Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brandon Banks: Clash Time--Should He Stay or Should He Go? (MET)

TD_washingtonredskins

It seems like we are phasing Banks out of our offense. While he is still getting some snaps, we are not ft. him as a RB like we did earlier in the season.

Banks seems bored to me on KR, the ball goes over his head, he is jogging off before the ball has even made it out of the endzone.

I want Aldrick or Moss to get some touches in the return game. It can't hurt at this point to push him, as he only has 1 career return TD.

Dude is the most frustrating guy on the roster. Yesterday's blunder was COMPLETELY inexcusable. On top of it all, I'm sick and tired of him taking the ball 5 yards deep out of the end zone and repeatedly failing to make it to the 20. He's a small man and can't take any contact. There has to be a better option on the roster for returns, right?

This!!!

I have NOT been on the cut Banks bandwagon until yesterday. He continually set us up for bad field position. He looked like a lobotomized version of Randle El back there.

Brandon Banks annoys me. Every time he brings the ball out of the endzone, I cringe. The guy is not talented anymore.

And the worse his form gets, and the more frustrated he becomes; the worse his dumbass decisions to run things back when he should play the percentage game cost this team.

Deactivate him, boost a youngster up to the 53, and let Robinson and Moss handle the return duties. Or even Paul. We have many options that no longer justify the need for Banks. Even more so when Banks hasn't been much of anything outside of his rookie year.

Make the change Mike. This is one area of your team that's a serious embarrassment.

Hail.

For better or for worse, I think Banks is probably being retained as a utility offensive player, and an added gimmick for the read option. (Probably Helu will get that role next season.) The fact is the Skins corps of running backs has become depleted -- Banks is a speedy body they can plug in. I'm not sure if he is as fast as he once was -- but he's still got speed and can change directions quickly.

But after that -- I see a lot of negatives.about Banks,

#1 negative is his head -- the guy makes awful decisions. Kickoffs, punt returns -- what is the guy thinking? And there are times when he just doesn't seem to get what is required of him on the play

#2 is his hands -- he isn't good at securing the football, and he's been lucky the fumbles have bounced safely and haven't cost the team.

#3 is his size -- it seems opponents can easily take this guy down after first contact. He gets dominated even by the short DBs, and that's a liability when they are jostling for the incoming pass. And his short stature makes it very risky passing to him over the middle (I think Banks was the intended target on Griffen's interception in the Thanksgiving game.)

#4 is his blocking ability -- probably related to his size, but when he's in -- the Skins have one less blocker on the field.

#5 is his maturity -- some of this is probably impacting his decision-making -- but another factor is I seen a few instances when he started acting up a little bit like Hall does with after-the-whistle jawing,etc.

In spite of all that I guess I can accept why the Skins will stick with Banks for the 2012 season, but I hope they only use him on plays where he's near the sidelines. I think you're going to see Banks taking knees more often on kick-returns, but Smith will still allow him more leeway on punt-returns. I'd expect Banks gets a few of the pitchouts when he's near the sideline. True, the more he's been used in the offense -- the more the coaches must see his limitations --but they need someone for that Helu role.

While I suspect Banks may not make next year's roster -- I have come to accept they'll use him as best as possible this year, simply to avoid injuries to speedsters like Alderick Robinson, whose future with the Skins are brighter.

I think he has more value then people realize. But he needs to make better decisions in the return game, and honestly I think Paul should be returning kicks with Banks doing punts. Except for the one yesterday, he seemed to be doing a pretty good job with decisions there to me. Paul is a little bigger and has some good speed, so I think he'd be better suited to return kicks.

That said, I've been disappointed Banks hasn't been used more in the offense. He has phenomenal speed and he can make plays in space. What we need to do is to find a way to get him the ball more on offense and give him a chance to make plays against the defense rather then a kickoff unit. I think he'd have more success that way. More of the plays like the 3rd down catch he had yesterday would benefit him well.

Suffice to say, I think his biggest detriment has been an improper use of his skill set. Special teams isn't the place for him.

Denard Robinson anyone?

This!!!

I have NOT been on the cut Banks bandwagon until yesterday. He continually set us up for bad field position. He looked like a lobotomized version of Randle El back there.

If he's going to be Beasley's size (kid in DAL), I'd like to see him add some of Beasley's (and he's a rook) "head for the game" to his speed.

Banks is an X-Factor that probably isn't going to reach his potential until 2-3 years from now. My understanding is he hasn't been the same since hurting his knee, so I'm not pressed to get rid of him. I wouldn't replace him with a backup o-linemen, that's what I'm saying. Let him go through camp again next year and see if someone beats him out. He's gonna figure it out eventually. Question is will it be with us or not...

Archived