What were the refs looking at for so long after the Jordan Reed TD catch in the corner of the end zone?  It was clearly a TD.  And I feel like the refs spent 10 minutes reviewing it, looking for the most minute reason for it to be overturned.  That's the part about automatic TD reviews I don't like.  As long as it took the refs to review it I just knew they were going to say he juggled the ball or something as he tucked it away.

I also didn't know why that review took so long,, but they got it right.

It's amazing to me how much better NCAA crews are at getting calls right. their replay system is fantastic, and the best thing about it,,  it shows how often their refs get it right on the field the first time. They are terrific.

On third thought i really liked this ref crew. Clete Blakeman..   very good job of letting the game be played.

(This is a sliding scale, so don't yell because they missed this or called that.. compared to other crews who disrupt the game and make themselves part of the outcome, these guys did a great job. especially given they were a man down.)

There were so many plays that would have likely drawn a flag from a Hoculi crew or those flag-happy idiots last week in Dallas, that these guys let go. They let them play. Minor hand checking did not draw arbitrary PI calls. Close defense did not draw ticky tack calls..

Even RG3 didn't get any awards for his superior acting job.. on a run he got touched as he was heading out of bounds, and he flopped as if he got hit late, and on replay it showed that the refs got it exactly right, even though RG did do an exemplary job of trying to work that call...  he'd have gotten it from other crews.

~Bang

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like a good time to bump this thread for posterity.  Im convinced the league office has directed the officials to call games against us whenever we gain momentum in a game.

Or perhaps this time it was in favor for Peterson. AP is a big money maker for them, and the league can't have a golden goose rotting on a 1 win team for too long. What a perfect way to shine the light on him on a nationally televised game.

I don't know about all that conspiracy, but that was one of the worst officiated games I've ever seen.

Archived