Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fred Smoot Rips Into The Redskins Coaching, Rg3

Metaldrumz

To an extent, assuming he is correct about the relationship between MS and RG3, there aren't a lot of successful QBs that don't get along with their coach.  Especially when the QB has a unique skill set that the coach needs to cater to.  But who knows what their relationship is really like.

As far as Wilson and Luck being more composed - well they have decent OLs in front of them and both are more traditional QBs.  When people get stressed, they rely on what they do best, and what RG3 does best is run.  And right now he can't just outrun everyone.

Something will happen with a loss next week, but I think Haslett will be sacrificed.  It would be really hard to replace both Shanahans over the bye week.

for the Colts? thats untrue.

Explain something to me, what relationship???  The confusion of the injury?  Neither coach nor player has ever bad mouthed the other, EVER.  For all we know they could be best buddies.  Shanahan defends Griffin to the death and back, when he would literally throw every dig he could at Mcnabb.  Griffin also defends shanahan.  I dont get why people think there is some type of wedge between these two?

Everything isn't black and white. Nobodies gonna come out and rip the other to shreds. But you can tell that they don't have the best relationship.

Actually, me and others I've talked too have been saying it for months. I got a little suspicious when Shanahan left RGIII in the game against the Seahawks.

Have to disagree with you on this. Griffin had as much to do with him still being in the game than anyone, remember he came out after halftime sprinting up and down the sideline......then the final injury hit him.

I stopped shoveling hog **** for this? Im going back to the pig field, at least it still has some mangos on the trees. First Fred Smoots comments actually mean anything? Now some random posters gut feelings are being argued as fact. It's a long season yall, relax and step away from the edge. Cheese and bread!

Everything isn't black and white. Nobodies gonna come out and rip the other to shreds. But you can tell that they don't have the best relationship.

How?  Im not being a smart a** either.  Seriously, explain how?  I am totally lost where some people get this?  How can you "tell"?  Ive never seen anything but good between their relationship

How?  Im not being a smart a** either.  Seriously, explain how?  I am totally lost where some people get this?  How can you "tell"?  Ive never seen anything but good between their relationship

No problem. You want something more concrete. Weren't there a meeting between RGIII and Shanahan to get on the same page?

You can't take a guy's opinion seriously when he calls a well respected coach a Red Lobster. I think he violated trademark rights when he said it. Would he call Gibbs a name? Smoot is a clown.

And DM72, I've said this in two other threads in regards to the Shanahan didn't want Griffin rumor. Shanahan is the one shopping for the groceries. How in the hell would he let a couple of others "convince" him to trade for Griffin if he wanted Tannehill? Did anyone remember that "Cheshire" grin Mike had on his face for a month after the draft? No way Snyder or Brucd would have been able to sway him when Shanny demanded 5 years and complete control over personnel. False rumor by Skip Baseless.

I love to see the over reactions that stem from interviews and our woes on the field, this media circus has to stop at some point. The entire NFL/fanbase/media reports/our fans, hinge on every word spoken with or without proof of what is being spoken. I almost wish we didn't draft RG just because I am so sick of hearing some new crap on ESPN radio on my drive to work, reading a article posted on here while I'm at work, go home and turn on NFL network and there is some other blow up about RG3. It is getting so old..... The media was in love with him last year until his knee injury and now they are loving to hate him every chance they get....

My avatar says it all

I read the Smoot comments.....but personally do not look for thoughtful insight on things Redskin from this former average player, who is most remembered for a "Love Boat/XXX version" cruise than for his play on the field. 

Nor do I think that Shanahan did not want RGIII.....but at this point, it really does not matter anyhow.  Unless we lay an egg for the rest of the season, and even then other coaches will go prior to Mike, Shanny will be here for a while.  And, no, I am not a Shanny homer. 

What are you basing your assertion that they don't have the best relationship on?

Is it based on the instances when they are laughing and joking on the sidlines?

Is it when coach is defending RG in the media?

Is it when RG states that there are no issues between him and the coach?

Was it when coach stated that he thought RG had the skill set and the intangibles to be one of the best QB's ever?

Weird how this has become a "prove that Shanahan didn't wan't to draft RG3" thread.

As for Smoots comments, I think, like much in life, there's a ring of truth to it but it's not entirely on point. Has RG3 been "bratty?" That's a matter of opinion. Personally (living out of market), I've enjoyed the over exposing media coverage he's had; in that coverage you can tell that's he serious and convicted about everything he does. He puts it on his shoulders, but you can tell he enjoys the focus being on him. What I think is different than last year is how he constantly praised those around him (AlMo for rookie of the year, praising his O line, etc.), but ever since he got injured it's been all about how he will be back for opening day.

That doesn't mean that he's the reason the team is performing poorly, but as he's been the center of attention it's exactly what's been sowed. 

Fred Smoot is ignorant and doesn't know what he's talking about and likes to run his mouth.  Who knew?

The sharks really are circling around this 0-3 start.  I would hope Dan Snyder wouldn't be so utterly stupid to do something like fire his HC immediately after we finally find a once in a blue moon QB.

Why does one have to be connected to the other? Not every QB wins a Superbowl with his first head coach the only consideration should be is he still the right man for the job and if we have a bad season it's not an unreasonable question to ask.

Coach Mike didn't want RGIII huh?

Well that's a theory I guess. One of the most out there, ridiculous, bat **** crazy theories I've heard.

