Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fred Smoot Rips Into The Redskins Coaching, Rg3

Metaldrumz

I do think that a lot in this debate has to do with a generation gap. I've noticed that a lot of posters on the opposite end of the argument are older and are not used to the prevalence of social media, the increased emergence of the athlete brand, and dealing with a international superstar, especially with the 'Skins.

The last mega-star on the 'Skins was Sammy Baugh. They have never been a team known for star players. 

The problem a lot of us have is you guys can't have concerns how the off season was handled because now we're 0-3, where were these concerns when we were winning? RGIII was doing the same (commercials, interviews, espn coverage) thing before he even threw a pass for us and hardly anybody complained.

Heck hardly anybody complained during the offseason RGIII coverage, instead we were making threads informing each other when we should set our DVR to record the next RGIII special or interview. It's just hilarious how now that we're 0-3 everyone is coming out the wood works with concerns now that it's convenient. It's the same way on 49er forums, they loved Kaep after the pack game now they want to run him out of town after 2 bad games and yet they call themselves "real fans". lol

The problem I had with arose the minute all those things happened in the offseason. I actually expected us to have a good season for the first time in a while.

I do think that a lot in this debate has to do with a generation gap. I've noticed that a lot of posters on the opposite end of the argument are older and are not used to the prevalence of social media, the increased emergence of the athlete brand, and dealing with a international superstar, especially with the 'Skins.

The last mega-star on the 'Skins was Sammy Baugh. They have never been a team known for star players. 

If that's how it's breaking out, I believe you. But I just don't completely buy into the thought process that some of us in our 30s and 40s or older "don't get" the prevalence of social media or the emergence of the athlete brand. I'm 36 and I get it. Hell, most of us grew up watching the definition of the athlete brand (MJ).

Things go viral these days for sure. The idiotic things that Dexter Manley or Gary Clark or John Riggins might have said back in the glory days probably just died in a newspaper somewhere. But just because we didn't have any face-of-the-franchise type players during that era, we were under more of a microscope than even today given the fact that we won all the time and contending for championships.

It's funny when the team went from 3-6 to 10-6, everybody and their grandma was loving them some RG3. Now, the team is 0-3 and everybody hates the way RG3 boasts and brags and does excessive commercials.

He did the same thing last year as he is doing this year albeit with different results and a bum knee.

You folks crack me up.

If that's how it's breaking out, I believe you. But I just don't completely buy into the thought process that some of us in our 30s and 40s or older "don't get" the prevalence of social media or the emergence of the athlete brand. I'm 36 and I get it. Hell, most of us grew up watching the definition of the athlete brand (MJ).

Things go viral these days for sure. The idiotic things that Dexter Manley or Gary Clark or John Riggins might have said back in the glory days probably just died in a newspaper somewhere. But just because we didn't have any face-of-the-franchise type players during that era, we were under more of a microscope than even today given the fact that we won all the time and contending for championships.

That's a good point.

Maybe that brush was a little broad that I used

Haley isn't the head coach of the Steelers. What is abnormal is a successful team in which the star player having more pull than the head coach, and if that happens here we're absolutely screwed. That's a terrible position to be in for a team and will almost always lead to disaster, which is why coaches that let it happen get fired.

BTW considering you support a franchise that hasn't been able to replace the only Superbowl winning head coach its ever had, your view on head coaches is pretty bleak and also incorrect. Our greatest success is directly because of one head coach. You're flat out wrong about that.

Name a star/franchise player who doesn't have more pull than his head coach?

If Brady wants bilicheck gone he is gone.

If Manning wants Fox gone he is gone.

If RGIII wants shanny gone he is gone.

If Lebron wants Spoelstra gone he is gone.

If Kobe wants D'Antoni gone he is gone.

If Peterson wants frazier gone he is gone. 

Dwight Howard wanted Van Gundy gone and he was gone.

Deron wanted sloan a LEGEND gone and he was gone.

And the list goes on and on and on. 

Did you know Adrian Peterson and Brad Childress did not get along? did you know Childress was fired immediately after Peterson explained to management he could not coexist with childress?

Gibbs era? are you kidding me? Gibbs couldn't even control John Riggins, lets not sit here with burgundy and gold glasses and act like Gibbs had everyone falling in line buddy. The difference is we won games back then so nobody complained but Riggins did not fall in line he did whatever he wanted to do and gibbs walked on egg shells not to upset riggins because he knew he needed him. 

The days of "Shut up and talk when you're told" as an athlete in today's generation are over. You tell a star player that now a days and you're gone as soon as the owner here's you're talking to his prized possession who fills the seats in that manner.

