Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fred Smoot Rips Into The Redskins Coaching, Rg3

Metaldrumz

Wow did anyone else read this?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/fred-smoot-goes-scorched-earth-mike-shanahan-k-003435643--nfl.html

Not sure what to think about those quotes. I agree yet I disagree a little if that makes any sense. On the name calling I 100% disagree I mean the criticism. 

On the other hand, RGIII and Shanahan have enough judgement to think about what they're saying before they say it and when they do, speak in English.

I agree 100% with Smoot. Me and another guy was talking about this during the game yesterday. "RGIII is being humbled." Sometimes young people need to be humbled. And he's absolutely right about RGIII's and Shanny's relationship.

I'll repeat, Snanny DID NOT want to draft RGIII.

I was listening to the interview yesterday.  The yahoo quotes were out of context.  He was trying to make a point as for whatever reason Holden and Danny brought up a coaching change since Shanahan is in his 4th year and does not have an extension in place yet.  Smoot started talking about getting chemistry b/t a young QB and coach early in their career and not constantly changing it. 

The red lobster comment was pretty funny though.

To an extent, assuming he is correct about the relationship between MS and RG3, there aren't a lot of successful QBs that don't get along with their coach.  Especially when the QB has a unique skill set that the coach needs to cater to.  But who knows what their relationship is really like.

As far as Wilson and Luck being more composed - well they have decent OLs in front of them and both are more traditional QBs.  When people get stressed, they rely on what they do best, and what RG3 does best is run.  And right now he can't just outrun everyone.

Something will happen with a loss next week, but I think Haslett will be sacrificed.  It would be really hard to replace both Shanahans over the bye week.

I agree 100% with Smoot. Me and another guy was talking about this during the game yesterday. "RGIII is being humbled." Sometimes young people need to be humbled. And he's absolutely right about RGIII's and Shanny's relationship.

Does that speak poorly of Shanahan or is the success of Wilson, Tannehill, and Kaepernick proving that maybe a lesser-known QB along with 3 high picks might have been the better plan?

Shanny is safe for this year, but if this team totally crap the bed this year, he could be in some trouble.

I agree with this. No chance he's fired during the season and I think he gets next year if we rebound to win 6+ games total. But if this team somehow wins 3 or 4 games, I'll be curious to see what happens.

You know it is typical of the media to hire a guy with very little integrity like Smoot. Fed Smoot thinks he can just do or say anything because he is an ex-player and people will listen to his stupid comments. Fred Smoot isn't exactly a saint when he goes on a party boat when he was a player in Minnesota and he was involved in some inappropriate behavior. He was the supposed ring leader that rented the boat and one of his quotes was something to the effect of "double-donging two hookers." Is that someone you want to be covering and reporting about your team? Come on! Fred Smoot just loves to run his mouth and not know any facts. That is why the media hired him so they could get that reaction. My advice to Fred Smoot is to just shut the ***** up.

Does that speak poorly of Shanahan or is the success of Wilson, Tannehill, and Kaepernick proving that maybe a lesser-known QB along with 3 high picks might have been the better plan?I agree with this. No chance he's fired during the season and I think he gets next year if we rebound to win 6+ games total. But if this team somehow wins 3 or 4 games, I'll be curious to see what happens.

Other people probably said this before but I think RGIII was a Kyle, Dan and maybe Bruce Allen pick. To compromise, Shanny was allowed to draft Cousins in the 3rd. You simply don't draft two QB's in the first 3 rds of a draft if you're totally satisfied with the first QB you drafted.

And yes, I think it does speak poorly of Shanahan. It's mostly his job to make it work.

Shanny isn't going anywhere, are you people insane? He will be here for a while. Kyle and Haz maybe shouldn't feel too comfy, but Mike? No chance.

