Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brian Orakpo: Current most over hyped Redskin? Or as good as advertised?

Gibbs Hog Heaven

A few months back, there was a report about him dealing with a meniscus injury, but he, nor the team has ever brought it up, and he's never been on the injury report.

More or less this.  I know Mario Williams was dealing with plantar fasciitis his whole rookie season, but it almost never got mentioned.  Pundits typically just ran with he's underperforming and a complete bust.  It's not too uncommon for injuries to go unmentioned in the nfl.  If you'll remember he was knocked out of a game briefly earlier in the year, and from what I recall that was what injured him.

Definitely overrated after seeing him get handled by a scrub like Tyron Smith.

Franchising him means we pay him top 5 money for next season.  Not worth it.

That's true it's top 5 money but it ties no future salary cap to him at all and carries no risk if he gets hurt.  Honestly, if the tag doesn't affect our ability to make the moves we want to in FA then there's no reason not to franchise him.  It's committing to paying him at that level over multiple years that becomes a problem.  Like others I think he's a solid player and someone you'd like to keep but he's not elite by any stretch and shouldn't be paid as such.....on a long term contract.  I have no problem giving him another year on the franchise tag, particularly with the cap room available this offseason.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/multimedia/videos/Know-The-Enemy-Film-Breakdown-On-Brian-Orakpo-/e179195e-a130-4f5e-a91b-97cd73ad78a5 Orakpo showcasing his rip move and bull rush move here

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/0ap2000000291464/Redskins-defense-sack-8-yd-loss Orakpo showcasing his inside move here

http://www.hogshaven.com/2013/12/19/5222736/hazards-huddle-brian-orakpo-vs-atlanta-falcons-2nd-half Example given of Orakpo and his use of the swim move that he has here

http://www.hogshaven.com/2013/12/18/5222590/hazards-huddle-brian-orakpo-vs-falcons-1st-half Orakpo showcasing his football awareness, instincts, coverage ability, and run stopping ability in these examples here

Orakpo showcasing his swim again here in a pass rush drill vs. Trent Williams at Redskins training camp, clip is at the end of the video

As we can see, it is a myth and flat out baloney that Orakpo is purely a bull rush pass rusher who can't do anything besides rush the passer with a bull rush move. He can cover, he can stop the run, and he can get to the QB with a variety of pass rush moves.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/12/24/pff-pro-bowl-team-2014/2/ PFF's Pro Bowl outside linebackers

Outside Linebacker: Lavonte David (TB), Justin Houston (KC), Robert Mathis (IND) and Vontaze Burfict (CIN)

Backups: Brian Orakpo (WAS) and Thomas Davis (CAR)

We considered Elvis Dumervil, but given he’s a purely situational player we went in a different direction, instead trying to balance out with three 4-3 guys and three 3-4 ones. That meant the pass rushing terrors of Houston, Mathis and Orakpo got the nod while it wasn’t difficult picking David, Davis or Burfict. Granted it would have been easier if Burfict wasn’t flagged 12 times but we digress.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/12/09/refo-chiefs-redskins-week-14/

He was a handful for Washington defenders when he was on the field throughout, but watch what he does on 1st-and-10 1:22 left in the third quarter. Cutting past, and running through, four attempted tackles, he raced downfield for a 33-yard gain, with only a chasing Brian Orakpo stopping him from taking it the distance.

Brian Orakpo

If there was a bright spot for Washington against the Chiefs, it was the play of outside linebacker Brian Orakpo (+2.7) who was one of just four Redskins’ defenders to finish the game with a positive grade. With just 14 pass rushing opportunities he was able to register a hit and a hurry, not earth-shattering but certainly not bad given the lack of opportunities he had, however it was against the run where he really stood out. With four of his six tackles resulting in a defensive stop, the former first-round draft pick came away with a stellar Run Stop Percentage of 11.1%, with the highlight being beating the lead block of Anthony Sherman on 2nd-and-10 with 13:41 left in the third quarter to record a tackle for no gain.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/12/02/refo-giants-redskins-week-13-2/

Beastly Brian

While all the plaudits post-match were on Justin Tuck, I couldn’t help but feel sorry for Brian Orakpo (+6.5) who delivered his best performance of the year. It didn’t take him long to work over Will Beatty, beating him on his inside shoulder for a sack on the Giants’ first passing play. He followed that up with another sack when he again worked on his inside shoulder, while also picking up a hurry on his outside and drawing a flag (Q2, 5:46) after beating him again. His two sacks and one hurry numbers aren’t sexy, but the quality of them are mighty impressive. Couple that with some excellent work in the run game where the Giants tried to get Brandon Myers to slow him down, and you had the kind of all-around game that will likely earn him Team of the Week honors.

