Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Officiating

RichmondRedskin88

Can you elaborate on why what you saw made you think it was legal (or where that replay is available)? 

Did he not go helmet to helmet?

Was it not a blindside shot to a defenseless player that would be a fine and flag for the same reason as this hit by Golden Tate on Sean Lee?  http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/0ap1000000063427/Golden-Tate-s-block-on-Sean-Lee

Shhhh. Quit with the common sense and statement of the obvious. Sean Lee getting hit was different. It is ridiculous for a Dallas fan to come in here and defend calls that have been reviewed. If the Amerson hit isn't the definition of what a blindside, helmet to helmet block is, then there should be no blindside, helmet to helmet hits called the rest of the year. Crown of helmet to ear hole. You can't defend that without being a blind homer.

Shhhh. Quit with the common sense and statement of the obvious. Sean Lee getting hit was different. It is ridiculous for a Dallas fan to come in here and defend calls that have been reviewed. If the Amerson hit isn't the definition of what a blindside, helmet to helmet block is, then there should be no blindside, helmet to helmet hits called the rest of the year. Crown of helmet to ear hole. You can't defend that without being a blind homer.

Found this video of the the hit. This was clearly the crown of the Cowpiez player's helmet to Amerson's earhole. Where was the Back Judge on this play? Horrible non-call. When do he previous week's NFL fines get published? I want to see if the Cowpiez player is on the list.

I don't know how to imbed the video in the thread.

http://nesn.com/2013/10/cameron-lawrence-blindsides-redskins-david-amerson-leaves-him-with-concussion-celebrates-video/

Fans of every team feel this exact same way and there's a simple explanation.  Fans watch every single play of only their team's game and have a natural predisposition to side in their best interest on questionable calls.  So much of an officials job is subjective and fault can easily be found while watching replays. Fans don't see all the questionable calls that happen in every other game and even when they do, they don't put them all together like they do for their own team.  There is no conspiracy against any team.  Think about how many people would have to be in on it.  You could never keep a lid on it and anyone involved would go to jail for a very long time when it came out.

I watch a lot of games in a lot of sports. Some of the things that happen in Redskins games is just bizzare. The guy above who said it has to do with Shanahan is interesting. I'm not blaming Shanahan per se, but I suppose it is possible that there's a bit of a double-standard given that he seems to try holding refs accountable moreso than do other coaches.

Found this video of the the hit. This was clearly the crown of the Cowpiez player's helmet to Amerson's earhole. Where was the Back Judge on this play? Horrible non-call. When do he previous week's NFL fines get published? I want to see if the Cowpiez player is on the list.

http://nesn.com/2013/10/cameron-lawrence-blindsides-redskins-david-amerson-leaves-him-with-concussion-celebrates-video/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/17/cameron-lawrence-fined-21000-for-block-on-david-amerson/

Fined.  Just like he should have been.

Though it doesn't seem quite fair that there's no scaling to the fines.  How are you going to fine a rookie free agent off the street his whole game check, and a superstar getting paid 10-20x as much gets the same fine?

The fact is that these things happen, but they're fluky things. Do we not seem to see more fluky things happening in Redskins games than in others? I feel that we do.

Sometimes I sit there and wonder what ridiculous record we'll set or what play will be a "first" in league history or for the team we're playing.

To go on what others have said.  With the exception of a few tinfoil hatters, most football fans don't blame refs for losses (unless you are a Packers fan watching them play the Seahawks), but to just say we sucked, it was the 100% on the team is not right because all calls factor into a game and you cannot dismiss them.

Sometimes I sit there and wonder what ridiculous record we'll set or what play will be a "first" in league history or for the team we're playing.

To go on what others have said.  With the exception of a few tinfoil hatters, most football fans don't blame refs for losses (unless you are a Packers fan watching them play the Seahawks), but to just say we sucked, it was the 100% on the team is not right because all calls factor into a game and you cannot dismiss them.

I do the same thing. 

Can you elaborate on why what you saw made you think it was legal (or where that replay is available)? 

Was it not a blindside shot to a defenseless player that would be a fine and flag for the same reason as this hit by Golden Tate on Sean Lee?  http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/0ap1000000063427/Golden-Tate-s-block-on-Sean-Lee

Tate wasn't flagged either. Dallas was- from SI "

There was a flag for a personal foul on the play, but it was Cowboys linebacker Bruce Carter who drew it, for a minor shove of Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson just as Wilson stepped out of bounds. It’s bizarre that Carter is penalized for something so minor while Tate isn’t penalized for a major collision, but a lot of the calls in the NFL this Sunday were bizarre.

Not only that, Kehl is clearly being blocked in the back as Harris starts running.

Not only that, Kehl is clearly being blocked in the back as Harris starts running.

2 Ravens players were clearly blocked in the back during the overtime return against Baltimore last year in OT. If a penalty is called then no Division Champs. You can go all day about missed calls. There are pretty much 2 or more holdings on every play some are called most are missed. It all balances out in the end.

When a team is playing poorly the first excuse is injuries. Well 22 of 22 starters are healthy. The second excuse is the officials. The third is the coaches. The fourth is the G manager. The fifth ironicaly is the players.

This team would be 3-2 if the refs were competent.  

Each game we have to play 2 opponents: the other team, and the refs.  It's B.S.

Welcome to the NFL. Every team would be 2-3 wins better each year, had it not been for the refs.