Yup. Mike S. Has COMPLETE control over personnel. It's GUARANTEED IN HIS CONTRACT! No way he's trading away the farm for a guy he's lukewarm about. Dumbest revisionist history ever. Anybody remember when the Colts made noises about maybe picking RG3 first so they could bluff Shanny into trading up an extra pick. Do people realize Elway and Shanny had occasional public spats? People wonder why guys like Belichik and Shanny never say anything to the press...well if fans can invent b.s. like this based on nothing, just imagine what they and the press could fabricate with the mildest tidbit...

It's apparent how bad this fan base has been beaten into submission. For 20 years it was a joke outside a couple lone playoff appearances.  Then last year it seemed to all change until an injury happened.  Now because of an 0-3 start everyone is back to being frantic and over the top.

An 0-3 start to a season by a team with an awful defense (historically bad, mind you) and a QB coming back from reconstructive knee surgery in which both his knees were operated on, is ALL IT TOOK for half of you to go right back into "If we don't win it all right now, blow everything up, blow it all up aaaaaaaaaaaah" mode.

Seriously, a lot of people say this team doesn't know how to win? Yeah maybe, but this fanbase is so far removed from having a consistent winner, that no one has the ability to look big picture, or see past a month's worth of football. 

I would gladly sacrifice '13 if it means RG3 is "right" again to open up '14. In fact I am sure it will take less time then that, maybe right after the bye week,  however to some 0-3 seems like the deathnail to not only this season, but the coaching staff(I'll concede D-coordinator could be changed), the starting QB and the team's long term chances of being good. I'm really anxious to see when RGIII gets back to form and half of you are going to whine that it took to long and he should be benched or traded still.

REALLY?

I cut way back on my post-game posts following the Lions loss because I figure threads like this would pop up, anchored by comments from Fred Smoot of all people who has nothing constructive to say about the situation and just wants to lob verbal grenades to generate a story. I figured by today this type of nonsense would have died down, but I guess not.

It's apparent how bad this fan base has been beaten into submission. For 20 years it was a joke outside a couple lone playoff appearances.  Then last year it seemed to all change until an injury happened.  Now because of an 0-3 start everyone is back to being frantic and over the top.

An 0-3 start to a season by a team with an awful defense (historically bad, mind you) and a QB coming back from reconstructive knee surgery in which both his knees were operated on, is ALL IT TOOK for half of you to go right back into "If we don't win it all right now, blow everything up, blow it all up aaaaaaaaaaaah" mode.

Seriously, a lot of people say this team doesn't know how to win? Yeah maybe, but this fanbase is so far removed from having a consistent winner, that no one has the ability to look big picture, or see past a month's worth of football. 

I would gladly sacrifice '13 if it means RG3 is "right" again to open up '14. In fact I am sure it will take less time then that, maybe right after the bye week,  however to some 0-3 seems like the deathnail to not only this season, but the coaching staff(I'll concede D-coordinator could be changed), the starting QB and the team's long term chances of being good. I'm really anxious to see when RGIII gets back to form and half of you are going to whine that it took to long and he should be benched or traded still.

REALLY?

I cut way back on my post-game posts following the Lions loss because I figure threads like this would pop up, anchored by comments from Fred Smoot of all people who has nothing constructive to say about the situation and just wants to lob verbal grenades to generate a story. I figured by today this type of nonsense would have died down, but I guess not.

Mind you, Shanahan is the one who said it was SB or bust.

No there is no proof behind this whatsoever...Skip Bayless dropped that wisdom in a driveby article where we cited unnamed sources whom he trusted and had access to the information. Nevermind the fact that no other reporter with more access to the team, Mike, RG, or Allen has yet to confirm this or report anything approaching this. It's baseless.

There are a couple of other options besides it being baseless.

One would be that Shanahan was on the fence about the cost to get Griffin. I don't think anyone with anything to do with NFL personnel would want Tannehill over Griffin, but when you throw in two additional first round picks and a second round pick, it becomes a bit harder to quantify. I could see Bayless twisting something like that into saying that Shanahan didn't want Griffin to fit some conspiracy narrative Skippy concocted.

Another alternative is that someone with an axe to grind fed the information to Bayless knowing that he would run with it. It's not like that hasn't happened before.

Anyway, I highly doubt that Shanahan didn't want to draft Griffin. On the other hand, the 7 game win streak might be one of the worst things that could happen to a team with shaky personnel in key spots, a huge cap penalty, and the sacrifice of 3 high draft picks for the chance to grab a franchise QB. Expectations are way out of whack now, and it's going to take more than just improvement from Griffin to turn things around. Unfortunately, the door is open for unfounded criticism of the QB any time a team loses.

Mind you, Shanahan is the one who said it was SB or bust.

That quote was taken out of context.

He was speaking to a bunch of former Redskins players and he stated that the SB is the the standards set by those players

There are a couple of other options besides it being baseless.

One would be that Shanahan was on the fence about the cost to get Griffin. I don't think anyone with anything to do with NFL personnel would want Tannehill over Griffin, but when you throw in two additional first round picks and a second round pick, it becomes a bit harder to quantify. I could see Bayless twisting something like that into saying that Shanahan didn't want Griffin to fit some conspiracy narrative Skippy concocted.

Another alternative is that someone with an axe to grind fed the information to Bayless knowing that he would run with it. It's not like that hasn't happened before.

Anyway, I highly doubt that Shanahan didn't want to draft Griffin. On the other hand, the 7 game win streak might be one of the worst things that could happen to a team with shaky personnel in key spots, a huge cap penalty, and the sacrifice of 3 high draft picks for the chance to grab a franchise QB. Expectations are way out of whack now, and it's going to take more than just improvement from Griffin to turn things around. Unfortunately, the door is open for unfounded criticism of the QB any time a team loses.

Both of the examples support the assertion that Bayless' opinion/assertion is baseless

Archived