Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brian Orakpo: Current most over hyped Redskin? Or as good as advertised?

Gibbs Hog Heaven

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4720903/tyron-smith-with-chance-challenge

Smith has given up just one sack this season after giving up three last season in his move to left tackle. 

I believe Clay Matthews got his half a sack last week against Smith making that now 1.5 sacks that Smith has given up.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2013/12/matchup-to-watch-dallas-cowboys-de-demarcus-ware-vs-washington-redskins-lt-trent-williams.html/

Ware will face off against Redskins left tackle Trent Williams, who will protect Kirk Cousins’ blindside. This year Williams has been inconsistent. He has surrendered 9 ½ sacks, the highest number during a season since he was a rookie in 2010. He has also committed four penalties.

"Also, Rak was dropping into coverage and playing contain most of the time he was in the game"

Point being, it's going to be hard for Orakpo to get a sack going up against the best left tackle in the NFL when he's only rushing half the time and dropping into coverage the other half, and also him only playing for 3 quarters this game before getting hurt. I guarantee you if Orakpo was in the game in the 4th quarter, there would have been a much better pass rush late in the game.

Orakpo is by far the Redskins best defensive player

First it was Rak dropping into coverage and playing contain MOST of the the time.  Then when that didn't work you changed it dropping into coverage half and rushing only HALF the time.  Quite a big difference between most and half but you are getting closer to the reality.

I am sure that everyone agrees with you however that it would be tough for Orakpo to get a sack going up against a great left tackle as he is best suited to performing against backup caliber players.

And for the sake of your argument -  IF Orakpo is the best player on the Skin's awful defense (D Hall says hello) - a defense that is a bottom level defense once again this year despite Orakpo healthy and playing for most of the Skins' 15 games, then how impactful has his play been?

Kind of like saying Niles Paul or Reed Doughty is the best cover man on a terrible special teams unit.

Most backers of Orakpo unequivocally felt his return would have a significant impact on the defense but the facts don't lie - the defense stinks whether or not Orakpo is on the field.

Orakpo has had a decent season and finished strong which is encouraging.  Nowhere in the stratosphere of his big talk before the season of contending for Comeback POY and DPOY of course.  Nowhere close to being an All Pro even.  

A solid player with flashes of brilliance, more often than not against mediocre opposition.  A player with little production throughout his career in big games.  A player worth a decent contract and nothing more...

Tyron Smith is probably the best left tackle in all of football, he has given up only 1.5 sacks all year long, far better than our left tackle who has given up 9.5 sacks this year. Point being, it's going to be hard for Orakpo to get a sack going up against the best left tackle in the NFL when he's only rushing half the time and dropping into coverage the other half, and also him only playing for 3 quarters this game before getting hurt. I guarantee you if Orakpo was in the game in the 4th quarter, there would have been a much better pass rush late in the game.

Orakpo is by far the Redskins best defensive player.

Dude, please. You, and Orakpo, put him/ himself up as a premier pass rushing end. Today was another example of how he's FAR from that,. He's good on his day. But his day's are few and far between over his career. 

Smith owned him most all day long. Like the rest of our D front, he got nowhere near Romo enough times to have much of any effect on the game. Forget sacks. Romo was barely touched when it mattered. Elite players get pressure. He doesn't 9 times out of 10 WHEN it matters. And scheme doesn't excuse that given he's this superduper elite talent that you've spent all year screaming at us. 

If you want to pay him $ 10 million plus your handicapping our next HC and GM in roster moves when his play doesn't live upto that. 

Yes, given the last month, he arguably has been our best player on defense this season. There's only Hall early, and Baker who quietly has developed into a very promising, disruptive force that come out with much overall credit on defense for me this season. 

Saying Orakpo is the best of a VERY bad bunch is not saying much of anything in his favour. 

Hail. 

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/4141/page/rapidreaction/rapid-reaction-washington-redskins-11

The defense, minus Brian Orakpo, didn’t apply enough pressure, giving quarterback Tony Romo way too much time. It led directly to two touchdown passes. 

So does anyone know how 'Rak is and if his injury is serious? Was it a groin?

