Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fred Smoot Rips Into The Redskins Coaching, Rg3

Metaldrumz

I'm not saying that it did anything to help the team...but to start asserting that it has actively hurt the team - absent any evidence to support it - is off base. That was clearly a marketing ploy by RG and an opportunity for him to build his brand. There is nothing wrong with that.

There is if we've already established that there are potential risks involved for the team, ESPECIALLY if there are also tangible football related obstacles to overcome, which I was one of the first to point out after the Eagles game because there's no reason for him not to develop into one of the best in the game.

There is if we've already established that there are potential risks involved for the team, ESPECIALLY if there are also tangible football related obstacles to overcome, which I was one of the first to point out after the Eagles game because there's no reason for him not to develop into one of the best in the game.

What potential risks to the team?

I don't understand this post at all...

Because firing Shanahan would be totally counterproductive to developing RGIII successfully.  Doing so would increase the chance that RGIII fails.

Firing Shanahan would not be like Roethlisberger or Brees's coaching change situations BTW.  Roethlisberger won a SB with Tomlin after first winning one with Cowher.  And Brees changed HCs from changing teams.  In both cases, they were already well established and entrenched QBs, more capable of coping with a coaching change.  RGIII is not.  And those QBs have been with Payton and Tomlin for years now, even through disappointing seasons.  You pick a coach and stick with him if you want to even think about being successful.

We're married to both Shanahan and RGIII now and fans are just going to have to deal with that.  One bad season, much less one bad start, doesn't change that.  They are at the beginning of their window.  The only time you talk about firing Shanahan now is if we're still losing years into RGIII's career.

RG3 isn't an established QB, so it's Shanahan's job to lose I agree with that, but a line should be drawn somewhere in regards to when he has done enough to lose it. Not saying he will do anything to lose the job, but letting the wrong coach linger is also detrimental to a QB's development.

What potential risks to the team?

I don't understand this post at all...

A player drawing attention to himself has proven to be detrimental to teams in the past and sometimes intangible factors do come in to play on the field, so there is a  potential risk. If there's a risk and it doesn't benefit anyone but RG3, why do it?

A player drawing attention to himself has proven to be detrimental to teams in the past and sometimes intangible factors do come in to play on the field, so there is a potential risk. If there's a risk and it doesn't benefit anyone but RG3, why do it?

It depends on the context of what the individual is doing...if RG was holding out, not practicing, ****ing and moaning then I would agree with you that RG was having a detrimental impact on this team.

RG doing a biopic and a documentary on his recovery isn't detrimental to the team in any capacity.

Yeah most of this stuff was done in the offseason anyway, when RGIII couldn't do much "football" related activity anyways.

To act like he wasn't putting in 110% effort to be ready to week 1 because he did some commercials, or the documentary that ESPN wanted to do is downright silly.

Yeah most of this stuff was done in the offseason anyway, when RGIII couldn't do much "football" related activity anyways.

To act like he wasn't putting in 110% effort to be ready to week 1 because he did some commercials, or the documentary that ESPN wanted to do is downright silly.

I'd up the ante to mentally handicapped.

It depends on the context of what the individual is doing...if RG was holding out, not practicing, ****ing and moaning then I would agree with you that RG was having a detrimental impact on this team.

RG doing a biopic and a documentary on his recovery isn't detrimental to the team in any capacity.

You don't always have to be a douche to crave attention. How many players have suffered injuries as bad as his and worked equally as hard as him filmed a documentary about themselves? Heck how many players do we have on the team that have overcome knee ligament tears? One way or another it was an attempt to shine the spotlight on himself, and he was already getting more than enough without any extra effort, and that kind of thing has backfired enough on the NFL to make it a bad idea as long as there is any kind of risk involved, even small. 

Not sure if you're talking about me or not but that's not what I said.

You don't always have to be a douche to crave attention. How many players have suffered injuries as bad as his and worked equally as hard as him filmed a documentary about themselves? Heck how many players do we have on the team that have overcome knee ligament tears? One way or another it was an attempt to shine the spotlight on himself, and he was already getting more than enough without any extra effort, and that kind of thing has backfired enough on the NFL to make it a bad idea as long as there is any kind of risk involved, even small.

Not sure if you're talking about me or not but that's not what I said.

Oh...RG's a douche now...LOL!!

It never stops

The reason that other players haven't done a documentary is because nobody would want to watch it. Period. If someone came up to Rak and asked to do a documentary about his rehab from tearing his pec...he would be an idiot to turn that down. The reason that he didn't is because there are exactly 0 people who would pay for that.

The media craves RG3 news. There is $$$ to be made through RG3 stories. That's why he did it and good on him for doing so. He has every right to market himself as he sees fit. Period.

