Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kilmer17's roadmap to fix the GOP

Kilmer17

• 3 months later...

Here is another to add to the list...... time to break up with Karl Rove AND Sarah Palin. Both are of them are damaging to whatever brand the GOP wants to become to survive.

Karl Rove Mocks Sarah Palin Tenure As Governor (VIDEO)

"If these experts who keep losing elections and keep getting rehired and getting millions -- if they feel that strong about who gets to run in this party, then they should buck-up or stay in the truck," Palin told CPAC Saturday, referring to Rove. "Buck up or run. The Architect can head on back to the great Lone Star State and put their name on some ballot –- though for their sakes, I hope they give themselves a discount on their consulting services."

"I'm a volunteer and I don't take a dime with my work from American Crossroads and pay my own travel expenses out of my own pocket and I thought she was encouraging volunteer grassroots activity and I'm a volunteer," Rove said. "Second of all, look, I appreciate encouragement I ought to go home to Texas and run for office and, it would be news if I did to have her support. But I don't think I'm a good candidate -- a kind of balding, fat guy. And second, if I did run for office and win, I would serve out my term and I wouldn't leave office midterm."

Meanwhile, Palin did he bit with the Big Gulp......which itself wouldn't have been banned under Bloomberg's law. So, somebody didn't explain that one to her and the crowd.

I feel like I want to in an honest and completely non-sarcastic way, make suggestions on how the GOP could be fixed as well now. The weekend if replayed online over and over, didn't do that at all.

Reince Priebus gives GOP prescription for future

Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus on Monday unveiled the blistering results of his months-long investigation of the GOP’s problems, calling for a comprehensive reinvention of the Republican Party that includes an official endorsement of immigration reform.

“There’s no one reason we lost. Our message was weak; our ground game was insufficient; we weren’t inclusive; we were behind in both data and digital; and our primary and debate process needed improvement,” Priebus said in a breakfast speech Monday morning. “So, there’s no one solution. There’s a long list of them.”

Among the report’s 219 prescriptions: a $10 million marketing campaign, aimed in particular at women and minorities, including gays; a shorter primary season and earlier national convention; and the creation of an open data platform and analytics institute that will provide research for Republican candidates.

“When Republicans lost in November it was a wakeup call,” Priebus told members of the committee at a National Press Club breakfast Monday morning. “We know that we have problems. We’ve identified them and were implementing the solutions to fix them.”

While the document is intended to focus on strategy, not policy, the group makes one major foray into policy. If Republicans want to reach Hispanic voters, the authors say, the party “must embrace and champion comprehensive immigration reform.”

More from the link.

More from the link.

You can't change your base. The modern Republican party was built with former democrats who were racists and didn't like the Civil Rights act, social conservatives who aren't for abortion being legal, gays having rights, etc... After all, they use ant-gay ballot measures in 2004 to win elections and now they want to preach tolerance. They want to have immigration reform only to get the hispanic vote, not because it's the right thing to do.

The base aren't for those things and the more they try to appeal to outside their base, the more they will lose. The solution is just switch to becoming democrats and let the right wing wallow in it's minority.

So the Grand Oligarch's Party is going to be hiring national political directors to reach out to non-White voters, 'eh? Let's just say that the people that fill these positions won't exactly be overworked. What I can't wait to see though, is what happens if the GOP decides to formally stop bashing/hating gays. Seeing so many far-right fundies stroke out simultaneously would be some of the best comedy ever. :evilg:

So the Grand Oligarch's Party is going to be hiring national political directors to reach out to non-White voters, 'eh? Let's just say that the people that fill these positions won't exactly be overworked. What I can't wait to see though, is what happens if the GOP decides to formally stop bashing/hating gays. Seeing so many far-right fundies stroke out simultaneously would be some of the best comedy ever. :evilg:

I saw Reince on TV explaining this plan. To find and vet minority folks that already live in these communities to be paid GOP employees down there. Didn't say that they had to believe in what the GOP is selling. Just had to be vetted. Maybe that includes being a believer.

I saw Reince on TV explaining this plan. To find and vet minority folks that already live in these communities to be paid GOP employees down there. Didn't say that they had to believe in what the GOP is selling. Just had to be vetted. Maybe that includes being a believer.

