Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brian Orakpo: Current most over hyped Redskin? Or as good as advertised?

Gibbs Hog Heaven

Which I dont think is worth it. Would be around 9 million dollars. I would take 7 other OLBs over Orakpo. We can get much better value out of a 3rd round Comp pick + Jackson.

Franchise tag isn't always about the value of that contract.  I would take quite a few OLB's over Orakpo as well, and it's discouraging to know that our defense did not improve with him in over Jackson from last year, but I hope to have a new d coordinator and a more attacking scheme.  Orakpo becomes a lot more valuable when he's rushing the passer 90% of the snaps.

I wouldn't mind the comp pick either, especially if we thought Jenkins could rush well (I don't think Jackson is the answer as a full-time rusher), as we have a lot of holes to fill and you can find some solid immediate starters for linebackers or interior linemen in the 3rd.

Which I dont think is worth it. Would be around 9 million dollars. I would take 7 other OLBs over Orakpo. We can get much better value out of a 3rd round Comp pick + Jackson.

It's worth it for one season to see if Orakpo can put it together for a whole season.

Are you and 98ORAKPO98 part of his family or something? lol jk but still!

He's been one of the biggest opposers to Rak being re-signed up until that run. I realize you see the sig and assume, and LB and I have been at odds about this situation, but the fact he changed his mind says a lot. 

Now that we know Shanahan is gone, here's my opinion on Orakpo, especially regarding his comments on testing free agency:

I don't blame him for wanting to test the free agent market. It's smart on his end for personal reasons and you can't fault him for that. But, given that he wants to test, I'd pull a Baltimore Ravens with him. Tell Rak, "Hey, I know you want to test and we respect that, but do us a favor... Give us an opportunity to match or better any deal that's on the table".

But there's a precursor to that, and this is important for everyone to read before you start in on me: If the new defensive coordinator doesn't feel Rak has a place in his system, then Rak needs to be allowed to leave. Period.

Now that the season is over I still stand pat. At a reasonable price? Keep him. "Elite" money? Hell no.

The amount of holes we have on defense much of the cap is going to be allocated to that side of the ball. 'Rak doesn't make that big of an impact IMO to tie up that much money into him. With Fletch now gone we are going to need another LB to the mix.

We need the following on defense:

Both safety positions.

Possibly TWO new corners.

LB(s)

DL'men (How many????)

So literally every level of the defense needs additions. Couple that with the genuine concern to 'Rak is becoming injury prone leads to my opinion that I'll take it or leave it when it comes to 'Rak. No agenda. No bias. Just taking a look at the big picture and what is best for the team as a whole.

If some idiot teams gives him Mario Williams money let him walk. I think with his injury history he will only be offered a 1 or 2 year deal anyway at like 5 mil per year.

Greg Hardy (Panthers DE) will hit the lottery this off season. Orakpo will get a nice 2 year 8 mil total 4 mil per year type contract (with 5.5 mil guaranteed)

If some idiot teams gives him Mario Williams money let him walk. I think with his injury history he will only be offered a 1 or 2 year deal anyway at like 5 mil per year.

Greg Hardy (Panthers DE) will hit the lottery this off season. Orakpo will get a nice 2 year 8 mil total 4 mil per year type contract (with 5.5 mil guaranteed)

We're actually in the driver seat with Rak. If the DC wants him, he'll have him for at least a year. We have no one else to use the tag on, and this is the year to do it with all of our cap space. So we're in a good place with Orakpo, and he'll be here next year if our new staff feels he's a schematic fit. Beyond next year? Who knows.

• 3 weeks later...

We're actually in the driver seat with Rak. If the DC wants him, he'll have him for at least a year. We have no one else to use the tag on, and this is the year to do it with all of our cap space. So we're in a good place with Orakpo, and he'll be here next year if our new staff feels he's a schematic fit. Beyond next year? Who knows.

Well, looking like our new staff is exactly the same as our old staff. I, for one, was hoping to franchise orakpo and see how he looks in a different system. This is just disappointing on the coordinator part. I think a guy like van noy in the draft is a better schematic fit. Perhaps our best option is to just give him a deal and hope the next dc in a year or two will use him better. ****ty waste of a career by having a dc misuse him for 5-6 years of his prime.

You can't tag him at $10M. That eats up 30% of our cap space.

I was talking about our available cap space. We have $30-40M in cap space. A tag worth $10M eats up ~30% of that  cap space.

Ahh got it.

You also need to factor in the cap space that his current contract takes up. I'm not sure what his 2013 number was, but let's say it was $ 4 M. Even if they had to franchise him the additional cap hit is "only" $ 6 M, not the full $ 10 M.

Per Bobby Peppers...

