Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brandon Banks: Clash Time--Should He Stay or Should He Go? (MET)

TD_washingtonredskins

He's been pretty decent as a situational player, pretty nice running of the option and a few screen plays not to mention on reverses. He has more snaps and is used more than most of our WRs, I have no reason to see why he should go. I can see if you want a different kick returner, but Banks has proven to be capable to contribute to this offense, especially with his speed.

I guess I can see the argument that teams have to account for his speed when he's in on offense. But damn, when do we stop thinking about potential and ask for some production? Like someone else said, I've been over him since preseason. Typical ExtremeSkins mancrush player. Has some decent potential, might have a couple good/big plays, but overall just doesn't seem very good. Never know though, he might break one next week and people will be singing his praises.

My girlfriend last year knew two main thoughts I had towards the Skins. I couldn't stand Grossman as our QB (she heard "Dammit Grossman!" many times) and I loved Shanahan (she heard "That guy don't take no crap!" many times).

So far this year, she knows I still love Shanahan as coach and that I'm not too fond of Banks. She usually hears me say "If you're ever gonna do something Banks, do it now!" followed by "You're too small, take him outta there! He's my size!". All in good fun of course.

He's been pretty decent as a situational player, pretty nice running of the option and a few screen plays not to mention on reverses. He has more snaps and is used more than most of our WRs, I have no reason to see why he should go. I can see if you want a different kick returner, but Banks has proven to be capable to contribute to this offense, especially with his speed.

9 touches for 41 yards on offense this year. I'd like someone to tell me why another WR type couldn't do that. Banks has fumbled 3 times already in 6 games (in fairness, I believe those include his returns, so he hasn't fumbled 3 times on 9 touches).

This tired argument again? Smh.

I understand that people in here don't like him. I get it. But he's here until at least next season. Get over it.

And no. We don't have anyone who can take his spot on offense or Teams. Not yet anyways.

No one can run the triple option like him, Robinson, Moss etc. Also none of those guys have really impressed me. Besides maybe Moss. But I expect him to be solid. Robinsons hands seem good but he does get the drops. Briscoe dropped a wide open pass. Pauls hands are shaky at best. None of them have the speed and elusiveness Banks does.

He's been a letdown on teams but the blocking hasn't been great either.

Point is we got no one to replace him with now. No point in wasting a spot on a DB or OL that will never see the field. Diamond in the rough? Give me a break. There are NONE of those on the FA market currently.

Banks gives us a different dimension on offense other teams have to respect even if we don't use it much. It's stupid to get rid of something teams have to plan for.

Next year? If we can replace him with someone more talented, then fine. But not after game 6 of the season. Think about it.

He's just not making any plays. Plain and simple.

......and I can't stand it watching him running backwards on punts just trying to track down the kick. Seriously! Just stand 15 yards deeper and run up to the ball instead of back peddling! He's not even giving himself a chance! Oh well, I guess I can't blame him 100%. After all, his special teams coach is a waste of oxygen.

Take away Banks and you take away a significantly effective package within the offense.

Can Robinson or Moss do what Banks does in the triple option? Maybe, but unless they've been practicing it all season long, they're likely not ready to simply jump into that position. Banks' strength isn't his top speed, which Robinson comes close to (and may even exceed). Banks' strength is getting up to top speed, which he does quicker than anyone on the roster by a wide margin (from what I've seen). It's those first three or four steps that can allow him to turn the corner. Not sure Moss still has that, and I'm not sure Robinson has it either.

He can be a huge threat on paper, just hasn't panned out much so far. Honestly, I think he still is playing through the injury, and it may be showing with the lack of explosiveness on special teams. I also don't like that he walks off the field after plays, back when I played, if you got caught walking anywhere, even from one drill to the next, you ran hills lol

So, you'd cut Banks and bring back Cundiff as a return man and options player? Again, who are we adding?

Anyway, Banks led the league in kickoff returns last year. It's unfortunate that the NFL has neutered kickoffs or he'd be more valuable. As is he isn't really adding much and is in the "cuttable" bottom of the roster.

I think Shanahan is using him on too many plays in the backfield, as if he's Percy Harvin. But I do think he could add a lot...potentially. The whole team is young so I don't mind if we keep him around to see if he develops, or the coordinators can find good uses for him.

I'm keeping him. I like what I see when they line him up in the backfield. It's a different look. Not only do they have to account for Griffin, Morris and the other playmakers, but Banks also is a threat. Not so much in this game, but I like the option to go to it if the offense is stalling

He is no longer running fearless! He is not returning back kicks or punts like he has anything to prove. He's sort of crow hopping side to side and then taking the quickest path to the sideline on punts. On kickoffs his presense hasnt been warrented because hes not getting many opportuinites.

Although I think he's expendable at this point, I'm going to cling to the hope that Banks lining up makes defenses blink/flinch at least a little bit. They may be tackling him before he can take off (on offense in particular, not returns), but opposing coaches are admittedly afraid of the ways the Redskins line up with RG3; options, zone read, etc. A game is 60 minutes. The more we make defenses think, the better, and Brandon DOES have the speed to go all the way, he just needs a perfectly open lane blocked for him, or a guy to fall down or something.

We'll see. This offense is growing. He could be a little tricky part for defenses, and a possibility (although rare/unlikely) to break a big play.

Archived