Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kilmer17's roadmap to fix the GOP

Kilmer17

Unless 1) there is some radical shift in GOP ideology or 2) he completely changes his tune and becomes part of the traditional GOP, there is no way Rand Paul even sniffs a presidential nomination.

I cant say what you believe is way off, because the GOP has shown over and over its unwillingness to change.

That said, I hold some small hope that the stings of consecutive loses cause some introspection and maybe embrace some new ideas.

Interesting article. I'm not sure the GOP can get out of their own way though. At least, not with the drug addled radio blowhard at the throne and still making people kiss his ring.

http://news.yahoo.com/don%E2%80%99t-get-****y--democrats--the-post-romney-gop-looks-just-like-you-did-two-decades-ago-13564462.html

Great article. I enjoyed it especially as someone who's growing to love the history of party politics in America.

One of our city council members in Greenville (a bleeding heart liberal and a personal friend) said to me that, while she seldom agreed with them, the Republican Party was always the party of reason. Somewhere down the road, the GOP seemed to forget that and I think someone like Rand Paul who acknowledges that the party needs help is exactly what the GOP needs.

This article is also a reminder that both parties are at their best when they're in the middle. Bill Clinton was able to guide his party to the center after decades of left-wing rhetoric, now someone has to do it from the Republican Party. My pick has been, and continues to be, Jon Huntsman; but I know that will never happen.

One of our city council members in Greenville (a bleeding heart liberal and a personal friend) said to me that, while she seldom agreed with them, the Republican Party was always the party of reason. Somewhere down the road, the GOP seemed to forget that and I think someone like Rand Paul who acknowledges that the party needs help is exactly what the GOP needs.

Problem is, many of us don't think of Ron and Rand Paul as the voice of reason. They are ideological extremists, just ones who hang out on their own third branch of extremism.

Problem is, many of us don't think of Ron and Rand Paul as the voice of reason. They are ideological extremists, just ones who hang out on their own third branch of extremism.

Yes, maybe their ideals are a bit extreme. Perhaps they're not even realistic; but at least he and his father are trying to steer the party toward a pro-civil liberties, non-interventionist (from a military standpoint) platform. I've thought left-leaning members of our country's electorate would embrace that kind of rhetoric, especially when it's the opposite of what the bulk of Republicans are talking about today.

I don't agree with Ron and Rand (especially Rand) on everything, but I do agree that the GOP needs to make a change or else it may never recover.

Yes, maybe their ideals are a bit extreme. Perhaps they're not even realistic; but at least he and his father are trying to steer the party toward a pro-civil liberties, non-interventionist (from a military standpoint) platform. I've thought left-leaning members of our country's electorate would embrace that kind of rhetoric, especially when it's the opposite of what the bulk of Republicans are talking about today.

I don't agree with Ron and Rand (especially Rand) on everything, but I do agree that the GOP needs to make a change or else it may never recover.

I agree with that part, but their domestic and fiscal policies are fairy tales for the rich and nightmares for everyone else. So, I don't think Rand Paul is really the guy to come out of this as the leader, but that doesn't mean he can't have an important voice on a lot of issues.

This may sound a little strange, but I'd lean more towards someone who is more establishment but not quite so ideologically rigid like Lindsey Graham. I am not saying he's proven a whole lot to me yet, but he does strike me as a conservative who practices with a bit of common sense and pragmatism, based upon intelligence. So, I think he has more of a shot to lead the GOP "out of this abyss" then someone like Rand Paul.

But, haven't you heard? From what I hear, Republicans made up less than 40% of the voters, on election day.

This proves that the election was biased, because it oversampled Democrats.

Duckus ruined my same quote above when he posted that article... i picked Romney would win due to over sampling. Then i was just stuck with the President winning again as my second pick.

You could easily see it in the pre-voting that i posted also.

My positive is apparently that other thread on the Reconstruction Age racism in election regret didn't happen and i know it won't go away with MSNBC but racism calling was pushed back again to the fractions vs. the whole.

Though the other thing i pointed out was the ® "Sample" ballot was ENGLISH only..(made me shake my head).- stubborn

US treasury says Oct '12 deficit was $120B, larger than forecasts for a $114B gap and up from $98 billion in Oct. '11.

Another thing the GOP can do is to just hang tight until the country goes bankrupt than come in to clean up the mess.

The country isn't going bankrupt. Seriously, stop.

For a supposed libertarian, he sure supports a lot of govt intrusion on liberty. ok, hes anti patriot act and starting to come around on mj. I'll give him credit for that. But on all other social issues he's a typical GOP conservative. pro life, supports an amendment banning gay marriage, conservative on immigration, etc. a true libertarian should be more socially liberal than this.

This may sound a little strange, but I'd lean more towards someone who is more establishment but not quite so ideologically rigid like Lindsey Graham. I am not saying he's proven a whole lot to me yet, but he does strike me as a conservative who practices with a bit of common sense and pragmatism, based upon intelligence. So, I think he has more of a shot to lead the GOP "out of this abyss" then someone like Rand Paul.

I've been saying this for years. Graham has always stood out as a Pub I could really see myself getting behind. Would love to see him in a primary, and see what he's all about and how he handles it

I've been saying this for years. Graham has always stood out as a Pub I could really see myself getting behind. Would love to see him in a primary, and see what he's all about and how he handles it

Graham for awhile used to peg the nutso Right meter, and either the party out crazied him and now he just looks and sounds normal or he's corrected himself and dissaciated himself from the nutjobs. He at the very least seems to understand that his job conists of more than making an ass out of himself and trying to deny the president a second term. That said, I couldn't see myself voting for him, but I respect him more than I do about 90% of the rest of Republicans in DC.

