Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brandon Banks: Clash Time--Should He Stay or Should He Go? (MET)

TD_washingtonredskins

The good news is that Banks finally caught a pass beyond the line of scrimmage yesterday. I'm still waiting for the one deep post they send him on, because it's been set up the entire season. 99% of the time Banks has been lined up out wide, the defense has called out that a screen is coming. Just once I want to send Banks deep and see if he's as wide open as Niles Paul was on the TD yesterday.

he got behind the D yesterday but Griff was pressured

A lot of you need to get off Brandon Banks. I actually love.what he has brought this year. I like how he is used as a decoy and he has also made a few nice plays on reverses, options, and screens. All the crap about him not making big returns lately is a bunch of ghoulish. He has had quite a few nice returns this year. His impact has far outweighed Briscoe, someone that a lot of you want to make the roster at the expense of Banks. I think Banks is filling his role nicely and is always a guy the defense has to pay attention to where he lines up on offense.

A lot of you need to get off Brandon Banks. I actually love.what he has brought this year. I like how he is used as a decoy and he has also made a few nice plays on reverses, options, and screens. All the crap about him not making big returns lately is a bunch of ghoulish. He has had quite a few nice returns this year. His impact has far outweighed Briscoe, someone that a lot of you want to make the roster at the expense of Banks. I think Banks is filling his role nicely and is always a guy the defense has to pay attention to where he lines up on offense.

Banks sucks, I'm sorry. He's utterly useless. And I'm not sure where the fan loyalty comes from because off the field I always got the impression he was a huge punk.

Banks averages 1.9 yards per reception and just over 5 yards per rushing attempt (21 of his rushing yards came on one attempt). He is around league average on punt and kick returns so you could make a case for sticking with him in the return game - though my feeling is he is as likely to come up with a key fumble as a big return - but ther is not much of a case for him to have any role in the regular offense.

---------- Post added November-24th-2012 at 06:28 AM ----------

LOL, where is he going? The Banks haters act like if we release him we are going to pick up somebody wonderful. This late in the season, the dude isn't going anywhere

Probably right - he sticks this year. But we have to find an upgrade for that returner spot next season.

I think we should recognize that Shanahan -- outside of kickers -- rarely releases his 'starting' players in midseason. They'd have to be obvious failures, with no hope for improvement and there needs to be a good replacement already available.

It appears that Banks is needed as fill-in for that speed back role Helu used to provide, and that Banks presence on the field along with Griffin creates some speed threats and expands options for the offense. And there's all those preseason successes, that won over the ST coach on Brandon's abilty to take a punt all the way back.

However even Banks supporters have to acknowledge that Banks' decisions and production during this regular season has cast doubt on his longer-term prospects with the team. He is getting exposure in a range of offensive plays, and no doubt coaches are also noting that Banks has significant limitations in those roles.

So, I'm resigned to the fact Banks is going to keep a roster spot for the remainder of this season and to seeing him returning kicks and punts relying on his own on-field assessments of his chances. And I suspect we'll continue to see him as a utility back and gimmick RB/WR. ...But I hope the coaches avoid plays that rely on Banks doing things over the middle of the field -- because that is where his stature, his weakness in fighting for the ball, and his suspect hands will generate a lot of negative results.

Banks is a Redskin this year and so I will support, cheer, and root for him. I wasnt the little guy to be brilliant. However, I do hope that next year they upgrade. He's got too much of Napoleon Complex. He really wants to prove himself and while sometimes that fire is good it way too often winds up him taking a punt on the three or out of the endzone, a deep kickoff with no good lanes, or dancing around costing us twelve seconds when we have less than a minute to tie.

Add that to the ball security issue and you have a player who doesn't belong on a winning club. He's a boom or bust player, but this year and frankly last year he's had a much higher percentage of bust plays, then "wow" plays.

Keep him through this year and then find someone who can beat him in the preseason.

um, what? :ols:

benefit of the doubt?

ip0210_goulash_lg.jpg

---------- Post added November-24th-2012 at 08:22 AM ----------

Now that Robinson is an offensive factor, I don't want him returning punts or KOs. I'd love to use him in the role Banks has on offense from time to time though. It's December though...Banks isn't going anywhere this year...I'm resigned to that.

That's a fair point on ARob. I did like what I saw from Niles Paul. He's much more of a BMitch type runner who just gets the ball going north and will use the whole field to make the return. He had one return in the Pre-Season and it was over 40 yards... and he looks like a big truck with the ball that moves pretty fast.

And to me, returning kicks will only help Niles with his confidence and his ball skills.

That's a fair point on ARob. I did like what I saw from Niles Paul. He's much more of a BMitch type runner who just gets the ball going north and will use the whole field to make the return. He had one return in the Pre-Season and it was over 40 yards... and he looks like a big truck with the ball that moves pretty fast.

And to me, returning kicks will only help Niles with his confidence and his ball skills.

I would be perfectly happy to see Paul back there returning kicks. I guess at this point though, I'm looking at it more realistically and realizing that a change would have been made by now if it was going to be made. So, hopefully this debate is relevant when Shanahan is selecting the team NEXT year and we have found a way to move on from the Banks experiment.

