Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fred Smoot Rips Into The Redskins Coaching, Rg3

Metaldrumz

Colin Kaepernick the media's new RGIII is now getting backlash just like RGIII is and shockingly it's from 49er fans who want to run him out of town. Check out the comment section, it's hilarious how many people are turning on RGIII and now Kaep because they are 0-3 and 1-2.

Me for one I've had to experience Tony Banks, Jason Campbell, John Beck,Rex Grossman, Donovan McNabb, Shane Matthews, Danny Werfel,Todd Collins, Jeff George, Heath Shuler, Patrick Ramsey, Tim Hasselbeck, Mark Brunnel and Gus Ferrotte and there's no possible way i'm turning on this kid and going back to a chance of having one of those caliber QBs ever again.

I've been right there with you...and agree whole-heartedly. This isn't about a crusade to defend RG no matter what...he ISN'T immune from criticism. However, It is much easier to tear things and people down than to take a rational and logical point of view at what is ailing this team right now.

In my opinion, what is ailing this team is a combination of things:

1. RG continuing to come back off of his knee reconstruction

2. Historically bad defensive play calling/game planning

3. Lack of execution on the offensive side of the ball (influenced by #1)

4. Rookies starting at 2 key positions at our weakest position group

5. Lack of basic fundamentals across the board on defense (with some exceptions (RK..SB...BC, etc; and also influenced by #2)

The fact is that RG is one of the biggest name in sports and he will be for the foreseeable future. He is an electric, engaging, charismatic, articulate, SUPERSTAR personality the likes this league hasn't seen in a very long time. This league loves its superstars. The media loves its superstars. He is and will be the face of this franchise for years to come.

When things go wrong - the team struggles, like it is struggling now - people will look for a scapegoat. They will look for the first thing to point at and claim that THIS...THIS...THIS is why we are 0-3...RG is the lightning rod for that because of his high profile.

However what blame can be placed at RG's doorstep?

RG isn't out at strip clubs getting hit in the head with a champagne bottle.

RG isn't out at bars getting into fights.

RG isn't out **** talking.

RG isn't out getting drunk or high or speeding or getting DUI's

RG isn't partying

RG isn't taking time away during the season to do his own thing

What is it that people latch onto? These tangential issues that have no bearing whatsoever on the performance of the team. If commercials and documentaries negatively impact the team...we wouldn't see ANYONE do it, much less RG. It hasn't. It doesn't. It won't.

People may have been overwhelmed by the amount of attention this team and RG in particular received throughout the offseason. That comes with being one of the most electric teams in the league last year. That comes with playing in the NFC East. That comes with having a franchise QB. That is the reality of playing professional sports In today's 24-hour media market and bolstered by an insatiable social media environment. The eyes of the football loving world are on us as an organization and on RG as an individual. That isnt a bad thing.

There was a saying that people had emblazoned on their signature blocks before this board switched over last year....they adopted it because it illuminated some of RG's mindset... "No pressure, No diamonds; Know pressure, Know diamonds"

That kid hasn't changed. His mindset hasn't changed. People are apoplectic around here because we lost some games...in epic fashion...but to latch onto tangential issues and continue to run these intellectually dishonest mantras into the ground is wrong. Just wrong.

However, it is much easier to **** and moan about those tangential issues because it deals with the face of this franchise however intellectually dishonest and however bereft those arguments are of any semblance of logic or reason.

This thread is just too much. You and others have done an admirable job combating it by injecting logic and common sense into it but the stupid is just too much...

Thanks buddy. Just some things you can't fix...stupid is pretty high on that list.

McNabb was right, fans would start to turn on RGIII if he/team didn't play like they did last year.

He knows football but he doesn't know football like Mike Shanahan.

Mike Shanahan isn't Jason Garrett he would never let an owner disrespect him, he has an ego and he's a hall of famer he'll never cower to ownership like these new age coaches do.

I agree, I was making fun of Al Davis being stuck I the 60s with his football philosophies. After all, he did pull out SB overhead projector.

Guarantee how? There is no available evidence, nor ANY indicators, to say that it has.

On Larry Michael's daily Redskin show, almost every player interviewed throughout camp was asked how they deal with the attention to RG3, including his own statements at press conferences where he was making his case for starting in week one. They all gave "media-friendly" answers but I felt like I was reading between the lines on those. I'm not calling this "proof" and I'm not saying they hold anything against him but I can see where it's just too much distraction for some players, especially when he could not even get on the field with them.

I don't blame RG3 for our losses so far and I don't mean to give that impression. I blame the defense, actually. I just feel like his media saturation causes a distraction. That's my take on that subject. 

