Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

Just saw "The Legend of Tarzan". Critics as usual hated it but the audiences seem to like it. I'll give it a B. The actor they cast as Tarzan was wooden but Margot Robbie more than made up for it. Samuel Jackson was basically himself and love Christopher Waltz as a villian.

Tarzan Unchained.

Whats'at Tarzan doin up on that vine?

jackson-samuel-django.jpg

• Like 1

Finding Dory - not as good as Nemo - but still a solid Pixar hit. The mini movie before was awesome too (like usual). 

The Martian - Not as good as the book but still a good movie. It even had a better ending than the book. I just wish some of the stuff in the book wasn't skipped. The loneliness and despair of Mark Watney wasn't conveyed as much on the film. Still, Matt Damon fit the role well. 

Zootopia - This movie is good for the kids and adults (and really, a lot of the jokes are written for the adults). Plus, it's storyline is relevant to today.  

• Like 1

Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2. I was out on these movies after the first one, I catch them long after the fact when the hit cable, and even then it's nor a priority to watch, or even pay attention. But this one was decent. Jennifer Lawrence seems miserable in these movies though. In all her movies, really. She could use some lighter fare on her resume.

And then I saw Independence Day Resurgence. Umm yeah, next question. lol

Edited by justice98
  • Like 1

Watched Southpaw yesterday on HBO for the second time. I originally saw it on opening night in the theatres. Much like one of my favorite movies ever, Warrior (Tom Hardy), Southpaw is just bad assssss! Jake Gyllenhal absolutely kills it! Motivation at its best! Soundtrack is awesome too. Its like a modernized Rocky.

... and I won't lie, it is a bit of a tear jerker too.

Edited by SemperFi Skins
  • Like 1

Made 2 attempts to see "The Secret Life of Pets". First theater, projector wasn't working. Got a movie pass. Had to go to another theater to see it. I liked it. Something different. I'll give a B+. The kids will like it. If you are a fan, there is a new Minions short before the movie.

• Like 1

De Palma.  A doc about Brian De Palma and his career as a film director.  It's really just an interview with him cut together with photos and scenes from his films, etc.  

I loved it.  I could listen to him tell these stories all day long.  Carrie, Scarface, The Untouchables, Carlito's Way...it's all in there.  There's a lot of old footage of De Niro as well, who De Palma worked with from the jump.  

I really enjoyed how he presented his films and stories.  There was a confidence, but also an understanding of the realities of making films and the pitfalls involved with the studio system.  Just a fun, engrossing flick.  I feel confident it'll be on the list for best documentary this year.

• Like 2

I'm on a bit of a documentary binge lately...

The Thin Blue Line.  It's about a murder case in Dallas and it explores the idea that the man charged with the crime could very well be innocent.  Errol Morris is a genius, he has many other docs that are worth viewing as well.  This particular one stands out for me because it was the first film, I think, that led to an overturned conviction.  

The Imposter.  This movie blew my mind.  It follows the story of a French man who assumes the identity of a missing teenager from San Antonio and all of the crazy things that unfold as a result.  One of the more unbelievable stories you will find.  Some of the details here are just mesmerizing.  

Both are on Netflix.  Both are awesome.  For you Rotten Tomato lovers, both films have 100% and 95% respectively.    

• Like 2

Saw Tarzan last weekend-GREAT movie. Thought it was going to be boring. Stayed awake for the whole thing, which, if you know me, is pretty surprising.

Then on Friday I saw Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates. Pretty hilarious movie, go see it.

The one thing I'm wondering is why Project XX hasn't even gotten a trailer released yet. IMDB says it's supposed to be in theatres august 19th....but then I checked a list of movies coming out in August on movietickets.com, and Project XX isn't listed anywhere on there. Are they re-thinking releasing the movie? Cause I've been waiting ALL SUMMER for it, I'll be angry if I can't see it.

I'm on a bit of a documentary binge lately...

The Thin Blue Line.  It's about a murder case in Dallas and it explores the idea that the man charged with the crime could very well be innocent.  Errol Morris is a genius, he has many other docs that are worth viewing as well.  This particular one stands out for me because it was the first film, I think, that led to an overturned conviction.  

The Imposter.  This movie blew my mind.  It follows the story of a French man who assumes the identity of a missing teenager from San Antonio and all of the crazy things that unfold as a result.  One of the more unbelievable stories you will find.  Some of the details here are just mesmerizing.  

