Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guys I need recommendations on the next TV series I should start watching.

stoney26

On 7/25/2018 at 8:06 PM, PleaseBlitz said:

So i dont watch much TV, but am working on Breaking Bad. The last 2 episodes of season 4 are some of the best TV ever. 

My favorite series, too.  

14 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

One more month until.........Ozark S2

God dammit.  For some reason I thought it was out this Friday.  Been looking forward to that for awhile.  

New season of El Chapo has hit Netflix.

I finished Killing Eve last night. Terrific acting. A couple scenes were a bit of a reach, but the performances and the dialogue made it worth it.

I tried Riverdale after a few people here recommended it, but gave up by the third episode. Visually, I was impressed by how well they blended the 50s look of the comic books with modern-day scenarios, but all the characters, other than maybe Jughead, are such gawdawful stereotyped cookie cutter caricatures and the writing so bad that it was just painful to watch. Maybe it gets better further in, but it was just dreadful so far.

With all the awful crap on their menu, why can't Netflix pick up Dark Matter... :(

Edited by Riggo-toni
  • Like 1

Sharp Objects on HBO is something else.  It feels icky watching it.  Amy Adams is great.  It is a really slow moving story (so far, I think through...4 episodes?) but it looks like from the previews things will be picking up.

I just started Castle Rock, enjoying it so far.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The OITNB thread got archived, so I'll post my thoughts in here about Season 6.  Definitely the best season since 1 & 2 imo.  They did an excellent job of introducing new characters without overdoing it with too much back story and sub-plots this time.  While each character has their own situation going on, while slightly different, all connected to the main story line of this season.

Spoilers below:

Spoiler

So, season five left us with a dead guard and the inmates getting bused out of the prison after the riot in different groups on different buses.  I love how season 6 was about them now facing harder inmates in max.  How Litchfield was a cake walk compared to where they ended up.  The war between cell blocks C & D, with Carol and Barb running things (Carol received extra time because Frieda ratted her out years ago).  The interconnection of them facing additional time on their sentences (life, 10 years, etc.) and being forced to basically rat out someone. 

Was such a horrible thing seeing Tasty take the fall for murdering Piscatella, very powerful message there regarding how the justice system works.  I'm glad they kept the new characters backstories to basically Carol, Barb, Daddy and Badison and they didn't over do it with flashbacks.  And I loved how they phased out some of the original characters while also getting back to the main characters Alex and Piper more.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

They went out in style.

By far one of the best series finales I've seen in a long time.

That said...

I'm guessing the screen panning out at the end showing red leaves starting to form means that they didn't fully fix the timeline. But I'm glad they went with a happy ending.

Edited by The Evil Genius

Just noticed ads for this.  I loved SOA, but really wasn’t fan of the last few seasons other than some episodes and scenes and thought **** Executioner was pretty much somewhat-entertaining garbage, so I’m not sure about this.  But this does look interesting.

On 8/1/2018 at 11:33 AM, NoCalMike said:

Sharp Objects on HBO is something else.  It feels icky watching it.  Amy Adams is great.  It is a really slow moving story (so far, I think through...4 episodes?) but it looks like from the previews things will be picking up.

Amy Adams is effing brilliant. 

Best show I’ve seen in years. 

• Like 1

Matt Groening coming out with a new show called "Disenchantment". Think animated, goofball version of "Game of Thrones". Looks VERY promising.

I hope the humor in it isn't lazy like "Futurama". I hope it has the sharpness and wit of the early seasons of "The Simpsons". 

On 8/1/2018 at 11:33 AM, NoCalMike said:

I had to bail on Sharp Objects because it was sooooo slow.

Castle Rock has been real good. Also on Hulu- The Handmaid's Tale. Wow, intense.

20 hours ago, Chachie said:

I had to bail on Sharp Objects because it was sooooo slow.

Castle Rock has been real good. Also on Hulu- The Handmaid's Tale. Wow, intense.

Started Sharp Objects last night, got through the first two episodes.   Wife and I love it.  Not directed at you personally, but generally speaking, it seems like the majority has less patience for slower developing shows now.  Which I blame the networks for as they crank out too many shows along with seasons being about half as long as they used to be (10-13 versus 20-24 episodes) then on top of that, they do mid-season finales.  

And they are fighting to stay on the air and get renewed, so they rush the pace of the story because of the fear of getting dropped and not being able to let it develop at a slower pace.  I feel that a lot of people have adapted that mindset, even with shows on premium pay networks like HBO.  Netflix has ruined me with binge watching since all their shows release the entire season at once.  Waiting a week for the next episode on any show I love annoys me.

Castle Rock has been really good, need to get caught up on it.  I think we got through the fourth episode, maybe just the third.  But very solid show.

• Like 2

I was going through the comedy section on HBO Now & stumbled onto Will Ferrell's You're Welcome America where he does about an hour & a half of stand up as George W saying goodbye to America as his 8 years in office are up. This **** is hilarious. :ols: 

• Like 1

Watched the first episode of Yellowstone on the Paramount network. Has Kevin Costner as the lead as the biggest rancher in Montana fighting local politics and the Native American Tribe. Excellent first episode loom forward to watching more.

On 8/15/2018 at 10:23 AM, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Not directed at you personally, but generally speaking, it seems like the majority has less patience for slower developing shows now.  Which I blame the networks for as they crank out too many shows along with seasons being about half as long as they used to be (10-13 versus 20-24 episodes) then on top of that, they do mid-season finales.  

I agree with this and I think the desire to avoid slow burns is how you end up with things like SOA seasons 4-7. You can’t have slow building character episodes with drawn out development that peak in the right ways and moments. In many cases, people lose interest and the writers end up endlessly ratcheting up the stakes and action scenes and chaos to keep interest. 

I know people that think Breaking Bad is too slow because of all the time it spends with Walt interacting at dinner and around the house etc which is all character and world building moments. I have friends that I would never recommend Mad Men to, which I think is a masterpiece, because it’s all character and dialogue with no violence or action. 

————

Sharp Objects has been outstanding, haunting in its realism and gripping in its mystery. There are two epsisodes left and my prime suspect list is about 8 people long 

352EA08A-96DE-4F27-8D7E-C1C0E86391B2.jpeg

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1

Been at my parents house for a couple weeks since my mom had surgery a week or two back.  Watched a couple of mystery shows with my parents recently that were good. “Safe” on Netflix and “Mayday” on Acorn tv.  

Also saw “Disenchantment”, which is kind of like a fantasy Futurama on Netflix.  And Kim’s Convenience (also on Netflix), a family sitcom centering around a Korean Canadian family in Toronto, that’s really adorable and funny, with my mom.

Edited by visionary
  • Like 1