I can't believe anyone would listen to what Smoot has to say. He has zero inside info, no ties to this team. If nobody believed in what we were doing, why would Hall come back for such a lesser contract or London not retire? Unless you think the entire locker room was lost in just three short weeks? That would be pathetic. Honestly, Robert does need humbling and he can be a brat.

We will start winning after the bye and get our swagger back and have momentum into the post season. Relax and don't ever listen to the opinion of fred freaking smoot please.

I agree 100% with Smoot. Me and another guy was talking about this during the game yesterday. "RGIII is being humbled." Sometimes young people need to be humbled.

I've been thinking that too.  I think in the long run, it might all be a blessing in disguise.  It might be good for him.  People were talking about him last year like he was a wily veteran and everything he said and did was gold.  Might've been too much too soon.  

Other people probably said this before but I think RGIII was a Kyle, Dan and maybe Bruce Allen pick. To compromise, Shanny was allowed to draft Cousins in the 3rd. You simply don't draft two QB's in the first 3 rds of a draft if you're totally satisfied with the first QB you drafted.

And yes, I think it does speak poorly of Shanahan. It's mostly his job to make it work.

But I don't think they trade 3 picks for a guy they're lukewarm on either.  

I would love for you to actually have info to back a statement up like that...

Well, first of all DM, Cousins was a 4th round pick, not a 3rd. 

Secondly, I dont care what anyone says, Mike Shanahan wanted to draft RG3.  This is just noise.  We need to become like the Patriots and ignore the noise.   But, no, we all read into it.  Were 0-3, theres no excuses, and theres plenty of blame to go around.  But, dont give me that "Griffin was never Shanahans guy"  and "Shanahan has lost the respect of the locker room" or any of that crap.  How many times has the media said Tom Coughlin lost the locker room and the respect of the players?  Yea, thought so.

Do you have audio proof of this statement, or just stoking the fire?  EVERY interview I've seen of Mike, he has absolutely nothing but praise - almost to a fault.

I meant it slightly differently. If Mike's opinion was that we didn't need to trade 4 picks for Griffin, doesn't the current young QB situation in the NFL somewhat validate him? You could certainly make the argument that we'd be a stronger overall team with Wilson/Tannehill/Cousins plus 2-3 other high-caliber starters.

You're right about his coaching...it's his job to make it work with the players they supply (and he did, to an extent, last year). But as someone evaluating personnel, he was pretty on-the-money with Tannehill and Cousins.

Do you have audio proof of this statement, or just stoking the fire?  EVERY interview I've seen of Mike, he has absolutely nothing but praise - almost to a fault.

He has no proof, hes just listening to what Skip Bayless wrote on ESPN.com the other day.  Skip Bayless said he had a Redskin insider that said Shanny didnt want to trade up for Griffin and give all that away, he was happy to wait at 6 for Tannehill.  Thats all.  And, I still am amazed so many people are just turning on this team.  Honestly, Griffin at 75% still has looked 5x better than Grossman, Campbell, Collins, Brunell, Ramsey, Beck and every other dummy QB combined.  Yet, we still are out there criticizing a guy who rushed back to play for us. 

Take a breather guys, the season might be lost, but the team isnt.  If you want to point the blame at someone, blame HAslett, this defense has NEVER gotten better, each year it gets worse.

Well, first of all DM, Cousins was a 4th round pick, not a 3rd. Secondly, I dont care what anyone says, Mike Shanahan wanted to draft RG3.  This is just noise.  We need to become like the Patriots and ignore the noise.   But, no, we all read into it.  Were 0-3, theres no excuses, and theres plenty of blame to go around.  But, dont give me that "Griffin was never Shanahans guy"  and "Shanahan has lost the respect of the locker room" or any of that crap.  How many times has the media said Tom Coughlin lost the locker room and the respect of the players?  Yea, thought so.

My mistake, Cousins was a 4th rd pick. I have nothing to back up what I said, I'm just reading between the lines. I have a feeling RGIII and his dad sense it too.

Archived