Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fred Smoot Rips Into The Redskins Coaching, Rg3

Metaldrumz

Neither of us knows anything for sure, but I think there was absolutely some risk involved when a player shines a spotlight on himself in any way shape or form, and I think that cause I've seen it happen. Do you think nobody would watched a doc on Tom Brady's recovery when he tore his knee up? and he was already an established superstar (achievement wise)

So you'd rationalize it the same way if he played for any other team?

Rationalize WHAT? ESPN's interest in filming his recovery?

Is this more or less distracting than HBO's Hard Knocks? Do teams come together or fall apart because they are filmed during training camp?  

If it was a player on another team, I probably wouldn't have watched, due to not having the same emotional investment.  RGIII is our guy, I was interested in seeing his hard fought road back to the football field.  There was nothing primadonna or egotistical about it.  Can you point to something in the piece specifically that you can identify as hurtful to the team?  Was there anything anti-team about it?  Was he calling out coaches or players or fans?

If ESPN had approached AP to do the same thing after 2011, do you really think he would have said No?  Come on.......

As for justifying it for a player on another team, it surely wouldn't bother me, I probably just wouldn't have watched it.

I would hate for the Redskins for the Redskins to be on Hard Knocks. I also never said he was a prima donna or egotistical, just has some misplaced Hubris. He did things that added additional pressure in a situation where it was dangerous to do so by adding to the build up of his return.

10 at whatever % of health has just done what no other Redskins QB has done in the SB era. Passed for 300 yards or more in 3 consecutive games. 

Lord help us when he's healthy and learns how to pass huh?

Hail. 

yea well alot of that yardage came when the D went soft late in the third and fourth quarter especially the first 2 games when it was over by half time.

I agree with Fred Smoot, I believe the proof that Mike Shanahan reliquished authority of this team to RGIII no one need look any further than the Playoff game against the Seahawks.

His reason for leaving RGIII in the game was,"He said he was OK and wanted to play."

Unless I am wrong that is a coaching decision to make, and one that if it had been made to sit him after the second series after he took the shot that knocked his helmet off on the sidelines and it was obvious he couldn't barely walk.

If that decision had been properly made we most likely could have won that game easily.

It became more and more obvious as the game went on that he could no longer throw the ball with any power, and he a harder and harder time playing the position.

Mike Shanahan gave up this season so that RGIII could have his way. He said he would start and that was the way it had to be...period!!

RGIII controls what goes on with this team..

Not Mike Shanahan!!!!

And that is exactly what is wrong with this team this year.

Yes, it is true that the defense is crap.

It is my opinion that after RGIII made the offseason all about him, his team mates like many of this teams biggest fans like myself became sick and tired of hearing about RGIII's frikking knee.

Once the story becomes only about one player, the other players maybe don't work as hard.

Football is a team sport, RGIII bought into and fanned the flames of his individual importance.

Since Mike Shanahan decided to not act like the coach and say "NO." to RGIII, he didn't plan on having Kirk Cousins start the season.

A decision that would have been the absolutely more sound approach. By planning from the beginning to have Kirk Cousiins start the season and play at least to the "Bye" week how much worse off would this team have been???

Isn't that the reason for having drafted Kirk Cousins in the 3rd round after all???

Can't do it now.

I know that I will be crucified for my opinion on this, but I do not wear the rose colored glasses that way too many of the fans on this forum do. I call em like I see em'.

No one can doubt that RGIII is an exceptional athelete, but he is not super human and the fact is he is not 100% healthy.

He wasn't when the season started and a really good coach in full control of his team and his position would never have allowed this situation to have occurred. Now it is just a huge stinking mess and he is still to weak to make it right.

Just because your favorite child wants to drive the family car doesn't mean he is able to. Sometimes the best thing you can do as the one in charge is to say...NO!

I just hope that Mike Shanahan hasn't ruined the relationship between this quarterback and his team mates, and to his own confidence level.

I believe it is going to get worse before it gets better, and the longer it goes on this way the more and more RGIII will try to make more happen the more likely he is to expose himself to further harm.

Mike Shanahan is proving every day that this continues that he has lost his way and is past his ability to coach in the NFL.

I think that "so and so lost the locker room" is one of the biggest myths in sports.  How often do you think players -all of them- actually say "**** this I don't like our coach I'm going to go out there and play half assed".  It's feel-good and rah rah when the team is 'together' and winning, like the end of last year, and when the team starts losing, suddenly coach has 'lost the locker room'.  No he didn't, he knows where it is.

And why do so many people act like they have ANY idea about the type of relationship Shannahan and RG3 have?  People just playing marriage counselor (without the sessions), and coming to a conclusion on how player and coach feel about each other. 

It's stupid.  The Redskins are losing right now.  They're getting badly out-schemed on defense, the offense is bumpy, RG3 is rehabbing.  Why does it always have to be something more than that?  Smoot is an idiot.

I agree with Fred Smoot, I believe the proof that Mike Shanahan reliquished authority of this team to RGIII no one need look any further than the Playoff game against the Seahawks.

Mike Shanahan is proving every day that this continues that he has lost his way and is past his ability to coach in the NFL.

Must...resist...aneurism....

No...dude...just no...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g4bftQ4xxFc&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dg4bftQ4xxFc

Edit: I apologize for the unsavory language...felt that a little Joe Pesci was in order.

Smoot just mad Shanny cut him, and I think he's in the same boat as Lavar. I think they're both doing anything to tear down the washington Redskins when they get the opportunity. I always get the feeling they act classy when the team is doing alright, but when the team is down they interject negative feelings they had with the organization onto this team. 

I guess it's a matter of opinion isn't it??

