Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

Sisters.  B-. was a lot funnier than I thought it would be.  90 minutes of Tina Fey and Amy dropping dozens of F-bombs and penis jokes.  Half the SNL cast was in this one, no surprise there.  A few of the subplots weren't necessary, but it's not like I was expecting greatness from this movie so I didn't care.  I was pleasantly surprised to laugh as much as I did.  

Sisters. B-. was a lot funnier than I thought it would be. 90 minutes of Tina Fey and Amy dropping dozens of F-bombs and penis jokes. Half the SNL cast was in this one, no surprise there. A few of the subplots weren't necessary, but it's not like I was expecting greatness from this movie so I didn't care. I was pleasantly surprised to laugh as much as I did.

It's Stevia!

That guy killed it.

• Like 1

Straight_Outta_Compton_poster.jpg

Movie about the rise of one of the greatest rap groups of all time, NWA, the issues thdy dealt with concerning their surroundings/public image, and the issues that eventually tore them apart

Amazing movie. I was literally blown away by the acting performance of all these guys, mainly Ice Cube's kid. I mean holy ****... That was damn near literally the real Ice Cube I thought I was watching. And the dude that played Suge Knight, wow.

They nailed it. Completely nailed it.

• Like 3

hqdefault.jpg

Somewhere in the near future, single people face a choice: Join a program to find a mate in forty-five days or be transformed into an animal.

The Lobster.  B+.  Mother. Of. God.  This was a weird movie.  I get what Yorgos was trying to do, I'm pretty sure nothing went over my head, and spent 30 minutes reading reviews/interpretations of the film to make sure I dind't miss anything.  The movie was well acted, but it still felt a little empty at times.  The substance was there, he was trying to make a point about our obsession with being in a relationship and how there's "something wrong" with single people.  First half of the movie was great, but it kinda took a left turn about halfway through when Colin makes a decision.   A lot of subtle humor, and Colin made me genuinely care about his character, but I never felt "all in" with this one.  Still enjoyed it, though.  WEIRD.

Lot of big names.  Colin Farrell, John C. Reilly, Rachel Weisz, Lea Seydoux.  

This was Yorgos Lanthimos' first film in English (he's Greek), and the only other movie of his I've seen was Dogtooth, which was really really good, but weird and disturbing.  As I expected, The Lobster was just as weird.  

The Lobster is sitting right at a 90% on Rotten, I'd say that's about right.  Maybe a little lower at 85%, but professional critics' opinions trump mine.

Edited by Chew
  • Like 1

All,

Took more flights so I binged watch some movies on the plane:

"Godfather" and "Part II" (didn't see last 30 minutes)

I've seen bits and pieces, but not everything all the way through.  First one was awesome!  Second one - meh... I don't understand why it's also highly rated- the flash back's to Vito are pretty awesome, but the Michael Corleone story isn't that great - first one is much better. 

"Assassination" (Korean Movie, 2015)

This one I had to watch over a couple flights but it was great.  My wife is Korean, so I could be biased.

Story of assassination attempt against Japanese General during pre-World War II times (Japanese occupied Seoul). 

It actually took me a couple of re-starts to understand what the heck was going on. 

"Dr. Strangelove"

So great I watched it twice during my travels.  Such an awesomely enjoyable movie -- this one is one of my favorites. 

All,

Took more flights so I binged watch some movies on the plane:

"Godfather" and "Part II" (didn't see last 30 minutes)

I've seen bits and pieces, but not everything all the way through. First one was awesome! Second one - meh... I don't understand why it's also highly rated- the flash back's to Vito are pretty awesome, but the Michael Corleone story isn't that great - first one is much better.

I prefer the first one as well, simply because of Brando but I think part 2 is a masterpiece as well and a very close 2nd.

It was a very modern movie ahead of its time when it released by showing the two different timelines throughout the movie.

It's incredibly well acted and is easily my favorite Pacino performance. I admit some of the Cuba/Herman Roth stuff is confusing the first time you see it from Michael's storyline. I personally find his story really entertaining, seeing the way he deals with each issue that comes up including the Senate hearing with the Pentangeli witness. It's also great seeing Vito's backstory, a character we all loved and how his family came to be.

However, I think the greatness of the movie is in how it juxtaposes the difference in how Vito came to power and established his empire by building his family and pulling people close to him through acts of kindness/favors versus Michael who pushes people away and easily casts them out of his life culminating in the murder of his own brother, leaving him an old and lonely man, reflecting on the past sins of his life in the final shot.

The flashback scene at the dinner table is masterful, showing Fredo as the only one that supports Michael's decision to join the military, how Michael was always the outcast among them and how his desire to stay out of the family business, was ultimately a failure and he has lost everyone close to him. Michael shows a desire to assimilate with America and risk his life for his country over fulfilling his blood destiny snd becoming involved in the family business. It's quite tragic seeing him in this scene and knowing what he became. Not to mention 3 of the people in that room Michael has killed.