Flashing back to the "I was a paid Internet shill" thread. :)

At least there was a mention of one actual policy adjustment as opposed to the thinly-veiled "lets try to trick the kind of people we don't like into not noticing what we're really about by deploying more lubricated phraseology on some our beliefs so they might vote for us."

At least there was a mention of one actual policy adjustment as opposed to the thinly-veiled "lets try to trick the kind of people we don't like into not noticing what we're really about by deploying more lubricated phraseology on some our beliefs so they might vote for us."

Was there? I recall Wolfie asking Reince if this was an issue of message or policy....and he seemed to lean towards message as if their policy itself isn't what caused the 2012 results. They talk about the reach of the Dems through new tools. Do they think just because they use the same tools, people will automatically agree with their positions? Enough to stop time from progressing forward?

Here are a few tools they should start using for the 2014 cycle.

time-machine-observations.jpg

1966%20Time%20Machine%20Studio%20Prop%20Reproduction%2026.jpg

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-numbers-prove-it-the-republican-party-is-estranged-from-america/2013/03/22/3050734c-900a-11e2-9abd-e4c5c9dc5e90_story.html?hpid=z2

It is no surprise that even elements of the Republican leadership that had been so confident of a Mitt Romney victory — including when it was clear that he was going to lose the election — are now looking at ways to find more electable candidates and cope with the disproportionate influence of hard-liners in the GOP. Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus only scratched the surface this past week when he dissected the party’s November defeat: “There’s no one reason we lost. Our message was weak; our ground game was insufficient; we weren’t inclusive; we were behind in both data and digital; and our primary and debate process needed improvement. So there’s no one solution. There’s a long list of them.”

When you're trying to find more electable candidates and basically abandoning some of your bedrock principles (inclusiveness, immigration reform)—is the party still the same party? Basically what is being said is that, at least at the moment, America is trending away from what the GOP believes in. In the 12 years of Reagan and Bush 41, was there a sense in the Democratic Party of changing some of their core beliefs? I honestly don't know, I was too young.

Yeah, it's generally accepted that the Dems reacted to defeat by moving more towards the middle.

(To which, the Republicans responded by demonizing the Democrats even more, and running further to the Right.)

It's an interesting tactic. Esp. because of the local races, GOP's are getting more and more entrenched in Congress and State Houses, but at the same time they are getting further and further away from winning the Presidency.

Will they be happy with that?

If you look at quite a few races even in fairly red states recently you will notice overall more Democratic votes, but districting has led to Republican wins. I think eventually that is a losing strategy as you have to keep getting more and more creative with the maps and eventually the calculus just won't work.

Still, for the time being, the Republican strategy of extremism and map rigging seems to be highly productive.

Yeah, I have seen the claim made that the only reason the GOP has any power at all is because of gerrymandering.

And I can see some validity to it. It at least is a way of explaining how they can win the House, but not the Senate. Senator's districts can't be gerrymandered.

But, that theory doesn't fit with the number of states that have Republican Governors. They don't have districts, either.

Actually, the impression I get is that lately, most states have been "accept big pile of deficit dollars from the Feds, then announce that this somehow makes the state morally superior to the Feds".

But that has been mostly a very recent thing.

Are they? There are a lot of state/municipal/local bonds out there.

if your budget includes paying bonds it is considered so....and mandated by law in most states

of course there are some with creative accounting and taking federal deficit dollars and still not paying the bills Larry.

but that is for another thread

if your budget includes paying bonds it is considered so....and mandated by law in most states

Ah. So, if a State/municipality goes into debt, and issues bonds to raise the money, then they don't count as being in debt, because they pay the bonds.

Ah. So, if a State/municipality goes into debt, and issues bonds to raise the money, then they don't count as being in debt, because they pay the bonds.

the states use of bonds is restricted...but then you probably know that

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=3067

if you are unaware

http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/budget/state-balanced-budget-requirements.aspx

I'll keep saying it, the GOP is unfixable. Whatever changes the GOP hopes to make goes soundly against the views of their base. The only way the base will change is to have on their candidates actually get the nomination and then get soundly rejected by the country.

The GOP is slowly becoming a non-viable alternative. At the presidential level; I will say they are almost there already. Eventually, that will start trickling down to the state and local level.

Archived