Time will tell won't it my rude and small minded friend.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion man...that said...that was the craziest thing I've read on this board in a very long time. That says a lot.

Moreover, just to be clear...I wasn't attacking you personally...just your previous mindblowing post

Lets not even get started on Lavar.  If the 'Skins lose a game, his show is impossible to listen to if you are into rational thought.

Lavar is the epitome of "blame the coaches and the organization for everything" He always wants to see something that isn't there because even in his playing days he was notorious for not wanting to listen to coaches, even though whenever he did, he performed better.

I remember Marvin Lewis had him playing disciplined, and he had his best statistical sack season, but was complaining the entire way about not being able to roam around and "improvise" even though when he did that, he was often out of place to make routine tackles. 

RGIII....articulate.....well spoken....solid family....happy to have him as the Redskins QB; now and for many more years.

That being said, I always thought the Redskins we're shunned somewhat in the past despite having some seriously powerful teams in the 80's/early 90's. In addition, we've had some pretty marketable characters. But aside from the occasional national Thiesmann commercial/movie acting and some Riggins Chevy commercials, our boys were pretty much kept off the national exposure circuit.

But I can say now I'm tired of seeing anything non-Redskin-actual-game-related in regards to RGIII. Tired of t-shirts, documentaries, 5 dollar foot longs, impromptu podium appearances where he has to dispel mythical "rifts" with coach....whatever.  Just tired of seeing him, and I'm the dude who (used) to eat up ANYTHING Redskin related. Look, I love the dude, but tired of seeing and hearing of him. Now don't get me wrong, a lot of this over exposure is basically repetition of commercials and PFT/etc. articles every time he farts, but the overexposure is what it is.....annoying. Really annoying.

But it in no way affects the output on the field. He works hard and game time is game time.....these are professionals we're talking about.

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS MY OPINION AND NOTHING I TYPED CAN BE BACKED UP WITH DOCUMENTS OR TESTIMONIES

Colin Kaepernick the media's new RGIII is now getting backlash just like RGIII is and shockingly it's from 49er fans who want to run him out of town. Check out the comment section, it's hilarious how many people are turning on RGIII and now Kaep because they are 0-3 and 1-2.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000250152/article/colin-kaepernick-favorites-the-haters-on-twitter

Me for one I've had to experience Tony Banks, Jason Campbell, John Beck,Rex Grossman, Donovan McNabb, Shane Matthews, Danny Werfel,Todd Collins, Jeff George, Heath Shuler, Patrick Ramsey, Tim Hasselbeck, Mark Brunnel and Gus Ferrotte and there's no possible way i'm turning on this kid and going back to a chance of having one of those caliber QBs ever again.  

Race has nothing to do with it.

this is America, and that position is the most racially polarizing position in sports.

It has everything to do with it.

However my thinking is more about this move to distance himself from being a black QB. Cam did it. RG3 sorta did it, and they both got backlash their 2nd seasons from the same media/people that praised them their first seasons.

Vince Young and Jason Campbell did it too, and now one is out the league and broke and the other is a journeyman back up.

I think Robert will be a better player because of all this, so I am good with this. Ultimately it will be better for the Redskins.

Colin Kaepernick the media's new RGIII is now getting backlash just like RGIII is and shockingly it's from 49er fans who want to run him out of town. Check out the comment section, it's hilarious how many people are turning on RGIII and now Kaep because they are 0-3 and 1-2.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000250152/article/colin-kaepernick-favorites-the-haters-on-twitter

this is so stupid. NFL fans need to relax.

Mike Shanahan would never allow an owner to disrespect him and that's the reason Al Davis got rid of Shanahan, because Shanny wasn't a yes man and he was man enough to tell Al Davis he doesn't know a thing about football.

Al knew enough about football. He was a player and coach when the Raiders first started. Problem was, he only knew about football from the 1960's.

McNabb was right, fans would start to turn on RGIII if he/team didn't play like they did last year. 

Al knew enough about football. He was a player and coach when the Raiders first started. Problem was, he only knew about football from the 1960's.

He knows football but he doesn't know football like Mike Shanahan. 

Mike Shanahan isn't Jason Garrett he would never let an owner disrespect him, he has an ego and he's a hall of famer he'll never cower to ownership like these new age coaches do. 

Me for one I've had to experience Tony Banks, Jason Campbell, John Beck,Rex Grossman, Donovan McNabb, Shane Matthews, Danny Werfel,Todd Collins, Jeff George, Heath Shuler, Patrick Ramsey, Tim Hasselbeck, Mark Brunnel and Gus Ferrotte and there's no possible way i'm turning on this kid and going back to a chance of having one of those caliber QBs ever again.  

Its pretty pathetic honestly. Kaep played damn near perfectly in week 1 but because two bad games people want to act like that. People forget Montana and Brady and Manning never have bad games especially early in their careers. 

I am not going to bash RG3. I've seen the collection of hot garbage we have trotted out at QB since I remember football in 94. 

Though after the past few weeks I am convinced we would be running Peyton Manning out of town had he signed here or any other top notch QB. Hell these same Redskins fans would likely have ran Jordan out of town had he been drafted by the Bullets for being an arrogant, selfish ball hog **hole. 

The truth always lyes somewhere in the middle. No need to tarnish or talk ish about Smoot because he gave his opinion. I for one think Robert has been a brat. His attitude throughout this whole offseason has been borderline insolent. Not owning the mistakes this last game really irked me, being he's team captain. The red lobster comment is singlehandedly the funniest thing I've heard in a while. Winning cures all. Don't buy in to Shanny being fired or not wanting rg. Winning cures all. The team OVSLY did not handle success well. From Shanny on down we all have crapped the bed, fans too. Time to change the sheets and hopefully save this season. HTTR!!!!

Archived