Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is the biggest lie being told going into the 2013 season?

zoony

Last year we got to read all about how Niles Paul was the second coming of Shannon Sharpe, and how Leonad Hankerson was going to continue on with his stats from the Dolphins game before he got injured. Also, Evan Royster was supposed to have a breakout year.

Meanwhile, we didnt read much about Garçon (except that we overpaid) or Morris (except that he's slow). And who predicted that Logan Paulsen would be our best TE? Nobody, that's who.

This year, I've read entirely too much about two unproven late round rookie safeties for my liking. But, I'm having trouble identifying a sleeper. Seems like Josh Morgan might be a pleasant surprise. We also might have signed a real upgrade at RT completely under the radar.

These aren't lies so much as results vs. expectations.

You're a ***ing genius. Post more

That's not's a sincere request so much as it is a sarcastic rebuke. :D

(p.s. I just found out that if you quote a filtered word, it "spells" the word out  :o so for now youse guys need to watch for that  :wacko: ).

The Biggest Lie will be that Orakpo is going to give the Redskins the pass rush they didn't have last year. 8 or 9 sacks is possible but its not that much difference.

Orakpo provides a lot more than sacks though.  He gets doubled teamed a lot, held a lot, and is just generally a disruptive force.  It hasn't translated to elite sack numbers, but it does make a large difference.  Best example is the pass rush following him going down, it fell off a cliff.  We finally managed to compensate a bit by year's end, but until the bye week our pass rush was one of the poorest in the league (23rd in sacks, 30th in pass defense).  By comparison, in 2011, we tied for 10th most sacks, and were 13th against the pass.

That stuff is tough to definitively prove as causal versus correlation, but having Orakpo out there does make a clear difference.

"Robert Griffin III played in a point-and-shoot, simple offense and he can't continue to play that style."

I've been cutting together these wide receiver videos together and it's only become more and more clear that this is just flat out wrong. It's a complete and utter falsehood used to knock RG3 and the read-option attack.

And there are still elements of this offense they haven't added yet. Teams were so scared of RG3 and Alfred that they vacated the middle and they attacked it again and again. They haven't even started to use the play action to attack deep down the field outside the numbers yet.

This offense is only going to get better.

To me it's "Hasslet defense will play lights out just like they did towards the end of last season" SMH This dude is not a very good D coordinator IMO... I mean how many times does the defense have to sit at the bottom of the Nfl before we figure this out

Zoony uses the word 'lie' and everyone goes for the off-the-field stuff, like Shannahan's intentions lol.   I think what this OP means is players themselves, more specifically, how history has shown when fans decide that a player will be great, he ends up being pretty much nothing.  Haynesworth, Jason Taylor, etc are the obvious examples, but that's different also.  Fans cling to the late round guys, or mid tier FA signing guys, and decide for all kinds of reasons (actually no reason whatsoever), that the guy will boom or bust.

The fact is, there are very, VERY few players that are so good, there's no question how they will play.  Fortunately we have one of them.

I think Rob Jackson fits in with Zoony's logic, along with Perry Riley.  We're not hearing much about it, but I think we could expect some great LB play from guys not named London Fletcher, or even those 2 bookends we have such high hopes for.  As much as the secondary struggled, linebacker play was downright solid.  Perhaps practicing vs RG3's offense will do that for you.

Yea, the big lie in this regard has to be these new secondary guys.  We're just so sure that some new guys will play better than last year's guys.  Well, all our guys weren't out there anyway, and a healthy merriwether is playing.  Tanard Jackson I have no idea.  Josh Wilson I really think is great, and doesn't get enough credit.  Perhaps he shows up, and the guys we drafted barely see the light of day.

Biggest untruth:  The Redskins will NEVER change the name. 

The term "never," as used in DC, has always turned out to mean "really soon."

edit: for typo

Hope you brought a sandwich with you while you wait for "really soon". :)

The biggest lie told last year, (and it was a doozy) was that Haslett was a dead man walking and Raheem Morris heir to the throne in 2013.  Hard to top that whopper!

This year (and the football year is still very young), I'll go with Shanahan will pick BPH early in the draft.  The logic was sound and I for one, bought into that philosphy hook, line and sinker. But at the end of the day that draft, starting with Amerson screamed "need" and I think they did a fantastic job!

Biggest Lies:

• I agree that the rookies won't save our secondary. I think (hope?) one emerges though.
  • Chris Thompson will take the offense to the next level. (We've had great coverage here on it, but I have a bad feeling the guy gets hurt again)
  • RG3 won't be ready for week 1 (to be fair, plenty of people and players think he will be ready)

Sleepers:

• Richard Crawford becomes a viable, even good, starter
  • Keenan Robinson steps in after an injury, and excels
  • Helu stays healthy and racks up all-purpose yards despite being a change of pace back

I fear the biggest lie of the season will be that London Fletcher can still hang with tight ends in pass coverage.

i love the guy, but i do not want to over-rely on him. TEs are a whole different monster nowadays, and they're being used more than ever.

It plays against the odds for tooooooo long.

~Bang

The biggest lie told last year, (and it was a doozy) was that Haslett was a dead man walking and Raheem Morris heir to the throne in 2013.  Hard to top that whopper!

Look for that lie to resurface as soon as Hazlett's D allows 21+ points in back to back weeks, esp if we have a losing record at the time.

Sadly, I think the biggest lie is Orakpo being healthy and poised for a huge year. Two tears in the same pectoral region in a push demand position like OLB is a recipe for disaster. I don't think there's enough rehab in the world that could have him close to pre injury effectiveness. I'm not an expert though and hope I am wrong.

That the OL is in shambles compared to the rest of the division.

Dallass just drafted a C w/ their 1st rd pick.

NYG drafted an OL to replace their aging lineman.

Philly has a new fastbreak offense and their best OL is coming back from back to back season ending injuries.

Archived