Yes PFF, Brian is rather Beastly. :)

Vote Brian Orakpo To 2014 NFL Pro Bowl

http://blog.redskins.com/2013/12/13/vote-brian-orakpo-to-2014-nfl-pro-bowl/

More or less this.  I know Mario Williams was dealing with plantar fasciitis his whole rookie season, but it almost never got mentioned.  Pundits typically just ran with he's underperforming and a complete bust.  It's not too uncommon for injuries to go unmentioned in the nfl.  If you'll remember he was knocked out of a game briefly earlier in the year, and from what I recall that was what injured him.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/102510/friday-conversation-ryan-kerrigan

Forgot to ask: How’s your knee?

Kerrigan: It’s good. It bothered me a little bit here and there but overall it hasn’t been much of a problem. I’m not really limited.

And something I hadn't considered before is that if we let him go we'll likely get a 3rd round compensatory pick, which wouldn't be awful if we trust in jackson or Jenkins.

We don't.

To what do you attribute Tyron Smith being able to stop Orakpo cold without help?

Orakpo had a couple of good pass rushes throughout the game when he actually was rushing the passer and not dropping into coverage which he does far more than most dominant edge rushers in the NFL. But to your point, I attribute it to a combination of the field conditions and field itself being horrible making it hard for pass rushers to get good traction and therefore slowing Orakpo down. I also attribute Smith stopping Orakpo on most snaps because Smith is a Monster at left tackle for the Cowboys and one of the best if not the best left tackle in all of football this year, he's only given up 1.5 sacks all year long.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-BryanBroaddusBlog/Matchups-Revisited-Smith-Dominated-Peppers-CB-Setback/9fd2216c-228c-4393-946d-9b9377ab3e89

It was once again an outstanding outing for Tyron Smith against one of the special defensive ends to play in the NFL in Julius Peppers. It did not matter whether it was in the running or passing game, Smith was more than up to the challenge and it was clear very early that despite all the skill that Peppers processes, Smith was not going to let him have an inch in this match up. Smith was able to combat all of Peppers moves with solid technique and balance. Smith never looked uncomfortable in this match up or did he appear to let Peppers put him in any bad spots.  Peppers really struggled with Smith's power and as the game wore on, you could see him begin to run out of ways to deal with Smith and the way that he was attacking him. Along with his power, Smith showed great patience along with the ability that when it came time to finish the play, Peppers was the one that was on his heels and not the aggressor. What was a shame in this game was that it was not as close as it needed to be, because that you would have really seen Tyron Smith at his best when it comes to just his run blocking and killing this game.

Smith also shut down Jared Allen holding him to only 1 tackle and no sacks when the Boys played the Vikings this year. He held Tamba Hali, Jason Pierre Paul, Robert Quinn all sackless this season, and held Clay Matthews to a half a sack.

Forgot to ask: How’s your knee?

Kerrigan: It’s good. It bothered me a little bit here and there but overall it hasn’t been much of a problem. I’m not really limited.

We don't.

Ask RG3 how he felt about his knee in february and he probably would say it was good and he's not really limited. :-p

And I'm not so sure the staff doesn't trust in those two.  I don't think they get as much production from them, but would it improve the team more to have those two play at a fraction of the cost of Orakpo, use that extra money on a great FA addition at another area of need, AND have an extra 2nd day draft pick to perhaps get yet another solid piece for the team?  Tough to say, but I'm still for franchising Orakpo at the moment.

Ask RG3 how he felt about his knee in february and he probably would say it was good and he's not really limited. :-p

And I'm not so sure the staff doesn't trust in those two.  I don't think they get as much production from them, but would it improve the team more to have those two play at a fraction of the cost of Orakpo, use that extra money on a great FA addition at another area of need, AND have an extra 2nd day draft pick to perhaps get yet another solid piece for the team?  Tough to say, but I'm still for franchising Orakpo at the moment.