Not saying we have that situation with RGIII but i'm just saying you have to be pretty naive if you think a coach has more power over a star player. Now a coach does have more power over other players but the franchise player? heck no. 

Name a star/franchise player who doesn't have more pull than his head coach?

If Brady wants bilicheck gone he is gone.

If Manning wants Fox gone he is gone.

If RGIII wants shanny gone he is gone.

If Lebron wants Spoelstra gone he is gone.

If Kobe wants D'Antoni gone he is gone.

If Peterson wants frazier gone he is gone. 

Dwight Howard wanted Van Gundy gone and he was gone.

Deron wanted sloan a LEGEND gone and he was gone.

And the list goes on and on and on. 

Did you know Adrian Peterson and Brad Childress did not get along? did you know Childress was fired immediately after Peterson explained to management he could not coexist with childress?

Gibbs era? are you kidding me? Gibbs couldn't even control John Riggins, lets not sit here with burgundy and gold glasses and act like Gibbs had everyone falling in line buddy.

The days of "Shut up and talk when you're told" as an athlete in today's generation are over. You tell a star player that now a days and you're gone as soon as the owner here's you're talking to his prized possession who fills the seats in that manner.

Not saying we have that situation with RGIII but i'm just saying you have to be pretty naive if you think a coach has more power over a star player. Now a coach does have more power over other players but the franchise player? heck no

Childress was a terrible coach, it's his fault he couldn't get Peterson to buy into what he was doing. Brady on the other hand buys into what Bellicheck does because he's a great head coach, and that's the bottom line. A great head coach doesn't have to be loved by all his players but he gets everyone to buy in and by doing so puts his authority 100% beyond question. Coaches that can't do this fall in line behind their star players and eventually get fired. You can bring up another four hundred examples of coaches that got fired because of their players but that just means they were poor coaches. A star player cannot and will not interfere with the authority of his coach if the head coach is a leader that commands respect, even if the respect is strictly on a professional level.

It's funny when the team went from 3-6 to 10-6, everybody and their grandma was loving them some RG3. Now, the team is 0-3 and everybody hates the way RG3 boasts and brags and does excessive commercials.

He did the same thing last year as he is doing this year albeit with different results and a bum knee.

You folks crack me up.

Who says the results have anything to do with not liking what happened in the offseason? I had a problem with those events at the time they happened months before the season started. What our record would be after 3 games didn't even cross my mind.

Coach Mike didn't want RGIII huh?

Well that's a theory I guess. 

One of the most out there, ridiculous, bat **** crazy theories I've heard. But a theory nonetheless. 

Hail. 

Especially considering that Mike himself called RG111 the "best quarterback" he has ever seen or coached.  That speaks volumes, and there is NO way that comes out of his mouth if he really didn't feel that way.

Childress was a terrible coach, it's his fault he couldn't get Peterson to buy into what he was doing. Brady on the other hand buys into what Bellicheck does because he's a great head coach, and that's the bottom line. A great head coach doesn't have to be loved by all his players but he gets everyone to buy in and by doing so puts his authority 100% beyond question. Coaches that can't do this fall in line behind their star players and eventually get fired. You can bring up another four hundred examples of coaches that got fired because of their players but that just means they were poor coaches. A star player cannot and will not interfere with the authority of his coach if the head coach is a leader that commands respect, even if the respect is strictly on a professional level.

It's all about winning and losing, Jim Harbaugh is a great coach and the 49ers are now 1-2 and his team is getting bashed left and right and his play calling is being scrutinized and he is being called out by his own players. 

The patriots are 3-0 what is there to criticize? I can guarantee you if the Patriots were 0-3 bill would be criticized. Mike Tomlin is another great coach who has been getting bashed left and right and people are actually calling for him to be fired this is after 2 AFC championships and 1 super bowl ring in 8 years at the helm of the steelers. 

Winning cures all, nobody cares about how much you have won, just wait until you start losing and all of that will go out the window. 

Nothing about RGIII has changed, he was doing the same last year when we were 10-6 and now that we're 0-3 there is a problem? It's all knee jerk reactions from a lot of people in here because they dont like being 0-3, which I understand I don't like it either but to blame it on RGIII's off season commercials and etc is childish. 

It's all about winning and losing, Jim Harbaugh is a great coach and the 49ers are now 1-2 and his team is getting bashed left and right and his play calling is being scrutinized and he is being called out by his own players. 

The patriots are 3-0 what is there to criticize? I can guarantee you if the Patriots were 0-3 bill would be criticized. Mike Tomlin is another great coach who has been getting bashed left and right and people are actually calling for him to be fired this is after 2 AFC championships and 1 super bowl ring in 8 years at the helm of the steelers. 

