Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fred Smoot Rips Into The Redskins Coaching, Rg3

Metaldrumz

The term diva is being thrown around pretty liberallly...

RG has every right to market himself and maximize his opportunity - this does not make him a diva.

RG articulated his desire to get back on the football field and compete - this does not make him a diva.

I fail to see how anything RG has done so far has made him a diva.

You obviously don't get it. You think Redskins fans want it to be this way? No. He has received the "Diva' label because as I've stated before there isn't a microphone he doesn't like. He talks too much. Period. Fans don't like that. Period. You fail to see that. Period.

You're right. he has the right to market himself, but he needs to do it at the appropriate time. Instead of being "All in for week one" he should've stayed in the background and showed the world "week one" but he took the look at me approach instead.

Another look at me example would be the whole "Operation Patience" and the shirt to announce it.

No but he has every right to market himself ass he sees fit. Those productions have had no effect on the performance of the team thus far.

We have played like crap. RG's special and Addidias marketuing campaign are not at fault there. RG's performance and the performance of the team as a whole are at fault.

Commercials, marketing capmaigns, documentaries are not responsible for poor mechanics, over thrown receivers, missed tackles, no adjustements made on defense etc.

The DC and east coast TV market is much larger than the Seattle and Indy TV market.

Compounding that we have one of the most exciting and engaging players in the NFL on our team.

Compounding that we have a storyline of RG's recovery being ran into the ground in the same manner that the Tebow storyline kept ESPN running for months and months.

There were/are no storylines to pursue with Wilson and Luck and their TV markets are nowhere near as large and influential as ours is. That's why we didn't hear anything about them.

The first QTR in the Eagles game was an exploding pressure cooker and it was a result of the ridiculous and unwarranted build up. He's not campaigning for votes on American Idol, he's trying to win football games in the NFL. He drew too much attention to himself when in reality he's still a supremely gifted second your QB with very little pro-offense experience and a lot to learn. The attention and resulting media circus he brought on the team with that TV special and constant yammering in press conferences (as opposed to saying look, I'll play when I'm cleared and when the man that runs this team tells me to play) about what he does and doesn't agree with. Whether he intended to or not is irrelevant, but the fact is that this entire off-season the message given out was RG3>>>>Washington Redskins and that can NEVER happen again, period end of story.

What sucks about all of this coverage and controversy is that it's week 4 and I'm burning out. I am somewhat excited for the week 5 bye!! I've followed some very slow-starting Redskin teams (1993-1994, 1998, 2001, 2009) but this is the first time I can remember being annoyed when I hear about the team, coach, or quarterback in September.

I love watching the games and love discussing the outcomes for days. But all of the pissing contests and disputes along with the coverage that surrounds them just make a lot of it unenjoyable. I might try just watching on Sundays (if I can do it).

The term diva is being thrown around pretty liberallly...

RG has every right to market himself and maximize his opportunity - this does not make him a diva.

RG articulated his desire to get back on the football field and compete - this does not make him a diva.

I fail to see how anything RG has done so far has made him a diva.

RG3 is being payed to win football games first and foremost. This is the NFL not a campaign for votes on American Idol. When maximizing his opportunity overshadows the team he's a part of he needs to tone it down.

This is some kind of news flash? Seeing as he's a pro football player I would hope he has a desire to get back on the football field just like any other pro football player. Why was there a need to make so much noise about it?

You obviously don't get it. You think Redskins fans want it to be this way? No. He has received the "Diva' label because as I've stated before there isn't a microphone he doesn't like. He talks too much. Period. Fans don't like that. Period. You fail to see that. Period.

You're right. he has the right to market himself, but he needs to do it at the appropriate time. Instead of being "All in for week one" he should've stayed in the background and showed the world "week one" but he took the look at me approach instead.

He engages the press when he is at a press conference and is being interviewed. That isn't a slight on RG.

He is marketing himself during the off season - when he should - and has articulated that he knows that there is a time and a place for everything.

Another look at me example would be the whole "Operation Patience" and the shirt to announce it.

You hit the nail on the head. 

Everything he has done since that Seattle game has been nothing but self-serving.  Can't tell me that he doesn't enjoy the cameras, attention, etc. 

This is exactly why I'm kind of happy that he's struggled a tad bit so far.  He was king of the world not too long ago and I would hope that he's been humbled a tad.  At least learn something from why people are having such a negative reaction to the way he's gone about business. 

*edit*

I also feel like he's become bigger than the team. 

Fred Smoot. I never in a million years would have guessed Fred Smoot, if you asked what former Redskin player would have a thread on ES today. Fred Smoot! His opinion carried no weight when he actually played for us, but now? Hell no. Give me a break.