Oh...RG's a douche now...LOL!!

It never stops

The reason that other players haven't done a documentary is because nobody would want to watch it. Period. If someone came up to Rak and asked to do a documentary about his rehab from tearing his pec...he would be an idiot to turn that down. The reason that he didn't is because there are exactly 0 people who would pay for that.

The media craves RG3 news. There is $$$ to be made through RG3 stories. That's why he did it and good on him for doing so. He has every right to market himself as he sees fit. Period.

That's what you thought you DONT have to be a douche meant?

I'm not talking about his rights, I'm talking about it as a potential distraction and you've yet to answer the question on how it benefits the Redskins. If something is a even a potential distraction and doesn't benefit the team, it's not a good idea to do it period. You're also naive if you think he had initiative in this. Do you think RG3 is the first player ESPN would have moved heaven and earth to air a recovery process doc about?

That's what you thought you DONT have to be a douche meant?

I'm not talking about his rights, I'm talking about it as a potential distraction and you've yet to answer the question on how it benefits the Redskins. If something is a even a potential distraction and doesn't benefit the team, it's not a good idea to do it period. You're also naive if you think he had initiative in this. Do you think RG3 is the first player ESPN would have moved heaven and earth to air a recovery process doc about?

The fact is that there was and is no potential for anything even remotely negative happening to the team for RG to share part of his life with us. None. Zip. Nil.

No potential distraction.

I said in a previous post that it doesn't benefit the skins as an organization...however it doesn't hurt the skins either. It is irrelevant. It does nothing to the skins for RG to share with the world about his background and what he went through during rehab.

Other athletes may have been willing to do a documentary on their recovery...however...nobody would have paid for it and nobody would have watched it.

ESPN approached him.

It's not like RGIII hired Tarantino to come write a script and submit it to all the networks and studios to tell his story.

ESPN figured that one of the most dynamic player's road to recovery was an interest piece, that people would be interested in the process of coming back from injury.

I am sure what helped motivate the story was the fact that AP did it the year before when it was considered impossible, so ESPN wanted to be out front in covering the next player attempting to do it.

Geez people, seriously.......

I am lost right now. The fact is that there was and is no potential for anything even remotely negative happening to the team for RG to share part of his life with us. None. Zip. Nil.

No potential distraction.

I said in a previous post that it doesn't benefit the skins as an organization...however it doesn't hurt the skins either. It is irrelevant. It does nothing to the skins for RG to share with the world about his background and what he went through during rehab.

Other athletes may have been willing to do a documentary on their recovery...however...nobody would have paid for it and nobody would have watched it.

Neither of us knows anything for sure, but I think there was absolutely some risk involved when a player shines a spotlight on himself in any way shape or form, and I think that cause I've seen it happen. Do you think nobody would watched a doc on Tom Brady's recovery when he tore his knee up? and he was already an established superstar (achievement wise)

ESPN approached him.

It's not like RGIII hired Tarantino to come write a script and submit it to all the networks and studios to tell his story.

ESPN figured that one of the most dynamic player's road to recovery was an interest piece, that people would be interested in the process of coming back from injury.

I am sure what helped motivate the story was the fact that AP did it the year before when it was considered impossible, so ESPN wanted to be out front in covering the next player attempting to do it.

Geez people, seriously.......

So you'd rationalize it the same way if he played for any other team?

Good post. Robinson's bobble is what it is, but-

I've been saying for 3 weeks that RG3 is not the real problem here. The defense is losing these games and the defense is not improving even incrementally like Griffin is.

People are just lazy though. Why pick on the Redskins historically bad defense when they can just talk about RG III instead

Neither of us knows anything for sure, but I think there was absolutely some risk involved when a player shines a spotlight on himself in any way shape or form, and I think that cause I've seen it happen. Do you think nobody would watched a doc on Tom Brady's recovery when he tore his knee up? and he was already an established superstar (achievement wise)

I would be curious to know when an athlete doing a commercial/infomercial/documentary durin the offseason has negatively impacted their respective team. I am genuinely curious.

People probably would have watched it yes...but TBrady already has millions upon millions of dollars and his legacy as one of the GOAT's had already been established. There was nothing to be gained in term of Brady doing something like that. In fact...if I was Brady...I would probably be annoyed by the fact that I would have to spen my time in production meetings, having a bunch of people follow me around. If I'm Brady...I'd much rather go take a bath on my pool filled with cash then spend anytime with camera men.

However, RG...who hasnt made all that much money yet and ha had his career threatened not once but twice has a lot to gain by it. He is building a legacy an a brand in this media driven market and he should do everything possible to maximize his opportunity while he still has commercial appeal.