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/talk/orakpo-injures-groin-against-cowboys

Redskins linebacker Brian Orakpo suffered a strained right groin muscle in the fourth quarter of Sunday’s 24-23 loss to the Cowboys.

Orakpo did not return to the game and declined to speak to reporters before walking out of the locker room. He did not appear to be limping. Orakpo did, however, tell a teammate that he does not believe the injury is serious.

First it was Rak dropping into coverage and playing contain MOST of the the time.  Then when that didn't work you changed it dropping into coverage half and rushing only HALF the time.  Quite a big difference between most and half but you are getting closer to the reality.

I am sure that everyone agrees with you however that it would be tough for Orakpo to get a sack going up against a great left tackle as he is best suited to performing against backup caliber players.

And for the sake of your argument -  IF Orakpo is the best player on the Skin's awful defense (D Hall says hello) - a defense that is a bottom level defense once again this year despite Orakpo healthy and playing for most of the Skins' 15 games, then how impactful has his play been?

Kind of like saying Niles Paul or Reed Doughty is the best cover man on a terrible special teams unit.

Most backers of Orakpo unequivocally felt his return would have a significant impact on the defense but the facts don't lie - the defense stinks whether or not Orakpo is on the field.

Orakpo has had a decent season and finished strong which is encouraging.  Nowhere in the stratosphere of his big talk before the season of contending for Comeback POY and DPOY of course.  Nowhere close to being an All Pro even.  

A solid player with flashes of brilliance, more often than not against mediocre opposition.  A player with little production throughout his career in big games.  A player worth a decent contract and nothing more...

Most, half, doesn't matter, point being Orakpo should be RUSHING the passer, not dropping into coverage.

I don't expect Orakpo to get a sack going up against the best left tackle in the NFL only rushing half the time on a slick wet field making it hard to get his footing, also he WAS double teamed and chipped quite often today, as well as only playing in 3 quarters of action which obviously isn't an entire game to get more stats. All this sounds like excuses, but the are damn good ones.  ;)

Kind of like how the Vikings defense stinks even with Jared Allen, the Bears defense stinks the Julius Peppers, and the Cowboys defense stinks with DeMarcus Ware. Guess what? Those defenses would stink a hell of a lot worse without those guys. 1 player cannot do everything, it takes to 11 to play solid defense, I know that might blow your mind, but it's true.

Orakpo has had a great season and deserves to be considered as a second team all pro, and for sure should be a pro bowler.

A dominant player worth a fair contract, somewhere in the range of a Clay Matthews type deal.

Rob Jackson beat Smith and almost got a sack.... :P

A lucky spin move that caught Smith off guard, Jackson didn't sniff Romo after that and was a huge liability rushing the passer the rest of the game, which is a major contributor as to why we lost the game.

Also, Orakpo beat Smith good on one play on an inside move and almost got a sack on Romo.

I think it all depends on what rak wants. If he really loves this team, he will do a team friendly deal. If not, and he wants to chase the money, we would be dumb to try and outbid other teams for his services. Best case scenario would be to maybe franchise tag him, and look to see if we can trade him if he wants too much. You definitely don't let a player like orakpo just walk without anything in return though.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CDgQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsportsillustrated.cnn.com%2Fnfl%2Fnews%2F20130731%2Fbrian-orakpo-washington-redskins-training-camp%2F&ei=NnW3UvbAKeGW2QXk-oCIBw&usg=AFQjCNFRx0F5NAxHRQfkAKqJoYNyQipu3g&sig2=6I0gne0CJRpQzmMGMLv_1A

Best part of the article was the readiness of Jim Haslett to admit Orakpo should be producing at a much higher level than he has for his entire career --- 

A healthy Orakpo should greatly boost the Redskins' so-so pass rush. The team's 2009 first-round pick, a 4-3 defensive end in college, Orakpo totaled 28.5 sacks in his first three full NFL seasons,---

Washington defensive coordinator Jim Haslett believes the guy everyone calls "Rak'' has the potential to rack up a 17- or 18-sack season.

"If he puts his mind to it, he could get that easily,'' Haslett said.