Colin Kaepernick the media's new RGIII is now getting backlash just like RGIII is and shockingly it's from 49er fans who want to run him out of town. Check out the comment section, it's hilarious how many people are turning on RGIII and now Kaep because they are 0-3 and 1-2.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000250152/article/colin-kaepernick-favorites-the-haters-on-twitter

Me for one I've had to experience Tony Banks, Jason Campbell, John Beck,Rex Grossman, Donovan McNabb, Shane Matthews, Danny Werfel,Todd Collins, Jeff George, Heath Shuler, Patrick Ramsey, Tim Hasselbeck, Mark Brunnel and Gus Ferrotte and there's no possible way i'm turning on this kid and going back to a chance of having one of those caliber QBs ever again.  

For the record, I never turned on RGIII as some have suggested. I stated that he has more control of this team than Mike Shanahan does and because of Mike's letting RGIII dictate when he will play ....period...has been hurting this team since RGIII excercised his control about playing time in the Seahawks playoff game last year and leading to making sure he and only he would start the season. stand by my observations and they are my opinion of why a team with good personnel and to a man had a great offseason of work are now as limp as overcooked spaghetti.

A defense with Franchis worse stats in just 3 games, a confused and self destructive offense and for a team with all the heart possible for a team to have in their incredible run last year has yet to show any of that this year.

I see offensive and defensive players giving interviews while holding thier heads down cause they are so embarassed at the style of play that come out of all this ," It's all about RGII." Bombardment that has not reliquished since he hurt his knee nearly 10 months ago.,

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, we are seeing the negative effects of putting all of the attention away from the team and focusing on the self absorbed quarterback who thought it vital to for him to be the starter whether he was ready or not.'''

I hope this is something that this young man can learn from and adjust to the reality by the end of this season.

Race has nothing to do with it.

Right, we're a colorblind country now. Let's ignore the entire history of the United States and pretend race doesn't matter in these conversations. God you people crack me up, especially when it's the RGIII bashers that do it.

That's why going into his senior year, "serious" NFL draftniks projected him to WR...nobody projected Ryan Tannehill to WR, despite having played productive 2 years of WR in college.

Right, we're a colorblind country now. Let's ignore the entire history of the United States and pretend race doesn't matter in these conversations. God you people crack me up, especially when it's the RGIII bashers that do it.

That's why going into his senior year, "serious" NFL draftniks projected him to WR...nobody projected Ryan Tannehill to WR, despite having played productive 2 years of WR in college.

First - if there is one thing that I haven't been...its an RG basher. That's been pretty evident throughout this and multiple other  threads. I've tried to bring some semblence of logic and reason to this debate.

Second - extrapolating criticism of RG's race and inputting that into this debate has been done by exactly one person...you. To what end...I don't know.The fact of the matter is that the criticism that RG has recieved has been based on his profile (rightly or wrongly) and his race is irrelevent to that.

Third - the innacuracy of the projection of RG's draft status/position wasn't neccessarily based on the fact that he was black. Perhaps...I don't know....he was a supremely athletic playmaker whom had yet to burst onto the scene in college and was coming off of a major injury. There were serious questions of his ability to make every throw until his last year at Baylor. RG was a relative unknown outside of Baylor until his last year there, his Heisman winning year. The fact that a draftnik projected him as a WR instead of a QB wasn't based on race. But by all means...continue to play that tune. It is surely easier intellectually to blame race as the reason why that happend.

Fourth - this is likely a debate that should be carried over to the Tailgate, however to your first point, your sarcastic admission that we are a post racial society....is that the case? No. There are still issues that need to be resolved. However to automatically lash out and state that...the reason that RG is being critiqued is because of his race is intellectually lazy and dishonest.

Take that bull**** elsewhere. His race has NOTHING to do with this debate.

Nice response on his post Gymrat.

For those claiming that Griffin has "every right" to do commercials, do documentaries, make statements to the media, etc. you are 1,000% correct. I haven't read any opinions that dispute his right to do it. The point that some fans are making is that maybe it's not always the ideal thing to do.

He's his own man and that's fine. I wouldn't pretend to be able to tell him how to conduct himself when it comes to exposure. But, I do know how I feel about being a fan. In the 30 or so years that I've followed sports, I've always preferred the players that play for my teams to be lower-profile, downplay things in the media, etc. I don't crave information from coaches or want my players boasting about things. I grew up loving the 80s Redskins (led by Joe Gibbs) and idolizing Cal Ripken, Jr. if that provides any context.