Regardless...even if Brady decided to do a documentary it wouldn't have negatively impacted the Patriots one bit.

Yes....because its nonsensical to blame a commercial or documentary on a recovery during the off season for a teams performance. It has ha no impact whatsoever. That would be the same regardless of the uniform RG wears.

RG3 isn't an established QB, so it's Shanahan's job to lose I agree with that, but a line should be drawn somewhere in regards to when he has done enough to lose it. Not saying he will do anything to lose the job, but letting the wrong coach linger is also detrimental to a QB's development.

That sounds good in theory. But how do you actually draw a line in practice that isn't going to be based on short sighted, arbitrary, or inappropriate criteria? When you're talking about a decision as major as firing a HC--pretty much the most drastic decision an owner can make--it needs to be clear that there is no longer hope for improvement. And that's a judgement call.

I agree having the wrong guy in charge is wasting everyone's time and hindering the QB's development. But you and I both know that's not Shanahan. Shanahan is on the short list of coaches you want handling your QB's development. Whatever else can be said of him as a HC, he's clearly one of the greatest experts at finding and developing QBs in all of football.

I would be curious to know when an athlete doing a commercial/infomercial/documentary durin the offseason has negatively impacted their respective team. I am genuinely curious.

People probably would have watched it yes...but TBrady already has millions upon millions of dollars and his legacy as one of the GOAT's had already been established. There was nothing to be gained in term of Brady doing something like that. In fact...if I was Brady...I would probably be annoyed by the fact that I would have to spen my time in production meetings, having a bunch of people follow me around. If I'm Brady...I'd much rather go take a bath on my pool filled with cash then spend anytime with camera men.

However, RG...who hasnt made all that much money yet and ha had his career threatened not once but twice has a lot to gain by it. He is building a legacy an a brand in this media driven market and he should do everything possible to maximize his opportunity while he still has commercial appeal.

Regardless...even if Brady decided to do a documentary it wouldn't have negatively impacted the Patriots one bit.

In my opinion all of the offseason events lead to a pressure cooker atmosphere that the team did not need, but that's just my opinion. When you draw attention to yourself, there is pressure to back up what you're saying and if he doesn't get hurt last year this wouldn't be a problem. The documentary to me was unecessary because I'm looking at from a Redskin's perspective. RG3's brand could not interest me less. The word I probably should have used is hubris, which was just out of place in his situation in my opinion.

That sounds good in theory. But how do you actually draw a line in practice that isn't going to be based on short sighted, arbitrary, or inappropriate criteria? When you're talking about a decision as major as firing a HC--pretty much the most drastic decision an owner can make--it needs to be clear that there is no longer hope for improvement. And that's a judgement call.

I agree having the wrong guy in charge is wasting everyone's time and hindering the QB's development. But you and I both know that's not Shanahan. Shanahan is on the short list of coaches you want handling your QB's development. Whatever else can be said of him as a HC, he's clearly one of the greatest experts at finding and developing QBs in all of football.

Double post.

Football wise only a handful of people that have walked this earth are better for a QB's development than Mike Shanahan, but the bolded part is more or less what I was saying. I think if something bad continues to happen on the football field and not the lockroom he should absolutely be safe, but if it's both I'm not so sure.

In my opinion all of the offseason events lead to a pressure cooker atmosphere that the team did not need, but that's just my opinion. When you draw attention to yourself, there is pressure to back up what you're saying and if he doesn't get hurt last year this wouldn't be a problem. The documentary to me was unecessary because I'm looking at from a Redskin's perspective. RG3's brand could not interest me less. The word I probably should have used is hubris, which was just out of place in his situation in my opinion.

That pressure is what comes with being the NFC East champs.

That pressure is what comes with being in a major media market.

That pressure is what comes with having one of the most exciting football players in the entire league as your QB.

The pressure is always going to be there regardless of what RG is going to do and regardless of what RG is going to say.

None of the media attention has placed any strain on the bonds that make up this team. We are playing poorly - yes - however the genesis for that isn't because of the offseason media attention.

Pierre Garcon stated That this offense was going to be the greatest of all time. Has that played a role in the struggles of this team? No. It hasn't.

The reason for our current struggles is found in the X's and O's, coaching details, etc....tangible variables of playing professional football

That pressure is what comes with being the NFC East champs.

That pressure is what comes with being in a major media market.

That pressure is what comes with having one of the most exciting football players in the entire league as your QB.

The pressure is always going to be there regardless of what RG is going to do and regardless of what RG is going to say.

None of the media attention has placed any strain on the bonds that make up this team. We are playing poorly - yes - however the genesis for that isn't because of the offseason media attention.