Please team, beat the Raiders mightily, so we don't see two weeks of threads about wrs who might never have a career being traded for, comments about Shanny never wanting RG3 and above all, people acting like the opinion of Fred ****ing Smoot means a single thing. Please Redskins? Do it for everyone.

He engages the press when he is at a press conference and is being interviewed. That isn't a slight on RG.

He is marketing himself during the off season - when he should - and has articulated that he knows that there is a time and a place for everything.

There's a difference between doing endorsements which he could do dozens of and not cause any problems, and going overboard with basking in the attention. There's also such a thing as being media savvy and it would really benefit him to learn that.

You hit the nail on the head. 

Everything he has done since that Seattle game has been nothing but self-serving.  Can't tell me that he doesn't enjoy the cameras, attention, etc. 

This is exactly why I'm kind of happy that he's struggled a tad bit so far.  He was king of the world not too long ago and I would hope that he's been humbled a tad.  At least learn something from why people are having such a negative reaction to the way he's gone about business. 

*edit*

I also feel like he's become bigger than the team. 

Right, like working his ass off to get back on the field. Risking his future for this team and doing everything in his power to help us get a win. Get over it pal. 

Football players have a short life span. I dont hate on him at all for wanting to make as much money as possible while he can. Sure you didn't have a problem with him being the highest selling jersey last year right? And why was that????? Because we were winning. 

Right, like working his ass off to get back on the field. Risking his future for this team and doing everything in his power to help us get a win. Get over it pal. 

Football players have a short life span. I dont hate on him at all for wanting to make as much money as possible while he can. Sure you didn't have a problem with him being the highest selling jersey last year right? And why was that????? Because we were winning. 

Where did I say that?  You are putting words in my mouth, pal. 

Exhibit A of a "Captain Save-a-Griffin"...you take something COMPLETELY out of context for the purpose of getting a point across that has nothing to do w/ what was said. 

The first QTR in the Eagles game was an exploding pressure cooker and it was a result of the ridiculous and unwarranted build up. He's not campaigning for votes on American Idol, he's trying to win football games in the NFL. He drew too much attention to himself when in reality he's still a supremely gifted second your QB with very little pro-offense experience and a lot to learn. The attention and resulting media circus he brought on the team with that TV special and constant yammering in press conferences (as opposed to saying look, I'll play when I'm cleared and when the man that runs this team tells me to play) about what he does and doesn't agree with. Whether he intended to or not is irrelevant, but the fact is that this entire off-season the message given out was RG3>>>>Washington Redskins and that can NEVER happen again, period end of story.

Oh good...back to this debate again...I woiuld argue that the fact that we were playing a team using a new offensive scheme/philosophy and for a new coach had more to do with the performace of the team instead of an hour TV special...you know...things that actually affected the team while on the field. I will reiterate here - that documentary, commericals, media hype were not responsible for a botched pitch resulting in a safety, poor decisions resulting in turnovers, missed tackles on defense, an an inept offense in general.

RG3 is being payed to win football games first and foremost. This is the NFL not a campaign for votes on American Idol. When maximizing his opportunity overshadows the team he's a part of he needs to tone it down.

This is some kind of news flash? Seeing as he's a pro football player I would hope he has a desire to get back on the football field just like any other pro football player. Why was there a need to make so much noise about it?

Tone it down? He has every right to do with his marketability as he can. If someone will pay for it - get after it RG. Good for you.

Why is there so much noise about it? He was asked a question by the media...and he answered.

Ha ha. You are another one that doesn't get it. Nobody is disputing whether or not he should make straight cash homie. It's in the manner and approach he has taken. If it wasn't an issue fans wouldn't be talking about it and it wouldn't be all over the airwaves. Like I said. You just don't get it.

There's a difference between doing endorsements which he could do dozens of and not cause any problems, and going overboard with basking in the attention. There's also such a thing as being media savvy and it would really benefit him to learn that.

Again...fail to see how this affected the team in any capacity.

That's his job.

Also nobody has a problem with him doing endorsements but the ESPN Special, the all in for week one campaign and that ridiculous tshirt were attention grabs. How do you not see this?

Ha ha. You are another one that doesn't get it. Nobody is disputing whether or not he should make straight cash homie. It's in the manner and approach he has taken. If it wasn't an issue fans wouldn't be talking about it and it wouldn't be all over the airwaves. Like I said. You just don't get it.

You are mixing up the narratives being spun by the media and what it is that RG actually did.

That's his job.

Also nobody has a problem with him doing endorsements but the ESPN Special, the all in for week one campaign and that ridiculous tshirt were attention grabs. How do you not see this?

If someone will pay for it...he has every right to pursue that opportunity.

RG's media attention has had no affect on the teams performace. Players have come out and said as much.