Not a good idea to let Jackson/Jenkins replace Brian Ndubisi Orakpo, we saw what transpired this past Sunday when Rak wasn't in the game during the 4th quarter. Romo could have kicked back in his lounge chair and sipped on a lotte waiting for one of his receivers to get open. And why weaken one of our positions of strength and open up yet another hole that would need to be filled? Having a good pass rusher is one of the most integral parts to having a successful team. Just doesn't make sense.

Not a good idea to let Jackson/Jenkins replace Brian Ndubisi Orakpo, we saw what transpired this past Sunday when Rak wasn't in the game during the 4th quarter. Romo could have kicked back in his lounge chair and sipped on a lotte waiting for one of his receivers to get open. And why weaken one of our positions of strength and open up yet another hole that would need to be filled? Having a good pass rusher is one of the most integral parts to having a successful team. Just doesn't make sense.

Our defense functioned at a similar level without him last year!  I maintain that an upgrade at DE (maybe both DE's even!) would probably see better results for our pass rush.

Oh, and Merry Christmas 98.

Our defense functioned at a similar level without him last year!  I maintain that an upgrade at DE (maybe both DE's even!) would probably see better results for our pass rush.

Oh, and Merry Christmas 98.

An upgrade at DE would be rather nice amongst other things. And Merry Christmas to you as well.

Well that's just peachy. He gives you a new sig, and he get's a Christmas greeting. I'm onto you Burgundy with your greetings for favours! 

Screw you AND the (soon to be) former average Redskin that's turned your head. 

HUMPH!

Hail. 

Whoa now, I designed this sig myself (I lost a bet and I'm good on my word). :(

If Orakpo had never had that 7 game streak I wouldn't want him back, but I'm all for the franchise tag on him now.  It's the perfect compromise!  We get another year to see what he can do (maybe with a better d coordinator!) and yet we don't have to commit a lot of longterm money to him.

C'mon GHH, or should I say Grinchs Hog Heaven, time to let your heart grow 3 sizes.

This is going to be a controversial thread and one that will doubtless get me flack; but the more I read posters talking about tying Brian Orakpo before his rookie deal runs out at the end of this season; or how he's going to come back in beast mode this year; I can't help asking if he is both highly overrated around these here parts; and if we should be looking to cash in and think about trading 'Rak?

No, he is far from overrated and no we should not think about trading him.

I can hear the cry's of distain to those notions as I type, so let me explain what brings me to that line of thinking.

We drafted Orakpo back in 2009 with the 13th. overall pick. At the time, I was personally disappointed, as I really wanted Ole Miss' Michael Oher (Who I think still has a real high ceiling and is among the top end of RT's in this league); as I considered LT at the time a far bigger need than a rush end/ OLB edge rusher. But we plumped for the Longhorn. Given his college record, I quickly came around to the idea and he certainly didn't disappoint in a great, 11 sack rookie season that lead to a PB appearance. But ever since, for all the plaudits he gets from 'Skins fans, he has never fully kicked on for me to justify the hype.

Thank God we drafted Orakpo over Oher who has been an average player for the Ravens.

Don't get me wrong, he can still collapse the pocket and wreck haveck in the backfield, but his limitations within that certainly don't justify the esteem many hold him in IMHO. He has one move, period. And that's to bull rush opponents. There's nothing else in his pass rush reportoi. Folk embarrassingly claim he gets unfairly held like that doesn't happen all over the league to evey decent pass rusher worth his salt. The difference being the great ones have multiple moves to beat those holds. Brian doesn't. 4 years into his pro career. To hear Reddkin fans talk, you'd think he was our answer to DeMarcus Ware. When in truth, it would be insulting to Ware to put him in the same bracket. The numbers alone don't deserve comparison. Orakpo, whilst far from bad, is a one trick poney who's limitations in a 34 are glaring. As a pure rush end in a 43 D, or edge rushing OLB, he'd be pretty darn effective. But when the responsibility's go up as a 34 LB, he's found wanting. His pass coverage skills leave a LOT to be desired. And that's imperative for the position in this D. And in NFC East games, he has a woeful record of 3.5 sacks through 18 games. That is NOT the record of a great pass rusher.

Orakpo is far from a one trick pony, as he has shown this season he can cover tight ends and running backs, as well as stop the run exceptionally well, not to mention he is a great pass rusher with way more than just one move, those moves include the rip and dip under, swim move counter inside, bull rush, and occasional spin move. His sack totals have also gone up as of late against division foes.