Pierre Garcon stated That this offense was going to be the greatest of all time. Has that played a role in the struggles of this team? No. It hasn't.

The reason for our current struggles is found in the X's and O's, coaching details, etc.

Then why do something to add to it, and I think we can agree that wrong or right what he did at the very least had potential to add to it. The team has its share of football related issues I just wish nothing wish nothing was done in the offseason to have us in this debate in the first place. If he rehabs quietly and only gives the media hard data about his recovery process we're not having this discussion  people aren't on here saying a lot worse things than I have about him and he gets the credit he deserves for his dedication.

Then why do something to add to it, and I think we can agree that wrong or right what he did at the very least had potential to add to it. The team has its share of football related issues I just wish nothing wish nothing was done in the offseason to have us in this debate in the first place. If he rehabs quietly and only gives the media hard data about his recovery process we're not having this discussion people aren't on here saying a lot worse things than I have about him and he gets the credit he deserves for his dedication.

Negative...I don't agree that the documentary had any potential to add any undue pressure on the team. If instead it was an hour long segment of RG calling out and **** talking every team/player in the league...yes...then that would add undue pressure on the team. However...awesome that may be...I can see where that would add pressure to the Skins and the rest of the team. For the record I would find this to be ****ing hilarious.

If it was an hour long documentary where RG proceeded to state how and why we would go 19-0...yes that would have the potential to add pressure on the team.

If it was an hour long commentary where RG secretly came out of the closet and revealed to the world that it was in fact him that was "logicalvoice" from PFT...yes...that too would add pressure to the organization.

RG sharing with the world his background and his journey and how he approached his rehab does nothing to the Skins as an organization. There is no potential for anything bad happening at all.

RG can do what he wants to do with his marketing campaign during the offseason which is the approach that he took. Good for him. Get that $$$ while you can, work your ass off to build your legacy, and seize your greatness. To fault him for this is asinine.

He has stated that he would curtail those activities if there was even a whiff of discontent or the perception of discontent in the lockeroom....there hasn't been. This is a non-issue being floated by people who are frustrated as hell about the performance of this team over the first 3 weeks. I am right there with you...I am frustrated as hell about how we have played because I know that we are better than this. I know what we are capable of. RG has had a role to play during that crappy play...but the origin of that stems not from some documentary he did during the offseason. It stems from poor play on the field and also stems from him continuing to come back from major knee surgery.

Rationalize WHAT? ESPN's interest in filming his recovery?

Is this more or less distracting than HBO's Hard Knocks? Do teams come together or fall apart because they are filmed during training camp?  

If it was a player on another team, I probably wouldn't have watched, due to not having the same emotional investment.  RGIII is our guy, I was interested in seeing his hard fought road back to the football field.  There was nothing primadonna or egotistical about it.  Can you point to something in the piece specifically that you can identify as hurtful to the team?  Was there anything anti-team about it?  Was he calling out coaches or players or fans?

If ESPN had approached AP to do the same thing after 2011, do you really think he would have said No?  Come on.......

As for justifying it for a player on another team, it surely wouldn't bother me, I probably just wouldn't have watched it.

Have you not seen the body language of the whole team? I'm reading it and it tells me they are tired of RGIII all of the time.

I've been to all four home games in this young season. Robert has received nothing but a support from his coaches and teammates. I have yet to witness anything "negative" in the body language department. Of course I'm just a small plane aviator, not a body language expert like your self.

I'll repeat, Snanny DID NOT want to draft RGIII.

Haha, what? You have a link or sound byte? Or are you a "body language" expert too?

I know you wish that was true. His dad doesn't have anything to do with the Redskins, but you're living in La La Land if you think he has nothing to do with HIS son or his career.

I was just curious how big a role your own father plays in your job and if he suggests to your boss what responsibilities he gives you and how your company should be utilizing you to suit your own fathers ends?

But as it was obviously too intrusive, again, forgive me for prying to make a point. 

Hail. 

Why? Why is it different? His dad has a right to interfere in his sons career and our business right? Why not your father in yours? 

There's no end to this. Let's get all our serving Servicemen and woman's parents to demand their kids be taking off active duty yo protect their health. Being as, you know, daddy knows best. 

Yeah, totally and utterly ridiculous B/S from me. Which is exactly what your saying when you continue to try condone RGII publicly saying how his son should be utilized by this organization. Until we start paying him for his opinion, he needs to shut the **** up! As does ANY family member of ANY of our players. 

Hail. 

It's not like Griffin Jr. was going around offering opinions; in each instance, he was asked a question and answered honestly, as a parent seeking to protect his son.

Archived