Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fred Smoot Rips Into The Redskins Coaching, Rg3

Metaldrumz

FYI. I didn't like his approach LONG before the season started. So you lose that argument.

Cool story brah

Lol @ winning/losing that argument

Wasn't arguing with you about what it is that you in particular believed...what it is that I am pushing back against is this belief that somehow RG's articulation of wanting to play and him doing a couple of commercials are somehow direclty responsible for this teams performace so far.

The team is playing like crap. There are many reasons for that. None of them involve commercials or press confrences.

The term diva is being thrown around pretty liberallly...

RG has every right to market himself and maximize his opportunity - this does not make him a diva.

RG articulated his desire to get back on the football field and compete - this does not make him a diva.

I fail to see how anything RG has done so far has made him a diva.

From an outsider looking in, I would have to disagree. I think it was Cornheiser (or perhaps Wilbon) that said 'it's been a long time since we've seen an athlete with such a gift at knowing where the cameras are'. That may not be verbatim, but it's close enough. I also remember that I couldn't agree with them more.

I don't like the word Diva either. It's used too much. But it certainly applies in this case.

Hopefully he eats this humble pie, and grows from it...

I know it's a hard pill for a lot of you to swallow, but Stephen A. Smith made so many valid points and I agree with pretty much everything he said. The biggest point being Griffin brought all of this on himself. Instead of just taking care of business he had to take the look at me approach during the offseason.

You make a good point if we don't live in the world we do right now.

RG3 will never have to say "look at me" as long as he is the Redskins QB. The camera is always on him, the tape is always rolling. There is no way for him to quietly go about his business. As long as people can make money off him, THEY will be the ones saying "LOOK AT RG3!! BUY OUR STUFF!!".

It's the price all of us have to pay for his unmatched superstar mix - great on field talent mixed with an even better off field marketability.  

From an outsider looking in, I would have to disagree. I think it was Cornheiser (or perhaps Wilbon) that said 'it's been a long time since we've seen an athlete with such a gift at knowing where the cameras are'. That may not be verbatim, but it's close enough. I also remember that I couldn't agree with them more.

I don't like the word Diva either. It's used too much. But it certainly applies in this case.

Hopefully he eats this humble pie, and grows from it...

It's the nature of the beast - we have a superstar/franchise QB who is personable. He is engaging. He doesn't have to look for the cameras. The cameras are always there and will always be there no matter what. To somehow blame that on RG and claim that he is a diva is wrong. It is how the world and the media environment is today.

RG3 will never have to say "look at me" as long as he is the Redskins QB. The camera is always on him, the tape is always rolling. There is no way for him to quietly go about his business. As long as people can make money off him, THEY will be the ones saying "LOOK AT RG3!! BUY OUR STUFF!!".

It's the price all of us have to pay for his unmatched superstar mix - great on field talent mixed with an even better off field marketability.  

This...agree completely.

Have you not seen the body language of the whole team? I'm reading it and it tells me they are tired of RGIII all of the time.

Yes!! I saw that!  Trent Williams' body language told me he was upset about the ESPN documentary.  Then Brian Orakpo's body language told me he was pissed off about the Operation Patience T-shirt.  Kory Lichtensteiger's upper body was ticked off about that rap video, and his lower body was tired of the cornrows.  But Barry Cofield's body told be me was hungry for dinner and didn't care one way or another about all the attention. Go figure.

It's okay to be stumped. :)

Added to my post...its not about arguing with you in particular...I am pushing back against this perception that somehow these external factors have affected the team so far...because it hasn't and players have come out and said so.

Many reasons for the teams poor performance - commercials and press conferences are not among them.

Yes!! I saw that!  Trent Williams' body language told me he was upset about the ESPN documentary.  Then Brian Orakpo's body language told me he was pissed off about the Operation Patience T-shirt.  Kory Lichtensteiger's upper body was ticked off about that rap video, and his lower body was tired of the cornrows.  But Barry Cofield's body told be me was hungry for dinner and didn't care one way or another about all the attention. Go figure.

That's awesome. Well played sir.

Fricking Nose Tackles. 

Always gota' be different. 

Hail. 

Thanks for taking the approach you did in your post. I like your style.

You make very valid points, but like I've said, he can choose his words and his approach knowing that we do "live in the world we do right now."

Playing against a new offense + playing against a new defense + playing against a new coach + RG's injury...you know...things that actually impact the team...

There is no evidece that any of the media attention having any affect on the team...I forget who said it but a player was asked as much and he laughed it off. The focus of the team during week 1 was on week 1. That's it.

Regards the media attention...there was a storyline available to the media, that of RG's recovery...there would have been media attention galore no matter what RG said/didnt say. Nature of the beast.

New defense?! Are you kidding me that defense is terrible even we took the ball up and down the field on them in the second half. Non of those things have anything to do with mental error after mental error after mental error during that first half melt down. We're also talking about psychological factors so unless you have brain scans of the players during the first half you have no evidence it didn't effect them.

Ha ha. For someone that claims they "don't care" you sure do seem to follow every RGIII off the field move.

It's the nature of the beast - we have a superstar/franchise QB who is personable. He is engaging. He doesn't have to look for the cameras. The cameras are always there and will always be there no matter what. To somehow blame that on RG and claim that he is a diva is wrong. It is how the world and the media environment is today.

This...agree completely.

Of course the cameras are going to be there...it's how you act and what you say when you are aware of it that matters.

