Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

Good deal. I've been meaning to grab t on redbox just haven't got around to it.

I don't have the image but I did laugh my ass off at the new Vacation movie. Much better than I expected

Bought the five movie bundle for all the Vacation movies on Vudu.  Need to finish up the new one, was actually pretty damn funny from what I saw before I fell asleep the other night.  Wife finished it and thought it was hilarious.  Wasn't expecting it to be that good either.

Bought the five movie bundle for all the Vacation movies on Vudu. Need to finish up the new one, was actually pretty damn funny from what I saw before I fell asleep the other night. Wife finished it and thought it was hilarious. Wasn't expecting it to be that good either.

Chris Hemsworth's cameo was pretty funny. Not sure if you made it to that part yet.

I enjoyed the movie quite a bit

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

PS8ls.jpg

-A mild-mannered radio executive strives to become the best stepdad to his wife's two children, but complications ensue when their freewheeling and freeloading real father arrives, forcing him to compete for the affection of the kids.-

Similar vein as The Other Guys, Will Ferrell plays the sensitive pushover step-dad where Wahlberg plays the badass alpha male biological dad.

Some good laughs to be had. Im a big fan of both guys so I might have enjoyed it more than others. Thomas Haden Church plays Ferrrell's boss and has some pretty hilarious scenes too.

It's what you'd expect from these two, funny but nothing really special or unique. I liked it though.

I watched Focus on cable. I like conman heist movies, but they all are by the numbers. Even when they look like they busted, they're always one step ahead.

And Margot Robbie should be in every movie as far as I'm concerned. She might be the next "it" girl that will actually live up to the buzz.

I saw The Big Short.  Kind of a quirky movie about guys who made a bunch of money off the housing market crash.

I thought it was great.  Steve Carrell and Christian Bale were both incredible.  Simply unbelievable that nobody ever went to jail for that stuff.  The greed of the banks was simply infuriating.  

I won't be surprised to see a few nominations for this film.  A very solid piece of work, but Sicario is still the best film I've seen this year. :)

• Like 1

Bone Tomahawk:

Kurt Russell plays a sheriff who leads a group of men trying to rescue his deputy and female doctor that were kidnapped by a group of cannibal savages.

Highly recommend - good characters - well acted. It's very violent, graphic be forewarned...

Prevented from posting image for some reason...

Been binging the last few weeks, too many to go into great detail

The Revenant - A+.  Oscar nomination for Leo is a lock, and he probably has the best chance to win.  Get that monkey off your back, big 'Cap!

Hateful 8 - A-.  Really good, but a little long.  Not quite a top 5 Quentin joint for me, but right outside at say 7th

Vacation - ehhhh.  C.  laughed a few times.  They tried to play the Griswald spinoff, and that aspect failed horribly.  

Maze Runner 2 - B.  I loved the first one, but for some reason the trailer for the sequel looked weak as hell.  I was glad to be wrong and wife aand I had a really fun time watching this movie.  

Sicario (again) - A+.  Holy smokes, this movie is still intense as **** after a second watch.  Blunt and Brolin were solid, but Benicio stole the show.  One of the darkest, most "evil" movies I've seen in a while.  Sicaro is an edge of your seat joint from start to finish.  Such a good movie.  There's no way the music in this movie isn't nominated for best soundtrack/original score.  

Antman - B+.  Paul Rudd is my boy, and he was pretty good in this one.  I've heard a lot of folks say they don't like it, but I can't see why.  

Joy - B.  Another Cooper/Lawrence tag team.  Interesting enough story to keep me interested, but it was mostly Jennifer in this one.  She was pretty good.  A little slow, but this wasn't exactly a Hunger Games plot, so I get it.

The Good Dinosaur - Pretty good movie. Not sure if it's a Pixar classic, but solid flick.  I'm a grown ass man, but TGD had me a blink away from Niagara Falls.

Anomalisa - A+.  One of the coolest movies I've seen in 2016.  There are only 3 actors (voices) in this one.  Very deep on the feel-o-meter.  Kaufman is the same guy who did Being John Malkovich and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.  Similar vibe here.  Loved this movie!  Anomalisa is my "Chew's hipster pick" for 2016 LOL. 

Concussion - B.  Better than I was expecting.  They went a little overboard at times with the portrayal of guys suffering from CTE, but I guess the film had to get it's point across to folks who aren't aware of what's going on with the concussiion lawsuit and the NFL.  Albert Brooks was my favorite part of this movie.

Creed - B+.  Michael B. Jordan is going to be around for a long time.  Outside of Fantastic 4, I've loved all his movies.  They did a good job paying homage to the Rocky series, but "Creed" could stand alone by itself if it had to.

The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - B-.  I enjoyed the first one, so I finally gave part 2 a try.  It was okay.  Worth the watch if you liked the first one.  Richard Gere is one swagged out dude.  Dayum!

Room - A+.  Multiple Academy Award Nomination guaranteed.  Depressing as ****, but worth the ride.  Brie Larson isn't exactly a big name in Hollywood, but she will be after she wins the Oscar for best actress in February.

