Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Officiating

RichmondRedskin88

The one that sorta burns me up, that no one seems to be talking about was the hit on the punt return that injured Amerson.  They never showed a great replay, so maybe I'm wrong, but it sure looked like he got blindsided with a launching helmet to helmet hit (i.e., a personal foul 3 different ways).  Couldn't believe the announcers kept referring to it as a good block.  I thought it was dirty as hell, and that dude should get a big fine.

It was, without a doubt, a blindside helmet to helmet hit. The very hit the NFL is supposed to be emphasizing getting rid of. He hit Amerson in the ear hole with the front part of his helmet, in an upward motion. No doubt a flag should have been thrown by three officials. Of course, the official was also busy ignoring the hold and the block in the back as well.

Officiating was terrible ...

The fumble on the punt was horrible.

So were the penalties on Barry Church for "roughing" RGIII out of bounds.

Went both ways. They were terrible.

The NFL clarified, before the season, that a QB running towards the sideline and trying to get out of bounds were off limits to defenders. Even if contact is made before the QB steps out of bounds (i.e. in the air crossing the boundary), if the QB has made it clear he is going out of bounds a flag is to be thrown if the QB is hit. Church hit a QB going out of bounds twice. That speaks more to the intelligence of Barry Church than anything else. Those calls are not judgement calls. They were a point of emphasis during the offseason.

I think the officiating did control the game.  You take away the blocks in the back and without question one of the long returns is negated.  The "engaged" punt call was utter bs and different from every other call you or I or any other fan has seen in every game in NFL history.  Most telling is that it was a tale of two halves in terms of officiating.

I think it was so bad that Goodell gave them a call at halftime.  They called a different and somewhat better game in the second half.  The fact that you are questioning the two RGIII hits when he was well out of bounds with no chance unless RGIII can break the rules of physics to stay in play is telling.  You're raching for a false equivalency.

A very large piece of why this game was lost was because the refs turned a blind eye on some huge infractions.  17 points at least were gifted by the refs.  (At least 3 for us on the bad punt call, and 14 on the returns.)

That's the game folks despite the fact that our play was pretty bad.

Let's not forget the horrendous spot in their first drive that enabled the Cowboys to take the ball down the field and score a touchdown.  I have no idea why Mike didn't challenge that. It wasn't even close to the marker.

The punt off a cowboys *** was the stupidest thing I have ever seen, I have a headache from grinding my teeth in my sleep all night. 

both late hits on Griffin were the correct call... but the first one, man griffin should be smacked for high stepping at the end like an *******. 

holding was pretty obvious all night on the skins, but when I'm watching our offense I'm not looking at the line play as much as the QB and receivers/running backs. so maybe there was terrible holding all night that wasnt called. 

the worst were the two blocks in the back on both the punt and the kick returns... i thought it was plain as day and really at the point of a catch and start of a return are inexcusable calls to miss. 

that all said, you have to overcome those things. in a game where 3 plays made the whole difference, it's harder to pill to swallow for sure.

Also, in response to the "this happens after every loss crowd"... I don't think the refs have a fix in on our team, but man does it feel like they have money on the line in individual games sometimes. the Skins have lost 4 games this year, this was the only time I've seen (or at least commented in) a thread about officiating. 

The only thing worse than the refs was Collinsworth's mancrush on the cowpiles. He was sickening.

The only thing I find less appealing than the weekly "refs are out to get us" thread is the "everyone hates us" post.  Collinsworth gets paid to talk.  He pretty much gushed over Reed and Hall multiple times.  He gushed over Kai for hitting chip shots, even after his missed a shorty.  I'm not sure that there was a lot of other Skins who deserved to be praised.

The only thing I find less appealing than the weekly "refs are out to get us" thread is the "everyone hates us" post.  Collinsworth gets paid to talk.  He pretty much gushed over Reed and Hall multiple times.  He gushed over Kai for hitting chip shots, even after his missed a shorty.  I'm not sure that there was a lot of other Skins who deserved to be praised.

I think Kai's miss was a 49 yarder, not exactly a shorty.

You could tell from the beginning that the calls were going to go against us! It seemed like every time we got something positive going, you knew that a flag was getting ready to drop and sure enough, it did! Even the Dallas fans agreed saying well, you know they in Texas. Total BS on the refs part but our team didn't help themselves either. When you score enough points, the refs don't matter!
PS - it was no fun watching this damn game with a room full of cowboy fans

You could tell from the beginning that the calls were going to go against us! It seemed like every time we got something positive going, you knew that a flag was getting ready to drop and sure enough, it did! Even the Dallas fans agreed saying well, you know they in Texas. Total BS on the refs part but our team didn't help themselves either. When you score enough points, the refs don't matter!