This is also the article where Orakpo talks about being a contender for Comeback POY and DPOY which of course came nowhere close to happening.

Jim Haslett had to be honest and tell everyone Orakpo has tons of ability and could EASILY produce at an elite level.  

Unfortunately Orakpo is about to finish yet another season with most of his better games coming against mediocre opposition and as one of the "best" players on a terrible defense.

Hard to be Orakpo and his agent at the bargaining table - when his healthy return to a terrible defense resulted in another year of terrible defense.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CDgQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsportsillustrated.cnn.com%2Fnfl%2Fnews%2F20130731%2Fbrian-orakpo-washington-redskins-training-camp%2F&ei=NnW3UvbAKeGW2QXk-oCIBw&usg=AFQjCNFRx0F5NAxHRQfkAKqJoYNyQipu3g&sig2=6I0gne0CJRpQzmMGMLv_1A

Best part of the article was the readiness of Jim Haslett to admit Orakpo should be producing at a much higher level than he has for his entire career ---

This is also the article where Orakpo talks about being a contender for Comeback POY and DPOY which of course came nowhere close to happening.

Jim Haslett had to be honest and tell everyone Orakpo has tons of ability and could EASILY produce at an elite level.

Unfortunately Orakpo is about to finish yet another season with most of his better games coming against mediocre opposition and as one of the "best" players on a terrible defense.

Hard to be Orakpo and his agent at the bargaining table - when his healthy return to a terrible defense resulted in another year of terrible defense.

I wish Orakpo had a few lucky moves beyond the predictable speed rush on the edge. I personally feel Rob Jackson has more of an impact in the clutch in far fewer opportunities.

Dude, please. You, and Orakpo, put him/ himself up as a premier pass rushing end. Today was another example of how he's FAR from that,. He's good on his day. But his day's are few and far between over his career. 

Smith owned him most all day long. Like the rest of our D front, he got nowhere near Romo enough times to have much of any effect on the game. Forget sacks. Romo was barely touched when it mattered. Elite players get pressure. He doesn't 9 times out of 10 WHEN it matters. And scheme doesn't excuse that given he's this superduper elite talent that you've spent all year screaming at us. 

If you want to pay him $ 10 million plus your handicapping our next HC and GM in roster moves when his play doesn't live upto that. 

Yes, given the last month, he arguably has been our best player on defense this season. There's only Hall early, and Baker who quietly has developed into a very promising, disruptive force that come out with much overall credit on defense for me this season. 

Saying Orakpo is the best of a VERY bad bunch is not saying much of anything in his favour. 

Hail. 

Paying a pass rusher like Orakpo 10 million a year to keep him here is what a franchise that wants to win will do. Letting him walk will be of losing mentality, just look at the fourth quarter of today's game without him in the game. If the Redskins don't resign Orakpo, and don't trade for / sign / trade for someone who can rush the passer, I for one won't watch them until they do. I don't want to watch a loser franchise that doesn't have the intelligence to understand you have to be able to rush the passer in order to win in today's NFL.

I'm willing to bet Danny boy is a little smarter than that though.

Great players don't need excuses. ^_^

Change that, they're not excuses, they're facts.  :)

Orakpo has had a great season and deserves to be considered as a second team all pro, and for sure should be a pro bowler.

Orakpo has as much chance of being Second Team All Pro as being Comeback POY or DPOY which means he has zero chance.

Pro Bowler sure that is possible especially as an alternate if other players are injured or pull out of the game.

If Orakpo has reasonable contract demands based on his level of play and overall contribution to the Skin's defense then bringing him back is a worthwhile option.  Hopefully the upcoming offseason moves will improve the defense and help Orakpo take the next step to an elite level pass rusher if he returns...

I'm late to this debate but as far as today goes, I saw decent pressure on Romo much of the game, forcing him to make EXCELLENT plays to beat our defense. Some of this decent pressure was due to Orakpo, himself and some of it was due to fact he was merely a presence on the field. Then he injures his groin, leaves that game and suddenly the pass-rush got stuffed, leaving Romo all day to find someone open and drive 87 some yards for the game-winning TD when this defense NEEDED a stop most.