I just think all the themes and story angles flow together beautifully. The final shot of Michael alone outside, older, wrinkled, gray hair coming in reflecting as the theme plays and the movie ends is probably my favorite final shot of a movie ever. Works on so many levels. There is a lot to think about with this movie, long after it's over .

I could go much deeper but I'll leave it at that haha

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

Want to see the Relevant movie so badly! But heard it is very long like nearly three hours. I have to really to take a huge special movie to do that.

We saw the 11:40am showing and walked out around 2:30 so hes, very long lol.

Long movies don't bother me but I thought it was worth it. This isn't nonstop action though so it might feel long for others

Saw The Revenant last night and Screamers (1996 sci-fi) tonight.

The Revenant - the positives. It was shot very well (although painfully pretentious at times) and I liked Gleeson as the captain.

The Revenant - the negatives. I'm about to blast it so be careful reading if you haven't seen it or you mindlessly love Leo ;) This is the longest movie I've ever watched...as in it felt like a grueling, painful five hours. My friend that I went with, who loves any film with Leo, said the same thing. It dragged on forever and I actually found myself looking at a wall in boredom. The situations/events were either absurd or deus ex machina over and over. I know I'll get heat for this but I think Hardy and DiCaprio are overrated and this cemented it for me. Hardy mumbled and grunted with the same singlular facial expression (just like in all his other movies except Bronson) and Leo didn't bring anything to the table that someone else couldn't do. He filmed in the snow and ate some raw liver, that's about it. Yes I am a hater. A very disappointed hater after all the hype.

It gets a C. The cinematography was its saving grace.

Screamers. Mid-90's sci-fi cheese and grit. It did an honorable job of creating it's own lore. The locations where it was filmed and its industrial set-design created a dismal atmosphere - shades of Total Recall when on Mars. I'd give it a C-plus/low B as it holds up fairly well.

I waited on this review because i normally like slow movies with "boring" buildups to a tense ending but i found myself often wondering when the movie would end. Everyone is saying this is a great, epic, bear scene 10/10 movie. It is an above average movie with the window dressing of a great movie.

This is a pretty movie. The snow and blood contrast (and there is a lot of it) is great. The landscape is gorgeous. The CGI was impressive at times. The camerman was annoying and pretentious. Constant views of the camera pointing upward at trees and ****. Overly long, jerk me off pans of the scenery. It took me out of the movie. These things are supposed to add to the movie and keep the viewer immersed; they did not for me.

The acting wasnt nearly as good as everyone thinks. Leo was miscast. He just didnt fit as a fur trading frontiersman survivalist and their wasnt a lot for him to work with other than screams of pain. Hardy didnt convinve me as a villian. A lot of his actions as well as the general's didnt involve logic. I wasnt buying the father-son relationship, consequently i didnt really care about the son's murder or the revenge plot.

I was rolling my eyes at Leo's surviving and traveling all that way after such a brutal bear attack. Likely sub zero temps, infection probably all over, no food or water, a long way to travel. yeah... no. However, I had no doubt that Leo would somehow survive and avenge his son's murder. Boring.

Why do trailers ruin parts of the movie? I wasnt worried about the Indians chasing Leo because I knew from the trailer that he would ride his horse off a cliff. Stupid.

This movie had A List written all over it. Producers, actors, camermen, etc, but the characters were uninteresting/unbelievable and the movie moved slowly from one boring/predictable scene to another with not enough interesting action to pull me along.

The things that this movie got wrong were the things that Apacalypto got right:

-the main villian was pretty threatening

-i cared a whole lot more about Jaguar Paw finding his family because more effort was put into their development

-they had a great (for the time) jaguar scene and an awesome extended chase

-i figured Jaguar Paw would succeed and save his family but there were many legitimate obstacles he had to overcome to do so. he wasnt invincible.

-the deaths of Jaguar Paw's friends and enemies were immersive and well directed.

Ill give it a 7/10.

Go watch Unforgiven if you want a slow burning tense revenge flick.

Edited by sportjunkie07
  • Like 2

What We Do In The Shadows.

A documentary style comedy about Vampire flatmates in New Zealand. A very clever film with some outstanding wordplay and lines, and several parts had me cracking up. I normally despise (if not hate) reality tv shows and obnoxious shaky-cam, but this movie pulled it off well. I can't get over how bizarre yet logical this premise actually was, so kudos to cast, crew, and director. 9/10.

Oh, and the director, who also played the character Viago, is the director for the upcoming Thor: Ragnarok. I have no ******* idea what to expect now lol.