4. Brian Orakpo, OLB, Washington Redskins: The Redskins were a mess on defense last season even though Orakpo had 10 sacks while placing fourth in the Pro Football Focus rankings for 3-4 outside linebackers. Teams need at least two top pass-rushers to excel; Orakpo gives the Redskins one. Ryan Kerrigan isn't bad, either, but Orakpo is the one Washington can least afford to lose. "Kerrigan can win against mediocre tackles," one of the GMs said. "Orakpo can win against anybody."

This makes me laugh.  Orakpo isn't just valuable to us, he's one of the best 3-4 OLBs in the entire league.  If we won't, some team will pay top dollar for him.  It's important to get him locked up early otherwise there will be a bidding war for him.

Per Bobby Peppers...

4. Brian Orakpo, OLB, Washington Redskins: The Redskins were a mess on defense last season even though Orakpo had 10 sacks while placing fourth in the Pro Football Focus rankings for 3-4 outside linebackers. Teams need at least two top pass-rushers to excel; Orakpo gives the Redskins one. Ryan Kerrigan isn't bad, either, but Orakpo is the one Washington can least afford to lose. "Kerrigan can win against mediocre tackles," one of the GMs said. "Orakpo can win against anybody."

Can or can't?

Why Re-Signing Brian Orakpo Should Be Top Priority for the Redskins Offseason

http://www.hogshaven.com/2013/12/6/5183514/why-re-signing-brian-orakpo-should-be-top-priority-for-the-redskins

Total: 1,475 pass rush attempts, 39 sacks for a sack rate of 2.6%

Now that sounds awful but consider the following:

DeMarcus Ware (2009-2012)- 1,995 pass rush attempts,  60 sacks, for a sack rate of 3.1%

Terrell Suggs (2009-2011, 2013)- 1,883 pass rush attempts, 39 sacks, for a sack rate of 2.1%

Tamba Hali (2009-2012) - 1,856 pass rush attempts, 48 sacks, for a sack rate of 2.6%

Jared Allen (2009-2012) - 2,381 pass rush attempts, 60 sacks, for a sack rate of 2.5%

Clay Matthews Jr (2009-2012) - 1,675 pass rush attempts, 43 sacks,  for a sack rate of 2.6%

Cameron Wake (2010-2013) - 1,799 pass rush attempts, 49 sacks, for a sack rate of 2.7%

Chris Long (2010-2013) - 2,038 pass rush attempts, 41 sacks, for a sack rate of 2.0%

Elvis Dumervil (2009, 2011-2013) - 1,707 pass rush attempts, 52 sacks, for a sack rate of 3.0%

Mario Williams (2009-2010, 2012-2013) - 2,015 pass rush attempts, 45 sacks, for a sack rate of 2.2%

Ryan Kerrigan (2011-2013) - 1,380 pass rush attempts, 25 sacks, for a sack rate of 1.8%

That is a sampling of the best pass rushers in the NFL over the last 5 seasons (taking only 4 seasons to account for any missed years, which almost all of the rushers had one of), and Brian Orakpo is right at the top of that group on a per pass rush basis (which is what really matters). These are the premier pass rushers in the NFL, most of whom have had at least one 15 sack or more season, yet Orakpo is right in the midst of them. Though it's not broken down, Orakpo probably more than any other rusher on this list has faced off with team's left tackles for a higher percentage of rushes. Many of these other top rushers will move around more and see at least 20% of their rushes come against right tackles.

What is your take on #98, should he be retained?

I'd like to keep him, but I have a feeling the market will set the price too high. I think he's a luxury for a team with many larger concerns, if he is priced out of our range. I like Orakpo but don't ever see him being elite without an unrealistic jump in his play.

I'd like to keep him, but I have a feeling the market will set the price too high. I think he's a luxury for a team with many larger concerns, if he is priced out of our range. I like Orakpo but don't ever see him being elite without an unrealistic jump in his play.

May I suggest you read the piece I just posted above from Hogs Haven.

May I suggest you read the piece I just posted above from Hogs Haven.

I've read it, but like most statistics those need context---and having seen every snap of Orakpo's career multiple times, I can tell you that he often accumulates his sacks in bunches against weak OL, and rarely makes a tangible impact in important games or in big situations. He's generally not a playmaker, and as I've told you before, there's one instance of his pass-rushing ability manifesting itself in a big situation that I can ever think of--when he was held against Dallas week one of Shanahan's first season here, at the very end of the game, and the holding penalty negated a TD pass as time expired.

Per Bobby Peppers...

Ehh, I dunno about this one. What elite tackles has Orakpo really ever had great games against? He seems to get shut down by them more often than not.

Archived