Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Officiating

RichmondRedskin88

The officiating went both ways, just like it always does.  Nothing can be blamed on anyone except us.  We didn't play well enough to win, and it appeared the game plan on both sides of the ball fell very short.

I'm not a player, and I'm not a coach, and all of them are better at what they do than I would be in their positions, but they fall well short of where they need to be to be champions. :huh:

I thought both teams had some calls go their way, we simply committed more penalties.

I can't believe that a stupid penalty (was it illegal motion?) on a punt ended up costing us a touchdown. Oh, and another penalty.

The special teams were just awful.

I thought the same thing on that play. 

I did too... but however I then look to Orakpo after the play and he didn't complain not once.  Im leading more to if it was a hold is wasnt blatant as some holds Ive seen that didn't get called.  Trust me, when Orakpo gets HELD and there is no call, the guy blows a gasket.

Blaming the refs is a loser mentality. We had the ball with a first down on the Dallas 30 with a chance to take the lead late in the 3rd quarter and blew it. End of story.

So sick of hearing about Orakpo's missed holding calls every loss . If all he can do is get held without any counter at all and be overly dramatic throwing his arms up in the air then he needs to pack his bags.

I don't think anyone is blaming the refs, however, league wide the officiating is disgustingly awful.

Last night saw 30 yards in penalties called on BENCHES, and threw flags on seemingly every other play.

It's ridiculous.

The NFL thinks we want to come watch offense, so they insert a ton of rules designed to make it go go go ..    

and what is happenng is we're seeing more and more and more referees.

Last night you couldn't pay those clowns to call a hold,,..

Another crew would have called them all over the field.

Last night this crew called ridiculous ticky-tack calls,, other crews call differently.

the entire rulebook is so far out of whack that teams have absolutely no guarantee of anything resembling continuity between officiating crews. 

And that is a big problem.

The Blocked into the punt rule being called there is outrageous,,  our man was out of bounds and has the right to re-establish himself in the field of play.

He didn't throw his man into the ball, the ball came down a half-foot behind the other guy's ass..  and while our guy DID shove him, he shoved him to get back on the field.

the rulebook is out of control, and refs have waaaaayyy  too many judgment calls to make. 

Football is essentially a simple game, and their attempts to make a rule for every contingency has increased an already difficult job tenfold.

And the refs simply can't handle it.

It's not a new problem.

~Bang

The officiating was questionable at best. I don't know that you can say it flat out lost the game for the Redskins, but that punt/fumble call would have had the Redskins in the red zone. There was a missed block in the back on that punt return for a TD for Dallas, AND the whole unsportsmanlike on the coach was completely ridiculous. From what they said on the radio during the game, Shanahan was really laying into them about that during the timeout (after the punt thing). So that really makes me wonder if the officials weren't already ticked at the Redskins' sideline and that gave them a reason to throw a flag. But if you look at the replay it's not as if the guy bowled the ref over or anything. Granted one of their coaches got an unsportsmanlike later in the game, but one way or the other the refs were out of control last night.

The RGIII penalities were a bit questionable, but the Redskins were getting tackled to the ground on defense. Yet every time we turned around it was holding on the Redskins' offensive line. Ultimately settling for FG's early in the game were probably what really did them in, but I have serious questions about some of the calls. As for the punt thing, a player engaging with another player doesn't constitute being blocked into the play. Perhaps the rule is poorly written and it gives the refs too much leeway, but the fact is that the original call was a fumble. Then they huddled up and changed it. Strange.

Blaming the refs is a loser mentality. We had the ball with a first down on the Dallas 30 with a chance to take the lead late in the 3rd quarter and blew it. End of story.

So sick of hearing about Orakpo's missed holding calls every loss . If all he can do is get held without any counter at all and be overly dramatic throwing his arms up in the air then he needs to pack his bags.

Did you seriously not even read his first sentence?

I'm not 100% but it also looked like there was a block in the back on Rocca on that kickoff touchdown run as well.  

From the angle that I seen it sure looked like there was that's what I originally thought the flag was for. Also the  blocked into the ball call was a very bad judgment call.  The call on Coach Burns was the correct call after going back and looking at the tape he was over the white line made contact with the ref and then made contact with the refs arm he is luck that he did not get ejected from the game

i am blaming the loss on the Refs and ST (although there were missed calls on all of the big run backs).  I thought Moss was interfered or at least contacted with (after 5 yards) on the last pass interception. Not to mention the ususal miss holds. All of the calls re hitting RG3 were fine since he was in the white everytime. 

The Redskins didn't play bad. 

I watched the replay of it.  Moss went down on his own.  No PI should of been called.  

Did you seriously not even read his first sentence?

I wasn't referring to the OP which is why I didn't quote him. That was my second response in the thread anyway. In my first, I said the officiating is bad both ways. I just get tired of every time we lose a thread pops up about the officiating and somebody above saying the fix was in etc. 

That's ridiculous and the mindset that I was referring to. 

...league wide the officiating is disgustingly awful.

Last night saw 30 yards in penalties called on BENCHES, and threw flags on seemingly every other play.

It's ridiculous.

The NFL thinks we want to come watch offense, so they insert a ton of rules designed to make it go go go ..    

and what is happenng is we're seeing more and more and more referees.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. 

the entire rulebook is so far out of whack that teams have absolutely no guarantee of anything resembling continuity between officiating crews. 

And that is a big problem.

The Blocked into the punt rule being called there is outrageous,,  our man was out of bounds and has the right to re-establish himself in the field of play.

