Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fred Smoot Rips Into The Redskins Coaching, Rg3

Metaldrumz

It's apparent how bad this fan base has been beaten into submission. For 20 years it was a joke outside a couple lone playoff appearances.  Then last year it seemed to all change until an injury happened.  Now because of an 0-3 start everyone is back to being frantic and over the top.

An 0-3 start to a season by a team with an awful defense (historically bad, mind you) and a QB coming back from reconstructive knee surgery in which both his knees were operated on, is ALL IT TOOK for half of you to go right back into "If we don't win it all right now, blow everything up, blow it all up aaaaaaaaaaaah" mode.

Seriously, a lot of people say this team doesn't know how to win? Yeah maybe, but this fanbase is so far removed from having a consistent winner, that no one has the ability to look big picture, or see past a month's worth of football. 

I would gladly sacrifice '13 if it means RG3 is "right" again to open up '14. In fact I am sure it will take less time then that, maybe right after the bye week,  however to some 0-3 seems like the deathnail to not only this season, but the coaching staff(I'll concede D-coordinator could be changed), the starting QB and the team's long term chances of being good. I'm really anxious to see when RGIII gets back to form and half of you are going to whine that it took to long and he should be benched or traded still.

REALLY?

I cut way back on my post-game posts following the Lions loss because I figure threads like this would pop up, anchored by comments from Fred Smoot of all people who has nothing constructive to say about the situation and just wants to lob verbal grenades to generate a story. I figured by today this type of nonsense would have died down, but I guess not.

Excuses sometimes cover for lack of preparation. If RG3's health and readiness going into the season were a question mark why is the ball being thrown so much? Why this far into a coaching reign are penalties still plaguing the team? Why was the RG3 injury situation allowed to snowball the way it did? All fair questions to ask without going overboard as the team has come out of the gate looking shell shocked and that's on the head coach. Supposedly, Shanahan is in the same neighborhood as Gibbs and Bellicheck if not on the same street, and they both finished off seasons with winning records (Gibbs 2007, Bellicheck the year Brady got hurt) facing MUCH more adversity than what Shanahan is so far failing to deal with. At some point the book of excuses has to run out of pages.

There are a couple of other options besides it being baseless.

One would be that Shanahan was on the fence about the cost to get Griffin. I don't think anyone with anything to do with NFL personnel would want Tannehill over Griffin, but when you throw in two additional first round picks and a second round pick, it becomes a bit harder to quantify. I could see Bayless twisting something like that into saying that Shanahan didn't want Griffin to fit some conspiracy narrative Skippy concocted.

Another alternative is that someone with an axe to grind fed the information to Bayless knowing that he would run with it. It's not like that hasn't happened before.

Anyway, I highly doubt that Shanahan didn't want to draft Griffin. On the other hand, the 7 game win streak might be one of the worst things that could happen to a team with shaky personnel in key spots, a huge cap penalty, and the sacrifice of 3 high draft picks for the chance to grab a franchise QB. Expectations are way out of whack now, and it's going to take more than just improvement from Griffin to turn things around. Unfortunately, the door is open for unfounded criticism of the QB any time a team loses.

The roster isn't perfect, but nobodies roster is perfect. This is one of the accumilations of talent we've had in a long time so the lack of personel excuse is out the window at this point.

Shanny isn't going anywhere, are you people insane? He will be here for a while. Kyle and Haz maybe shouldn't feel too comfy, but Mike? No chance.

I can't believe anyone would listen to what Smoot has to say. He has zero inside info, no ties to this team. If nobody believed in what we were doing, why would Hall come back for such a lesser contract or London not retire? Unless you think the entire locker room was lost in just three short weeks? That would be pathetic. Honestly, Robert does need humbling and he can be a brat.

We will start winning after the bye and get our swagger back and have momentum into the post season. Relax and don't ever listen to the opinion of fred freaking smoot please.

Finally, A voice of reason.

My 2 cents. Griffin is a great kid with tremendous talent, but he is a bit of a punk.

He should SHUT THE FRONT DOOR and beg the coaches forgiveness for being such an insolent child. Then he needs to put his head down and go to work.

All in for win 1

Imagine that, local media rips the Redskins at the first notions of trouble.

they insinuate a ton of stuff for which they have no proof and run with speculation as fact to rile up their moronic listeners.

No wonder our fan base is so mercurial.

~Bang

Lost the lockerroom at 0-3?

Enough, just stop it, please. The reason Griffin isn't meeting expectations is because they were unrealistically set and hyped by the same media that's ripping him apart for not meeting them. The biggest difference between RG3 and AP is that AP wasn't asked to run an offense as a second year player coming off reconstructive knee surgery.

Same team as last year with rookies in the secondary, the only reason we didn't see this coming is because we didn't want to...

IDK if I agree with Smoot.  I think Shannhan has the perfect offense for RG3 and if RG3 doesn't see that he needs his vision checked.  My PR guy, Brian Lustig (who is great btw), hung out next to RG3 a whole game in a box and said he seems to be a really down to earth guy who is struggling with the attention. 

I know it's a hard pill for a lot of you to swallow, but Stephen A. Smith made so many valid points and I agree with pretty much everything he said. The biggest point being Griffin brought all of this on himself. Instead of just taking care of business he had to take the look at me approach during the offseason.

He also repeated what I've said several times before and that's Griffin is only a second year player and hasn't earned his stripes yet.