Good and effective player no doubt. Great player he most assuredly isn't.

He seems to be leaning more towards the great end of the scale this season as opposed to just average or good.

And when you look at what we're developing here in the LB core, you begin to question even more if he's worth paying the money he'll demand.

Quite worth it, a pass rusher is the second most valuable asset to a team with championship aspirations.

Ryan Kerrigan for me is everything 'Rak isn't. And a far better overall player. He has a non stop motor, works his tail end off to improve (back to the 4 year vet Orakpo and his one rush move); and he is good in pass pro. Ryan's far more than just a pass rusher. (And his numbers are comparable to Orakpo.). He can do what Brian can't. Make big tackles in the open field. A staple of a 34 LB's job.

Orakpo has proven this season that he is a superior player and pass rusher to Ryan Kerrigan, as well as showcasing that his motor runs just as hot as Kerrigans does at all times.

The same with Rob Jackson. I'm not for one minute suggesting Rob's as talented as Brian. But as an all round 34 LB his worth is higher than Orakpo's IMHO. He's far better in coverage, has the same constant motor as Kerrigan. And he's shown he can contribute in turnovers and sacks and getting into opposing backfields. And let's not forget last years very prudent 4th round pick, Keenan Robinson; was real versatile in college and was a very effective edge rusher with his speed an athleticism when lined up there for the Longhorns.

Rob Jackson isn't in the same class as Brian Orakpo, and never will be.

Again, I fully expect flack as this goes against the norm questioning a current fan favourite.

Hopefully you've learned not to question the greatness that is Brian Orakpo.  :) 

But all things considered, not least his shoulder/ pectoral muscle injury concerns; I seriously wonder whether we might be better cashing in on 'Rak whilst we still can in the coming months rather than thinking about extending and over paying for a guy who just does'nt live upto the plaudits if you look beyond the hype.

Orakpo has silenced the naysayers this season proving his pec has healed 100%, while at the same time living up to the hype and surpassing his 13th overall draft status.

Hail.

Hail.

We may have to end up franchising Orakpo...

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/talk/has-brian-orakpo-played-his-final-game-redskins

“We’ll see, we’ll see,” Orakpo said after the Redskins’ 20-6 loss to the Giants. “This whole free agent thing is new to me. You got to understand, every year I was still under contract. I had a great time being a part of the Washington Redskins. I want to continue it, but who knows?”

“I don’t know the circumstances,” Orakpo said. “I don’t know if Mike is coming back. I don’t know if we’re going to have the same scheme. I don’t anything right now. It’s really hard to see. We’ll see. These next couple of days, weeks, or whatever, we’ll see what transpires. …I would love to come back and finish my career as a Redskin because I feel like we have a lot of unfinished business here. But, at the same time, I want to have the best interests for myself when it comes to this point in time in my career.”

We may have to end up franchising Orakpo...

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/talk/has-brian-orakpo-played-his-final-game-redskins

“We’ll see, we’ll see,” Orakpo said after the Redskins’ 20-6 loss to the Giants. “This whole free agent thing is new to me. You got to understand, every year I was still under contract. I had a great time being a part of the Washington Redskins. I want to continue it, but who knows?”

“I don’t know the circumstances,” Orakpo said. “I don’t know if Mike is coming back. I don’t know if we’re going to have the same scheme. I don’t anything right now. It’s really hard to see. We’ll see. These next couple of days, weeks, or whatever, we’ll see what transpires. …I would love to come back and finish my career as a Redskin because I feel like we have a lot of unfinished business here. But, at the same time, I want to have the best interests for myself when it comes to this point in time in my career.”

Who cares? He is far from the problem at this point but is also far from the solution. Just a guy who can rush the passer ok, not too bad against the run and is a liability in coverage. 

Whoa now, I designed this sig myself (I lost a bet and I'm good on my word). :(

If Orakpo had never had that 7 game streak I wouldn't want him back, but I'm all for the franchise tag on him now.  It's the perfect compromise!  We get another year to see what he can do (maybe with a better d coordinator!) and yet we don't have to commit a lot of longterm money to him.

C'mon GHH, or should I say Grinchs Hog Heaven, time to let your heart grow 3 sizes.

Are you and 98ORAKPO98 part of his family or something? lol jk but still!

Archived