Close your eyes and picture RG3 in an Eagles jersey. Really try to imagine him as an Eagle... Or Cowboy. Do you really feel you would be as accepting of his actions in that scenario?

I get it, it's hard for some to criticize their own... Especially one that has such potential to be a huge difference maker on the field.

Where did I say that?  You are putting words in my mouth, pal. 

Exhibit A of a "Captain Save-a-Griffin"...you take something COMPLETELY out of context for the purpose of getting a point across that has nothing to do w/ what was said. 

OK, sorry i guess i dont understand what "has been nothing but self-serving" means. My bad.

Thanks for taking the approach you did in your post. I like your style.

You make very valid points, but like I've said, he can choose his words and his approach knowing that we do "live in the world we do right now."

Like I said, he'll never be without an opportunity to "put himself out there". What I didn't say before is it's up to him to know when to turn down the spotlight. The Week 1 All In deal was probably a good one to not do. The Q I have had about the offseason campaign has been: assuming they approached him about it, was he in any position to turn it down given his deal with them? To give them a "hey guys I just need to lay low"? We'll most likely never though that without him being asked directly.

New defense?! Are you kidding me that defense is terrible even we took the ball up and down the field on them in the second half. Non of those things have anything to do with mental error after mental error after mental error during that first half melt down. We're also talking about psychological factors so unless you have brain scans of the players during the first half you have no evidence it didn't effect them.

And you have no evidence to say that it did...

And the Eagles defense may have been/be terrible but the fact of the matter is that they were playing with a new scheme than they did last year.

Of course the cameras are going to be there...it's how you act and what you say when you are aware of it that matters.

Close your eyes and picture RG3 in an Eagles jersey. Really try to imagine him as an Eagle... Or Cowboy. Do you really feel you would be as accepting of his actions in that scenario?

I get it, it's hard for some to criticize their own... Especially one that has such potential to be a huge difference maker on the field.

Yes...I would. I get the point that you are making but even in the scenario that you are creating the fact of the matter is tht I would be pointing to actual football issues as the reasons why the team was struggling instead of trying to project those reasons on things that have no tangible inpact

Both of the examples support the assertion that Bayless' opinion/assertion is baseless

Untrue, exaggerated, spun, maybe, but not baseless. People said he was just making up the stuff about Aikman, too, but it was fed to him by people inside the Dallas organization.

And the Eagles defense may have been/be terrible but the fact of the matter is that they were playing with a new scheme than they did last year.

Yes...I would. I get the point that you are making but even in the scenario that you are creating the fact of the matter is tht I would be pointing to actual football issues as the reasons why the team was struggling instead of trying to project those reasons on things that have no tangible inpact

How does a new scheme explain a lack of the most basic offensive execution?

The tangible impact could be the locker room. If RG3 wasn't so enamoured with the cameras, and went the humble route, it would make it so much easier for his teammates to have to endure answering questions about him every single day. But by not doing so, he at least invites the potential for animosity... And yes… That does show up on the field

How does a new scheme explain a lack of the most basic offensive execution?

It contributed to the performance of the team as a whole. That combined with RG coming back from major knee surgery surely has had more of an impact on the team than words spoken during the offseason.

I'll repeat, Snanny DID NOT want to draft RGIII.

I've read that somewhere else too (don't remember where). Shanahan would've been content to draft and groom Tanehill.

Not sure how accurate this rumour is but its a moot point. RG3s here now and is our teams QB. So far he's been 50 50. Griffin had a fantastic season last year, this one he's off to a bad start. Our only option is to see how he plays out the rest of the season and go by his nexts.

The tangible impact could be the locker room. If RG3 wasn't so enamoured with the cameras, and went the humble route, it would make it so much easier for his teammates to have to endure answering questions about him every single day. But by not doing so, he at least invites the potential for animosity... And yes… That does show up on the field

Except for the fact that there is NO evidence of animosity or tension within the lockeroom whatsoever.

The players would have had to answer questions about RG3 regardless of if he did an infomercial/commercial during the offseason. He is the face of this franchise now and for the foreseeable future.

That's his job.

Also nobody has a problem with him doing endorsements but the ESPN Special, the all in for week one campaign and that ridiculous tshirt were attention grabs. How do you not see this?

All in for Week 1 was an endorsement. It was an Adidas commercial about being ready for the start of football season which had a small part from RG3 and scenes of other football players getting ready and working hard. Sure that was obviously his goal but come on...its still just an endorsement. The media and people like you are the only ones that make a big deal out of it. 

He always does shirts with messages on them. He did that in college, same with the socks. Everybody loved that he wore Burgundy and Gold "Catch Your Dream" socks for the draft or "No Pressure No Diamonds" shirts but now since the narrative is "0-3 hes a diva, selfish attention whore jeopardizing the well being of the team", everything he does that was once loved when we were winning and he was new, is now criticized. 

I've read that somewhere else too (don't remember where). Shanahan would've been content to draft and groom Tanehill.

Not sure how accurate this rumour is but its a moot point. RG3s here now and is our teams QB. So far he's been 50 50. Griffin had a fantastic season last year, this one he's off to a bad start. Our only option is to see how he plays out the rest of the season and go by his nexts.

The story originated from Skip Bayless taking a **** and he forgot to flush. He figured why not...this is as good a foundation for an article as any.

This technique is known as the ESPN special.

Archived