While defending Griffin no matter what is admirable it's still doing it with blinders on.

Enough, just stop it, please. The reason Griffin isn't meeting expectations is because they were unrealistically set and hyped by the same media that's ripping him apart for not meeting them. The biggest difference between RG3 and AP is that AP wasn't asked to run an offense as a second year player coming off reconstructive knee surgery.

Same team as last year with rookies in the secondary, the only reason we didn't see this coming is because we didn't want to...

EXACTLY.

I admit that I was just as guilty of this as anyone going into Week 1, but I was able to snap out of it seeing Griffin play.  The expectations that he would look the same this soon were ridiciulous, and it has nothing to do with Griffin as a player, or Shanahan as a coach. I am willing to bet anyone that Shanahan knew this too, and that it would take Griffin awhile to work his way back into form. That doesn't mean you don't play him. He has to play in order to get back into form. You can't work your way back by not working.

Half this fan base still seems to think RGIII's drop off is for other reasons that range anywhere from "He sucks" to "Playcalling" when to me it is as clear as day that the nature of the injury just merely means it will take TIME.  Unfortunately we don't have the defense of Seattle that can make up for a so-so offense while RGIII works his way back.  RGIII WAS the offense in 2013 (Yes, Morris too, but RGIII still drove the car and made things possible for Morris). So when the offense is so dependent on 1 guy to make it go due to a poor O-line.  If he isn't hitting on all cylinders it is going to domino effect. 

I know it's a hard pill for a lot of you to swallow, but Stephen A. Smith made so many valid points and I agree with pretty much everything he said. The biggest point being Griffin brought all of this on himself. Instead of just taking care of business he had to take the look at me approach during the offseason.

He also repeated what I've said several times before and that's Griffin is only a second year player and hasn't earned his stripes yet.

While defending Griffin no matter what is admirable it's still doing it with blinders on.

Please - RG is one of the most exciting players in this league. No matter what RG did or didn't do the media would have fawned over every word that RG spoke. Critiquing RG's technique and actions on the field is one thing questioning his actions off the field is another. The two are mutually exclusive.

RGIII damaged his ACL and LCL.  AP only tore his ACL and regardless, you don't just "come back" off a torn knee ligament period.

Please - RG is one of the most exciting players in this league. No matter what RG did or didn't do the media would have fawned over every word that RG spoke. Critiquing RG's technique and actions on the field is one thing questioning his actions off the field is another. The two are mutually exclusive.

Ha ha. You obviously don't know me pal. Just yesterday I commented on how much improved he looked on Sunday and believe he is going to do the same with each passing week. So for your information buddy I am separating his play from the off the field media circus. Got it?

Ha ha. You obviously don't know me pal. Just yesterday I commented on how much improved he looked on Sunday and believe he is going to do the same with each passing week. So for your information buddy I am separating his play from the off the field media circus. Got it?

You are a hoot. 

I'm sorry did ESPN put a gun to his head to do that special? Did Adidas force him into that awful all in for week 1 B.S? Why shouldn't I question his off-field actions he's not beyond reproach.

I'm sorry did ESPN put a gun to his head to do that special? Did Adidas force him into that awful all in for week 1 B.S? Why shouldn't I question his off-field actions he's not beyond reproach.

This is the truth that nobody wants to accept.  RGIII loves RGIII talk and you know it.  Now, obviously a high-profile QB going down with an ACL tear is going to create talk no matter what but did we hear a peep from Wilson or Luck this offseason, no.

No but he has every right to market himself ass he sees fit. Those productions have had no effect on the performance of the team thus far.

We have played like crap. RG's special and Addidias marketuing campaign are not at fault there. RG's performance and the performance of the team as a whole are at fault.

Commercials, marketing capmaigns, documentaries are not responsible for poor mechanics, over thrown receivers, missed tackles, no adjustements made on defense etc.

This is the truth that nobody wants to accept.  RGIII loves RGIII talk and you know it.  Now, obviously a high-profile QB going down with an ACL tear is going to create talk no matter what but did we hear a peep from Wilson or Luck this offseason, no.

The DC and east coast TV market is much larger than the Seattle and Indy TV market.

Compounding that we have one of the most exciting and engaging players in the NFL on our team.

Compounding that we have a storyline of RG's recovery being ran into the ground in the same manner that the Tebow storyline kept ESPN running for months and months.

There were/are no storylines to pursue with Wilson and Luck and their TV markets are nowhere near as large and influential as ours is. That's why we didn't hear anything about them.

Exactly.

I think he's a diva who loves attention. 

I know this organization is polarizing, but I love how Bill Belichick and Tom Brady conduct themselves in front of the cameras.  They completely tow the company line and never bring a lot of attention to themselves due to what they are saying. 

RG3, to me, is coddled.  He's a guy, to many, who can do no wrong. 

Exactly.

I think he's a diva who loves attention. 

I know this organization is polarizing, but I love how Bill Belichick and Tom Brady conduct themselves in front of the cameras.  They completely tow the company line and never bring a lot of attention to themselves due to what they are saying. 

RG3, to me, is coddled.  He's a guy, to many, who can do no wrong. 

The term diva is being thrown around pretty liberallly...

RG has every right to market himself and maximize his opportunity - this does not make him a diva.

RG articulated his desire to get back on the football field and compete - this does not make him a diva.

I fail to see how anything RG has done so far has made him a diva.

Archived