Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brian Orakpo: Current most over hyped Redskin? Or as good as advertised?

Gibbs Hog Heaven

How many of the people saying not to re-sign Orakpo realize that he had .5 sacks LESS then JJ Watt last year? Or had more sacks then Aldon Smith? Guys who generally are considered "better" pass rushers then Orakpo?

Also remember that Aldon Smith only played in 11 games this season.

I've always felt OVER HYPED. He had 1 or 2 good years then the injury bug hit. I also don't like it when a player does not work hard or is often injured and then his final year of his contract goes balls out and plays well. To me that's pure laziness until your final year just to get a better contract.

I'd probably only go 7 or 8 mill for Orakpo, but that's just me. Lets find another young talent to complement Kerrigan. Try for a NT, DB's, and WR in Free Agency. OL, WR, LB, DE and maybe a 3rd QB unless we trade Cousins which we will need to have another QB anyway.

Actually, I was reading an article, and wondering if putting the tag on him might not be a good idea, this year.

The big drawback with a franchise tag contract is that all of it hits the salary cap, that year.

But, that's also an advantage. "Everything hits this year" equals "No dead money, down the road".

Whereas, typical NFL back-loaded contracts cost practically nothing, first two years. But, at the expense, later on, of gigantic cap numbers, if you keep him, or merely huge numbers, if you cut him.

Because of the big bump from the End of Mara, we happen to have the room to absorb one or two contracts with real money, as opposed to "I'll count that money, down the road" money.

And, it seems to me, if we aren't sure we want to keep the guy, long term, then a one year franchise tender gives us the option of giving the guy a traditional, back-loaded contract, next year.

(BTW, case y'all can't tell, I'm one of the folks thinking that he's a "keeper". One of the (few) pluses on our D).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/express/wp/2014/02/03/redskins-top-offseason-priority-is-re-signing-orakpo/

Orakpo is a three-time Pro Bowler since he was selected 13th overall in 2009. He is the heart of the team, not London Fletcher or Robert Griffin III. You want a warrior in the locker room — that’s Orakpo.

Orakpo would cost perhaps a third of the Redskins’ free agent budget, but he’s worth it. The defense needs a core player, and Orakpo is it. At 27, he’s in his prime. Keeping the outside pass rusher means Washington has a playmaker on one side with the improving Ryan Kerrigan on the other. They’re remindful of defensive ends Dexter Manley and Charles Mann in the 1980s, who together were the best tandem in the game.

The big question for me is, if we franchise Orakpo for $10m, would another team offer us a 1st round pick for him? If the answer is no then from my point of view he's not worth a top 5 OLB contract.

No. Too many injury concerns. Had Orakpo gotten through the season with no problems, and produced the whole season like he did in that 5-6 game stretch, we probably could get a 1st rounder for him. But not with the injury concerns and his disappearing act

I think the Paul Kruger lack of production will hurt Orakpo getting a big contract. Also he is not a consistent dominator like ware in his prime. I think he could be purchased for 5 to 6 mil per year. At 11 mil per year we are better to use that money on alex mack and brandon albert imo

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/feb/4/bruce-allen-redskins-have-started-talks-agents-ora/

Bruce Allen said Tuesday that the Washington Redskins have begun contract talks with the representatives of three players — outside linebackericon1.png Brian Orakpo, inside linebacker Perry Riley and cornerback DeAngelo Hall — before they become free agents when the league year begins in March.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/feb/4/bruce-allen-redskins-have-started-talks-agents-ora/

Bruce Allen said Tuesday that the Washington Redskins have begun contract talks with the representatives of three players — outside linebackericon1.png Brian Orakpo, inside linebacker Perry Riley and cornerback DeAngelo Hall — before they become free agents when the league year begins in March.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/feb/4/bruce-allen-redskins-have-started-talks-agents-ora/#ixzz2sPvaWPJW

Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

I'm kinda hoping we let riley go. He made some good plays here and there but he was well below average as an ilb. It might be hard to replace two ilb in one offseason but both of ours need to be replaced.

Also wouldn't overpay for hall. People remember the big plays he made but he's not a shutdown corner. There's a reason no team wanted him last year, and he's almost on the wrong side of 30.

I just don't see us signing him for 1/3 of our cap. I'm a bit out of the loop on cap projections, but aren't we supposed to have something like $40M once all the releases/restructures/contracts come off the books? A third of that is roughly $13M. If he demands that much, it's probably time to let him see if he can get it elsewhere. If not, and we gave him a solid offer and he wants to re-sign here, then awesome. But for $13M we could a couple areas of need.

And again, this is coming from one of Rak's most staunch supporters.

I'm kinda hoping we let riley go. He made some good plays here and there but he was well below average as an ilb. It might be hard to replace two ilb in one offseason but both of ours need to be replaced.

Also wouldn't overpay for hall. People remember the big plays he made but he's not a shutdown corner. There's a reason no team wanted him last year, and he's almost on the wrong side of 30.

Riley is solid and we have no one else who is remotely starter-quality on the roster.  Finding two starters in FA is just too much.

If the demands got up to $13 million a year then you franchise him, no harm no foul and work on the long term extension in the off season. You don't let him walk just because and really when you can fit the franchise tag comfortably under the cap then it is a no brainier rather than sending out the wrong messages by letting him hit FA unrestrained . It is very innocent to think his agents have not had hypothetical conversations with other teams to establish a market worth  .

I still love the fact that 10+ million is too much to spend on our OLB/DE pass rusher but it is not to much to spend on a FA C like Alex Mac . If we ever want to be more than a collection of players we cannot simply keep being a farm team for other teams players, build through the draft, retain the talent and add to it with developing players in FA .. we need to stop trying to find the finished product on the open market because if they are that good then their existing teams will do all they can to keep them ...

I think the Paul Kruger lack of production will hurt Orakpo getting a big contract. Also he is not a consistent dominator like ware in his prime. I think he could be purchased for 5 to 6 mil per year. At 11 mil per year we are better to use that money on alex mack and brandon albert imo

HAHA!

I feel its common knowledge that part of Rak being one dimensional was at its core, Hasletts top priority of stopping the run first and foremost.

That said. I do feel Rak could have shown more moves, an minimum taken some reps vs the RT, spin move or stunt etc. But we do not know what is asked of him. 

Two problems I have with resigning him for a kings ransom is that we may not use him to his strengths since Haslett was retained, and.... the only time we made the playoffs in his tenure was when he was out injured. 

I do think we are a better team with him but want him used differently if retained. 

The guy is a force to be reckoned with, but his moves/usage is limited and is thus easy to game plan for.

A big part of next year is going to be the relationship of Haslett and Gruden, and the overall approach on defense. I do not see Gruden as meddling but hope he does helps Haslett see his weaknesses. Like, that first play vs the Bengals game. 

Archived