Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

I was joking. It's terrible, but the girl that plays the Rocks daughter has one of the best racks you've ever seen. So there's that...

I wouldn't go that far, nice rack..........but not one of the best lol.  I liked the movie, it's a world ending, explosions, thriller.....some of y'all have way too many expectations for movies.

Rylance is an outstanding actor and he gave a terrific performance in Bridge of Spies. But damn I was hoping Sly would win.

I probably would have voted for Ruffalo though.

He was very good but he spoke more in his acceptance speech than he did in the movie. And it wasn't a movie framed around and highlighting a small role like A Few Good Men or Silence of the Lambs.

Didn't think he deserved the win and it felt out of left field IMO.

He was very good but he spoke more in his acceptance speech than he did in the movie. And it wasn't a movie framed around and highlighting a small role like A Few Good Men or Silence of the Lambs.

Didn't think he deserved the win and it felt out of left field IMO.

Agreed. I think it was a lifetime achievement award for his reputation as the great stage actor of his time.

Just saw this on his wikipedia page:

oKPASdo.png

Edited by stevemcqueen1

The Revenant - A+. Oscar nomination for Leo is a lock, and he probably has the best chance to win.

I had seen all the best picture noms at that point, except for Brooklyn. :)

Anomalisa was SO much better than Inside Out. Wow. The Pixar machine keeps rolling.

Just saw a movie called The Adventures of Buckaroo Bonzai Across The 8th Dimension. It's about a Neurosurgeon/Physicist/Rockstar/Martial Artist/Action Hero who saves the world from aliens that escaped their 8th dimension prison. Pretty solid cast of names in it, too, with Peter Weller, John Lithgow, Christopher Lloyd, Jeff Goldblum, Clancy Brown, and I even spotted Johnathan Banks (Mike Ehrmantraut from Breaking Bad) and Yakov Smirnoff.

This movie just sells itself, doesn't it?

Cult classic! Some really classic lines too.

• Like 2

A lot of the complaining about the lack of diversity in the Oscar nominees was intellectually dishonest.  The agenda of those calling for a boycott of the Oscars was a call for black actors to be nominated, as well as a call for there to be more black members of the Academy.  It's not actually an honest critique of the diversity of the industry and the nominees.

I liked that Chris Rock chose to focus his criticism primarily on the lack of opportunities for black actors and filmmakers in Hollywood productions and studios, rather than focusing on the skin color of the nominees making the case for racial prejudice in the industry.  I thought this was a compelling and fair argument.  I suspect he's right that it's here where prejudice plays a role in the under-representation of African Americans in the film industry.

1.) There is no mandate that African American actors be nominated for awards, nor for there to be any diversity whatsoever in the nominations.  Awards nominations are based on the subjective tastes of the members of the Academy.  I think there could be much more justification of a mandate for African American actors to be given a proportional amount of work in the industry.

2.) There was diversity in the nominations.  This is an awards ceremony for a film industry that includes European and Oceanic English speakers who are actors and filmmakers, as well as other North Americans, not just Americans.  It's a mistake to assume all of the white skinned nominees are the same and in fact, half of the actors nominated were not Americans.  It's a mistake to pin the racial baggage/history of racism of white Americans on Europeans, Canadians, and Oceanic peoples just because their skin is white.

3.) The claim that African American actors are underrepresented in the film industry because none received one of the 20 nominations is not super compelling. Using the logic than nominees are representative of the population, one nominee equals 5%.  African Americans represent about 8 % of the population of the United States, UK, Canada, Australia, Ireland, and New Zealand.  So an average of 1.5 African American nominees per year would equal true representation.  That's such a small number that you go from near proper representation to zero representation based on whether a single African American actor gets nominated.

A better case about proportionate representation could be made by finding out if African Americans are making up at least 8 percent of the actors working in studio films in a given year.  I don't have any data about this, but I bet the answer is no, African Americans are not playing 8% of the available roles.  This is why I liked that Chris Rock focused on this issue when he criticized the lack of working opportunities for black actors, rather than the lack of awards nominations.

• Like 3

Gods of Egypt. TOO MUCH CGI. My goodness did they overdo it in this movie. Had a few OK action scenes, but overall it is a very cheesy movie. Give it a 1 star rating or D+.  They spent a lot of money on this movie and I'd be surprised if they even make half of it back.

Innarutu just won back to back Best Director awards and he is a non-American Latin man.

I think the Elba snub was really just due to the Netflix situation. Haven't seen Creed but was B Jordan really better than the 5 nominees they had? You don't want to nominate someone just because they're African American if you don't really believe their work was better. That's counter productive to everyone.

Maybe it was just that simple. Again though, the problem

IMO is that outside of Elba, Jordan and Smith, what other roles and chances were there for Oscar material? That's where the increased opportunities come into play.

Just my take but I don't want to derail the thread any further.

• Like 1

Haven't seen Creed but was B Jordan really better than the 5 nominees they had?  

No.  Creed was solid, and Michael B was good, but not Oscar worthy good.  I agree about the Netflix angle with big idris.

And then there's big Willie.  I love, love Will Smith.  Even though he and Jada have always been a little weird, and now have some weird ass kids.  But he and his wife really hurt my heart when they started playing the "racist Hollywood" thing.  Hey, Will.  you are worth over a hundred million dollars because of Hollywood.  Boo hoo you actually acted for the first time and didn't play "Will Smith" in a film, and the the academy didn't tip their cap to your performance.  Smith earned his noms for Ali and Pursuit.  Concussion was good, but not Oscar good.  Deal with it.

Few things are more annoying as a black person than watching these self-righteous black celebs speaking out against "injustice" and think/feel like they're speaking for all of black america.  Bro, S-T-F-U.

Edited by Chew
  • Like 2

I went to see Deadpool over the weekend and i really enjoyed it. Was getting sick of the comic book movies but this was way better than expected. 

I must be one of the few who left the theater kind of nonplussed. I think with all the hype I was just expecting more. I didn't find it to be hilarious and didn't think the plot/story was all that great.

It was a fine movie, but you guys set me up for a fall. :(

Yeah the call for the boycott and cries of racism in the Academy came off as very self serving of Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith. Like a sleazy way to get yourself a nomination next time. Will Smith is one of the most successful and bankable actors in America period. There is nothing stopping him from getting just about any role he wants.

Idris Elba getting nominated also doesn't help African Americans become better represented in the film industry through the Academy Awards. He's not an African American, he's English. The issue at hand is that there are too few working opportunities for African Americans in film making, particularly as executives, directors, and actors for them to be proportionately represented in the industry. I also don't think changing the ethnic composition of the Academy is really going to address that issue.

• Like 1

I think you could read African American as "color" in regards to the Oscar nominations and why Elba was included in that discussion.

The president of the academy is an African American woman so I don't think it's intentional snubs, moreso lack of opportunities.

There is also a responsibility of the studio to push the movie as Oscar worthy and partake in the politics of it all which I have heard wasn't the case with Sony I believe and Creed. Concussion turned people off as pandering honestly with a topic many are tired of. Will Smith has been fairly acknowledged by the academy for deserving roles in the past.

• Like 1