Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

I loved Avengers 2.5, err Captain America: Civil War.  It got an A.   Really nothing wrong with that one.

Saw, Money Matters and I give it a solid B.  Great to see Julia Roberts and George Clooney paired up again.

This weekend is a triple threat:  Neighbors 2, Angry Birds, The Nice Guys.  All 3 interest me.

• Like 1

The Nice Guys.  It's awesome.  Gosling plays the moron to Crowe's wise guy.  The yarn gets a little frayed around the edges at points, but you don't care because you're having such a good time.  I really miss these kinds of flicks.  Testosterone charged, irrelevant, popcorn stuff.  Shane Black fans should be proud.

• Like 2

The Nice Guys.  It's awesome.  Gosling plays the moron to Crowe's wise guy.  The yarn gets a little frayed around the edges at points, but you don't care because you're having such a good time.  I really miss these kinds of flicks.  Testosterone charged, irrelevant, popcorn stuff.  Shane Black fans should be proud.

I agree, great movie. Gets an A- from me.  Saw it today.

My triple treat of movies this weekend, ended today with Neighbors 2:Sorority Rising.   It was bad.  I can only give a D.  The premise didn't work good the second time around; especially with sorority this time.

Next up:  Alice Through the Looking Glass and X-Men:Apocalypse

Edited by Rdskns2000

My triple treat of movies this weekend, ended today with Neighbors 2:Sorority Rising.   It was bad.  I can only give a D.  The premise didn't work good the second time around; especially with sorority this time.

Next up:  Alice Through the Looking Glass and X-Men:Apocalypse

You might want to change your plans.

Watch Star Wars Revenge of the Sith last night with my kids.  I tried to get them to watch something else, but they wanted to see where Anakin changed to "Darth Gator" so I relented.

starwars3-3.jpg

I've watched this movie a few times, and generally like it. However, I just get this feeling every time that while the premise was very solid, the acting was terrible and pacing of the transition strained rational belief.  I understand they basically had a single movie to complete the change, but there's nothing in the plot to really suggest that Anakin isn't (1) really, really dumb, or (2) just a bad dude waiting for a chance to rule the galaxy.  I wish they'd made the choice more believable by having a villian on the jedi council that caused Anakin to align with the emperor, or if they had made Obi-wan into a flawed character responsible for the rift.  Just something other than "hey, this weird dude tells me that I can keep people from dying. So I guess I'll kill the Jedi Master right after weird guy tells me he's really a sith. And none of this will be recorded on video."  Then he just starts killing everyone, including a bunch of little kids.  Don't you think his wife would be a little bit upset after hearing about all this?  Like, grounds for divorce and full custody of the children type of upset?  

Not to be a revisionist story-teller, but perhaps the best way to handle this would have been to have Anakin make his transition after some sort of Jedi betrayal, and after the Emperor had killed off most of the Jedi (perhaps Anakin unknowingly provides some sort of intelligence that allows for the killings, then realizes what he's done and feels he no longer has a choice in the matter). Then he has his battle with Obi-wan after Obi-wan mistakenly harms Padme while he's looking for Anakin.  Anakin gets word, pledges his allegiance to the emperor, and the duel with Obi-wan ensues. 

• Like 3

xmen. I see why issue sitting at around 50% on rotten vs Captain America's 92%. it was a fun watch, but the movie didn't have much higher heart. felt like they tried to both continue on the story from the last xmen film, and also create the origins of the younger crew.

the destruction in this movie might be bigger than any other marvel movie.

I love Oscar Isaac. Munn has some great legs.

13 Hours Benghazi.  It was weird seeing so much "Michael Bay Flare" in a non sci-fi movie LOL.  Knowing how this was going to end, it was tough to watch at times.  Not to get all soft in front of the fellas, but watching this movie on Memorial Day kinda got to me.  I tried choking back tears, but a few fell.