PS - it was no fun watching this damn game with a room full of cowboy fans

Why in the world would you do that to yourself?!?! :blink:

And now the blindside helmet to helmet block on Amerson is getting some attention from the media. Amazing how EVERYONE missed it last night. Showed the replay and Michaels & Collinsworth glossed right over it in their excitement that a street FA had made a block to spring a PR TD.

And the media now noticing the Paul block in the back (actually a clip) on the PR TD. Amazing yet again how NO ONE NOTICED this in real time. It was painfully obvious to all Redskins fans. That play should have resulted in 1st and 1 for Dallas from their own 7 yd line. Pathetic.

The punt may have been the correct call. If "engaged" means physical contact with an opposing player, then we just have to suck it up.

I could see if a player was shoved into the tragectory of the ball, thats one thing; but, the player who blocked him into it has a so-called duty to get into the field of play ASAP. That was the case with the ref's inability to factor in all of the issues at hand.

The player has a right and duty to get onto the field of play during kickoffs/punts; we see it all the time where a player is bumped out of bounds, runs 40 yds downfield and makes a tackle, then a flag is tossed because the tackler didn't attempt to get into the field of play in a reasonable distance/timeframe.

It does seem strange that a review cannot be called on a false start/offsides flag; it would be fairly easy for replay officials to pick it out, being the Skins did seem to be getting the tone-setter flags moreso than Dallas. Guess it doesn't help when Goodell is being pampered up in the suites, but payback is a ****...

And Mike Pereira chimes in and states the refs blew the punt butt-fumble call and the Redskins should have received the ball.

That and the block in the back missed on the return for TD was basically the difference in the game. That's ignoring some of the missed blatant holding calls that should have effectively ended some Cowboys drives.

There were at least 14 points (probably 21) that the Cowboys scored directly due to the refs' mistakes. So all things being equal that's 19-16 Dallas, but I think we all know the end of that game is managed differently by the Redskins if they're only down a FG. Not much can be done about it now; in fact I suspect that the Redskins are probably labeled as complainers on the part of the refs. I say this as a guy who sees it as his personal duty to keep officials and all authority figures in check, however that's another story. So when the Redskins hold, they tend to call it more often. Even that unsportsmanlike on the ST coach; how often is that called? 

Officiating can have a bad game and still not cost the game it happens every week, but it seemed like the officiating missed calls on GAME CHANGERS this week.

First off on the replay of the kickoff return that setup a cowboys TD, I believe it was Riley, was clearly tackled from behind to setup that initial running lane for the returner to bust through.  He was straight up pushed to the ground from behind.

The other huge missed call that could have majorly swung the game was not awarding the 'Skins the ball when the punt bounced off the Dallas player.  The "passive player" rule is there so that the kicking team can't drag a player just standing around and throw him into the ball. It's a valid rule and there for a reason, however that is not what happened on that play. It was two guys engaged with each other jockeying for position, neither of whom were even paying attention to where the ball landed, the Dallas player was trying to block the Redskins player to open a running lane, and he was simply over-powered by the Redskins player trying to seal off any possible running lane, and the ball bounced backwards and hit the Dallas player.  End of Story.    What pissed me off the most was that with the officials huddling, it's obvious that the official closest to the play was likely talked out of giving the Redskins the ball by someone who was probably not even around the play.  

Going forward anytime the officials need to huddle and discuss things I think they should either have the option or be downright required to go look at the play in the replay booth, because all too often you see the official closest to the ball being ram-rodded out of making the call by an official running in from opposite side of the field and it makes no sense.  If they are in that much disagreement maybe the best thing to do is for them to all watch the play together and make a decision.

And now the blindside helmet to helmet block on Amerson is getting some attention from the media. Amazing how EVERYONE missed it last night. Showed the replay and Michaels & Collinsworth glossed right over it in their excitement that a street FA had made a block to spring a PR TD.

National or local media?

McNally had written about how it was clean in his initial observations column.  Sent him a question about it then he hit me back to say he "Just saw a better angle from the opposite end zone.  Pretty clear helmet-to-helmet on Amerson."

But I haven't seen anything about it otherwise. 

Archived