Straight Outta Compton was pretty good.  I give it a solid B+

A couple things:  None of the main actors looked like any of the people they were playing.  Which might be fine if the people lived a long time ago and you might not be familiar with how they really looked, but the guy playing Dr. Dre looked nothing like Dre, same with Ren.  The guy playing Eazy E sort of looked like Eric Wright, but it was mainly the hair that completed the look.  Cube's kid definitely looked like him and Yella sorta looked similar.  I laughed when I saw someone supposedly playing Snoop, it wasn't even close.  The guy playing Tupac looked like Tupac though.  The guy playing Suge Knight had these big soft puppy dog eyes.  Found it hard to find him believable, needed that random beat down scene to buy into it.   

I also don't believe that NWA was close to getting back together before Eazy-E died.  I've never heard that anywhere.  

Nitpicking, but that White Sox hat didn't debut until 1991 or so.  Eazy-E is wearing it in the opening scene which takes place in the mid-late 80s.  

Film covers a lot of ground, a lot happened to those guys in a few short years.  

• Like 1

I've seen a few new flicks recently.

The Big Short: A

Fantastic. I'm almost through the book, and saw the movie this past weekend. Pretty damn good performances. The movie did a pretty good job of breaking down boring wall street concepts/lingo into something the average Joe could understand. I'm not sure it's worthy of a best picture nod, but it was a very good film.

The Revenant: A

Leo at his finest. The story was compelling, and though the movie is long, and could have been cut down a bit, it easily kept my attention throughout. The music, cinematography, and costume design to an amazing job of making you feel like you are on the frontier of America. Leo and Hardy's performances are amazing.

Star Wars Force Awakens: A-

Yet another damn good flick. I've never been a big SW nerd, but I had to see what the hype was about. The story, VFX, and acting was top notch. I think the whole story evolving around yet another "Death Star" was a worn out trope at this point. I really hope they can make a proper SW film without the need for a death star in every movie. I could see THAT characters death coming from a mile away, but it adds weight to the movie. Pretty good. I'll be there for part 8.

Heroin, Cape Cod: A

This was a one hour documentary on HBO that following the lives of several heroin users over a significant amount of time. It's a real, deep, inside look at the lives of some people who are strung out and suffering from addiction. It's a pretty powerful documentary. It makes me glad I haven't been bitten by the addiction bug, like so many others have. Worth a watch if you have HBO.

• Like 2

Straight Outta Compton was pretty good. I give it a solid B+

I also don't believe that NWA was close to getting back together before Eazy-E died. I've never heard that anywhere

Snoop Dogg was definitely the worst casting they did but he is also the most famous and easily recognizable imo, he's everywhere.

I thought the guy playing Dre had the soft face and Dre eyes so I was good there and some scenes with Cube's son, especially when he has a hat on and was angry looked exactly like Ice Cube. Not really even familiar enough with the rest to comment.

As far as the reunion, I have a quote that is forever burned into my memory. I was watching USA I think, during the mid 90s watching WWF and they had this music show that came on afterwards, can't remember the name of it. Anyway, it was a concert type show and they ran promos for this nonstop. I don't recall if this was before E died or some sort of quasi reunion after his death, I just remember a promo for an upcoming show that ran for like a week straight and it had a quote from Cube saying "NWA getting back together is giving the people what they want"

I remember this because my dad happened to be watching and slammed his plate down, noticeably disgusted and walked away letting out a slew of expletives at modern society and gangsta rap and black culture in general etc.

So not sure what exactly that reunion thing was but I remember at least that one quote.

• Like 2

Inside Out - A+.  Top 5 Pixar movie.  Can't get enough of Lewis Black, he's so angry LOL.  

Force Awakens - A.  Having read through the ST:FA spoiler thread, I won't even begin to pretend like I know all of the lore with the books and animated movies.  But like most good Americans, I've seen ep. 4-6 at least 25-30 times, and 1-3 a few times.  

Awesome movie. Felt like this one laid the groundwork for the next two flicks, and I'm eagerly anticipating the next installment.  It was kinda weird watching a Star Wars movie with modern graphics.  Felt like a star wars, but with amazing CGI.  took me a good 30 minutes to get used to it.  JJ did a great job in recreating the same feel that the originals gave you.  The ****pit cameras and scene transitions effects were just like old times.  

People cheered at the beginning and end...almost got caught up in the excitement shed a tear.  almost.  one blink and it would've fallen.

• Like 1

Pixar actually has to 2 in a row that I think are their weakest entries (not counting the Cars/Planes spinoff crap).

Don't get me wrong, I liked Inside Out..but I didn't think it was anywhere close to their previous stuff. The same with The Good Dinosaur. 

Cannot wait for Finding Dory in June, though. :)

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 1