Both are on Netflix.  Both are awesome.  For you Rotten Tomato lovers, both films have 100% and 95% respectively.

Just watched The Imposter yesterday after reading your post.  I give it a solid A for a documentary.  Was interesting to hear the story from both sides (the imposter and the missing childs family) along with the legal side.  

I have to admit that I wanted to punch that guy in the face, him just sitting there smirking while telling his side of the story with not a care in the world that he was ruining those poor people's lives.  I was also thinking how in the world could the family not know that wasn't their boy, with the eye color being different and him suddenly speaking with a French accent in just three years missing.  But then at the end found out that he lied about the eye drops and being forced to talk with a different accent, etc. were revealed.  

I still think if I were the family, I'd have had him DNA tested to make sure it was him, but that was back in the late 90s, so it probably wasn't as easy to do something like that as it is now.  And the fact they had lost their boy and now "found him" probably did some serious mind ****ing.  I felt so sorry for that family watching that.

• Like 1

It wasn't a new movie, and I'd seen this movie probably 50 times, but Clear and Present Danger was on one of the movie channels yesterday. I hadnt seen it in years though. Still holds up. And you realize how far the Jack Ryan movies fell off.

Speaking of documentaries...

On Thin Ice was a documentary I watched last year. There are several with that title, but this one was about 3 people racing across Antarctica to the South Pole.

1 of the racers was supposed to be Johnny Lee Miller (the actor) but he had to withdraw because of an injury. Made me realize what type of an athlete that dude is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_Thin_Ice_(TV_series)

Also..saw Secret Life of Pets on Friday. Not as good as the Despicable Me/Minions franchise but overall a solid kids movie. Lots of laughs for pet owners. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

Personally, I'll bet if given the chance, it will be an ok to above average movie. I've really never seen the level of animosity for a remake or rebranding of a movie that this one is getting. I think people are giving way too much credit to the original. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

Personally, I'll bet if given the chance, it will be an ok to above average movie. I've really never seen the level of animosity for a remake or rebranding of a movie that this one is getting. I think people are giving way too much credit to the original.

To be fair, the original is rightly beloved and the trailers for the re-boot are truly awful. But yeah, it's probably a C/C+ movie at the end of the day.

↑↑↑

Trust me, I'm the prime age group for the original. I saw it in the theateres when I was 9.  Loved it. Have seen it since probably a dozen or so times since. Loved the sequel as well. 

But c'mon, comedy wise it isn't like they are remaking Airplane or Young Frankenstein. 

• Like 1

Bridge of Spies

Love history (would've been a history teacher in another life) and the Cold War is my favorite topic so the movie is made for me. Directed by Spielberg, starring Tom Hanks as American hero James Donavan as he represents Soviet spy Rudolf Abel and then negotiates the transfer of him for captured U2 pilot Gary Powers and detained American student Frederick Pryor. Not a lot of action but a great look at the time. Def recommend. Strong B+, possible A-.

Edited by BornaSkinsFan83

Freejack. 1992 flick with Emilio Estevez, Rene Russo, Mick Jagger, and Anthony Hopkins. Bizare and mostly crappy, but good for a sci-fi fix. Overall it was very eclectic in terms of set design...cheap props and stunts mixed with a dystopian future that's mixed with cities and cars straight out of Willy Wonka. Considering other movies that came out in or around '92, Freejack looks like it came out in '82. The premise itself had potential but was lost in the stunts.

Bridge of Spies

Love history (would've been a history teacher in another life) and the Cold War is my favorite topic so the movie is made for me. Directed by Spielberg, starring Tom Hanks as American hero James Donavan as he represents Soviet spy Rudolf Abel and then negotiates the transfer of him for captured U2 pilot Gary Powers and detained American student Frederick Pryor. Not a lot of action but a great look at the time. Def recommend. Strong B+, possible A-.

Yeah I loved this. Really fascinating look at how that went down. I had never heard this story anyway so I was on the edge of my seat. I'm sure it's embellished Donovan had some serious balls

It wasn't a new movie, and I'd seen this movie probably 50 times, but Clear and Present Danger was on one of the movie channels yesterday. I hadnt seen it in years though. Still holds up. And you realize how far the Jack Ryan movies fell off.

Hubby recorded it, LOL...we'll get to it at some point, I guess.

We've got like 200 things to watch in case the Dish goes out when one of the cats happens to sneeze...