He didn't throw his man into the ball, the ball came down a half-foot behind the other guy's ass..  and while our guy DID shove him, he shoved him to get back on the field.

the rulebook is out of control, and refs have waaaaayyy  too many judgment calls to make. 

Football is essentially a simple game, and their attempts to make a rule for every contingency has increased an already difficult job tenfold.

And the refs simply can't handle it.

It's not a new problem.

~Bang

That rule is fine for what it's intended for.  A guy standing near the ball and watching it roll to a halt before it gets downed can't get dragged or wrestled into the ball.  But that play yesterday is not what it's intended for. 

*edit* nevermind.  just read your post more closely.  Agree with you (obviously) our guy has the right to get back in there

Guess I'm all alone re Amerson (looks for old "kicking stone" smiley)

You want BAD officiating watch a Mountain West Conference college football game.

The call in our favor when RG was going out of bounds was sorta bogus. But it was a hit to the head and with the big settlement from the NFL for concussions, eh, it's going to get called. The ball hitting the D*ll*s player was just plain wrong in my opinion. He was engaged but I've seen that a turnover a hundred times. In fact I don't think I've ever seen it given back to the receiving team like that.But 0-3 in the redzone was the loss. Even more than the ST play.

I have not seen anyone place the blame for this loss on the Refs.  Officiating is always bad.  When you win you tend to overlook it....just like you overlook many bad things.  Bottom line is I think the fumble call on the punt was wrong.  I also can say that in all my years watching and playing football I have never seen a call for a coach interferring with an official on a sideline.  And you can go to any football game at any level and you will see coaches not only on the chalk...but many times on the field.  Now that penalty essentially cost us nothing.  But it is something to see 2 very unusual calls go against your team in one game.

.  I also can say that in all my years watching and playing football I have never seen a call for a coach interferring with an official on a sideline.  And you can go to any football game at any level and you will see coaches not only on the chalk...but many times on the field. 

The coaches usually get out of the way of the refs, so it's not called.  But it does happen:  In 2004, the Eagles' securitiy chief collided with a ref while watching a KO and got flagged for 15 yards, and in 2008 Torry Holt got flagged for it for not getting out of the way of a side judge during a punt return.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/dneagles/Holt_Incu.html

The coaches usually get out of the way of the refs, so it's not called.  But it does happen:  In 2004, the Eagles' securitiy chief collided with a ref while watching a KO and got flagged for 15 yards, and in 2008 Torry Holt got flagged for it for not getting out of the way of a side judge during a punt return.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/dneagles/Holt_Incu.html

Neither one of those are a coach!

Okay...it has happened twice. 

It was bad enough on the one play in the 3rd or 4th when the game was still close, Orakpo was taken to the ground with no call. Dallas got a first down on that play. I turned to my wife and said, "the fix is in. We can't win this game." I NEVER have said that before about officiating in any NFL game. We must have gotten called for 4 holds vs Dallas with none, and they had Rak from the first possession.

Glad I wasn't the only one that saw this.  I flipped out when I realized no flag was thrown on the play. He quickly beat the RT around the edge, then had his jersey grabbed and was tackled (from behind).  I couldn't believe it.

Officiating was terrible ...

The fumble on the punt was horrible.

So were the penalties on Barry Church for "roughing" RGIII out of bounds.

Went both ways. They were terrible.

The one where he was running down the sideline was questionable, but the first one I thought was pretty fair. The fact is that 90% of the roughing-the-passer calls I see nowadays are questionable at best. I've even seen them where the guy's toeing the sideline and perhaps thinking of going out of bounds and the defender makes the decision for him and gets flagged. 

The one where he was running down the sideline was questionable, but the first one I thought was pretty fair. The fact is that 90% of the roughing-the-passer calls I see nowadays are questionable at best. I've even seen them where the guy's toeing the sideline and perhaps thinking of going out of bounds and the defender makes the decision for him and gets flagged. 

Agreed.

Whats the defender to do in that situation?!? What happens if he fakes going out of bounds, then cuts back inside? Or even worse ... gets trucked like the guy who got trucked by Jay Cutler lol

The only egregious call was the muffed punt. The holding calls that were called and missed, and the roughing calls on the sideline, those are calls most of us don't like, but are seen every week. Those seemed to even out, but I'd prefer a well officiated game instead of bad calls going both ways.

As far as the muffed punt, it was a complete misapplication of the rules.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/12_Rule9_Scrimmage_Kick.pdf

BLOCKED INTO KICK

Article 4 There is no distinction between a player touching a ball or being touched by it, but a player is not

considered to have touched the ball if he is blocked into it by an opponent, provided he is in a passive

position and not blocking. A player who is engaged with and blocking his opponent when he contacts the

ball is deemed to have touched the ball.

I believe others have stated this. The rule is to keep guys from standing around from being thrown into the ball. Those two players engaged in a block and the ball hit him in the butt. The rule clearly states that a player engaged in a block is deemed to have touched the ball. Very bad call by the refs and a worse explanation by the ref saying that a player can't be blocked into the ball. That's not true either. He must be passive and not blocking for that to occur.  

Agreed.

Whats the defender to do in that situation?!? What happens if he fakes going out of bounds, then cuts back inside? Or even worse ... gets trucked like the guy who got trucked by Jay Cutler lol

If I'm a defender and the QB is dancing near the sideline like that I'm going in for the kill. I'm sure that the NFL would rather they just lightly push the guy out of bounds, but this is football. No way you should get penalized if the QB is still on the field of play. But we've all seen it. 

Archived