This observation leaves me with two conclusions:

1) Orakpo is vital to this defense either because he is creating havoc himself, or because he is garnering so much attention that other members of the front seven can make a play (Kerrigan for example)

2) Can Orakpo be trusted to stay on the field? Im sorry, but as great a player as Rak is, he obviously (to me) MUST be on the field for this defense to have a hope and if he can't stay healthy, this fear will hurt his value as a free agent.

All this leads me to think the Redskins will resign him and that would make this fan very pleased. I think the powers that be in the front office realize how important Rak is to this (or any) defense and his health history will only help their attempts to resign him. My 2 cents.

Man why couldn't we have drafted Robert Quinn to pair with Orakpo. Quinn had 3 sacks today and now has 18 on the year which leads the NFL, he is only 23 years old and is going to be dominant for years to come. I wanted Quinn bad but was satisfied with Kerrigan, but now I wish we would have actually gotten Quinn.

Man why couldn't we have drafted Robert Quinn to pair with Orakpo. Quinn had 3 sacks today and now has 18 on the year which leads the NFL, he is only 23 years old and is going to be dominant for years to come. I wanted Quinn bad but was satisfied with Kerrigan, but now I wish we would have actually gotten Quinn.

Serious question: Would you consider Robert Quinn a better pass rusher than Rak?

Serious question: Would you consider Robert Quinn a better pass rusher than Rak?

Serious answer, I don't know. From what I've seen of Quinn, he fakes to the outside and then cuts back inside on his pass rushes a lot, I think he probably doesn't have the same contain responsibilities the majority of the time like Orakpo does. Also, Quinn gets to rush every down, if Orakpo played in a different scheme, he could put up just as good of numbers as Quinn I believe. I could be wrong though, who knows. I just hope we resign Rak and get a new DC in here that knows how to use him properly.

I think it's naive to believe that Quinn could have adapted to play OLB in the 3-4. Orakpo has struggled and Quinn's game is similar to Orakpo's.

Rak was playing a great game yesterday, until the field took him out. Damn we need to fix that PoS.

Rak was playing a great game yesterday, until the field took him out. Damn we need to fix that PoS.

We've been saying this for five years. Snyder has put money in to the field. I just don't think he's put enough. Injuries happen, but it always seems like the field looks terrible.

8 career games vs Dallas over 5 seasons. Doesn't have a single sack.

Sacks aren't everything, Orakpo makes an impact even when he does not register a sack. But he did end the game against the Cowgirls back in 2010 I believe when he was held at the end of the game, he would have had a sack if it wasn't for the hold.

In this below clip, it shows Orakpo would have clearly had a sack this season against the Cowgirls in our first meeting with them, but alas he was held yet again with no call by the crappy officials... I'm sure there are other plays like this against the Cowgirls over the years that I can't remember at this time.

Sacks aren't everything, Orakpo makes an impact even when he does not register a sack. But he did end the game against the Cowgirls back in 2010 I believe when he was held at the end of the game, he would have had a sack if it wasn't for the hold.

In this below clip, it shows Orakpo would have clearly had a sack this season against the Cowgirls in our first meeting with them, but alas he was held yet again with no call by the crappy officials... I'm sure there are other plays like this against the Cowgirls over the years that I can't remember at this time.

Damn dude, it is wild the lengths you will go to to defend Orakpo, up to an including denigrating the play of other Skins (Rob Jackson just got a "lucky" spin move).

Doc Walker practically neutered Orakpo on the radio this morning. Just to recap:

- Redskins have "little pass rush when he's in and none when he's out"

- Rak gets his sacks versus scrubs but when the game is on the line or playing an NFC East foe he disapears

- tired of hearing about Rak's skill set when you only see one move (bull rush) with no progress

Doc was heated.

Doc Walker practically neutered Orakpo on the radio this morning. Just to recap:

- Redskins have "little pass rush when he's in and none when he's out"

- Rak gets his sacks versus scrubs but when the game is on the line or playing an NFC East foe he disapears

- tired of hearing about Rak's skill set when you only see one move (bull rush) with no progress

Doc was heated.

Thanks for recap I was wondering what was said. Heard references on twitter

Archived