Winning cures all, nobody cares about how much you have won, just wait until you start losing and all of that will go out the window. 

Nothing about RGIII has changed, he was doing the same last year when we were 10-6 and now that we're 0-3 there is a problem? It's all knee jerk reactions from a lot of people in here because they dont like being 0-3, which I understand I don't like it either but to blame it on RGIII's off season commercials and etc is childish. 

Criticized by who? I'm talking about the lockeroom I could care less about the media and fans, and great coaches control their lockerooms even in times of adversity.

Once again the results have nothing to do with what I didn't like but I can only speak for myself.

Criticized by who? I'm talking about the lockeroom I could care less about the media and fans, and great coaches control their lockerooms even in times of adversity.

Once again the results have nothing to do with what I didn't like but I can only speak for myself.

Not sure who you meant by "criticized by who" so i'm gonna assume you mean't jim harbaugh from the 49ers because I said Jim was criticized by players.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-gore-harbaugh-20130922,0,2804352.story#axzz2fvrf9Wrx

Here is the article of Jim Harbaugh (a great coach who has turned their franchise around) being yelled at by Frank Gore after a 1-2 start. I wonder what is the cause of all this criticism jim is receiving? oh let me guess the 1-2 start. Like I said all these RGIII ego criticism is in result to us being 0-3. 

If the 49ers lose this Thursday to the rams you are going to hear reported grumbling from their locker room,fan base and media, I can guarantee it. If we somehow start winning games all the criticism will go away and everyone will forget about the supposed "Ego" everyone says RGIII has, I can guarantee it. 

Especially considering that Mike himself called RG111 the "best quarterback" he has ever seen or coached.  That speaks volumes, and there is NO way that comes out of his mouth if he really didn't feel that way.

Well, he did stake his reputation on Beck and Grossman.....just sayin ;-)

Seriously though, I think its not outside the realm of possibility that he is sincere.  RG3 has the tools to be an all time great.  We're seeing a combination of rust and lack of confidence.  It'll pass.  Maybe we struggle through a bad year, but it'll pass.

FWIW - I agree with a lot of sentiment in here.  Maybe he should have toned down the "I wanna play" comments considering Shanny said flat out that it wasn't happening.  I do not believe we should harp on hom for the commercials or cable specials.  He is the hot commodity for advertising right now.  Who would you rather have in front of a camera, RG3 or neck-beard wearing Luck who sounds like sloth from the goonies?  RG3 is as common a name as MJ was back in the 90s.  He is instant recognition, and that sells.

HTTR

Not sure who you meant by "criticized by who" so i'm gonna assume you mean't jim harbaugh from the 49ers because I said Jim was criticized by players.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-gore-harbaugh-20130922,0,2804352.story#axzz2fvrf9Wrx

Here is the article of Jim Harbaugh (a great coach who has turned their franchise around) being yelled at by Frank Gore after a 1-2 start. I wonder what is the cause of all this criticism jim is receiving? oh let me guess the 1-2 start. Like I said all these RGIII ego criticism is in result to us being 0-3. 

If the 49ers lose this Thursday to the rams you are going to hear reported grumbling from their locker room,fan base and media, I can guarantee it. If we somehow start winning games all the criticism will go away and everyone will forget about the supposed "Ego" everyone says RGIII has, I can guarantee it. 

Coach/player confrontation are common and no indication that Harbaugh isn't 100% in charge of that lockeroom.

Coach/player confrontation are common and no indication that Harbaugh isn't 100% in charge of that lockeroom.

Thank you for proving my point. 

This is what I said earlier, basically explaining it's common for the head coach and QB not to get along but it's a non issue, it's only an issue now because we are 0-3. 

There's been countless documentaries of successful teams on NFLNetwork recently where the coach and QB did not get along. The problem is we are 0-3 so you're hearing about it. If we were 2-1 nobody would be complaining and the  media wouldn't be looking for a "Story".

Using what you said, RGIII and Shanahan's supposed "rift" is common and no indication that Shanahan isn't 100% in charge of that locker room. We're losing because we're not executing not because of what RGIII did in the off season and with your post it shows you agree with me, thank you. :) lol 

Thank you for proving my point. 

This is what I said earlier, basically explaining it's common for the head coach and QB not to get along but it's a non issue, it's only an issue now because we are 0-3. 

There's been countless documentaries of successful teams on NFLNetwork recently where the coach and QB did not get along. The problem is we are 0-3 so you're hearing about it. If we were 2-1 nobody would be complaining and the  media wouldn't be looking for a "Story".