So, do I hold it against Garcon for stating that our offense could be the best of all time? No. Do I hold it against Griffin for participating in documentaries, doing his commercials, giving inconsistent statements to the media? No. But, it's not what I ideally want from my favorite team. That's where I stand on the issue. Just as these players have every right to do these things, I have just as much a right to wish they did things slightly differently.

It doesn't mean I am turning on them or want to see them fail or anything else like that. It's simply a preference.

For the record, I never turned on RGIII as some have suggested. I stated that he has more control of this team than Mike Shanahan does and because of Mike's letting RGIII dictate when he will play ....period...has been hurting this team since RGIII excercised his control about playing time in the Seahawks playoff game last year and leading to making sure he and only he would start the season. stand by my observations and they are my opinion of why a team with good personnel and to a man had a great offseason of work are now as limp as overcooked spaghetti.

A defense with Franchis worse stats in just 3 games, a confused and self destructive offense and for a team with all the heart possible for a team to have in their incredible run last year has yet to show any of that this year.

I see offensive and defensive players giving interviews while holding thier heads down cause they are so embarassed at the style of play that come out of all this ," It's all about RGII." Bombardment that has not reliquished since he hurt his knee nearly 10 months ago.,

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, we are seeing the negative effects of putting all of the attention away from the team and focusing on the self absorbed quarterback who thought it vital to for him to be the starter whether he was ready or not.'''

I hope this is something that this young man can learn from and adjust to the reality by the end of this season.

Every star player has more control over their team than the head coach, A Gm would be stupid to pick the coach over their star player. Jerry Sloan (the utah jazz coaching legend) was fired because him and Deron Williams didn't get along, when you're THE star player you hold control of the team NOT the coach. This is the NFL not college football you're not going to be able to tell the guy (RGIII) who made this franchise relevant that has been an NFL laughingstock going on 15 years, to pipe down and get in line.

I have no sympathy because our guys are holding their head down in shame because RGIII is getting all the press clippings, maybe if they played better they too would get the press clippings?! The problem is RGIII, Alfred Morris and a few others have been carrying this team on their back going on last year and the other players who make no impact feel privileged that they too deserve some recognition. 

Where is the outcry for how poor the defense has played? where is the outcry for the missed tackles? where is the outcry for the joke called a secondary? They are playing bad because RGIII is getting all the credit? This isn't pop warner this is NFL football and they are getting paid millions. If they can't get the job done they will be replaced by people who will, especially with the cap we have available next year. 

PS this is aimed at the people who are blaming the 0-3 start on players not liking RGIII's "ego" or him getting all the "praise", even though he earned it by his play last year. 

It's a passionate aspect and few sane people will argue that major problems of racism (and many other isms) is very much with us. 

Now you may not get what parts of this post are too stupid (yes, I'm using that word---I do stupid things), insulting, or gratuitously inflammatory to be ok here, especially if you're tightly wrapped in misplaced indignation. But I'd suggest figuring it out, and definitely not doing the same thing again.

Hint: right now it would be quite fitting to ban you one week for a rule 5 violation and another week for a rule 12 violation. And (this is also for the benefit of "newcomers") don't bother to "debate" me on that, or you'll get a week off for a rule 18 violation. My awareness of you, such as it is, is that you're usually a reasonable and "no problem" poster, so I'm not concerned.  B)

For those claiming that Griffin has "every right" to do commercials, do documentaries, make statements to the media, etc. you are 1,000% correct. I haven't read any opinions that dispute his right to do it. The point that some fans are making is that maybe it's not always the ideal thing to do.

He's his own man and that's fine. I wouldn't pretend to be able to tell him how to conduct himself when it comes to exposure. But, I do know how I feel about being a fan. In the 30 or so years that I've followed sports, I've always preferred the players that play for my teams to be lower-profile, downplay things in the media, etc. I don't crave information from coaches or want my players boasting about things. I grew up loving the 80s Redskins (led by Joe Gibbs) and idolizing Cal Ripken, Jr. if that provides any context.

So, do I hold it against Garcon for stating that our offense could be the best of all time? No. Do I hold it against Griffin for participating in documentaries, doing his commercials, giving inconsistent statements to the media? No. But, it's not what I ideally want from my favorite team. That's where I stand on the issue. Just as these players have every right to do these things, I have just as much a right to wish they did things slightly differently.

It doesn't mean I am turning on them or want to see them fail or anything else like that. It's simply a preference.

Best post in this entire thread by a country mile.

