Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Officiating

RichmondRedskin88

Seems like a good time to bump this thread for posterity.  Im convinced the league office has directed the officials to call games against us whenever we gain momentum in a game.

Like last week when the Refs put the ball at the 1 yard line instead of the 1 inch line. First play was a rushing play for half a yard which would have ended the game. Or when the refs called the 15 yarder against SD setting up the game winning drive was not personal foul against SD.

Like last week when the Refs put the ball at the 1 yard line instead of the 1 inch line. First play was a rushing play for half a yard which would have ended the game. Or when the refs called the 15 yarder against SD setting up the game winning drive was not personal foul against SD.

I think we actually got off well in this game if you take your homer glasses off. Kevin Williams was held on literally every play. The Skins receivers were blocking downfield on almost every pass in the first half before the ball was thrown.

That was blatant interference on Reed on the goalline at the end. Even the announcers said it should have been called. We should have never been in that position, but the refs' non-calls all night hurt us, and if your defense is absolute garbage and allowing games to stay close, then poor officiating is going to take its toll.

I'm a hate the refs guy, but I think reffing was a small part of the loss.  Yes, I think we got absolutely screwed on the refs ball placement with them stealing first downs and giving the Vikes undeserved ones, but I don't remember a lot of terrible calls.

Edit: yeah, the lack of PI there really did hurt.

No, but the lack of flags did. 

Kerrigan was held on 2-3 straight plays at one point.

Exactly.  I don't think people are realizing how much of an impact officiating has on every aspect of the game.  It controls the flow (aka momentum) of the game.

I'm a hate the refs guy, but I think reffing was a small part of the loss.  Yes, I think we got absolutely screwed on the refs ball placement with them stealing first downs and giving the Vikes undeserved ones, but I don't remember a lot of terrible calls.

Edit: yeah, the lack of PI there really did hurt.

Roughing the passer call that extended the Vikes first drive.  Reed mugged in the end zone on game tying TD.  Block in the back right in front of the ref that let Ponder run for first down in 3rd qtr.  No call on obvious punt catch interference in first half.  Multiple bad spots, always in favor of Vikes.  I can come up with more if I thought hard about it.

No doubt there were missed calls that benefitted Minnesota and other calls that went against the Skins.

But anyone who thinks that this team doesn't have serious issues far beyond bad calls by officials clearly isn't paying attention...

Even if this game was officiated better, we probably still wouldn't have won it. We lost to a previously 1-7 team because we are a bad team, end of story.

No one is saying the officials were the reason we lost.  It is obvious we aren't a good team.  That being said, being a bad team AND having just about every call go against you, or having to deal with the non-calls, is something hard to overcome.

Robert drove the team down to the 5 yard line.  3 Passes in a row into the hands of guys didn't come down with them.  Reed was held, it wasn't even close, the mere fact that Reed tried to make a one arm catch should have made it obvious.

Garcon dropped a high pass, maybe he scores maybe he doesn't, but if he doesn't score, then he will fall down at about the half yard line.

The pass to Moss was thrown to the only place it could be, Moss does what he can, just a tough play to pull off to the SHORTEST WR ON THE TEAM.  But hey watch the replay, Moss was pushed in the back way before the ball gets there.

No call.

Game over.

The officials alone did not cause this game to be a loss.  'Skins did plenty on their own to blow this game.  

I think you may well be a troll, but you're forgetting about the fact that if they get the Woodhead fumble call correct it never gets to that point to begin with.  All you're doing either way is confirming that the refs suck ass.

Since this is the right thread, let me ask.  Remember the holding call on Paulson, on the 1st down 9 yard gain by RGIII?

Why was that holding?  THey showed a replay but the commentators were busy talking about something else so they didn't really discuss why it was holding.

From everything I saw, Paulson's hands were inside the shoulders, no jersey was being grabbed, it looked like a perfectly legal block.

What was the flag thrown for?

socrates, it goes back to what many of us have said repeatedly this year.  When the Skins finally DO get a big play, they get called for a hold. That in itself might be OK but our opponents apparently NEVER HOLD EVER.  It's the strangest thing.  Have our opponents been called for more than 6 offensive holds all year?  And WHEN were those called? Ours are almost always killers.

socrates, it goes back to what many of us have said repeatedly this year.  When the Skins finally DO get a big play, they get called for a hold. That in itself might be OK but our opponents apparently NEVER HOLD EVER.  It's the strangest thing.  Have our opponents been called for more than 6 offensive holds all year?  And WHEN were those called? Ours are almost always killers.

Here you are:

http://www.nflpenalties.com/team/washington-redskins?year=2013

Offensive Holding: Against Us: 13, Benefit Us: 11 (does not include tonights game)

Defensive Holding: Against Us: 2, Benefit Us: 1 (does not include tonights game)

The helmet to helmet on Baker...don't the helmets actually have to touch also for a helmet to helmet penalty?

There was also a bad pass interference on Jordan Reed at one point near the end zone.  No call.  Can't remember when it was exactly.

That penalty on Baker was laughable, his helmet hit Ponder dead in his chest, not even his chin or anywhere close. 

We got one of the worst phantom PI calls in recent memory in the SD game not to mention the UR on the Garcon catch where Gachkar didn't see him catch the ball, tackle him and we got an extra 15 yards on the game winning drive last week

Law of averages, before you talk about the refs, know that we've benefited from them as well. Just not in this game.

Archived