Using what you said, RGIII and Shanahan's supposed "rift" is common and no indication that Shanahan isn't 100% in charge of that locker room. We're losing because we're not executing not because of what RGIII did in the off season and with your post it shows you agree with me, thank you. :) lol 

Great, except I never said there was a rift. I said great coaches are the undisputed leaders and ultimate authorities on their team, and that a coach/player confrontation (rifts and confrontations are two completely different things btw) doesnt disprove that. Read one of my previous posts and you'll see that you just repeated what I said about players and coaches not having to get along on a personal level in order for the head coach to be the undisputed leader. I never ONCE said we're losing because of one thing over another. In fact I said I have no idea why we're losing. All I said was I didn't like what happened in the offseason. Don't lump me into the conversations you're having in your head. lol

This angle that we're hearing now about Shanny not really wanting to pony up for RGIII sounds really odd to me. The fact that we were able to pull off the deal was because of Shanny and Jeff Fisher's close relationship, no? Sounds like he wouldn't have gone to those lengths if he wasn't all in on RGIII.

Great, except I never said there was a rift. I said great coaches are the undisputed leaders and ultimate authorities on their team, and that a coach/player confrontation (rifts and confrontations are two completely different things btw) doesnt disprove that. Read one of my previous posts and you'll see that you just repeated what I said about players and coaches not having to get along on a personal level in order for the head coach to be the undisputed leader. I never ONCE said we're losing because of one thing over another. In fact I said I have no idea why we're losing. All I said was I didn't like what happened in the offseason. Don't lump me into the conversations you're having in your head. lol

Did you voice your displeasure with what happened this off season prior to us losing games? Because I didn't see anyone have any gripes in fact everyone figured we were going to win the NFCeast this year. I would love to see some of these posts of displeasure on how RGIII was acting this offseason because I hardly ever saw them until now which isn't shocking because we are 0-3. lol

Did you voice your displeasure with what happened this off season prior to us losing games? Because I didn't see anyone have any gripes in fact everyone figured we were going to win the NFCeast this year. I would love to see some of these posts of displeasure on how RGIII was acting this offseason because I hardly ever saw them until now which isn't shocking because we are 0-3. lol

I barely remember what I posted last week and I'm certainly not digging around a message board for 4-5 month old posts. If that gives you some sense of satisfaction more power to you. This is rather pointless so if you could make up things I posted and then argue against them without me that'd be great, thanks.

Hey DM72 so in reading between the lines of your commment what your saying is that coach did not want to draft RGIII because he wanted to continue to play with Rex? LOL are you kidding me? LMAO.....

Yeah so in other news..Smoot! really I mean we are talking about Smoot, who freakin cares this guy was the worst CB is redskins history, now that he is behind the Comcast news desk he is creditable? LOL I do not know about you all but if you were not considered to be the top of your respective position throughtout the league at any point then you have no advice to give me.

Since I do not know coach or Griffin personally I will NEVER speculate on their relationship. Here is what I do know:

1) Before drafting Griffin we had a traditional offense and the coach changed it to cater to RGIII abilities (even after the McNabb said that RGIII would not be successful in DC because the coaching staff would not change their offense, hey hater they did not change the offense for you because your were washed up, should have never gotten you in the first place)

2) Coach took efforts to sure up our line, get some receivers, and a quality RB so that RGIII and by extension the team could be successful

Why would RGIII have an issue with coach?

Because he did not let him play in the preseason? Heck no, if anything RGIII should be pissed that he continued to play him after the injury vs the ravens last year. Coach knows that he screwed up by playing him and was going to do the right thing this time around. RGIII (just like the sockets here wears) might actually think that he is superman which is probably why after the Browns games last year he said "I don't know why coach did not play me, I was ready to play" come on man no you were not.

Once we start winning all of this speculation and foolishness will go away.

I barely remember what I posted last week and I'm certainly not digging around a message board for 4-5 month old posts. If that gives you some sense of satisfaction more power to you. This is rather pointless so if you could make up things I posted and then argue against them without me that'd be great, thanks.

Whoa, we're having a friendly conversation and you're getting rather defensive, which leads me to believe you indeed only began having issues with how RGIII handled this off season once we began losing games. But yea have a wonderful day bro not sure where this conversation soured. lol

Loved Smoot as a player, but he's no brain surgeon.  Until we get the defense from giving up a bazillion yards per game, it pretty much matters not what RG3 and the Shanahans cook up on offense.

Look, RG3 needs to get past the knee injury, if he can.  I'm sure that the brace is a constant reminder and it has to be a distraction.  Until he can concentrate 100 on the game, he is not going to be the QB from last season.

And tell the damn offense to hold onto the balls that hit them in the hands.

Archived