LOL, where is he going? The Banks haters act like if we release him we are going to pick up somebody wonderful. This late in the season, the dude isn't going anywhere

Don't need to pick up anybody wonderful,imo..Aldrick Robinson could take his place just fine and would be a more legitimate threat.

I don't know if I'd want Paul returning,, he's becoming an excellent gunner, though.

He's been outstanding covering punts.. straight outstanding. In the last few games he's forced at least a half dozen fair catches, andf Thursday the Cowboys returner made the mistake of not fair catching one and Paul belted him.

I'll give Coach Gumchomp that one,, he's turned Paul into a special teams ace.

~baNG

Comments and suggestions that require a response...

He should reach out to Mitch for return guidance... uh no... he's a different kind of return man in the vain of Dante Hall (although clearly not as good). This type of returner actually has a short career shelf life even when they are good ones (which Banks is not)

He's Percy Harvin-like... nope...Harvin is 5'11, 185... Banks 5'7, 150... physically they aren't even comparable and their games aren't that similar either.

He is part of the developing offense... I feel confident that Moss or Robinson could easily handle the role that Banks has played as a diversion on offense

He's Clark-Sanders all rolled into one... are you serious? Gary Clark was the single toughest little receiver to go over the middle. Banks would die between the hash marks... come on man!!!

In my opinion:

Cut him and make Aldrick Robinson the PR and KR.

Aldrick also has similar speed to Banks and can actually make people miss... and he can run all of the gadget plays that Banks runs.

Use the extra roster spot to get another LB or DB, preferably off a team that runs the 3-4's practice squad like the Steelers.

Now that Robinson is an offensive factor, I don't want him returning punts or KOs. I'd love to use him in the role Banks has on offense from time to time though. It's December though...Banks isn't going anywhere this year...I'm resigned to that.

Just like Percy Harvin is so much of an offensive factor for the Vikings?

This thread is ridiculous. How about getting behind everyone on the team to make a playoff push rather than calling to cut someone. I think Banks is a good returner and his lineups in the offense keep the defense guessing. All you Vinny Cerratos please just shut up. Banks is not the problem. The defense is.

Banks averages 1.9 yards per reception and just over 5 yards per rushing attempt (21 of his rushing yards came on one attempt). He is around league average on punt and kick returns so you could make a case for sticking with him in the return game - though my feeling is he is as likely to come up with a key fumble as a big return - but ther is not much of a case for him to have any role in the regular offense.

---------- Post added November-24th-2012 at 06:28 AM ----------

Probably right - he sticks this year. But we have to find an upgrade for that returner spot next season.

I would agree with that. But it makes no sense to discuss this when there's no chance whatsoever of it happening this season

---------- Post added November-24th-2012 at 01:23 PM ----------

Don't need to pick up anybody wonderful,imo..Aldrick Robinson could take his place just fine and would be a more legitimate threat.

So basically you're saying the dude has been on the team all 12 weeks, active for every one of them and now Shanny should cut him? Be realistic about it

This thread is ridiculous. How about getting behind everyone on the team to make a playoff push rather than calling to cut someone. I think Banks is a good returner and his lineups in the offense keep the defense guessing. All you Vinny Cerratos please just shut up. Banks is not the problem. The defense is.

Hey, how about the team help their cause by getting rid of a fumbler who drifts back ten yards to field punts in the end zone and then compounds his massive mistake by return it to the 4.

This same guy last week let one bounce right behind him at the 25, and then turned and ran it down with an Eagle hot on his heels... that ball bounces the wrong way, and it's a disaster.

as it is, he compounded his first stupid mistake by making a second one and trying o gather up a bouncing ball .

People say he has the ability to change a game.

And he does. because pretty soon his luck is going to run out, and one of those bouncers will hit him, or one of his muffs won't bounce right back up to him.

He's a liability. I am absolutely supporting 52 guys on that team by wishing to get rid of the one who can ruin it for them by himself with another stupid decision while he's standing there waiting for a ball to come down..

I don't care if they cut him.

Bench his brainless do-nothing butt.

~Bang

It doesn't really matter who does kickoffs, so long as he knows when to stay in... which is about 85% of the time anymore.

most kickoffs are not returned these days.

Banks can be dumb on kickoffs, Bt a short return that is losing us 3 or 4 or 6 yards is a survivable mistake.. Typically the only mistake he can make on a kickoff is to bring it out from too deep.. unless he fumbles, but anyone can fumble.

The stupid things he does when fielding punts are potential disasters.

he really hasn't got the slightest idea when to catch, where to catch, how to get away from a ball.

I hope folks remember that stunt he pulled vs philly letting that punt bounce about 2 yards right behind him, and then chasing after it with Avant(?) hot on his heels.

Bud Grant, Greatest Coach the Vikings ever had once said: "

you can prepare your best, you can practice perfectly, you can play a great game and still lose because the ball is an oval and you don't know which way it's going to bounce."

Banks plays with fire.. he juggles nitroglycerine.. WAY too much.

~Bang

Archived