The Keeping Room - B-.  Not bad little Indie film.  Civil War suspense/drama.  Didn't know Sam Worthington was in this.  Kinda neat to see a film where  the Union Army is portrayed as the bad guy.  Never heard of Brit Marling before this movie, but she's hawt.

Beasts of No Nation - A.  I would have never watched this movie unless the wife made me.  It's one of those films that sit in your Netflix Queue for over a year but you never give it a go.  It was worth the watch.  Idris Alba is a ****ing chameleon.  Wouldn't be surprised if he gets nominated for best supporting actor.  The little kid was brilliant.  Apparently BoNN was Netflix's first ever full length film, and it was amazing.  They need to make more, quickly.

Burnt - C.  meh, it was okay.  Doesn't hold a candle to Favreau's "Chef" from last year.  Wife loves her some Bradley, so I had to watch even thought i heard it wasn't great  :rolleyes:

Trumbo - A.  Walt smashed it.  Any movie that involves substance abuse kinda gets to me, but the story was pretty interesting.  Typical "innocent man is wronged, woe is he" but good.

Peanuts Movie - B+.  Cute.  That's all I got.  Thought I'd be dozing off or looking at my phone during this joint but it kept me watching the entire time.

Edited by Chew
  • Like 1

fair enough.  Going into the movie, I didn't know it was a part of the Family Vacation series until he mentioned Wally World.  Then Chevy with the cameo.  Maybe i was just in a "get off my lawn" mood when I realized they were trying to tap into comedy greatness from 30 years ago.

I didn't dislike it I guess, but I wasn't thrilled.  But I'll admit i did laugh. 

THats funny, Beasts of No Nation has been in my Netflix queue for weeks I just can't bring myself to watch it. Seems heavy. I'll check it out eventually

Heard nothing but great things about Room and Brie Larson as well, can't wait to see that. She popped right away in 21 Jump Street and has been great in everything since. Definitely an up and comer to keep an eye on.

I liked Antman but it was kind of insignificant in the grand scheme of things. I liked the heist aspect of it, that was refreshing but the ultimate battle taking place on a shining time station train set was dumb. It never felt like there were real stakes involved. Even if the guy gets away, they'd just call the Avengers to deal with him lol. Also, I'm tired of marvel movies having straight lousy villains. Only good one ever has been Loki.

• Like 1

revenant-leo.jpg

A frontiersman on a fur trading expedition in the 1820's fights for survival after being mauled by a bear.

---

Wow, this was an amazing film. I completely loved it.

First of all, Leo is just incredible. One of the best performances I've ever seen by an actor. Gritty, brutal heartfelt...I've never seen anything like it. Every expression is worthwhile and not wasted. He wears like 6 different emotions on his face at once. It's just fantastic.

The rest of the cast: I thought Tom Hardy was great as always too. He makes a great villain and I thought he channeled end-of-TWD-season-2 Shane a lot in his character. I'm not necessarily sure he was even that wrong with his mentality either which further makes him a strong villain.

I didn't even know Domhnall Gleeson was in this since I stayed away from trailers and all news about it. But he was excellent as the expeditions captain. After Ex Machina, this and Star Wars, he is definitely killing things and on the upswing.

Also Will Poulter does a really nice job as a young and naive trapper, struggling with the guilt of a certain event.

The plot is fairly routine, it's basically survival at all costs with some vengeance thrown in. It's just seeing this all play out in all its brutality that is so stunning. Some parts are a little convenient for the sake of the plot but it doesn't take away from movie really.

The movie is punctuated with incredible cinematography and some really well framed shots. Certain scenes you just really appreciate the way it was shot, the bear scene and a quick horseback chase are two that come to mind. The soundtrack is a perfect compliment to the action and story on screen as well. It's noticeable that there is no artificial lighting used, only natural lighting for the time of day they were shooting. It gives the film a slightly unique and realistic look and it adds to the realism and believability of the struggle the characters are under.

Overall, just an amazing film.

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 2

Yeah, The Revenant was awesome. Some of the best scenery I've seen in a movie in a long time. Epic revenge tale, as well as the resolve to hold on and survive in dire situations

Im not big fan of animal cgi, but technology may be bridging the gap, because that bear scene looked as real as anything I've ever seen

Acting was so well done you could almost feel Leo's mental and physical pain as he's crawling around trying to stay alive. And yeah, you could also understand Hardys characters actions in a way, which made for a deeper revenge plot

Early candidate for movie of the year

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 2

they released Revenant in "select cities" on Christmas day, just so it would be eligible for award consideration for 2015.  Latest rumors are that, though it's on the bubble, The Revenant probably won't be nominated for movie of the year.  But Leo is a shoe-in for Best Actor.  Also saying Revenant will probably be nominated for best cinematography (duh), best director, and best writing adapted screenplay.  Hardy was a monster.

you guys are better with words than your boy, I have nothing to add.  This joint gets an A+ in my book.  I feel like the 81% it's getting on rotten is disrespectful as hell.  The same type of critics who don't like movies like The Revenant also didn't like Sicario.  I don't understand how people who aren't open to all types of movies can be film critics.  

• Like 2