For a supposed libertarian, he sure supports a lot of govt intrusion on liberty. ok, hes anti patriot act and starting to come around on mj. I'll give him credit for that. But on all other social issues he's a typical GOP conservative. pro life, supports an amendment banning gay marriage, conservative on immigration, etc. a true libertarian should be more socially liberal than this.

Hence why I said "especially Rand." :D

He's a watered down version of his father, for sure, but as I said before, at least he acknowledges the GOP needs to press the reset button. This is extremely refreshing to me as someone who does part time work at a radio station that broadcasts conservative talk programs. All they seem to say is "the problem with the Republican Party/Mitt Romney is that it isn't conservative (i.e. neo-conservatism) enough."

As for the abortion issue, I think it would be silly for them to give up that up completely. Because thats the one issue thats keeping alot of the religious conservatives voting for them (as well as their stance on gay marriage, but it definitely seems like abortion is way more important). I personally know alot of Catholics who vote Republican almost solely because of their stance on abortion, despite acknowledging their shortcomings in areas of social justice and foreign policy. If they take the same posiiton as Democrats, they lose alot of those voters.

What they should do on the abortion issue, is not to take the hard line "no exceptions", but to take something like a "first trimester" stance (keep in legal within the first trimester, but restrictions after that ). That would be enough to at least keep the religious conservatives in their pocket, but would prevent them getting hammered on the issue by interviewers.

Well lets not blame the Entire Republican party for nominating a James Dean like moment: One had a Screaming fit, the other was taped saying he doesn't care about 47% of the Americans and it I heard it 28 times a day.

Not 2 years ago the Republicans Historically took over every House/Senate/Governor etc. seat in the country with an actual message.

Not 2 weeks ago the message was- the President isn't doing great, but this guy doesn't care about me so the Dems won with 50%?

If we can get Gas prices below 3$ you will see an uptick in the economy as everything gets cheaper when the trucks can affort to go places.

Burgold: Normal people see the petitions as just an extension to the kill list.. all will be added and sorted, President Santa knows who is naughty or nice.

Well lets not blame the Entire Republican party for nominating a James Dean like moment: One had a Screaming fit, the other was taped saying he doesn't care about 47% of the Americans and it I heard it 28 times a day.

Yeah, the Republicans problem was that Romney got caught actually saying what the entire GOP media operation had been saying for years.

Not 2 years ago the Republicans Historically took over every House/Senate/Governor etc. seat in the country with an actual message.

Wow, really?

I don;t know which of your assertions is better proof of your delusion-hood:

That the GOP took over every House/Senate/Governor seat in America.

Or that they had an actual message. (Well, I suppose "Look, we managed to screw things up for the country, for two years! It's Obama's fault! Vote for us!" is a message.)

Burgold: Normal people see the petitions as just an extension to the kill list.. all will be added and sorted, President Santa knows who is naughty or nice.

Mister, I admire your notion of normal people. [/movie reference]

Yahoo: Rep. DesJarlais admitted to affairs with patients, supported abortions: Report

Winning re-election has failed to quiet scandals surrounding Rep. Scott DesJarlais.

Court transcripts from his 2001 divorce trial obtained by the Chattanooga Times Free Press and reported on Thursday revealed that the Tennessee Republican tea partyer, a former physician, had admitted to sexual relationships with patients and supported his wife's abortions.

DesJarlais reportedly also admitted to having affairs with co-workers and a drug representative while serving as chief of staff at Grandview Medical Center in Jasper, Tenn. "During one affair with a female patient, DesJarlais prescribed her drugs, gave her an $875 watch and bought her a plane ticket to Las Vegas, records show," the newspaper wrote.

DesJarlais also reportedly supported his wife's two abortions before they were married, one of which occurred while she was on medication that carried risks.

More at link.

Noticing some signs in the article (like "while she was on medication that carried risks") that, to me, cause me to suspect that the author is intentionally twisting things to be more inflammatory.

I have a lot of issues with Rand and I do think he sold out ( I remember him campaigning for his father during his first run- he is more of a libertarian than his father), but in fairness he pretty much came out for amnesty the other day and has always opposed the drug war. I wish we could get the real Rand, the guy that was trying to make alliances with the left.

I have a lot of issues with Rand and I do think he sold out ( I remember him campaigning for his father during his first run- he is more of a libertarian than his father), but in fairness he pretty much came out for amnesty the other day and has always opposed the drug war. I wish we could get the real Rand, the guy that was trying to make alliances with the left.

Half of the GOP has come out ostensibly in favor of amnesty since they got thumped so bad in the election and lost the Latino vote by so much. That doesn't mean they necessarily believe in it. Perhaps some of them do, but I'm more inclined to believe that, at this point, it is the mass reflexive pandering of a political party that is frantically attempting to stay relevant and find some direction.

Half of the GOP has come out ostensibly in favor of amnesty since they got thumped so bad in the election and lost the Latino vote by so much.

I certainly haven't noticed that.

I've seen lots of Republicans saying they support "immigration reform".

But then, I've seen Republican proposals for "immigration reform" that mostly consist of "well, American middle class workers, like doctors, nurses, and engineers, make too much money. So we think it would be a great idea if we vastly expanded things like the H1B program, where we import foreign doctors, nurses, and engineers, and drive labor costs down. All them illegals who are already here? Ship them back (somehow)."

Archived