Every star player has more control over their team than the head coach, A Gm would be stupid to pick the coach over their star player. Jerry Sloan (the utah jazz coaching legend) was fired because him and Deron Williams didn't get along, when you're THE star player you hold control of the team NOT the coach. This is the NFL not college football you're not going to be able to tell the guy (RGIII) who made this franchise relevant that has been an NFL laughingstock going on 15 years, to pipe down and get in line.

I have no sympathy because our guys are holding their head down in shame because RGIII is getting all the press clippings, maybe if they played better they too would get the press clippings?! The problem is RGIII, Alfred Morris and a few others have been carrying this team on their back going on last year and the other players who make no impact feel privileged that they too deserve some recognition. 

Where is the outcry for how poor the defense has played? where is the outcry for the missed tackles? where is the outcry for the joke called a secondary? They are playing bad because RGIII is getting all the credit? This isn't pop warner this is NFL football and they are getting paid millions. If they can't get the job done they will be replaced by people who will, especially with the cap we have available next year. 

PS this is aimed at the people who are blaming the 0-3 start on players not liking RGIII's "ego" or him getting all the "praise", even though he earned it by his play last year. 

Successful teams answer to the head coach, period end of story. It's absolute hogwash to think any single player is immune from answering to their head coach, nor should a player ever be in that position. If that's whats really going on we have a huge problem, but fortunately it's probably not the case. Mike Shanahan is supposed to be the one running this team and if he's not trying to get every single player on the roster to fall in line he's not doing his job.

Also I haven't seen anybody saying we're 0-3 because the team doesn't like RG3 and there are 2-3 threads in the Stadium with desperate fuming outcry about how the defense is playing. All people are saying here is that in their opinion we could have done without some of the stuff that went on in the offseason.

I just don't see how RGIII became such a polarizing fiqure so quickly. And I don't think that this is simply a circumstance of being 0-3 and folks blaming the most recog\nizable player on the team. There is some real hatred being thrown his way.

Does it stem from jelousy or something more deep seated, I don't know? But it is certainly disconcerting. It's not like he didn't work his tail off to come back from major surgery that was needed after he repeatedly gave up his body for his team and its fans.

Maybe if he was out partying and throwing drinks at hookers in the club I could see people questioning him. But he is a straight laced, ernest and very likeable young man. All of this criticism, questioning, and especially the hate is misplaced. And I would hope that we would be better as fans of this great franchise.

I just don't see how RGIII became such a polarizing fiqure so quickly. And I don't think that this is simply a circumstance of being 0-3 and folks blaming the most recog\nizable player on the team. There is some real hatred being thrown his way.

Does it stem from jelousy or something more deep seated, I don't know? But it is certainly disconcerting. It's not like he didn't work his tail off to come back from major surgery that was needed after he repeatedly gave up his body for his team and its fans.

Maybe if he was out partying and throwing drinks at hookers in the club I could see people questioning him. But he is a straight laced, ernest and very likeable young man. All of this criticism, questioning, and especially the hate is misplaced. And I would hope that we would be better as fans of this great franchise.

Where is this hatred? I see some posters having the opinion that the offseason could have been handled better, but I don't see any hatred, unless hatred equals criticism in your eyes. 

Successful teams answer to the head coach, period end of story. It's absolute hogwash to think any single player is immune from answering to their head coach, nor should a player ever be in that position. If that's whats really going on we have a huge problem, but fortunately it's probably not the case. Mike Shanahan is supposed to be the one running this team and if he's not trying to get every single player on the roster to fall in line he's not doing his job.

Also I haven't seen anybody saying we're 0-3 because the team doesn't like RG3 and there are 2-3 threads in the Stadium with desperate fuming outcry about how the defense is playing. All people are saying here is that in their opinion we could have done without some of the stuff that went on in the offseason.

There's been countless documentaries of successful teams on NFLNetwork recently where the coach and QB did not get along. The problem is we are 0-3 so you're hearing about it. If we were 2-1 nobody would be complaining and the  media wouldn't be looking for a "Story". 

On the subject you must have missed my point, a poster put he doesn't like how RGIII seems to have more control on the team than Mike Shanahan. I responded by saying every star player has more control on the team than the head coach. It's easy to find a head coach it's extremely hard to find a star player. I can name countless situations where the coach was fired because it was a choice between the star player or the coach. 