Have you not seen the body language of the whole team? I'm reading it and it tells me they are tired of RGIII all of the time.

Lol, as I've said verbatim in a previous thread...got to love the psychoanalysis of a team and players based on 10 second video clips during a game

What fans don't like that? Period.  You? Period.  You wouldn't be the first person I would choose to speak for me as a fan. Period.

My view is what the **** difference does it make to you or anybody else how much media attention he gets, even if he brings it on himself, as long as it doesn't hurt the team.  And how are you - or any other schmo behind a keyboard - qualified to judge when the line is crossed that he's hurting the team?

By all accounts, Robert Griffin III is among the most diligent, hardest working players on the roster.  So I don't give two ****s that he endorses Subway in the off-season or wears custom made T-shirts.  Period.

What fans don't like that? Period.  You? Period.  You wouldn't be the first person I would choose to speak for me as a fan. Period.

My view is what the **** difference does it make to you or anybody else how much media attention he gets, even if he brings it on himself, as long as it doesn't hurt the team.  And how are you - or any other schmo behind a keyboard - qualified to judge when the line is crossed that he's hurting the team?

By all accounts, Robert Griffin III is among the most diligent, hardest working players on the roster.  So I don't give two ****s that he endorses Subway in the off-season or wears custom made T-shirts.  Period.

QFT

People are losing their minds over here.

Oh good...back to this debate again...I woiuld argue that the fact that we were playing a team using a new offensive scheme/philosophy and for a new coach had more to do with the performace of the team instead of an hour TV special...you know...things that actually affected the team while on the field. I will reiterate here - that documentary, commericals, media hype were not responsible for a botched pitch resulting in a safety, poor decisions resulting in turnovers, missed tackles on defense, an an inept offense in general.

Tone it down? He has every right to do with his marketability as he can. If someone will pay for it - get after it RG. Good for you.

Why is there so much noise about it? He was asked a question by the media...and he answered.

He has a right to go on a heroin binge. Doesn't make it a good idea.  Once again the team was shell shocked and started pressing early on. On game day, if the focus is on anything that didn't happen on the practice field and in the film room there is always potential for bad things to happen. Bottom line is there no reason whatsoever RG3 couldn't have worked his ass off to get back on the field, done as many endorsements ads as he wanted, kept the media noise to a minimum by not feeding the jackals and got himself ready without making such a circus out of it.

Do you have any other theories on why the team came out shell shocked out of the gate on an opening day monday night game at home?

Playing against a new offense + playing against a new defense + playing against a new coach + RG's injury...you know...things that actually impact the team...

He has a right to go on a heroin binge. Doesn't make it a good idea.  Once again the team was shell shocked and started pressing early on. On game day, if the focus is on anything that didn't happen on the practice field and in the film room there is always potential for bad things to happen. Bottom line is there no reason whatsoever RG3 couldn't have worked his ass off to get back on the field, done as many endorsements ads as he wanted, kept the media noise to a minimum by not feeding the jackals and got himself ready without making such a circus out of it.

There is no evidece that any of the media attention having any affect on the team...I forget who said it but a player was asked as much and he laughed it off. The focus of the team during week 1 was on week 1. That's it.

Regards the media attention...there was a storyline available to the media, that of RG's recovery...there would have been media attention galore no matter what RG said/didnt say. Nature of the beast.

Ha ha. No really I'm laughing. Do you really think I'm speaking for you? Let me make it clear for you. We all know that he is hard working and a special athlete. We are fortunate to have such a gifted QB and I haven't given up on him in any, way shape or form. Many Redskins fans think he has taken the wrong approach and put too much emphasis on him the individual.

Why are you so angry? Period?

Ha ha. No really I'm laughing. Do you really think I'm speaking for you? Let me make it clear for you. We all know that he is hard working and a special athlete. We are fortunate to have such a gifted QB and I haven't given up on him in any, way shape or form. Many Redskins fans think he has taken the wrong approach and put too much emphasis on him the individual.

Why are you so angry? Period?

We all know that he is a "hard-working and a special athlete" and that we are "fortunate to have such a gifted QB"....

yet he is a ****ing diva and people are glad that he has been humbled.

The team is responsible for playing like crap. Attributing any of the commercials/infomercials/documentaries/off season media hype to the teams performance so far is missing the point.

It's preposterous what losing these first 3 games of the season has done to people here.

We all know that he is a "hard-working and a special athlete" and that we are "fortunate to have such a gifted QB"....

yet he is a ****ing diva and people are glad that he has been humbled.

It's preposterous what losing these first 3 games of the season has done to people here.

FYI. I didn't like his approach LONG before the season started. So you lose that argument.

Archived