Tate wasn't flagged for that hit. He also taunted and talked smack about Sean Lee the next few days.

I didn't see Lawrence taunt Amerson nor act like he did anything other than his job.

Welcome to the NFL. Every team would be 2-3 wins better each year, had it not been for the refs.

Tate wasn't flagged for that hit. He also taunted and talked smack about Sean Lee the next few days.

I didn't see Lawrence taunt Amerson nor act like he did anything other than his job.

Tate was a class guy dancing aroundand pointing after the hit,

So I imagined the part where he looked at Amerson laid out and started celebrating as Harris ran down the field? Or are you going to try to say he was celebrating the run back? You know it was a blindside, helmet to helmet block because it drew the automatic $21k fine for being illegal]/i]. But keep trolling.

So I imagined the part where he looked at Amerson laid out and started celebrating as Harris ran down the field? Or are you going to try to say he was celebrating the run back? You know it was a blindside, helmet to helmet block because it drew the automatic $21k fine for being illegal]/i]. But keep trolling.

Merriweather hit on Lacy, $42,000 fine but no flag. Anyone who understands the NFL is a business understands why.

My apologies. I didn't see Lawrence jump up and down after the hit. Just watched Harris running.

My apologies. I didn't see Lawrence jump up and down after the hit. Just watched Harris running.

You deflected the post by Popeman38 to now imply because Lawrence didn't jump up & down he didn't celebrate his illegal hit & knockout of Amerson. He did. That's exactly what he did. He illegally (per NFL fine of $21k) hit Amerson, looked down at him & celebrated. Did he jump up & down? No. He celebrated the cheap shot that he'll be paying for the rest of the season.

I don't like complaining about officiating. That's not to say that I think refs call perfect games, but mistakes are just honest mistakes. This game goes fast and sometimes it's much easier to re-watch a play 10 times on Monday morning and see what should (not) have been called.

There is NO conspiracy against the Redskins. The Redskins do NOT always end up on the wrong side of questionable calls.

I don't think there is any conspiracy either. In fact I don't think more calls go against us then other teams.  

What I do think happens though is once in awhile the calls that do against us seem to be momentum shifting type calls. Not just us, the entire NFL.   The league needs to do a better job to facilitate a system so when this kind of stuff happens the officials can have ample time and even a replay booth to make sure the call is correct.

The punt turnover call then non-call was a huge incorrect call that might totally swing the game, or at least have the 'Skins competing in a close game for deeper into the game.   Also the circumstances of the call just flat out are head scratching.  The two officials that witness the ball hit the Dallas player, call it Redskins' ball, then a third official runs in and makes his declaration and every other official seems to just lay down their own opinion and go with his.   I just don't get how that happens.  Has nothing to do with conspiracy against the 'Skins as much as it has to do with the infrastructure and system for when Officials have a disagreement seems to be pretty poor. 

I think replay and explanations should be a bigger part of the game.  The official who claimed the Dallas player was "passive" was obviously quoting a technicality of a rule that did not apply.  What I don't get is that the two officials who called the ball for the Redskins were clearly in good spots to see the entire situation play out, so why did they also not immediately say the same thing?  When the third (or 4th) official ran in to say the player was "passive" there should have been some kind of pow-wow, or even have the officials just admit they need another look on replay.  I truly think sometimes the officials get caught up where things happen so fast they try to interpret "part c of rule 21a" on the fly that sometimes they get it wrong, not out of bias, just out of human error.   

Maybe there was some helmet contact from the blocker, but it wasn't used as a weapon (spear). He didn't drive with his helmet. Watch his arms and you'll see that he PUSHED into the guy a bit. The Redskins player was turning to run upfield, and his momentum made him susceptible to a more serious hit than if he had had a chance to take a step or two THEN get hit. You can't ask a blocker to wait for him to take two more steps THEN throw a block. Apologies for not using player names. I don't know either by name enough. 

Tate drove into Lee with a clear PLANT OF HIS FEET AND A DRIVE UPWARDS. Who in the hell blocks UPWARDS like Tate did? He took SEVERAL calculated steps to position himself to drive into Lee with malicious intent. This is why I wish SEVERE INJURY to Tate on the field. It doesn't have to be by Lee or any other Cowboy. I just want him to get his just desserts, for not only the hit (again, which he had CLEARLY MALICIOUS INTENT), but for the punk ass celebration afterwards. Not only that, but he was bragging about it several months later, referring to the SEAN LEE treatment. I don't want him to be knocked out. I want him to be hurt badly, and aware that he's in a lot of pain, laying on the field, waiting for trainers to assist him. 

Hate me all you want for wishing injury to Tate. I don't care. Means nothing to me. As far as I'm concerned, when your intent to injure another player is apparent, you deserve whatever karma that comes to you. The Cowboys player on the Skins player did not have MALICIOUS INTENT. It was just an unfortunate hit. Again, I don't condone it. I don't like to see ANY PLAYER down like that. Given that Tate is who he is, maybe he should be laid out like that. If he is, for about 10 seconds, I'll like it. Then someone go and see if he's alright.

EDIT: As I re-watch Tate's gutless, chickencrap hit on Lee, I reinforce my desire to the 9th power to see him get BLAALLLLASSSSTTTEED (blasted) by anyone in an NFL jersey. I don't care if a Redskins player does it. The fact that he celebrated for several seconds and bragged about it months afterwards only further reinforces my stance.

Archived