My only point was it's not abnormal for the star player to have what seems more weight over team decisions than the head coach. The only situation where I see the coach has more weight over the star player is in Pittsburgh, where Tomlin and Rooney want Haley and Roethlisberger hates Haley. But then again you see the steelers at 0-3 so I can guarantee you haley will be fired in a few weeks and that's because Roethlisberger can not stand him and there always needs to be a scapegoat when you're 0-3. lol

Elway & Shanahan were notorious for butting heads constantly, because of the standard Shanahan wanted at the QB position.  As good as Elway was, which is one of the greatest of all time. What ultimately helped Elway acheive immorality?  Terell Davis and the running game.That is something Shanahan brought to the Broncos and installed in the offense. I am sure Elway with his ego(justified ego) gets irked everytime he has to hear about not being able to win the big one until Terrell Davis arrived.

If Marino was the QB of those Broncos teams, he'd have two rings as well, Jim Kelly probably as well. 

Coaches & QB's butting heads on the details in not uncommon when both are driven to succeed and the teams they represent are close and on the cusp of achieving something great.  This is part of the growing process between RGIII & Shanahan.  Each has an idea of where to go with the offense.  RGIII will grow more into that role as he becomes a 3-5 season veteran.  Right now Shanahan has the experience and knowledge over RGIII, however Robert is just like ANY TYPICAL YOUNG SUPERSTAR QB..   Nothing he is doing is out of character. But he is so over-examined and put under a microscope because not only is he a franchise QB of the Washington Redskins, he is the first one we've had in 30 years.

As much as the media loves him one minute, they'd love to trash him and add another name to the list of would-be QB's in D.C. The only thing the media loves more than a winner, is a loser.  Trust me, they are using this 0-3 start to stir the pot and everyone who has absolutely ZERO INSIGHT into the situation are coming out of the woodwork to try and keep their own "stardom" relevant for another 15 minutes.

Where is this hatred? I see some posters having the opinion that the offseason could have been handled better, but I don't see any hatred, unless hatred equals criticism in your eyes. 

I've read some pretty hateful things in the comments sections of recent articles from posters with Redskins avatars or who self identify. There is a growing trend that I hope a few wins will stem.

The problem a lot of us have is you guys can't have concerns how the off season was handled because now we're 0-3, where were these concerns when we were winning? RGIII was doing the same (commercials, interviews, espn coverage) thing before he even threw a pass for us and hardly anybody complained.

Heck hardly anybody complained during the offseason RGIII coverage, instead we were making threads informing each other when we should set our DVR to record the next RGIII special or interview. It's just hilarious how now that we're 0-3 everyone is coming out the wood works with concerns now that it's convenient. It's the same way on 49er forums, they loved Kaep after the pack game now they want to run him out of town after 2 bad games and yet they call themselves "real fans". lol

Agreed.

Some people don't agree with everything that he's done and maybe believe him to be a bit self-centered. I think it's all within the context of him being a great person on and off the field.

What ultimately helped Elway acheive immorality?  Terell Davis and the running game..

What exactly did Elway and TD do that was immoral? :)

Agreed.

Some people don't agree with everything that he's done and maybe believe him to be a bit self-centered. I think it's all within the context of him being a great person on and off the field.

What exactly did Elway and TD do that was immoral? :)

Haha....I would go back and edit it to make it the correct word, but it's funnier if I leave it that way, right?

that's the best explanation i've heard from someone on that side of the debate. 

thanks

There's been countless documentaries of successful teams on NFLNetwork recently where the coach and QB did not get along. The problem is we are 0-3 so you're hearing about it. If we were 2-1 nobody would be complaining and the  media wouldn't be looking for a "Story". 

On the subject you must have missed my point, a poster put he doesn't like how RGIII seems to have more control on the team than Mike Shanahan. I responded by saying every star player has more control on the team than the head coach. It's easy to find a head coach it's extremely hard to find a star player. I can name countless situations where the coach was fired because it was a choice between the star player or the coach. 

My only point was it's not abnormal for the star player to have what seems more weight over team decisions than the head coach. The only situation where I see the coach has more weight over the star player is in Pittsburgh, where Tomlin and Rooney want Haley and Roethlisberger hates Haley. But then again you see the steelers at 0-3 so I can guarantee you haley will be fired in a few weeks and that's because Roethlisberger can not stand him and there always needs to be a scapegoat when you're 0-3. lol

Haley isn't the head coach of the Steelers. What is abnormal is a successful team in which the star player having more pull than the head coach, and if that happens here we're absolutely screwed. That's a terrible position to be in for a team and will almost always lead to disaster, which is why coaches that let it happen get fired.

BTW considering you support a franchise that hasn't been able to replace the only Superbowl winning head coach its ever had, your view on head coaches is pretty bleak and also incorrect. Our greatest success is directly because of one head coach. You're flat out wrong about that.

Archived