The biggest knock on this movie from critics is that it spent way too long "building up" to the attack, and then it moved too fast once the shooting started.  I agree 100%.  That said, the action in this movie was top notch. #Bay  After the first hour sets everything up, there's 90 minutes of intense urban combat.  RPGs, pickup-mounted .50s, Assault Rifles,grenade launchers.  Real deal Holyfield ****.  Explosions, car chases, buildings on fire.  

The security contractors knew it wasn't going to end well, but they went anyway to save American lives.  Nothing but respect for our fallen heroes.  Could the movie itself could have been better?  Yes.  But I was so caught up in the the story of these bearded, barbarian badasses, I didn't care.  RIP Sean Smith, Glen Doherty, Tyrone Woods, Christopher Stevens.   Solid flick, worth the watch.  

Edited by Chew

• 2 weeks later...

"X-Men: Apocalypse" got a B from me.  Good movie, though not as good as the X-Men: First Class.

"Alice Through the Looking Glass" also got a B from me.   It may have flopped but I had no problems with it. Enjoyed the story.

"Now You See Me 2" gets an A from me.  If you liked the first one, you should like this one.  This movie continues the story and has some surprising twists and turns.  There's a part of it, that I felt was better than the first one and there's a part I felt was missing from the first one. Still, I loved the movie.

Next up for me: The Conjuring 2.

• Like 1

The Visit - M. Night joint. It was okay. Wasn't great, wasn't horrible. A few true "oh ****" moments. I couldn't see what was coming, which I liked. B

Hush - I enjoyed this flick. It's literally getting 100% rating on rotten. It's a typical slasher/home invasion flick, but with a decent twist. No spoilers here as we learn this info 15 seconds into the film, but the girl is deaf. B+

How to be Single - It was okay. Typical "a group of girls in their 20s trying to find love in New York City" flick. Rebel Wilson being Rebel Wilson. I did laugh out loud a few times. B-

Edited by Chew

'The Lobster'.  Colin Farrell goes to a retreat to find a relationship partner.  The twist is you have a limited time to succeed, and if you don't, you get turned into an animal.  He chooses to become a lobster.

This is the funniest movie I have seen in a long time.  I found myself laughing out loud often, trying to hide my cackles from the older audience who obviously didn't get the memo that this was a satire.  

I don't want to give away too much.  If you like dark humor (very dark in parts), strange/quirky/art films with great direction and performances, you can't miss this flick.  Farrell, Rachel Weisz, and John C. Reilly are all worthy here.  In my opinion, easily one of the best films of the year.

• Like 2

Saw the Warcraft movie after work. I liked it but I admit if you didnt play the games it may be tough to follow and the pacing through the first act is a bit too fast.

8/10 if you played Warcraft and/or WoW, 6 ot 7/10 if you didnt

I was nerding out and loving every minute.  If you didn't play the games the movie will make no sense, probably I don't know and frankly I don't care.  That movie was for me and the millions that did play, so I don't care.  They got the orcs right and the humans were just as cheesy and self righteous as I remember. 

OK less fanboy review time.  This feels a little like John Carter to me.  An under rated movie with an insane amount of CGI that the critics love to hate and audiences simply won't show up to see.  That would be a shame for the same reasons, there is so much story left to tell.  In the case of Warcraft, they'd need about what, 10 more?  No way they'll ever be able to get the funding.  I also think Paula Patton was either weak, or her lines were poorly written.  I'd have to see it again to decide which.  Her character needed to be the strongest performance and I think it fell flat.  Gul'dan and Dorutan were great.

Also is it weird that a 2 hour movie felt too short?  It felt rushed... they probably should have gone for an HBO series instead of movie.  Or animated, I dunno.  Point is there is just too much story and no way to fund enough movies. 

Not enough murlocs.

Everest.  It was meh.  The big name guys in this one (Brolin, Gyllenhal) pretty much mailed it in with their performances.  Neither one of them seemed to put forth much effort.  Can't say I blame them, though.  Story was interesting, but pretty cut and dry.  Not much creative freedom as an actor when you're playing "just a regular guy" and don't really have to get into character.  Jason Clarke crushed it, though.  He was solid.  C.

People that try to make it to the top of Everest are out of their friggin' minds.